Shadows of the Soul

Part 8

The sun was setting, bathing the field in blues and grays by the time the contests were finished. The air had grown cool, and Gabrielle rubbed her bare arms as she watched the final race end, a horse with purple and yellow colors coming in ahead of all of the others. The horse was apparently Duke Lastay’s, if his sudden exultant yell was any indication.  Gabrielle watched the rider pull up, his fist lifting in the air as he rode in front of them.

It was a pretty horse, too. It was gold, with a pale mane and tail, and it held it’s head up high. Gabrielle turned and looked up at Xena. The queen was watching the horse too, with a pensive, almost sad look. “I guess you can’t win all the time.” The blond woman murmured.

Xena exhaled slowly. “He deserved the win. That’s a good animal.” She leaned on the arm of her chair, closer to Gabrielle. “Comes from good stock.”

Gabrielle studied the horse. “It’s so pretty.”

“She.”

Gabrielle turned and looked at the queen’s profile. “Do you know that horse?”

“I knew her mother.”

In all the short time she’d known Xena, it was the most emotion Gabrielle had ever heard in her voice. More even than when she’d spoken of her brother.  But she didn’t get a chance to find out about it because at that moment horns started to blow.  She winced. Xena winced even more strongly, as one of the horns went far out of tune. “Ow.”

“Yeah.” The queen pushed herself to her feet.  “Time to take the party inside.” She loosened her belt, tucking her flower under it and tightening it again. The nobles rose around her and bowed hastily as her guard formed up around her. “Come on, Gabrielle.” She extended a hand out.

After a moments hesitation, the blond woman stepped forward and joined her, shyly taking hold of the long fingered hand that curled around hers. It was so unexpected, and warmer than she’d anticipated, but Gabrielle didn’t stop to ponder it for more than a second. She was pulled into the circle of guards to Xena’s side and was happy to remain there as they started down the steps.

“Majesty!” Lastay hurried over. “Majesty, did you see my mare?”

Xena stopped and regarded him over the heads of the guards. “I saw. Nice race.” She stated. “I’ll present prizes at dinner court. Make sure all the winners show up.” She put a hand on Gabrielle’s back and started walking again, leaving the nobles behind. As they reached the lower platform, Stanislaus caught up with them.

Gabrielle was a little surprised. She hadn’t seen the seneschal for a long time, and she’d half expected to find that Xena had banished him somewhere for his plot to get rid of her. He was wary in approaching the queen, she noticed, but Xena didn’t seem surprised to find him there.

“Mistress.”

“Yes?” Xena replied. “The banquet’s prepared?”

“Yes, Mistress, it is.” The seneschal told her. “As you requested.”

“Good.”  Xena said. “I’m going to change and get this damn dust off me.” She eyed Stanislaus. “I want everything I need by my throne by the time I get there, or I’ll start rolling heads.”

“Mistress.” The man bowed.

“And make sure everyone shows up.” Xena growled.

Stanislaus bowed even more deeply, and turned, disappearing down another set of steps faster than you could think his name.

Gabrielle wondered if the queens’ back was bothering her a lot. Experimentally, she eased closer. Xena draped an arm over her shoulders and pulled her over, leaning subtly against her as they walked along. Pleased she’d guessed right, Gabrielle carefully supported her around her waist, blissfully grateful for the warmth as the evening wind blew against them.  Seeing the glances of the guards, and the nobles trailing after them she knew what their thoughts were.

For some reason, it didn’t bother her now. Gabrielle wondered if she didn’t even want what they were thinking to be true.  

“Mistress, a moment with you.” Alaran appeared from nowhere.

“What?” Xena’s short temper was very evident in her voice. Even Gabrielle, who’d only known the woman a short time, heard it clearly.

The security chief entered the ring of guards and took up a position on Xena’s other side. “I have just come from the healer’s.”  He kept his voice very low. “Mistress, it’s Bregos.”

Xena looked at him. “Dead?”

“No.”

“Bummer.” The queen sighed.

“Mistress, he’s gone.” Alaran told her softly. “He has been taken from the infirmary. No one…” He paused, looking significantly at her. “Saw him taken out.”  His dark face was grim. “And his men are keeping to their barracks.”

Xena considered the news thoughtfully.  “Can we get someone in there?”

“It would be difficult.” Alaran admitted. “Most of my men are known to them.” He pinched his lower lip. “But perhaps. I can try.”  He looked at her. “His men feel he was tricked into challenging you.”

“He was.” The queen said in a mild tone. “It’s not my fault he was stupid enough to fall for it.”

“Mistress, I want to put guards in the tower.” Alaran said. “I don’t trust any of this. My nape hairs are up.” His voice was very serious. “No one questions your abilities. I never have, and after today, none should. But it does not pay to take such chances.”

Xena was quiet for a few steps. “Okay.” She answered. “It’s not a bad idea. Just make sure it’s men you trust, Alaran.” A pause. “Or those you really don’t like, and don’t mind seeing dead if they twitch the wrong way around me.”

The security chief grunted, and the faintest of smiles appeared on his face. “Mistress, your humor is, as ever, appreciated.”

“My humor, as ever, is twisted like a grapevine.” Xena replied. “Keep an eye on the frillies as well, Alaran. I let it be known I wasn’t pleased with the betting this morning.”  She told him. “I figured you were bored.”

Alaran sighed. “Yes, Mistress.”  He glanced at her, then his eyes met Gabrielle’s. “Little one, I will make sure the guards know to give you every courtesy.”

“Thanks.” Gabrielle murmured.

“Or I’ll cut their tongues out.” Xena added helpfully.  “Put a few extra people on the banquet tonight. I want to hear what’s being thrown around.”

Curiously, Alaran seemed to cheer up at her words. “Excellent, Mistress. I will take care of it.” He bowed gracefully at her, and ducked his head in Gabrielle’s direction, then he slipped out between two of the guards and moved off on an opposite track.

Xena was quiet for the rest of the walk up the long ramp to the stronghold. She seemed deep in thought, and Gabrielle figured it was wiser not to disturb her. She simply walked alongside the queen, giving her what support she could. Her height really worked out for that, as it turned out. Her shoulders were just at the right level for Xena to lean on, and she was glad of the excuse to be close to her.

She wished the walk would last a lot longer. But it ended at the tower, and she reluctantly released her hold around the queen as the guards swept the door open for them. Xena strode inside the inner chamber, pausing halfway through the door and stopping.

She turned, and regarded Gabrielle seriously. Then she pointed at one of the guards. “Take everything in there.” She indicated Gabrielle’s little cubby. “And bring it inside here.” She jerked her chin towards the inside of the hall.

The guard and Gabrielle exchanged looks, as the queen then disappeared into her inner chambers.

**

Xena walked across public chamber and went to the window. She rested a hand on either side of it and looked out, taking a deep breath against the turmoil going on inside her.  After a moment she sat down on the sill and carefully leaned against the wall with the uninjured part of her back.

Her head came to rest against the stone with a soft thump. She lifted one hand and rubbed the side of her face as she removed the flower from her belt and stared at it.

It was just a flower. Her fingers twirled it. She could throw it away, and yet she held it – its slight, spicy fragrance and rich color capturing her attention. 

She found herself asking why.  Why had Gabrielle given it to her? Xena’s brow furrowed as she watched the sky darken. It wasn’t as though she’d never gotten gifts. Subjects gave them to her any excuse they got, to buy favor from her or to attract her eye to them.

But Gabrielle already had her attention, and the girl was smart enough to know that. So why a flower?  The queen pondered the possibility that it was just in the slave’s nature, since she seemed to have an open, generous way about her.

Maybe.

You know, Xena, you could just ask her if you weren’t so afraid of the answer. She mocked herself. What is it that you want the damn thing to mean?  She looked down at the flower, remembering the look in Gabrielle’s eyes when she’d offered it to her.

A gift from an honest heart. When was the last time she’d been offered that?

A knowledge settled over her, close and inescapable. When was the last time you wanted to give something back in return?

Xena closed her eyes, a wry smile finding its way onto her face. Nice. The entire kingdom wanted you to marry Bregos, so to piss them off you make him a eunuch and fall in love with your chambermaid.  Gotta hand it to you, Xena. You’re an original.

Ah well. The queen watched the first twinkling stars appear. Had to happen sometime, didn’t it?  But what was she going to do now?  Good sense told her she needed to put a stop to it. Her own sense of honor, such as it was, frowned on the fact that the kid had no choice, had no option but to do what Xena commanded.

She looked down at the flower. But Gabrielle hadn’t had to do that, had she? Nothing forced her to choose the bloom, nothing commanded her to give it.

Nothing was forcing the emotion packed look in her eyes when she’d offered it up.

Or was it just a good act?  Xena exhaled, turning her head and pausing as she unexpectedly found Gabrielle in the doorway to the inner chambers, just quietly watching her.  When their eyes met, the queen could feel the undeniable pull between them and she knew, she just knew that whatever the reasons around it…

This, at least, was real.

There was a truth between them that transcended the roles they played.

So. “All set?”  Xena asked. “With all the skulking going on, I’m not having you hang out in the corridor waiting for a half wit with no sense and less brains to have a go at you.”

Gabrielle smiled and nodded. She walked over and stood by the window, leaning a shoulder against the stone. “Want me to put that in water?” She asked, glancing at the flower. “It’ll last longer.”

Xena’s eyes twinkled. Life did, she’d learned, what it did, and if you were smart you took what it gave you.

She was smart.  With a snap of her teeth, she bit off the bloom and chewed it, the petals tasting sweet and a little tangy in her mouth. “Nah.” She swallowed it, and watched Gabrielle’s eyes blink in startled surprise. “I’m an instant gratification kinda gal. We can get more of them at dinner.”

She got up and put an arm around Gabrielle’s shoulders for no reason at all, leading her back into the bedroom.

**

“I think it looks better.” Gabrielle examined Xena’s bare back. “It’s not so red anymore, and it’s not swollen up.”

“Uh huh.” Xena murmured, her eyes closed. “After what you did to me before, I sure as Hades hope not.”

Gabrielle cleaned carefully around the stitches, watching the gentle rise and fall of Xena’s breathing. “I know that hurt a lot, but at least it helped.”  She said, her fingertips lightly touching the dark bruise from Brego’s hit that now crossed the queen’s shoulderblade.

Even with the damage, Gabrielle could see the beauty underneath. Xena’s skin was smooth and soft, and it was neatly fit over the bones and significant amount of muscle underneath it.  Her spine curved under Gabrielle’s hand, nestled between two thick lines of sinew on either side of it.

Xena had her gown draped loosely over her body from the hips down, and an arm curled around her pillow as she waited for Gabrielle to finish.

The rest of her was bare, and Gabrielle was finding it harder and harder to concentrate on her task as she became more and more aware of the body lying before her.  Aware of it’s symmetry, and the gorgeous sculpture of it’s proportions.

“I think you’ve just got talented hands.”

Gabrielle looked up, the hands in question going still. “Really?”

“Yes.” Xena kept her eyes closed, but a half smile appeared. “You’ve got a light touch. Most don’t.”

“Well, I’m trying not to hurt you.” Gabrielle said. “I know how sore you must be.”  She worked a few moments more. “Do you…have you gotten hurt like this before?”  It felt a little strange to be asking, but she wasn’t really sure what other kind of small talk she could manage with the queen.

“Hmm.” Xena mulled the question over. “A few times, sure.” She answered. “There’s a scar, lower down on my back, across my spine. See it?”

“No.. oh, yes.” Gabrielle had to move the robe a little. “Wow.”

“I was riding with my men, on a raid through a city out west of here.” Xena said. “We ran into a band of Spartans.”

“Oo.”

“Tough fight.” Xena admitted. “Damn, they were good. They got one of my captains and cut him in half, and came after me. I got the bastards who got my man, but two of them got behind me and tried to cut me out of my saddle.”

“That’s… from a sword?” Without thinking, Gabrielle reached down and ran a finger across the scar.

Xena’s eyes popped wide open. She turned her head slightly, the muscles along her side and belly contracting at the unexpected touch. “Ah.. yeah.” She cleared her throat. “Broadsword. I dripped blood for ten miles back to our camp. Lucky I didn’t bring wolves down on us.”

“That sounds horrible.” Gabrielle frowned.

“Made for a great campfire story.” Xena disagreed. “Took forever to heal, though. I..” The queen exhaled wryly. “We had an old man, a healer we’d picked up somewhere. He told me to stay off my horse and damned if I listened to him.”

Gabrielle took her time at cleaning, not really wanting the moment to end too soon. “I think the most significant injury I ever had was when our pig bit me.” She told Xena. “In the knee.”

Xena chuckled.

“That bled a lot too, but it doesn’t make nearly as interesting a story.” The slave said. “I picked up one of her piglets, to play with it and she wasn’t very happy.”

“I bet she wasn’t.” The queen said. “I hate pigs. I was gored by a boar outside Thrace one year. Damn thing put a tusk right here.” Xena touched her leg, drawing the covering back to expose a knotted scar.

“Ow.”

“Yeah.” Xena studied the old wound. “Pissed me off. I dropped my weapons and grabbed it and we wrestled in the mud until I broke it’s stinking neck.”  She recalled. “We roasted it for dinner. Best meal we’d had in half a moon.”

“Did you spend a long time out with your army?” Gabrielle asked curiously. “It sounds like you had a lot of adventures.”

Xena glanced back at her. “Long enough to conquer from the northern mountains here to the sea.” Her eyes took on a hint of a sparkle. “Took a long road to get to this pile of hedonistic pillows from where I came from.”

Gabrielle finished up, studying her handiwork with a sense of satisfaction. “Okay.” She said. “I think that’s about as good as I can do.”

“You sure?” The queen queried.

The blond slave nodded.

“C’mon over here and sit down, then.” Xena patted the bed’s surface. 

Gabrielle got up and put her basin in the bathing room. Then she returned and circled the bed, settling gingerly on it’s surface facing Xena. She was barefoot, and in one of her work tunics, and she decided to sit cross legged.  

“Dinner’ll be long, boring, and possibly dangerous.” The queen said. “What I want you to do is just sit and watch everyone. Listen to what people say.”

“All right.” Gabrielle rested her elbows on her knees. “I though the trouble was over, though.”

Xena snorted. “Ah, my adorable little friend.. trouble is never over as long as I’m around. Don’t forget that.”

Adorable? Gabrielle’s ears perked up. “I’ll try to remember.”

The queen grunted, and half closed her eyes. Long, dark lashes fluttered, then she slowly reached out and touched Gabrielle’s leg. “Where’s that one from?”

Huh? After a moment’s dumb staring, the slave looked down at her own leg as electric tingles surrounded the spot Xena’s hand was resting on. “Oh.”  Memories flooded back, injecting bleakness into her mood. “Nothing interesting.”

Xena studied the jagged white line, on the inside of her slave’s thigh. She looked up to see the echo of an old grief on Gabrielle’s face, a quiet emptiness in her eyes that frankly surprised her.

Gabrielle pushed the thoughts aside, rooting around for something to distract the curiosity she could see in those pale blue eyes. “You know, your story about the Spartans reminded me of something I heard back home at the inn, once.”

She has a secret. Xena watched the emotions flicker on and off Gabrielle’s very expressive face. Should I let her keep it?  It wasn’t anything that involved her, Xena felt. Something in the girl’s past, though. And given how young she was, how much of a past could she have to hide secrets in?  “Yeah? What’s that?” She decided to wait, and see if Gabrielle revealed herself.

“It was about a warrior, a Spartan who had gotten separated from his army and ended up wandering across the land searching for a way home…”

As Xena listened, she saw Gabrielle’s face shift subtly, and her voice, always soft and somewhat melodic deepened in tone as she spoke.

“One day he was captured by a tribe of fierce warriors and…”

Xena forgot about the secret, and let the story roll over her.

“But he was so brave, no matter what they did to him, that he earned the respect of the warriors. He earned their respect, but he also caught the imagination of the daughter of the tribe’s leader…”

The pain in her back faded out, and she simply concentrated on enjoying the tale, watching as Gabrielle straightened up and used her hands to shape a figure in mid air, describing a shield. She could hear the admiration in Gabrielle’s tone as she talked about the warrior, telling of his courage and the honor that won him the girl’s regard yet sentenced him to the tribe’s enmity.

She wondered if the warrior in the story knew how lucky he was, to have his memory remembered and told by countless youngsters, impressed by the romance of the tale.

What stories would they tell of you, Xena? She mocked herself silently. How many men you butchered?

“And the soldier decided to accept the challenge, but he said if he did win, the tribe would have to let him go. They agreed, knowing they would defeat him, and then the battle started….”

Xena sighed inwardly.

“It lasted all day, because the soldier was a Spartan, and of all the peoples of the land, the Spartans know war better than any.”

“Mm.”

“And he lost.” Gabrielle said. “Because in the end, he was only one, and the tribe was many, and what he learned was without friends, even the greatest warrior can be beaten.”  She touched her fingers together and gazed at them. “But even in defeat, his courage so impressed the tribe that they undertook a great journey of their own, to bring his body back to Sparta.”

Xena felt a sudden constriction in her throat.

“They brought him home.”  Gabrielle finished, in a quiet tone.

They were both silent for a bit. Finally Xena shifted and exhaled. “Nice job, storyteller.”

Gabrielle had been looking down at her folded hands, seemingly deep in thought. Now her head came up and she looked at Xena, an expression of surprise on her face. She took a breath to answer, then just let it out, her teeth clicking shut at the end of it.

Xena patted the slave’s leg.

“You know I…” Gabrielle paused. “I didn’t think I had that in me anymore.”  Her brow puckered.  “I remember the last time I…” She stopped. “Well, anyway, I’m glad you liked it.”

“I knew if I waited long enough you’d tell me a story worth listening to.” The queen told her, with a faint quirk of her lips. “We’ll have to find you some more to tell.”

A pleased smile appeared on Gabrielle’s face. “Well, I’m sure if I stay here, I’ll find lots of them.” She told the queen. “A lot more interesting than angry pigs, that’s for sure.”

Xena lifted an eyebrow. “Oh, those’ll be stories to scare the kids with.” She snorted again. “Gabrielle’s Horror Tales, get em while they’re hot, two dinars a piece!”

The young slave laughed. “They won’t be horror tales.” She protested, her hand dropping casually to clasp Xena’s. “They’ll be about you.”

It caught them both by surprise, and for a long string of heartbeats, they just sat there in silence.

Broken by the queen’s low grunt. “Gabrielle.” Xena gave her a wry look, but didn’t remove her hand. “I am not story material.” She said. “At least, I’m not story material unless you’re making tales to scare little kids into behaving.”

Gabrielle tilted her head to one side, her mist green eyes picking up the flickering candlelight as she examined Xena’s face. “Well.” She finally said, in a soft voice. “I guess I’ll just have to take what comes, then.”

Interesting choice of terms.  Xena reflected again on how nice it was to have someone to just sit and talk to. Even if they really didn’t have a choice in the matter.

Almost as nice as having someone sit and hold your hand.

**

“I’ll take that.” Gabrielle smiled, and removed the flagon of white wine from the startled server’s hands.  Dressed again in her nifty black livery, she had spent her time so far attentively at Xena’s side, or roaming through the hall with her ears wide open.

Xena had wanted to dress her up and just sit her down next to her at the table, but Gabrielle had pointed out if it was information she was after, it’d be hard to get it that way.

Xena had frowned. Gabrielle had gotten the feeling that the queen was really struggling between what she wanted to do, and what she knew was the right thing to do and it had taken her longer than she’d expected for Xena to decide to accept her suggestion.

The hawk’s livery was comfortable, and she liked wearing it. She’d taken a sneak peek at herself in the mirror, and decided the outfit flattered her coloring and the belted tunic looked good on her.  It made her feel like she was part of something, and every time she passed one of Xena’s men standing guard there was a sense of kindred spiritry going that tickled her no end.

She carried the wine flagon, selected at random from the servers circulating the hall, back to Xena’s high table, a long walk across the huge banqueting hall.

This was the first time she’d seen this room, which Xena had described to her as the ‘biggest whore cavern on earth.’  Xena had, she’d realized, a very peculiar sense of humor, but watching the scores and scores of nobles coming up to bow before Xena’s feet, giving her little presents and courtseys Gabrielle got an inkling of what it was the queen was talking about.

The chamber was roughly three times the size of the usual banquet hall she’d already seen, and it’s ceiling was so high, she couldn’t see the carved decorations clearly that circled it. Hanging oil lamps lit the inside with warm, golden light, and the stone floor was covered with thick, woven rugs that dampened what surely would have been a horrible echoing without them.

The walls were draped with colorful tapestries, and the tables were set up in a huge semi circle, leaving a wide open space in front of Xena’s high seat, the marble steps leading down to it also draped in rugs scattered with flower petals.

It was loud, and the scents from the various dinner courses floated in the air. To one side, a group of court musicians were playing, much to Gabrielle’s delight. She loved music, and since she was completely unable to produce any herself,  it had been rare that she’d gotten to hear it.

The two guards at the rear of the room, who blocked access to the steps in the rear leading up to Xena’s table eased aside at her approach and let her past. One was the older man, Brendan who also winked at her. Gabrielle smiled back at him, and trotted up the steps.

Xena’s ornate throne had it’s back to her, but she could see the curve of the queens’ shoulder and her arm as she rested it on the chair’s. The shoulder shifted and Xena’s profile appeared as she came close, her approach being apparently heard.

“Ah. Gabrielle.” Xena remarked. “What treat are you bringing me now?” She half turned, diverting her attention from the cluster of richly dressed men gathered in front of her. “Is that wine?”

“Yes.” Gabrielle knelt at her side and showed her the flagon. “It’s the white, sweet one.”

“Oo.. you learn fast.” Xena complimented her. “Gimme.” She held out her silver and crystal goblet, recently emptied, and watched as Gabrielle neatly filled it. Then she settled back and studied the nobles, friends of Lastay’s who had just returned from a journey to the south. “Tell me of the province, gentlemen.”  She let her free hand rest lightly on the still kneeling Gabrielle’s back, her fingers moving in a light pattern.

Gabrielle kept both hands on the flagon, relishing the touch on her back as she listened to the nearest man, a tall, silver haired duke dressed in natty maroon and gray speak. He related a story of meeting some travelers from the far east, who were interested in beginning trade with them.

“How far east?” Xena asked quietly. “I have heard much of the mysteries from those parts.”

“They were very different, Majesty.” The duke agreed. “They spoke with a music, and their eyes were lidless and dark.” He walked carefully up the steps and knelt before her, holding out a small box. “They had things of great beauty to trade.”

Xena set her cup down on the table at her side. She took the box and examined it. It was a surprisingly heavy, creamy white substance with incredibly intricate carving on it. “Interesting.”  She eased the top open with her thumb, her eyebrows rising when she found it full of many colored pearls.

“A gift for you, my liege.” The duke murmured. “The travelers told us they had heard of our realm, and that they too were from a place of mighty queens, that maybe we could find other likenesses and trade with each other.”

“Hm.” Xena was actually sort of impressed by the gift. It wasn’t ostentatious, but it gave a hint of what resources lay behind it. “What are they looking to trade for? If they have these kids of riches?” She asked, giving the duke an appraising look.

“Majesty, they did not say.” The duke seemed chagrined. “Though we did try to question them, albeit gently.”

“Well well.” Xena leaned on her chair arm and showed the box to Gabrielle. “What do you think?”

Gabrielle studied the box, wiping the condensation from the flagon off her hand before she touched the carving with a wondering finger. “It’s beautiful.”  She murmured. “Are those animals on it? I’ve never seen anything like them.”

“Me either.” Xena murmured back. “Jelas, you’ve done very well. Thanks.” She addressed the duke, who produced a satisfied smile under his trimmed gray moustache. “We’ll have to investigate this trading opportunity further. I will send a delegation out to find more of these travelers, and see where they lead us.”  She gave Jelas an approving look. “Let me know if you know anyone interested in leading such a delegation, all right?”

Jelas positively beamed. “Majesty, that I surely will, as you know that I claim the heart of an adventurer, and would love to represent your interests in such a way.”

Good boy. Xena graciously nodded at him. “I was hoping you’d say that. See me at day court tomorrow, and let’s talk.”

“Majesty.” Jelas did more than bow. He gracefully prostrated himself at her feet, touching his forehead to her shoe before rising to join the small party kneeling behind him. He paused a moment, then met her eyes. “I deeply regret not arriving through the city gates until just prior to now, my liege. I ache to have missed the morning here.”

“I bet.” Xena remarked drolly, watching him turn and make his way back to his retainers, who rose and gathered excitedly around him.  She shook her head slightly and looked down at the box again, opening it’s lid and pushing a curious finger into the pile of pearls. She selected one, a pretty silver gray in color and removed it. “Mm.”

Gabrielle exhaled. She’d never seen anything so pretty, the oil light seeming to collect inside the pearl’s luster and make it reflect in it’s depths. “Wow.”

“Mm.” Xena murmured again. “I’ve always liked pearls.” She said. “Take an ugly thing like an oyster, stick a bit of irritating sand inside it, and what do you get?” Her fingers gently turned the pearl. “One of life’s more interesting paradoxes.” Her eyes flicked sideways, to take in Gabrielle’s face. “Kind of like you. Here.” She handed her the pearl.

Hesitantly, Gabrielle took it. The pearl sat there nestling in her palm for a moment before she looked up at Xena in question.

“Don’t swallow it.” The queen advised, in a mild tone. “Or your tongue either.”

Gabrielle closed her hand over the pearl and produced an incredulous smile. “Thank you.”  She whispered, peripherally aware of the curious eyes watching them. The sounds of the room faded out, though, when their eyes met and her heart started to pound seeing the unexpected gentleness in Xena’s gaze.

And then the queen blinked, and it was gone, and the chaos faded back in. “That’s for finding a good jug of wine in this place.” Xena said casually, leaning back in her throne.  She picked up a duck’s wing off her plate and took a bite of it.

A smile appeared as she chewed. The queen then reached over and offered Gabrielle the wing, a touch of mischief in her eyes as she waited to see what her slave was going to do.

Caught in the act of tucking the pearl away for safe keeping, Gabrielle just stared at the item in startlement for a few heartbeats.  “Oh… ah…”

“Don’t like duck?” Xena inquired innocently.

“I’ve never tried it.” Gabrielle confessed.

“Always a first time.” More mischief emerged. “Can’t have you be a duck virgin… too.”

Gabrielle colored visibly, but she took a breath and leaned forward, taking a cautious nibble from the wing. The taste was far different than she’d expected, and she licked her lips. “Mm.” She watched Xena’s face, seeing only amused indulgence, and went back for another bite this time coming daringly close to the queen’s fingers.

“Now, that’s promising.” Xena said, reclaiming her wing and sinking her teeth into it.

Promising? Gabrielle chewed her mouthful of very tasty duck and swallowed it. Promising for what? She set her wine flagon down and eased down into a semi seated position. She tried to concentrate on the voices around her, but somehow her ears seemed to be tuned into the tall, seated figure to her left. Every rustle of Xena’s gown seemed unnaturally loud to her.

Every shift of the queen’s gown made her breathing shorten.

Xena’s voice was what she craved hearing, not the inane babbling of the courtiers.

Gabrielle gazed across the room, trying to work through the passion she could feel building inside her. It felt wild and out of control and all she could do was sit on her haunches and listen to the harpist drop tinkling notes over the buzz of the hall.

Now come on, Gabrielle. You’re supposed to be doing something important. There could be people out there planning all sorts of bad things.

The scent of spiced beef suddenly made her blink, and she focused on a bit of it just before her nose. She heard Xena’s soft chuckle as she leaned forward and took it, and before she herself really knew what she was doing, shifted it to the back of her teeth and licked the bit of juice it had left behind off Xena’s fingers.

Xena’s chuckle abruptly faded and it was a moment before Gabrielle got up the courage to look over at her only to find a look of intrigued interest on her face. In that charged silence, she swallowed and licked her lips, feeling very short of breath. “Um… “ She found herself unable to tear her eyes from Xena’s. “Interesting spices.”

For the very first time, the smile Xena returned to her held nothing of restraint in it. It was a bold grin that lit up her eyes and made her seem years younger.  Gabrielle felt herself captured by it and just about swallowed whole.

It was far more intoxicating even than the wine in the jug between her knees.

“Very interesting.” Xena abruptly broke the moment. “I have to find out what cook put on that, as a matter of fact.”  With a lingering look at Gabrielle, she turned and rested her chin on her fist, facing yet another small party of nobles.

Gabrielle folded her hands in her lap, feeling very much on emotional overload. She forced her attention to the nearby tables, seeing expressions that ranged from affronted to angry to indulgent there. One man pointed towards her, and shook his head.

Gabrielle just barely kept herself from giving in to the urge to stick her tongue out at him. She let her heartrate settle down, then she concentrated on listening to the snatches of talk she could hear bouncing off the walls that the speakers never intended for her to listen to.

There was a lot of anger out there. Gabrielle had understood that when she’d walked through the crowd. Many of the nobles had backed Bregos, and a number of them had lost money to the nobles who had stayed loyal to Xena on top of it.

There was also fear. Fear that Xena knew who had defected, and fear of what the queen would do about it.

Gabrielle had heard a story, while she’d waited with the rest of the servants for warm towels for their masters and mistresses to wipe themselves for dinner with.  One of the older men had been telling everyone about a time when a duke had decided to make a run for the throne, and had tried to assassinate Xena during a festive ball right here in the stronghold. Xena had, he told them, found out about it and when everyone had come in for the ball, the traitor had been one of the decorations, portions of his body hung up to spin like paper lanterns over their heads.

Gabrielle believed the story.  

The harpist was coming closer,  his voice now lifting in a jaunty tune that matched the fingers skipping over his harp strings.  His eyes met hers briefly, and he smiled. She smiled back at him, enjoying his talent.

“Jellaus.” Xena called out, motioning the musician over. “C’mere.”

The man finished his song and bowed to the applause, and then came quickly to Xena’s throne. He knelt before her clasping the harp to his chest, and bowed his head. “My liege, how may I serve you?” He asked, looking up at her.

Xena glanced at Gabrielle. “You like music?”

“Very much.” Gabrielle answered instantly. “Every year we used to travel to the big market festival and the best part about it was hearing the songs and watching the dancing. I love it.”

Jellaus beamed at her. “A young lady of very discriminating tastes!” He laughed. “I see her majesty has as always picked well for her service.”  He plucked a chord on his harp, it’s perfect pitch ringing true. “Such a music lover.. have you asked her majesty yet to demonstrate one of the finest voices in the land to you, Gabrielle?”

Gabrielle cocked her head, then turned and looked at the queen, who had a wry, almost dangerous expression on her face.

“Jellaus.” Xena rumbled softly.

“I speak only the truth, my liege.” Jellaus bowed, placing a hand over his heart.

“How about you play something to drown out all the horse crap, then.” Xena told him. “Before we get buried in it.”

The musician acknowledged the rebuke with a smile, then paused for a moment before he started playing his harp. The new melody he picked out was slower and had a gentle lilt to it. “Very well, Mistress.” He said. “As it happens, I have just finished a new song, and it would be my greatest honor to have you be the first to hear it.”

“Does it have at least one beheading?” The queen queried. “Or an army surrendering en mass?”

“Ah…” Jellaus modulated his plucking. “My liege, in this song, perhaps heads might be lost, and hearts certainly are, in a surrender of a different stripe.”  And with that, he launched into the tune, easing one leg out for balance as he rested on right knee.

Gabrielle listened, entranced. The song was about a lonely hawk, who spent it’s days guarding a rocky crag it called home. The hawk went hunting one day and found a mouse, and stooped on it, but instead of killing and eating it, took it back to its nest, and courted it.

It seemed like a strange thing for a hawk to do, Gabrielle mused, but the song was very pretty.

A moment later, she looked down at her chest, and felt like an idiot as she listened to the words and realized what the song was really about. 

She didn’t dare look at Xena. Then she heard the queen sigh, and she had to look at her, sneaking a peek from the corner or her eye. Xena had her chin propped up on her fist, and a pensive, distant look on her face.  After a moment, though, the queen felt her gaze and looked over.

“If you start squeaking, I’ll put you over my knee and spank you right here in the ballroom.” She warned Gabrielle, uttering the words almost subvocally.

“I’d never do that.” Gabrielle whispered back.

“Good.” Xena smiled.

“I can wiggle my nose, though.” The blond girl demonstrated, adding a soft chitter to go along with it.

The queen covered her face with one hand and stifled a laugh.  She looked up as Jellaus finished with a melodic flourish of his fingers. “Jellaus, that was the stupidest song I’ve ever heard you do.” She accused.

“Thank you, my liege.” The musician swept a low bow. “May I do another?”

Xena glanced at the crowd, judging the atmosphere. “Sure.” She said. “Make it less stupid this time.”

“Aye, my liege, I will do that.” Jellaus grinned. He retuned his harp and started playing again, this time a well known ballad.  Xena resumed her listening pose, after she lifted a hand and made a brief signal. In the back of the room, Alaran nodded and ducked out the door.

Gabrielle found herself absorbed by the music, glad the day was over, and full of a wondering, buzzing excitement about what was yet to come.

It looked like the day had turned out all right after all.

**

Xena swirled the rich mead in her cup. In front of her were lines of soldiers, some bearing bandaged wounds, and the other winners of the festival.  Awarding favors was one of her favorite things to do, and she found herself looking forward to the task almost as much as the one after it, when she’d mete out punishment for those she had found wanting.

Her back was even giving her a break. Or maybe the four cups of mead had just convinced her that her back was giving her a break. Either way, she wasn’t going to argue with the lessening of the pain that had plagued her for days.

Her ears detected an approach behind her, and she felt her face crease into a grin quite unexpectedly. What would her clever little Gabrielle be bringing her now?  More snippets of gossip? More mead? Just her presence, which Xena was beginning to find more than appealing?

She turned to her right as her slave appeared, taking a seat on the small padded stool Xena had ordered for her. Her blond hair was slightly mussed, a bit of it straying into her eyes and she tossed her head to move it as she offered Xena the tray she was carrying.  “I found these. I thought you might like them.”

Xena examined the dainty pastries. “Uh huh.” She rested her jaw on her hand. “What made you think that, my little brainy friend?”

“Well.” Gabrielle “Mostly because I know you really like sweet fruits, so…”  She glanced at the tray. “I took a chance.”

“Oo.. getting brave, aren’t you?” Xena selected a pastry and popped it into her mouth, savoring it’s taste. “Your chance paid off. I love em.” She indicated the tray. “Try it.”

Gabrielle took the smallest of the pastries and nibbled at it. “Oh.” She blinked, surprised. “Wow, that’s good.”

“Uh huh.” Xena reached lazily over and combed her fingers through Gabrielle’s soft hair. “Listen.” She said. “Now comes the fun part. You can watch me give out the goodies, but I want you to go up to the tower after that.”

Gabrielle savored the touch, but not the words. “Why?”

“Because I said so, and I’m the queen.” Xena told her. “Because I’m going to do some very ugly things that I don’t want you to watch.”  She said. “Let’s try to keep my being in charge in mind, okay?”

The girl blinked. “Okay.” Gabrielle answered softly.

“Good.” Xena took another pastry and consumed it.

“But I really would like to stay.”

The queen paused in mid chew, and looked at her. The misty green eyes peered back, gentle and innocent. “Do you really think I care what slaves want, Gabrielle?” She asked with a harsh note of almost anger in her voice.

“No.” Gabrielle answered honestly. “But I’m not a child, and I want to stay anyway.”

Xena looked around her. The nearest clump of nobles were standing a small distance away, and no one was close enough to have overheard them.  Her instincts told her she was in danger. Her reaction to being challenged was ingrained in her as solid as the stone floor her chair was resting on.

Gabrielle should be punished. There was no question about that at all in her mind.

Was there? Xena felt an odd sense of confusion as she tried to formulate a rebuke. Maybe it was the mead, she reasoned. She’d had a cup or two more to drink than was her usual portion and it had been a long day after all, so…

Xena.  Her conscience tapped her on the top of her head. Cut the horse manure. If you let this pass, you’re opening up a trap door you’re going to end up falling right through.  She leaned a little closer and stared right into Gabrielle’s eyes, preparing herself to attack.

The slave merely sat there waiting, watching her with trusting eyes, her hand resting on the arm of the throne.

Well, why not let her stay?  Xena struggled internally. Do you care, if she sees you gut someone, Xena?   She found the truth reflected back to her in Gabrielle’s steady gaze, and it shocked her.  Yes, I do care.

I do care.

Xena lowered her eyelids and took a moment to compose herself. Then she straightened and regarded her slave again. “Why?”

Gabrielle’s head cocked to one side in question.

“Why do you want to stay and watch?” Xena asked. “You getting a taste for blood?”

“N..no.” The girl shook her head. “I just… I don’t want you to think I’m afraid of seeing things. I’m not a kid.”  Her jaw firmed up. “Besides, it’s sort of a part of life here, isn’t it?”

Is it?  Xena felt tired all of a sudden. She leaned back in her chair and let her eyes roam over the room. “Yeah, I guess it is.” She murmured. “All right. Stay if you want.”

Gabrielle shifted, lifting her hand and putting it on Xena’s arm, her fingers warm and comforting. “Thank you.”  She whispered. “I think I’ll probably regret it, but thank you anyway.”

Xena felt things slipping out of her grasp. “I think I’ll regret it too, but you’re welcome.” She sighed. “Hand that tray over here. As long as I’m on a wagon ride to Hades, I might as well enjoy it.”

Puzzled but willing, Gabrielle complied.

**

Xena stood before her throne. Alaran approached, and knelt, her sword in it’s sheath in his hands. Respectfully, he offered it to her hilt first. She closed her hand around it and drew it, the metal whispering out of the leather.

The oil lanterns had been supplemented by wall torches, and the inside of the chamber was now covered in flickering shadows. The crowd had settled, mead and wine had been liberally consumed, and now an atmosphere of restless edginess had taken over.

“All right. Everyone who got a ribbon, front and center.” Xena ordered.

With some excitement, the racers and bowmen edged forward.  Xena walked over to a small table set near the edge of her dias and surveyed the items on it. She neatly slipped her sword blade through the line of ribbons and lifted them up, colorful bits of fabric ending in dangling metal medallions.

The medallions had her face on them. Xena regarded the things as they hung there. She hated them. Whoever had casted the damn things had made her out to look like a gorgon, and Xena was more than vain enough to resent it.

She’d gone after the sculptor, but the bastard had fled the city before she could catch him.

Xena made a mental note to have the medals recast, then she walked over to the line of young men and women and held the sword out straight, daring them to take a medal off the blade.

The same blade that had taken Bregos down. The same blade she’d carried since she first took command of an army, and could afford to have the weapon hand cast for her. The sword had the stain of at least a thousand opponents on it, and though she knew the blade was a dully gleaming silver she often saw a red cast in it when she looked at it.  “C’mon… either get moving, or I’ll start putting them on you with this thing.”

A young woman, one of the horse riders was the first to step forward. She walked up to Xena and knelt, then carefully took the first medal off the blade. “My liege.”

Xena reached over and ruffled her hair. “Good job. Leave it to a girl to be the only one with guts.”

Startled, the woman blushed and almost stumbled backwards, narrowly avoiding bumping the next winner who was creeping forward.  

They were all scared, but they were also excited, and Xena used the moment to give each of them an eye to eye look. 

Some of them refused to look at her. She marked them.

Others dared to meet her gaze, but were suspicious and wary. She marked those, too.

Then there were the few that took their ribbon with a mixture of awe and pleasure, whose faces etched shy smiles as she looked at them.

Those few got a wink and a smile back from their charismatic queen, and unwittingly bound themselves to her in the blink of an eye.  Damned few, Xena sighed. Gotta start getting to them earlier. I’ve been slacking off lately, and that’s what I get for it.

After all the medals were given, Xena let her sword rest on her shoulder as she regarded the room. “The winners of the melee, get out here.”

From the corners of the room her men stepped out, walking confidently across the room to gather before her. Not all of them, of course, but the officers who would take the kudos back to the barracks with them. Xena waited for them to line up, then she motioned Stanislaus forward.

The castle seneschal had his arms wrapped around an ornate wooden chest, and he carried it to her, it’s weight evident in his labored steps.

“Brendan.” Xena called out.

The grizzled captain walked over from his guard post, and circled the throne dais to arrive in front of Xena. He dropped to his knees without hesitation, and put his fist up over his heart. “Majesty.”

“Brendan, I promised a special favor if your troops won the day.”

“Aye, majesty… but the favor of carrying your banner to victory was the reward we looked for.” Brendan said. “We want no other.”

“Charming, but altruism was never one of my faults, and I didn’t train you that way either.” Xena remarked dryly.  “As it happens, I was able to put a few bets on the contest through the kind offices of a few of our guests.”  The queen pointed her sword at the chest, then indicated Brendan. “Give it to him. Share it with the men, Brendan. They earned it.”

Brendan’s face went slack with shock as he got hastily to his feet to claim the chest. “Mistress.” He clasped the wooden bin to him. “Your generosity knows no bounds.”

Xena reached out and tapped him on the head with her sword blade. “My generosity is sporadic and eclectic at best and everybody knows it. G’wan and get that out of here before you fall with it and spill coin from here to the outer gates.”  She turned and regarded the room. “I’m sure everyone’ll agree their dinars went to good home, hm?”

Sour faces looked back at her from a good portion of the room.  She felt a cold humor settle on her.

Xena grinned. “It’s a shame our general can’t be here to join us, that what you’re thinking?”  She asked mockingly. “Those of you who were pushing him into trying to knock me off the big red chair back there?”

A low murmur went up. “Like you, Duke Edagar?”  Xena pointed her sword at him. Edagar was a burly, bearded man whom she liked to call Brego’s bearded buttlicker.

Indignantly, Edagar stood up. “Majesty, I protest! I am a most loyal subject!”

Xena walked towards him, daring him to hold his ground. Out of the corner of her eye she caught sight of Gabrielle perched behind her throne, watching her.  “Loyal? I don’t think you can even spell loyal, Edagar.”  She drawled.

“Majesty.”

Xena could feel the fear in the room rising.  The sword on her shoulder was a potent threat, and they all knew it.  “You think I don’t know about your little plan?” She moved closer. “Think I didn’t know about the lies you spread, the tales you told?”

Edagar’s knees were shaking. Xena could see them. Her eyes drilled into his. She would make him an example, and with any luck, only one set of body parts would have to be tossed in front of the gates.  The dark fire rose inside her and the urge to kill, held at bay the day long, surfaced.

Edagar saw it in her eyes. He dropped to his knees and then flat on his face, covering his head with his hands.

Xena stood over him. “Not only are you a traitor, you’re a coward.”  She turned her head towards Alaran, who was standing alertly at her shoulder. “Pick him up.”

Alaran and one of his men did so, lifting the duke up by the arms and holding him suspended between them.

“Duck.” Xena remarked casually. Both men bowed their heads and she struck, in a solid backhanded stroke that took his head off cleanly and sent it flying across the banquet table.

His wife screamed.  Xena gazed dispassionately at her. She fell off her chair and continued to scream in utter terror, the sound piercing the room and making an eerie counterpoint to the fluttering of the torches.

Xena let her eyes slowly track across the room. “Everyone get my… point?” She had to grin at the macbre humor.

Other than the woman’s screams, it was dead silent.

“Good.” Xena wiped her sword off on Edagar’s linen surcoat.  She turned and walked up the steps to her throne, idly twirling her sword in her hand.  The woman’s voice broke off into hysterical sobbing, but Xena didn’t turn around.  She sat down on her throne, and put her sword across her knees.

Only then, after a deep breath, did she look to her right to where Gabrielle was sitting.

The slave was gazing straight ahead, her lips pressed against her folded hands.

“Gonna listen to me next time?” Xena asked.

Gabrielle nodded slightly.

Xena fiddled with her sword hilt, aware of the sick feeling in the pit of her stomach. Usually killing made her feel good, but watching the tremor in Gabrielle’s hands it was hard for her to feel anything but a little depressed. 

She watched the guards drag both Edagar’s body and Edagar’s wife out.

Her back hurt.

Xena motioned Jeallaus to start playing again, as whispers finally broke the silence. The sound of the harp was almost surreal, but it was soothing to her ears as she sat back in her throne and listened.

After a few minutes, Gabrielle straightened and braced her hands on her knees, drawing in a deep breath and releasing it. She turned to look at Xena.

Xena returned the look. 

“How did you know he was the one behind it all?” Gabrielle asked, in a soft voice.

“I didn’t.” The queen told her. “I made an example of him so the rest of the bastards who joined in will think twice before they do it again.”

The slave nodded slightly. “Do you know who they are?”

“Yes.”

Another slight nod. “Then you could have done that to all of them, couldn’t you?”

“I would have had to sharpen this a couple times, but sure.” Xena smiled grimly. “I could have. But if you kill em all, you don’t’ have any tax base left.”

“Oh.” Gabrielle rubbed her eyes.

Xena could only imagine the image she was trying to erase from them. “You know what?”

“What?” The slave looked up at her.

“I’ve had enough fun for one night. Let’s go.”  Xena stood up, motioning for Alaran to approach with her sheath. “I want to get this damn gown off, and wash the stink of this place off me.”  She took the leather sheath and slid the sword home. “You take care of everything?”

“Yes, Majesty.” Alaran seemed a lot more relaxed. “The men… were very pleased with your gift.” He told her. “And my spies tell me… those that supported Bregos are very, very sorry.”

“Mm.. you can say that again.” Xena grunted. “I’m going to the tower. If anyone gets drunk in here, throw them in the dungeon for a sevenday and fine them a hundred dinars.”

“Mistress.” Alaran bowed. “It has been a very profitable day.”

Xena watched Gabrielle come to stand quietly at her shoulder, the shadows painfully evident in her eyes. “Yeah.”  The queen shifted her sword to her left hand and let her right rest on Gabrielle’s shoulder. She half expected the girl to flinch, and found a small glimmer of warmth when she didn’t. “I made a mint. C’mon, kid. Let’s go get comfortable.”

Gabrielle straightened and produced a gentle smile.

“Are you well, majesty?” Alaran asked suddenly, leaning closer. “Truth, I’d forgotten you were injured.”

“That thing? Just a scratch.” Xena slung her arm over Gabrielle’s shoulders and started down the steps. “Now at least we can put the whole damn thing behind us, and move on.”

“You’re right, Majesty.” Alaran watched them go. “That we can.”

Gabrielle waited until they were out of the hall, and walking towards the grand staircase before she spoke. “You know something?”

Xena sighed. “I’m a cold, heartless whore bitch assassin with no morals and less conscience?”

“Um..” Gabrielle cleared her throat a little. “No.. that guy Alaran gives me the creeps.”

“He’s a spy. He is a creep.”

“Oh.”

Xena walked along the hall, glad of the cool breeze after the heated warmth of the banquet chamber. “You don’t think I’m a cold heartless whore bitch assassin with no morals and less conscience?”

“No.” Gabrielle put an arm around her. “Just a really strong person who does what they think they have to.”

Xena looked at her. “I think you just proposed to me.”  She remarked, feeling a little of the gloom lifting. “Impulsive thing, aren’t you?”

Gabrielle exhaled, her shoulders relaxing. “I’m really glad it’s all over.”

“Nice change of subject.” Even in the dark, Xena could sense the blush.  She pushed the long day out of her mind, and focused on the future.  Bregos was taken care of. The rebellion was squashed. She had a pretty girl in her arms, and with any luck, she could take time now to heal in peace.

And get to know Gabrielle a little better, now that it seemed the girl wasn’t screaming and running for her life after the night’s entertainment.

Yet.

**

Shadows of the Soul

Part 9

Gabrielle slipped into her new cubbyhole, one ear cocked to hear Xena’s orders to the staff outside. She paused in the center of the room and looked around, surprised but pleased at the space around her. The ceiling was high, and the room, closet really she reckoned, was almost square and the walls had lots of little shelves and alcoves in them to put things in. Where her previous space had obviously just been a forgotten curve in the wall, this had light, and even a worn but respectable rug covering a good part of the stone floor.

Her cot was against the wall along with the small chest, and she went over to it and started stripping off her livery.

Her mind kept returning to dinner, though, and she found herself reliving the horrible moment that had ended it, not so much the vision of Xena killing the duke but the heart rending scream of the wife he’d left behind.   It resonated with her, and reminded her strongly of the moment when she’d seen the arrow pierce Lila’s chest and she was having a hard time getting past the image again despite the fact that she knew Xena had done what she’d thought she needed to.

Just like with Lila. Gabrielle smoothed her fingertips over the yellow hawk, caught again by the paradox her life was rapidly becoming.

By all rights, Xena’s nature, and her cold hearted willingness to slaughter should be repelling her. And yet Gabrielle felt herself being drawn closer and closer to the dangerous and deadly queen despite all logic to the contrary.  Even watching her dispatch the noble had only jolted her empathy for the man’s wife, rather than stirred up horror at the man’s death itself.  Was she starting to get used to it?  Gabrielle sat down and removed her boots. Was Xena right? Was she even getting a taste for the excitement of it all?

She stood up and removed her leggings, then slipped out of the buttery golden shirt, folding it neatly and laying it over the overtunic.  The stone walls held a chill that raised goosebumps on her bare skin and she rubbed her arms absently as she tried to make sense of it.

And realized there was none to be had, at least at the moment.  She hated the violence, and the deadly games of the court. But even though Xena was the core of it, Gabrielle knew it wasn’t in her heart to hate the queen.

Far from it. She closed her eyes in quiet confirmation. Could she hate everything Xena stood for, and love Xena herself?  Her ears caught the sound of Xena moving into the bathing room, and she felt her heart skip a beat.

Well. That wasn’t fear stirring in her guts, virgin or no she knew that much.

She sighed as she tucked her boots under the cot and stood up, running her fingers through her hair as she went to her little chest and removed a shift to sleep in. She pulled it over her head and put her livery away neatly folded, then paused as she started to stand up when she spotted a small, neglected looking box tucked back in the corner of the space.

Curious, she walked over and crouched next to it, lifting the latch and opening the top to peer inside.

**

For once,  she wanted hot water.  Xena dipped a finger into the gently steaming liquid, giving the two slaves who had brought the buckets and approving nod. “Great. Now get out.”  She told them, watching the guard herd them out the door and into the hallway.  She waited for the door to close then she wandered back into the bathing room and rested her forearms on the edge of the marble tub.

“Hm.” Xena regarded the water for a minute. Then she walked over to the stone alcove set into the wall and picked up a small jar, removing the top and sniffing warily.  “Eh.” She muttered. “It’s better than flowers.”  She walked over and sprinkled a bit of the bath salts into the water, releasing a light scent of sandalwood and nutty cinnamon into the air. Putting the jar back, she went to her closet and untied the ornate belt on her gown, noting the blood spatter that dotted the fabric in a swath from her shoulder to her hip.

With a grimace, she removed the gown and draped it over a wooden stand in the closet. Studying her choices, she selected a brief, silk robe and eased it over her shoulders, tying the thin woven cord loosely around her waist.  She studied her reflection in the mirror, then ran a hand through her hair to fluff it’s bangs a trifle.

One eyebrow lifted in dire sarcasm. “Ohhh… you’ve got it bad.” She accused her reflection. “Last time you primped it was for your horse.”

With a half disgusted shake of her head, she turned her back on the mirror. Barefoot, she stepped silently into the bedroom and leaned on a cornice outside the door to the space she’d had Gabrielle’s things put in.

It was a small cubby, a closet really she’d never used that the castle’s prior occupants had stored their volumes of rich clothing and personal trinkets in. It was larger than the alcove outside in the hall, though, and it had a wall sconce for a hanging oil lamp that lit the interior with a pleasing warm glow.

It was quiet inside. Xena unfolded her arms and walked to the door, peering inside.  Gabrielle was sitting on her cot, leaning back against the wall with her legs folded up under her. She had  piece of parchment in her hands and she was reading it, seemingly completely absorbed but it’s contents.

Xena smiled at the sight. Then she put her fingers between her teeth and let out a piercing whistle, causing Gabrielle to nearly levitate off the cot and onto the floor.

“Yow!” The slave yelped, grabbing her chest. “Oh!”

“Heh heh.” Xena entered and looked around, putting her hands on her scantily clad hips. “Well, it beats the broom closet out there.”

Gabrielle caught her breath, then lost it again as she caught a look at the darkened blue eyes watching her. “Uh… yes… it’s… I like it.”

“Do ya?” Xena strolled over and took a seat next to her on the cot, making the mattress rustle and the straps under it creak.  “What’s that?” She pointed at the parchment.

“Oh.” Gabrielle looked down at the writing. “I found it in that box over there. It’s a poem.” She offered it to Xena. “It’s beautiful. Did you write it?”

“Me?” The queen burst into a wry laugh. “Gabrielle, I’d sooner skin rats with my teeth than write poetry.” She mouthed the last word as thought it were a curse. “Poetry? Me?”

The slave put the parchment down on her lap and scratched her jaw. “I’m sorry.” She apologized in a soft voice. “It had an ‘X’ on the bottom so I thought…”

Xena snatched the parchment and examined it.  “X must be for unknown.”  She said finally, tossing the parchment back. “I’ve never seen it before.”

Gabrielle fingered the hide. “Is it okay if I keep it?”

The queen folded her arms over her chest, and eyed her. “It’s not mine. Why should I care if you do?”  She could see the smile starting on Gabrielle’s face and decided to change the subject. “I have a hot bath waiting.”

The slave folded the parchment carefully and put it into her trunk. “Would you like me to wash your shoulder?” She asked.

“I’d like you to get in the tub with me and wash me all over.” Xena answered, with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes.  She watched the green eyes facing her widen to an almost comical degree and saw the muscles on either side of Gabrielle’s face relax as her jaw dropped.  With a smirk, she reached over and tipped the slave’s head to one side. “Think those are your brains dripping out. Careful.”

Gabrielle closed her jaw with a slight clicking sound as her teeth met. She remained silent, however, her eyes wide open and borderline fearful.

Not what Xena wanted. “Hey.” She patted Gabrielle’s cheek. “It’s been a long day, and I’m really too tired to sadistically rape you. Relax.”  She watched the girls’ expressive face. “Gabrielle?”

Gabrielle exhaled. “Um.. I’m.. sorry. That just.. sort of surprised me.”

Xena pursed her lips. “Come.” She got up off the cot and held her hand out. “I don’t ask for hot water often, and it’d be a crime to waste it.”

Shyly, Gabrielle stood and took her outstretched fingers, clasping them as she followed Xena out and through the bedroom into the bathing chamber.

Steam was rising faintly over the tub, and it smelled wonderful. Gabrielle felt scared, and excited and her heart started doing somersaults in her chest as she felt herself drawn towards the marble basin.

“It’s just a bath.” Xena cupped her cheek gently. “Don’t pass out when you get in there, or you’ll drown and it’ll just ruin my day, okay?”

The humor helped. Gabrielle dropped her eyes, knowing she was blushing, but nodded.

Xena held back a wry chuckle, as she untied the laces on her slave’s shirt, and tugged it over her head. A moment later, she added her own robe to it, and tossed them both to one side. Then she stepped over the edge of the tub into the pleasantly warm water and steered Gabrielle to do the same.

Which was hard, since the kid still had her eyes closed. Xena took the opportunity to study her bare body, noting the pleasant proportions as well as surprising, few scars in addition to the one on her leg. The girl took in a deep breath and her ribs expanded, easily visible under her pale skin.

Xena reached over and touched a faint bump on one of them, causing a slight gasp to escape from Gabrielle’s throat.  This was not, the queen decided, the time to probe for the pieces of this particular puzzle however.

There would be time for that.

“Hey.” Xena patted Gabrielle’s cheek, and watched the pale lashes flutter open. “I’m not a guide dog.” She pointed downward. “Sit.”

The tub was more than large enough for both of them, and once settled, Gabrielle seemed to relax a little. She looked around her, touching the side of the tub with a sense of wonder.

As well she might. It was rose marble, and admittedly the nicest bathtub this side of Rome. Xena leaned her shoulder against the stone and lifted the soap off it’s holder, releasing some lather into the water. Playfully, she blew some of the floating bubbles towards Gabrielle and as they reached her chest, the girl finally looked up and met her eyes. “So.”

Gabrielle had apparently moved past embarrassment. “So.” She responded, her voice slightly husky.

“Here we are. Naked, in a tub full of hot water, romantic candles burning nearby…” Xena remembered to grin so the kid would know she was playing with her.

“It’s beautiful.” Gabrielle answered softly. “I’ve never been in warm water like this. It feels great.” She lifted her hand out of the liquid and let it run through her fingers. “I was… in our family I was the oldest, so I ended up with pretty cold water, in a wooden trough and my sister to get cleaned up.”

“I ended up in ice cold streams most of the time.” Xena admitted, with a chuckle. “Until I conquered everyone and took over this place. Now I can have hot water whenever I want, and damned if I ever ask for it.” She reached out and captured Gabrielle’s hand, scrubbing it lightly with the soap. “Besides, it’s a boring tub to be in by yourself.”

Okay. Gabrielle felt her heart settling down to the business of actually moving her blood around inside her instead of trying to climb out of her throat. It’s just a bath, like she said Gabrielle.  You’re here, it’s nice, she’s just being playful… it’s okay.   Her body relaxed and she decided to try a little playfulness herself.

Gabrielle inched a little closer and took the soap, getting some lather on her fingers and cleaning Xena’s hand with it. “You have really nice hands.”

Xena’s eyebrows lifted. “I have paws the size of a bears that can break walnuts or choke a horse, Gabrielle.” She opened her palm, exposing the muscular palm and long fingers.

“But they’re pretty.” Gabrielle disregarded the words, running soap over the appendage in question. “They fit you.. they’re the right size for you. I remember this lady that lived in Potadeia.. she was kinda short.”

“Like you are.”

“Shorter.”

“Ah. A midget.” Xena’s eyes twinkled more brightly.

“Anyway, her hands were almost the same size as yours.” Gabrielle continued. “They looked really weird.” She examined her handiwork. “But yours are just right.”

Xena reached out and drew a soapy line down Gabrielle’s nose. “If you say so.” She watched the girl’s eyes almost cross watching her finger.  “Know what?”

“What?” Gabrielle blew a bit of bubbles across the water in idle delight.

“You’re cute.”

Green eyes gone round again blinked at her. “I am?”

Xena stroked her cheek, feeling the warmth erupt under her fingertips. “Yes, you are.” She answered seriously. “You’re adorable, and I really like that.”

Gabrielle went seriously tongue tied.

Xena’s lips quirked. “You’re supposed to say something nice back.” She instructed dryly. “And don’t mention my hands, that doesn’t count.”

The blond girl’s lips opened, then she paused and took a breath. “Um…”

“Um?”

“You’re the most beautiful person I’ve ever seen.”

Xena wiggled her brows. “Mm…. nice start.” She complimented her bath mate. “Now, let’s get washed up, so we can continue our discussion someplace drier.”

Gabrielle seriously wondered, after that, if she could possibly have floated out of the tub because she certainly didn’t remember climbing anywhere.

**

They ended up in front of the fire, sitting on the thick rug instead of on the chairs to spare Xena’s back the pressure.  Sitting there in her woven shift, long legs crossed under her, the queen presented a far less imposing sight as she cradled a cup of heated cider in her hands.

Gabrielle suspected she was just getting used to adjusting to the whirlwind she now lived in. Instead of worrying about what was happening, and more important, what was going to happen, she simply enjoyed the feel of the sheepskin rug against her skin, the taste of the cider and the sight of this beautiful intriguing woman almost knee to knee with her.

She likes me. Gabrielle could almost taste the sweetness of the words. She thinks I’m cute.  Even Perdicus, back home, who’d been the closest thing she’d had to a boyfriend hadn’t looked at her like Xena was right at that very moment.

Of course, Xena was way more gorgeous mussed and rumpled than Perdicus could have ever been on his best day and Gabrielle was pretty sure she hadn’t looked at Perdy the way she was looking at Xena either.

For a moment, she wondered what had become of Perdicus. He hadn’t been in Potadeia the day the slavers had hit them, and she felt a little awful thinking of him returning home to find everything gone.  She looked up at Xena, who was studying the fire, deep in thought.

What would it have been like to see your family killed, when you were just little?  Gabrielle concentrated and tried to remember what it was like when she was small, when her world had been simple; just mama and da, the baby she remembered Lila as, and warm blankets and sunshine.

She gazed at Xena’s profile, with it’s strong planes and uncompromising angles, and tried to imagine her as a little girl.  It was hard.

As though sensing the observation, Xena shook off her deep thoughts and turned to meet Gabrielle’s eyes. She lifted her cup and sipped it, then extended it in silence towards the girl.

Gabrielle touched it’s side with her own cup, and they both drank.  Xena shifted around so they were facing each other, her kneecaps just brushing Gabrielle’s. “So. Here we are.”

“Here we are.” Gabrielle repeated, with a tiny smile. “I’m.. um… “

“Scared?”

“Not… really, no.”

Xena’s eyebrows hiked up. “Reeeallly?” She drawled, rolling the sound out. “You’re not afraid of me anymore, Gabrielle? I don’t believe it.”

Well…  The blond woman shifted and focused on her cup, it’s gently steaming surface sending the rich scent of apples to her.  She heard Xena shift, and then next thing she knew the queen’s fingers were sliding through her hair and giving it a gentle tug. “I’m not.” Gabrielle peeked at her erstwhile tormenter. “Scared.. I’m just a little.. um...”

“Hm?”  Xena lazily traced one of her slave’s ears, a nicely pink well shaped appendage. “A little what?”  She slid her thumb over Gabrielle’s cheekbone, and felt the almost imperceptible pressure as she leaned into the touch.

“Ne..nervous.” Gabrielle stuttered softly.

“Ahh.”  Xena chortled, almost under her breath. “Why are you nervous, Gabrielle? You been listening to those old woman’s tales about the great mysteries of.. ‘down there’ again?”  She teased. “Afraid what I might do to you? Think you could end up growing a second head or something?”

Gabrielle had to laugh, just a little, at the image. She forced herself to relax and met Xena’s eyes. The firelight softened the ice blue, and she could see again glimmers of humanity behind them. “Not really, no. I mean..” She fingered her cup and smiled. “I’m seventeen, not twelve.”

“Ahh.”  Xena said again. “You know, I usually don’t have these little discussions with my nubile conquests.”  She mentioned casually. “Patience is not my virtue.”

Gabrielle’s eyebrows twitched. “I kind of figured that out.” She said, studying Xena’s face. “I know you can do whatever you want to me, and there’s not much I can do about it.”  She watched a wary cast shield the queen’s eyes. “So why don’t you?”

Xena was silent for a bit, sipping her cider as she considered. “Because I told you I don’t rape slaves, and it’s true. I don’t.”

“Oh.” The blond woman nibbled on her lower lip, then blushed slightly. “Well, is it really rape… if the other person thinks it’s okay?” She stuttered getting the last word out, and her blush deepened to a deep crimson. She snuck a glance at Xena’s face, and caught a mixture of emotion on it that surprised her.

“It depends if the slave is telling the truth… or just wants to gain my favor… or is just too scared to say no.” Xena replied evenly. “Which is it, Gabrielle?” She pinned the slave with a glare, fierce and intent now.

Gabrielle frowned a little, then tilted her head thoughtfully.

“Well?” Xena’s voice dropped to a growl.

“I’m just trying to figure out…” The slave said. “If you’re trying to scare me…” She took Xena’s hand in hers. “Or scare me off.” Holding Xena’s gaze, she lifted her hand up and very gently kissed the knuckles of it. “Which is it, your Majesty?”

And Xena was caught. She stared at Gabrielle for long, frozen moment.

“I don’t want anything from you except what you want to give me.” Gabrielle’s voice was serious, and heartfelt. “Yes, I am scared, and nervous, and I have no idea what I’m getting myself into, and I might even end up dead because of it, but…” She looked down at the queen’s hand, laying still in her own.

The hand slowly lifted, with her fingers clinging to it, and laid itself flat against her cheek. Gabrielle felt Xena’s thumb brush her cheekbone and in the tenderness of the motion, she found the courage to look back up into those fathomless blue eyes.

“But you want to do it anyway.” Xena smiled slowly.

Gabrielle nodded hesitantly.

The queen closed her fingers around Gabrielle’s hand and clasped it, lifting it up and studying it with a darkly feral intensity. Her conscience teetered on the edge for the length of a hearbeat, then plunged over with a sense of dizzying flight.

She closed her hand tighter and looked at her slave. “Me, too.” She uttered, with a grin. “So since you won’t scare off….”

Uh oh. Gabrielle drew in a breath, sensing the rising emotion between them.

“C’mere.” Xena slid her hand around to the back of Gabrielle’s neck and pulled her closer, leaning forward to kiss her. Words were one thing, but Xena knew better than most that the real truth was more often found in the silences between them.

She felt Gabrielle lean against her, a relaxed surrender to her touch that made a fire start in her own guts. She explored the blond woman’s lips, tasting the spiced apple on them as her fingers traced the outline of Gabrielle’s face.

Her body growled, desire pulsing up inside her as she deepened her kiss, allowing her other hand to touch Gabrielle’s side. The ribs under her fingers expanded sharply, and she felt the tiny gasp of air between their lips.

She made a more solid contact, and the warmth of Gabrielle’s body came through the fabric as she explored slowly upward, running her touch over each rib felt clearly through the skin until she reached the firm curve of the slave’s breast.

A small, half surprised sound emerged from Gabrielle’s throat. Xena chuckled softly and probed deeper with her tongue, almost making a refined squawk of her own when Gabrielle’s hand gently stroked her upper thigh.

There was reverence in the touch that charmed her.

Xena came up for a breath of air and watched Gabrielle’s eyelids flutter open, revealing mist green eyes gone almost hazel with passion.   With a smile, the queen rubbed noses with her, surprising a tiny chuckle out of the younger woman as she attempted to catch her breath.

Xena realized she was breathing a little harder as well, and her body was urging her to continue, her fingers tracing a slow line over Gabrielle’s rounded breast and feeling the nipple in it’s center tense under her light shirt.  “Like it so far?” She inquired.

“Uh.” Gabrielle had to swallow before she answered. “It’s.. um..”

“Intense?” Xena breathed in her ear, nibbling the lobe as she heard the air come out of Gabrielle’s chest in an almost subaudible groan. “Mmm… I like someone who appreciates what I do.”

Gabrielle shifted closer and reached out, then paused. “Is it okay if I….”

“Nah.” Xena told her, with wicked cheerfulness. “I’ll break your fingers.”  She nibbled the tip of Gabrielle’s nose and met the blinking green eyes. “Just kidding… go ahead.”

Gabrielle grinned, just a tiny bit, and stroked Xena’s arm as she tilted her head to receive another, more passionate kiss.

Xena found herself enjoying the moment immensely.  She suspected she was going to continue enjoying it, and her body was waking up to the sensation of Gabrielle’s hesitant touch. Half of her conscience still had misgivings, but a greater part of her was taking over, wanting the intimacy with a power that frankly surprised her.

Maybe it was Gabrielle’s innocence.  Xena tugged the laces loose on the slave’s shift. Or maybe it was the way she responded to Xena’s touch as though she were playing a harp and the slave’s utterances were it’s music.

“Wow.” Gabrielle murmured, somewhere near her ear. “You taste nice.”

Or maybe it was that she was just so damn cute. Xena felt her reservations jump out the window. “Thanks.”  She eased the shift off one of Gabrielle’s shoulders and got down to bare skin. “But you know what?”

Gabrielle had found the gap in the front of her robe and she ran a curious finger across Xena’s navel. “What?”

The queen sucked in a breath. “I’d taste a lot better on the bed.”

“Really?”

Xena put an arm around her and pulled her closer, exulting in the heat as their bodies touched. “Trust me.”  She slowly stood, carrying Gabrielle with her.

“I do.”  Gabrielle replied simply. “But I’m not really sure…”

Xena silenced her words with a kiss, pressing her body against the slaves and running her hand down Gabirelle’s side. “Don’t worry.” She whispered into her ear. “I’ll teach you.” 

The bed gathered them in. Xena stretched herself out fully, then planned out her attack.

**

Gabrielle watched the candlelight frame Xena’s outline as she settled herself into the soft surface of the bed, her body tingling all over.  Already the fear she’d been filled with was fading, being replaced by excitement and a tickling anticipation.

Xena’s robe was half open. Gabrielle wondered if she should loosen the belt of it, reaching out and taking hold of the soft fabric just as she felt Xena shift closer.

The next thing she felt was a tickle of cool air as her shift was slipped up over her hips, and the solid, almost shocking warmth of Xena’s hand as it touched her skin underneath. Her breathing started speeding up again, making her feel a little lightheaded. She kept hold of Xena’s belt as the queen gently rolled her over, achieving her own goal of pulling that robe open.

Oo.  Gabrielle found Xena leaning over her suddenly. She saw a flicker of light, then realized Xena held a dagger in her hand.  Her throat closed, and she felt her eyes widen as she gazed up at the queen wondering for a long horrible moment if she hadn’t just made a terrible mistake.

Xena must have seen it in her face. The dark haired woman’s head tilted to one side, blunting the intensity of her look and she winked at Gabrielle reassuringly.

The knife came closer, though, and Gabrielle couldn’t help but close her eyes as she felt the pressure of the blade against her belly.

She heard the sound of the knife penetrating the fabric of her shift, a soft popping noise that made her completely stop breathing.  The pressure traveled up her body, but no pain followed it, until she heard the light snap as the blade cut through the laces near her throat.

Then it stopped.

She kept her eyes closed, her heart pounding so fast she couldn’t count the beats. It had stopped being fun, and definitely stopped being exciting.

She felt like crying.

“Gabrielle.”  Xena’s voice was unexpectedly gentle.

Fearfully, she forced her eyes open. The knife was gone, and Xena was leaning over her.

“I’ve got a hole in my back. Wrestling off your dress wasn’t in my plans.” The queen told her.

Gabrielle let out a breath. “Oh.”

“Did you really think I was going to waste all that foreplay just to cut you to pieces?” Xena inquired, an odd note sounding in her words.

Gabrielle felt a touch foolish. “I’m sorry.” She whispered. “I didn’t know what was happening.”

Xena eased down next to her, brushing her body against the slaves. She slid a hand behind Gabrielle’s head and leaned close to her, until they were almost nose to nose. “Listen to me.” She captured the slave’s eyes, letting the reins loose on her own personality a little. “I won’t hurt you.”

Gabrielle exhaled, feeling some of the tension leave her. She very much wanted to believe Xena, and looking up into those candelit blue eyes there was something inside her heart reassuring her that she could. Hesitantly, she lifted her hand up and touched Xena’s cheek, exploring those strong planes curiously as she felt the queen smile under her fingertips. “Okay.”

“You believe me?” Xena asked, easing the cut shift aside and running a hand down Gabrielle’s now bare belly.

Gabrielle nodded, feeling her body respond strongly to the touch.

The queen dipped her head and nipped her slave very lightly on the collarbone, lifting up to meet her eyes again. “I could hurt you, if I wanted to.”

“I know.” Gabrielle whispered.

“But I don’t want to.” Xena said. “I want to make you feel good.”  She cupped Gabrielle’s breast and ran her thumb gently over the nipple. “I want you to  enjoy this, and not be afraid of me. Think you can manage that?”

Gabrielle brushed the back of her knuckles over the queen’s lips, her body already coming up with it’s own answer. She nodded, the need to lose herself again in those beautiful eyes becoming the focus of her thoughts. The fear faded, it’s lingering chill brushed aside by Xena’s lips as they touched hers, bringing that sweet taste back.

Xena’s body pressed against hers.  Gabrielle’s hand brushed against the queen’s hip as she felt Xena’s touch slide up her belly, exploring her curiously.

It felt good. Gabrielle sucked in a breath, swallowing against a suddenly dry throat. Xena’s lips moved lower, suckling at the base of her throat as the queen eased a knee between hers.  It felt very good, and she exhaled, a low sound vibrating her vocal cords unexpectedly.

Xena laughed softly, her breath warming Gabrielle’s skin.

Gabrielle felt that same warmth envelope her breast, then a jolt of sensation nearly made her eyes pop out of her head as Xena’s lips teased and nipped at her. It was an amazing feeling, like little bolts were flying all over her skin and it made her want more of it.

Xena seemed inclined to provide that, because while she kept doing what she was doing, she also started stroking the inside of Gabrielle’s leg and that…

Gabrielle could feel a fire igniting in her guts, warm and strange and more compelling than anything else she’d ever felt before.  It set her heart racing, and she could barely control her body’s response. She tangled her fingers in Xena’s dark hair and curled forward, burying her face in the spicy scented skin of the queen’s neck.

A new coolness, as her underwraps were peeled off and Xena’s touch became very personal indeed.  Gabrielle could feel a pressure building inside her that was almost unbearable as she uttered a groan.

“Hurting you?” Xena’s voice rasped in her ear, accompanied by a lick and a nibble on her lobe.

“N…augh… n..” Gabrielle didn’t know what Xena was doing, but her entire body felt like it was about to go into convulsions.  “Oh!”

“I’m gonna take that as a no.” Xena chuckled, ducking her head and nibbling her way down Gabrielle’s body.  She could feel the slave’s hands clenched in her hair and she explored the slim body with a sense of delighted pleasure. It was as though whatever she did, wherever she touched was just the right thing and place to drive her little friend out of her mind.

She’d never had someone be so responsive to her before, and the power was, even for someone as used to power as Xena, intoxicating. 

“Augh.” The groan came out of Gabrielle’s guts this time.

Xena felt Gabrielle’s body pressed against her touch, straining as her touch became a little more insistent. She went a little deeper, and as she did she felt a strong grip take hold of her neck, surprising her with it’s power as Gabrielle’s body arced against her.

The slave let out a yell.

Xena fuzzily thought it was much more pleasant than a scream.

Gabrielle felt like her skin was turning inside out. She grabbed hold of Xena, beyond fear at this point, and clutched her as her body shuddered, convulsing with a sensation so powerful it made her hearing stop for a moment, narrowing down to the thunder of her own heartbeat.

It didn’t stop, but crested and rolled over her, shuddering through her and making her nape hairs stand up straight in an odd chill as the room’s air pass through them.  For a long moment, all she could feel was heat, then her body resumed breathing as the sensation slowed and gentled, and Xena’s lips teasingly captured hers again and coaxed the breath from them.

Gods. All Gabrielle could do was respond weakly, her fingers stroking Xena’s cheek. “Augh.”

“Hmmm…. Is that good or bad?” Xena’s voice wound around her mind.

“Gg…h.. wow.”

“Mm… sounds like a good to me.”  The queen continued her touches, as her slave’s body relaxed against her.

Gabrielle nestled against Xena’s neck, breathing in her scent. “Amaz..ing.”  She uttered. “Wow.”

Xena paused a moment, and glanced down as a thought suddenly occurred to her. “You like?” She felt Gabrielle nod. “Good.”  

A tentative touch on her belly surprised her a little. Xena felt the girl’s fingertips explore her with hesitant curiosity.

“Will you  teach me to do that?” Gabrielle whispered.

Xena chuckled. “Oh, I hope so.” She said. “We’ll take it nice and slow. We’ve got plenty of time.”

“Mm.” Gabrielle gave her a sudden, and somewhat unexpected hug. “Heard so many bad stories… wasn’t like that at all.”

“Of course not.” Xena kissed her, confident in her ownership now. “Those stories had men in them.”

“Mm.. yeah.” The slave agreed, tracing Xena’s lips with her thumb. “They don’t know what they’re missing, huh?”

The queen chuckled wickedly, a low, full sound that resonated through her entire chest. “Oh.. you’re a fast learner. Lucky me.”  She chortled softly. “Ready for your first lesson?”

Gabrielle laughed with her, wondering why she’d ever been afraid.

**
But it had been a very long day, and Xena decided to postpone her little instruction session when an injudicious movement of her shoulder woke her abruptly to the memory of the injury she’d suffered. She settled for a period of warmly languid kissing and slow strokes of their hands as they lay quietly together.

Gabrielle had definitely caught on to the idea of saying nice things to her. Xena couldn’t recall when the last time was that she’d been told that often how pretty she was.

By someone who actually meant it. The queen eyed the ceiling, acknowledging her own vanity with a wry smile.  But there was no sense in denying the fact that it felt good and her ego appreciated the attention quite a bit more than she’d thought it would.

Now it was silent, save for the soft popping of the fireplace logs, and dark.  Xena was lying half on her side, one arm around Gabrielle’s relaxed body as she watched the faint, red flickers float across the room.

She was tired and almost sleepy. Soon, she would close her eyes and let the darkness take her, but it felt nice to simply lay in her bed and not be alone, for the first time in a very long time indeed.

Gabrielle was curled up, her body nestling against Xena’s and the queen could just feel the steady warmth of the girl’s breath against her ribs. In the dim light she could see Gabrielle’s profile , half hidden by her disheveled hair and the sight of the just barely visible smile brought a matching one to Xena’s face.

Gabrielle.  Xena rolled the name around in her mind, liking it’s rhythm.  

There had been many one night stands in her past. Xena preferred to find someone good looking, and take them to bed, relieving her pent up sexual energy and then tossing them out on their ass before the candles burned lowest.

But not this time. Xena rubbed a bit of the pale hair between her fingers. She had no desire whatsoever to toss Gabrielle out of her bed, out of her quarters, or out of her life.  She liked this kid. She liked her spunk and her innocence, and the powerful heart Xena could sense behind the youthful veneer.

She wanted to keep her. Xena exhaled contentedly. And she always got what she wanted.

**

For a while, Gabrielle just lay there with her eyes closed.

So many things had happened, she wanted to have the time to look at each one of them before she let life continue to flow around her, and this quiet darkness seemed like a good place to do that in.

She could feel Xena’s arm around her, and the warmth of the queen’s body in the cool air of the room was very comforting, as was the now getting to be familiar scent that just seemed to be a part of her. 

Gabrielle thought for a minute about where she was. The sureallness of it all almost made her head spin. What had happened to her the night before almost made her head spin.

Remembering how wonderful it had felt almost made other parts of her spin.

So. 

Now she really was what everyone thought she was. Gabrielle considered that seriously. The queen’s bedmate.

Her shoulders shook a little as an unexpected giggle emerged. They all said it like it was some kind of horror – Gabrielle suspected now that far from being a despised role, that everyone secretly was envious of it.  Xena had been right – she was a gorgeous woman, and she practically dripped sensuality, so much so that Gabrielle could feel a tingle starting up in her again just thinking about it.

It wasn’t at all like what had gone on down in the barracks. Xena hadn’t treated her like one of the stable animals at all – she’d treated her like….

Gabrielle opened her eyes, the dim light from the window and fireplace showing her bare outlines of Xena’s body inches from her nose. It was hard to remember such a short time ago, when she’d been terrified of this woman.

Xena had treated her like someone she valued. Someone whose well being were important to her.

It was a very special feeling. Gabrielle knew she’d never experienced it before. At home she’d just been one more of the village girls, just another pair of hands, another mouth to feed.

Strange that she’d had to become a slave to experience what this felt like. That seemed so wrong to her, so backwards, but no matter – it was the truth and she was glad she now knew what it felt like to be cared for as just herself.

How long would it last, though? Gabrielle exhaled. Will she get tired of me now?  Now that Xena had gotten what she wanted, would she send Gabrielle back to the kitchens, and select someone else?

“Hey.”

Gabrielle almost jumped off the bed when she felt the light tap on her butt. “Errrguh.” She managed to strangle a yelp and roll onto her back, looking up at Xena. “Um…. Hi.”

“Why aren’t you sleeping?” Xena asked.

“Um.. I was just…”

Xena covered her lips with her fingers. “Let me prove my royal omnipotence.  You were thinking, right?”

Gabrielle nodded.

“What about?”

What about? Should she tell Xena, or would the queen think it impertinent?  Gabrielle nibbled her lip  as she thought. Something about the darkness, and the intimacy robbed her of any fear. “About what happens next.”

Xena chuckled softly. “Can’t even wait for the morning? My my.”

Gabrielle realized how that sounded and had to muffle a giggle. “That’s not what I…meant.”

“Mm.” The queen’s low voice burred against her ears. “You mean, what happens next to you, now that I’ve salaciously seduced you and taken you to bed?”

The blushing thing was really getting old. Gabrielle rubbed her face.

“You get tossed in the midden and used as a dishrag.” Xena told her. “And I move on to the next conquest.”

Gabrielle looked up at her, seeing the briefest flash of light of her eyes. “Really?”

Xena smiled. “No.”

Somehow, part of her had known that. Gabrielle found Xena’s hand lying across her belly and she took it, tangling her fingers with the queen’s. 

“I don’t find people I can tolerate, much less like very often. I like to keep them around as long as possible.” Xena went on. “So don’t worry about it.”

“Okay.” Gabrielle snuggled closer. “I’m glad.”

“Oh, you are, huh?” Xena found herself chuckling. “Yeah, me too.” She found herself unexpectedly feeling an impulsive urge and gave into it, gathering Gabrielle into her arms and giving her a hug.  She heard the a surprised gurgle come out of the kid, then Gabrielle was returning the hug with some enthusiasm.

Funny. It made her heart beat almost as fast as Gabrielle’s shy touch the night before.  Xena felt a warm, nameless emotion rising in her, sweet as honey, and it intensified as Gabrielle put her head down on her shoulder and gave her a light, almost feathery kiss on the top of her breast.

Xena rested her cheek against the top of Gabrielle’s head and lost herself in the feeling.  It was so different than anything she’d ever known before, not the fire of sensuality but something much gentler and more encompassing.

She liked it. It made her feel good for reasons that really didn’t have anything to do with sex.  With one hand, she rubbed Gabrielle’s back. The girl had an arm draped over Xena’s stomach and it tightened in a light squeeze.  “You keep doing that, and I’ll keep you around for the rest of your life.”

Gabrielle lifted her head, her eyes visible in the moonlight as she looked at Xena in surprise.

Xena raised an eyebrow at her.

The slave made a tiny, happy face, then put her head back down and gave Xena another hug.

Xena let her eyes close, and in the warmth of this novel sensation, allowed sleep to take her at last.

**

Gabrielle held her head up high as she descended the last few stairs into the kitchen.  She was dressed in one of her blue work tunics, but it was thrown over her leggings and boots against the chill of the stronghold. The weather had turned again before dawn, and it was gray outside and storming.

Heads turned as she entered the room, and she paused a moment to take a quick look around for any of her fellow slave mates and take in a breath of air filled with the nutty scent of porridge.

Not spotting any of her friends, Gabrielle turned and made her way to the hearth, aware of the people edging away from her as she moved through the crowded kitchen.  “Hello.” She greeted the cook in a quiet voice. “I need some breakfast for her Majesty.”

The woman, the same one who had cruelly lashed her and the rest on their first arrival, wiped her hands hastily and nodded. “Yes, of course. What is her Majesty’s pleasure?”

Oh. Gabrielle peered at the foods available Good question.  She wondered if Xena liked porridge, which Gabrielle herself had never been that fond of. Perhaps it had been her mother’s version of it, which had tasted much like the paste the carpenter used to seal the joints in the furniture he made back in Potadeia. 

However, there was fruits and nuts, especially the thick black walnuts she’d often collected in the forest to put on it and she figured a loaf of fresh bread would go a long way to making up for it if it turned out Xena felt the same way about cereal that she did. She watched the cook set up a silver tray, two others leaving their tasks and coming over to help.

Silver bowls, painfully polished were set on the tray.  Gabrielle picked up a pitcher at random from the silver ones set by and went to the cider barrel, reflecting that Xena’s policy of eating from the common stock was probably a really really smart idea.

Stanislaus entered from the far side of the kitchen. He spotted her and hurried over, inspecting the tray with a jealous eye. “Good morning, Gabrielle.” He greeted her. “Is her Majesty awake, then?”

“Yes, she is.” Gabrielle answered, unable to quite repress a smile.

The seneschal studied her closely. “I see.”  He murmured. “I have her day’s schedule. I must confirm it with her.” He bustled off importantly, his status apparently reaffirmed by the previous day’s events.

Gabrielle watched him go, looking around and realizing that the atmosphere was indeed different than it had been the prior few days. There was a quietness… a watchfulness that put her nape hairs up, and made her wonder at what Bregos defeat had really accomplished.

She kept an eye on the cooks as the filled the bowl with steaming porridge, and brought her jug of cider over as she picked up a loaf of warm bread on it’s platter with herb butter and set it next to the cereal as the porridge settled into it’s level. “Some of those fruits, please.” She pointed.

One of the helpers brought her a bowl, and she set it on the tray.  Then she picked the silver salver up by it’s handles and turned.  She saw all the eyes avert themselves as she walked across the kitchen to the guarded door, two of Xena’s men standing spraddle legged on either side of the bottom stair.

No one came within a body length of her. An awkward silence surrounded Gabrielle as she passed between the guards and started upward, her passage unhindered and unremarked by them.

She got to the top of the stairs in time to see Alaran crossing the round hallway. He was dressed in his court gear, and appeared slightly preoccupied.

 He came over to her and inspected the tray, giving it a brief nod. “Did you watch the bowls?” He asked crisply.

Gabrielle nodded.

“Good.” Alaran guided her towards the queen’s outer chamber. He opened the door and stood back to let her pass, then followed her inside and closed the door behind both of them.

Stanislaus was waiting in the chamber, peering out of the window and watching the weather worsen. Xena was nowhere to be seen, which wasn’t surprising since Gabrielle had left the queen in bed. She eased past the seneschal and went to the inner door, bumping it lightly with her hip to open it. “Excuse me.” She gave them both a brief smile, before she disappeared into the inner bedroom, closing them out with a sense of wry pleasure.

Xena looked up as she entered. The queen was still sprawled in bed, the silk top sheet draped over her naked body as she reviewed a scroll. “That was fast.”

“Well.” Gabrielle set the tray down. “It’s not like I had to cook it.”

The queen chuckled. “Can you?”

“Cook?” Gabrielle looked up from her task. “Sure.”

Xena rolled over onto her side and propped her head up on one hand. “Really. Hm.” She considered. “I think I’m going to have you cook dinner for me tonight, then.” She paused, watching the shyly pleased smile cross Gabrielle’s face. “Twice.”

The blond girl paused in mid motion and peered over her shoulder. Her expression was uncertain.

“Yes, that was about sex.” Xena drawled. “Y’know, Gabrielle, you need to get past that shepherd mentality.”

Gabrielle wrinkled her nose, and ended up grinning bashfully at her. “You have some visitors outside.” She indicated the door.

“Too bad.” Xena said. “Let me guess, Alaran and Stanislaus?”

“Yes.”

Xena rolled onto her back and put a hand behind her head. “If I let them stew out there long enough, maybe they’ll come up with something useful to tell me.” She decided. “Is that cereal?”

“Yes.” Gabrielle mixed in some bits of fruit, and some nuts. Then she drizzled a little honey over the thick porridge.

“I hate that.”

“Me, too.” Gabrielle acknowledged. “But if you put enough stuff in it, it’s not that bad.”

“Mmmm….. “ Xena shook her head. “No, no… there’s nothing you could put in that bowl that would entice me to taste it, Gabrielle.” She paused thoughtfully. “Not even if you climbed in, I don’t think.”

Gabrielle’s shoulders shook . “Is that a challenge to my cooking skills?”  She asked. “Well, I have some bread and fruit here, too.”

“Tch. Giving up so easily?” Xena found herself enjoying the banter immensely. “C’mon, you can do better than that.”

The slave picked up one of the bowls and approached, kneeling down on the carpet next to the bed with her offering. “Could you just taste it?”

“Grrrrrr….” Xena made a face.

Gabrielle grinned. “Please?”

“If I don’t like it, can I cut one of your fingers off?” The queen slitted her eyes and looked extraordinarily fierce for a naked women under a silk sheet.

“Um.” Gabrielle winced and flexed her hands. “If you really want to, I guess.”

Xena kept her waiting for a few seconds, then finally she spoke. “G’wan, if you dare.” She opened her mouth and lifted her eyebrows invitingly.

Encouraged, Gabrielle picked up the spoon.

“Ah ah ah.” Xena shook her head warningly. She wiggled her fingers.

“Oh.” The slave put the spoon down, then gingerly scooped up a bit of the cereal on her index finger. She paused to make sure it was going to stay there, then boldly extended her hand and delivered the stuff into the queen’s waiting mouth.

Xena’s teeth immediately snapped shut on her finger, and held tight.  

Gabrielle’s eyes widened.

The queen grinned wickedly, keeping hold of her while her tongue worked at the bit of cereal. After a moment, she opened her jaws and released Gabrielle’s finger, then swallowed with a look of distinct surprise on her face. “Mm.” She licked her lips. “What did you put in that?”

“Did you like it?” Gabrielle examined her hand, which now had faint but distinct teeth marks on it.

“No I hated it, and I just want to make sure no one ever makes anything that tastes like that again.” Xena remarked dryly. “What did you put in there?”

Gabrielle guessed that she was being teased. “Some apple, walnuts, cinnamon, and honey.” She offered Xena a spoonful. “Did you hate it enough to try another mouthful?”

“Give me that.” Xena captured the bowl from her and pulled herself up in bed, the sheet keeping her only barely modest. “Go get your own.”

Gabrielle got up and went back to the tray, pleased at her success. It had been her one modest skill back at home, since she’d been lousy at just about every other homely craft.  She fixed her own bowl and set it aside, then she cut off some slices of bread and spread the herb butter on it.  She poured cider into one of the crystal goblets and brought it, and the bread over to Xena’s bedside.

Xena looked up at her as she knelt again. “You know what your problem is?” She asked bluntly. “You’ve got too many clothes on.”

“B..” Gabrielle bit her tongue accidentally.  “Ow. Um… it’s cold.”

“Not under here it isn’t.” Xena’s eyes twinkled over her bowl of cereal.  She chuckled at Gabrielle’s expression, then she leaned over towards her. “How does the hole in my back look?”

Gabrielle set the bread and cider down on the table and put a hand on the queen’s shoulder, peering at the injury on her back. “Oh.”  She murmured in surprise.  The swollen redness of the skin had greatly reduced, and the place where she’d sewn the wound closed was scabbed over and apparently intact. “Not that bad, really.”

“Mm.” Xena flexed her arm a little. “Feels better.” She straightened and went back to her cereal. “Just needed some rest… matter of fact, I think I’ll decree today stay in bed day.”  She scraped the last of the cereal up and swallowed it. “What do you think about that, slave?”

“Well.” Gabrielle took the bowl. “Do I get to stay in bed too?” She asked, stuttering just slightly.

Xena ran a fingertip along the inside seam of Gabrielle’s leggings, up the inside of her thigh. “Of course.” She said. “Don’t’ you like to spend rainy days in bed, Gabrielle?”

Gabrielle turned and looked outside the window, where sleeting rain was now rattling the panes. “No, I never got to do that.” She admitted. “We weren’t allowed to stay in bed past sunrise, because of all the chores and things we had to do. I was in charge of the animals.”

“Well, this is your time for firsts, isn’t it?” Xena sipped from her cup. “Go get your breakfast. I’ll get rid of the small chittering animals in the next room, then we can induct you into the sleeping in the daylight club.”

Feeling a mixture of sensual excitement and embarrassment, Gabrielle retreated to the tray on the table and picked up her bowl, sitting on the padded chair next to the table and taking a spoonful of it. She was aware of Xena getting up out of bed and going to the bathing room, but she managed to force herself to keep her eyes on her breakfast and not gawk.

Moments later, Xena emerged in a scarlet robe, a thick woven fabric lined with a strip of soft, white fur. She tightened the belt around her waist and walked to the door, giving Gabrielle a wink before she slipped through it.

Ooo… Gabrielle took a bite of bread. Xena had a very sexy walk, and she wondered why she’d just noticed that now.

**

“All right.” Xena walked to her big chair and sat in it, facing her two servants.  “Talk fast. I’ve got plans for today that don’t include either of you.”

Alaran bowed in Stanislaus’ direction.

The seneschal inclined his head politely. “Mistress, I had thought to consolidate your victory by assembling the loyal nobles for a luncheon with you today.”

“No.” Xena shook her head. “No audiences today. I won’t be attending court, or the ballroom for dinner.”

“But…”

“Hearing going? Maybe you’re too old to be doing this.” The queen stated flatly.

“Mistress…” Alaran spoke up. “My esteemed colleague has an excellent notion. The loyal ones would be drawn closer by such an event.”

“I don’t give a damn.” Xena said. “Set them up tomorrow if you want. Not today.”  She pointed to the window. “You think they’d like to travel here in that? I’d spend the rest of the winter season getting the stink of wet wool out of my chambers.”

“Most of them have stayed here in the stronghold, Mistress.” Stanislaus murmured.

“Good. Then have them served in their chambers, with my compliments.” The queen said. “Have the staff put something nice, like roses or maybe a dead rat on the tray. Something to show my gracious appreciation of their loyalty.”

Stanislaus fingered his goatee. Then he nodded. “It would be well, Mistress.” He agreed. “I will arrange for something delightful for them.”  He said. “But for you not to appear today…”

“Will just have to be coped with. If anyone asks, tell them I’m spending the day reviewing the wagers my spies reporting everyone making, to see what punitive action I might want to take.”

Stanislaus grunted, blinking as he absorbed the message. “That will put them thinking.”

“I doubt it, unless they take their pants off and air out their brains.” Xena rolled her eyes.

“Very well, Mistress. Shall I have your service brought for dinner, then?” The seneschal asked. “I believe the cook acquired some pheasant, which she knows you favor.”

Xena grinned. “I have dinner plans already. Tell the cook no thanks.”

With a frown, Stanislaus gave up. He bowed. “Very well, Mistress.”  He executed a neat about face and headed for the outer door, tucking his hands inside the sleeves of his tunic. 

Xena waited for him to close the door. Then she turned to regard Alaran. “Well?”

The security chief folded his arms. “There are those who are very discontented, my liege, but they are but few in number, and afraid of your men.” He stated. “The revelry in the barracks last night was prodigious. The men are very pleased, and tell stories of your defeat of Bregos at every corner.”

“Good.” Xena relaxed. “I figured the fight put a cap on things. Keep an ear on those damn troublemaker supporters of Bregos, though. They’re too stupid not to want to try to keep stirring things up.”

Alaran nodded. “Tis possible, my liege. Though after last night’s supper, most of them are wearing high collared shirts.”

They both chuckled.  Xena flexed her hand. “Ah.. been a long time since I did that. Felt good.” She admitted. “It all felt good.”

“And was quite impressive, my lady, as we all remember it to be.” Alaran smiled at her. “It was good, very good for those who were not with you in the field to see that prowess. Many were surprised.”

“Mm.” Xena nodded. “Good to remind them all once in a while.” She shifted, and leaned on one chair arm. “Anything else?”

“You are well, my liege?” Alaran asked quietly. “I thought I saw the bastard get a hit in on you during the fight.”  He watched her closely, without seeming to.

“Never felt better.” Xena replied, in a soft drawl. “Gabrielle’s taken very… very good care of me.”  She stretched her arms up over her head and laced her fingers behind her skull. The pull hurt, but not anywhere near what it had just the day prior. A good night’s sleep, indeed.  “Keep your eyes open, Alaran. Something still doesn’t smell right to me.”

“As you wish, my liege.” Alaran murmured. “Though I think your actions truly did put a halt to the darker machinations.”

Xena’s pale eyes watched him like a hawk’s. “Oh. Well that’s good to hear.” She smiled. “Maybe now we can move on to more profitable ventures. Like expanding the eastern territories, and finding that mysterious kingdom who gifted me with that lovely box.”

Alaran smiled in return. “Just so, my liege. There are far better things for you to turn your attention to.”  He bowed low. “I leave you to your rest, then. The little one, she is also well? Many noted her presence with you the day.”

“Gabrielle is spectacular.” Xena told him. “And you can spread the word for me that seeing her in my presence is something everyone better get very, very used to.”

Alaran’s eyebrows hiked. “Indeed, majesty?”

“Indeed.” Xena replied.

The security chief rubbed the toe of his boot across the stone floor of the chamber, pursing his lips before he spoke. “Majesty, if I might be so bold.. one of the issues that brought on Brego’s feeble attempt at insurrection is the uncertainty the nobles feel about the continuity of your reign.”

“Too bad.” Xena said. “Tell them I’ll leave the throne to the nicest looking donkey in the pits if I want to. I won’t have them dictating my life, Alaran.”

“Mistress…”

“OUT!” Xena lost her temper with shocking suddenness. “Leave me!”

Holding both hands up, Alaran backed off. “As you will, Mistress.”  He backed all the way to the door and left the room, never taking his eyes off the glaring woman in the chair by the window.

Xena sat there until the flush of anger faded. Her hands twitched on the arms to her chair, and she closed her eyes, trying to rid herself of the roil of emotion Alaran’s protestation raised.

The inside door slowly opened, and Gabrielle’s blond head appeared around the edge of it.

Xena stood up and straightened her robe, then stepped down from her chair and walked to the inner door. “So much for that.”

“You know something?” Gabrielle opened the door for her and stood back so she could enter. “I don’t think I like those guys.”  She told Xena. “I just don’t.”

Xena put an arm around her and pulled her close, delighted when that nice feeling happened again. “They have their uses, Gabrielle.” She told the girl. “Don’t’ worry about them. Now. Where were we? I think I told you to lose the clothes, didn’t I?”

Sleet rattled the panes of the window, and they both looked at it. Xena dismissed the irritation she’d felt moments before and concentrated on Gabrielle’s close presence.  Alaran was an old worry wart, and had been for years. The nobles may grumble, but Xena knew when it came right down to it, they wouldn’t have the guts to challenge her.

Didn’t what happened with Bregos prove that?  Who cared what they wanted?

“C’mere.” Xena bent her head and kissed Gabrielle’s lips, tasting the cider on them.  She had what she wanted, right here.

To Hades with all of them.

**

Shadows of the Soul

Part 11

Xena paused as she got to the entrance of her audience chamber and straightened her sleeve before she continued into the room. It was fairly full, but her sensitive ears heard conversations cut off in mid word as her presence became known.  She watched the faces turn to her, watched the depth of the bows, and a tingle of warning ignited in her guts. Giving the crowd a graceful nod, she proceeded into the smaller, private chamber behind it to get her security briefing she knew would be waiting for her.

Sure enough, Alaran was there already, gazing out the window with a frown on his face.  He turned as Xena entered and bowed, then straightened as the queen approached. “Mistress.”

Xena gave him a nod, and then took her seat, lacing her fingers together and lifting her eyebrows. “Well?”

Alaran pursed his lips. “Mistress, I hardly know how to tell you this.”

“Well.” The queen tapped her thumbs. “You can either open your mouth and start talking, or I can skin you and make you scream the news. Pick.” She decided to smile, indicating that she wasn’t really serious.

Her security chief didn’t seem reassured. “Mistress, there has been… many of the soldiers have gone.”

Last thing on earth she’d expected to hear. “What?” Xena leaned forward slightly.

“Brego’s men, my liege.” Alaran said. “Yesterday… during the storm. They snuck out of the city.”

Xena stood up suddenly, startling a flinch from her security chief. She paced over to him, resisting the urge to grab him by the front of his tunic. “Are you telling me half the army defected?” She spoke softly, but even she could hear the edge in her tone. Alaran surely could, and his skin paled visibly. “Half of *my* army?”

Alaran swallowed. “They... did not view themselves as your men, Mistress.” He told her, lifting his head bravely. “They looked to Bregos as their leader, and… “

“And?” Xena said.

“Did not wish to serve under you.” Alaran finished quietly. “They escaped out through the kitchens.”

Xena turned and walked to the window, putting her hands on either side of it in what she considered a very admirable show of restraint. “So they had help.” She remarked. “Everyone was in on it, eh?”

“Not everyone, Mistress.” Alaran said. “It was discovered by one of your men, before dawn, and he came for me.”

Xena’s pale blue eyes regarded the sunlight. “And you waited to tell me.”

Alaran remained silent. Xena turned and looked at him.  “Mistress, you did say…” He started to speak.

Xena crossed the distance between them in the blink of an eye. She grabbed him and lifted him up, letting her temper loose at last. “You stupid bastard.”  She snarled, whirling and slamming him against the wall. “You’re not worth the cloth on your back.”

His nostrils flared. “Mistress.”

“How much did they pay you off, Alaran? Offer you a homestead?” Xena held him in place with little effort. “What’d they buy you with? Cow shit? That’s what you’re worth.” She half turned and threw him to the ground.

“No! Mistress!” Alaran held a hand over his head, protecting it as she pounced. “You wrong me!”

Xena kicked him with all her strength, hearing the crunch as he hit the wall. She caught him as he rebounded and lifted him up again, catching him around the throat with both hands. “Wrong you?” She squeezed. “You’re responsible for my security. You let half the army defect, and allowed insurrection in the slaves’ quarters. Wrong you?”

He gagged, and tried to breathe.

“I’ve gotten more good information from my chambermaid in the last half moon than I have from you. Why is that?” Xena asked acidly.

“M…”

Blood was pouring from his nose.  “You let me almost get assassinated, twice in that period. And you say I wrong you?” Xena’s voice dropped to a harsh whisper.

Alaran closed his eyes, and bowed his head, accepting what he knew was coming.

Xena released him, and let him drop to the floor.  She knelt next to him and grabbed him by the hair, forcing his head back. She gazed dispassionately into his eyes, bloodshot and frightened, hopelessness shining from them.  “Now.” She said. “Tell me the truth.”

**

Gabrielle crossed the huge lower hallway, pausing for just a moment to appreciate its grandeur again as she headed for the stronghold’s archives. Xena had told her to go there, to begin her listening.

Xena. Gabrielle found herself smiling at the name, as she turned down the first corridor, counting the doors to the fifth one. It had been so amazing waking up in the morning with her, and feeling the gentleness in her touch.

Amazing. Gabrielle pushed the door open and peered inside. The smell of parchment hit her, and she suppressed a sneeze as she entered the room and looked around. Near the windows were a row of wooden copy desks, and their occupants looked up as she came in, watching her curiously. “Hello.”

The one nearest the door got up and came over. He had on a sturdy work tunic, stained with ink, and he carried one quill with another tucked behind an ear.  “G’day m’lady.” He greeted her. “Something I can do for you, or for her Majesty?”

Gabrielle straightened a little inside her black and gold livery. “Matter of fact, yes. Her majesty would like the tax records for the last harvest season, please.”  She said. “Thank you.”

The man smiled and gave her a half bow, then turned and started rummaging through the shelving. Each shelf held rolls of parchment, and he took one, and then another, examining its contents carefully.  Gabrielle left him to search, as she walked through the room.

Some of the shelves had hand lettered labels, scraps of parchment stuck to the edges, or bits of wood with more permanent markings nailed to them with half spikes.  Records of the surrounding lands, mostly, she saw listings of properties, and marriage rolls… Curiously, Gabrielle took hold of one of them and opened it, scanning the names in many hands written inside.

She had been one of the very few in her village who could read and write. The only reason her father had allowed her to learn from the old reeve was because he’d hoped to push her into being the village teacher, once the old woman who’d served as that for many years finally passed on. It was a relatively good position, and her father had figured it would make her worth more in marriage.

Learning to read had been like opening the door to the world to her, after she’d scraped together quarter dinars for almost a year and purchased a tattered old scroll at market which held a precious thing inside.

A story.  A story of a place far away, and of people who didn’t live in her village, or think like her, or act like the people all around her acted.

Gabrielle remembered how she’d daydreamed about that story, and how it had ignited her imagination into thinking of different ways for the story to end, or different things for the people in it to do, or…  It had triggered her first halting attempts at making her own tales up and given her a small golden bright spot in an otherwise pretty bland life.

She put the scroll back and wandered on, towards the back of the room where the shelves were dustier and the parchment older. Near the last of the cubbies she found a stack of very tattered scraps, and she picked one up, examining it curiously.

A sketch looked back at her, of a small village seen from a hillside above it. It was done in some kind of ink, the lines faded into almost obscurity in places. The rolling land it nestled in seemed vaguely familiar to her, but she knew the outline of the huts and of the streets was of some place she’d never been.

She turned it over, and saw a few letters on the back, and she leaned closer, turning the parchment towards the window to see better.  ‘Amph’.  She mouthed the word softly, wondering if it could possibly be short for Amphipolis, where Xena had said she was from.

“Wonder if she even knows this is here?” Gabrielle murmured to herself, tucking parchment under her arm as she leafed through a few of the others. She stopped when she came to one, blinking in true startlement as she recognized a crude sketching of Xena herself, a wilder, younger visage than the one she’d woken up to, under lettering offering a thousand dinars for her capture.

Wanted.  Gabrielle stared at the words in fascination.  Murdering Warlord. 

Soberly, she tucked that parchment under her arm too, marveling at the incredible paradox the queen was. She turned and wandered back over to the desks, where her friend the scribe was assembling a neat stack of sheets, binding them together with a bit of gut.  He turned and presented them to her, with another little bow.

“M’lady, as you requested.”

“Thanks.” Gabrielle took them. “What’s your name?”

The scribe looked a little surprised at the question. “Dirk, m’lady.”

Gabrielle took his hand in hers. “Hi, Dirk. I’m Gabrielle.” She said. “It’s nice to meet you.”

If an asp had started dancing on her shoulder, she doubted he could have looked more surprised. He gingerly clasped her hand, and ducked his head. “My honor, m’lady. We have heard your name.”

I just bet. Gabrielle found herself wryly grinning.  “Thanks.” She freed herself from his grip and gave his brother scribes a smile, and then she turned and left the records room, resolving to return at her soonest free time to do a more thorough exploration of its secrets.

The hallway was busier now, and she found herself the covert center of attention as she walked across the open space, heading for the queen’s audience chamber with her records. One of the dukes, one she recognized as more or less friendly to Xena, approached her.

It was amazing; she marveled silently, how accurately Xena knew these people. She paused as the man came up to her and looked inquisitively at him. “Sir?”

“Good morning to you, young mistress.” The Duke gave her a fairly courtly bow. “I am Duke Lastay, and have the honor to be in the queen’s service.”

“Yes, sir, I remember you from the festival.” Gabrielle responded. “Can I do something for you?”

“Not at all... it is I who wish to do something for you. May I carry your burden? I take it you go to the queen’s side?” Lastay offered. “She has heard the terrible news, and must be in a dark temper.”

Gabrielle’s ears perked up. She almost asked him what he was talking about, but paused, thinking better of it, and handed him over the records instead. “Thank you, sir, yes I was headed there.” She told him gravely, joining him as he started to walk towards the audience chamber. “Have you heard further details?”

Lastay shook his head, pursing his lip in concern. “Only what we all know, young mistress. I fear that more evil is afoot for our queen, for why else should half the army choose to leave us? For no good reason, of that I’m sure.”

Half the army?????  Gabrielle felt her eyes widen.  Surely it wasn’t….  No, she’d seen Brendan from afar as she’d walked from the tower.  So, not Xena’s favorites... not the one’s she’d rewarded so well just two days prior. The only other possibility stared her in the face. “Sore losers, maybe?” She suggested softly.

Lastay sighed, and shook his head. “More than that, I fear. Our queen has made many uneasy. Her reign… ah well.”

“Well, I thought she showed how strong that was the other day.” Gabrielle said.

“Ah, but in doing so, she showed again how solitary her crown is, with no heir. What if the worst had happened?” Lastay asked cannily.  “Our culture is built on continuity. With her gracious majesty, that is difficult to ascertain.”

Gabrielle pondered that. “Well.” She shrugged a little. “I mean, Xena’s the queen because she’s the strongest. Even if she had a baby, that baby wouldn’t be strongest, and how long would it last with everyone trying to kill everyone else?”  She looked up at Lastay, whose mouth had dropped open slightly. “Someone would just take over, because they were the strongest. So maybe the queen feels like, what’s the point?” 

They approached the doors to the outer chamber, and the guards on either side moved to open them so they could pass inside. Lastay was silent as they entered, drawing the eyes of all those standing around waiting in various poses of alarm.  “What’s going on?” The Duke asked sharply.

A loud crash answered him, from the inner chambers.

Everyone looked at him, then at Gabrielle.  With a queasy feeling, Gabrielle took the records from Lastay’s hands and walked towards the door.

The day was not looking up.

**

Xena looked up as the door opened. She held Alaran’s broken body in her hands, and as her eyes took in Gabrielle’s expression, she released him and let him fall lifelessly to the floor.

The pool of blood from her dagger spread sluggishly at her feet and for a long moment, she simply stood there and stared at the frozen in place Gabrielle. Then Xena went back to her seat and sat in it, letting her crimson stained hands rest on her knees.

Gabrielle slowly pushed the door closed and leaned against it, feeling a sense of utter horror at the dead body. She hadn’t liked Alaran, but seeing his open, glazed eyes made her want to sit down and just throw up.  She tore her gaze from him and looked at Xena instead, seeing a look of weary pain there that drew her across the room to the queen’s side.

Xena didn’t lift her head or look at her. She stared at the security chief’s body and exhaled. “Like I said.” She finally muttered. “Whenever I trust anyone, I lose.”

Hesitantly, Gabrielle put a hand on her shoulder. “Xena.”

“Everyone has a price, Gabrielle.” Xena said, in a remote voice. “His was a hold of his own, to be master of.” She paused. “He never asked me. Never said anything.” Her tone now took on a hint of exhausted plaint. “He just sold me out.”

Gabrielle felt the shoulder under her fingers slump. “Oh. Wow.” She murmured. “I didn’t think he…” But it wasn’t true, and so she stopped speaking rather than continue the lie. She hadn’t liked Alaran from the start, and she’d always felt he wasn’t as loyal to Xena as he’d acted. “How long have you known…” Her glance fell to the body, and she swallowed. “Did you know him?”

Xena studied the slumped form, and then she unexpectedly kicked it. “Too long.”

Gabrielle shivered in reflex, and drew away a little.

“Bastard.” The queen uttered. “They bought you with a couple of cows and a hut. Scum.”

Gabrielle sighed unhappily. “Maybe he just wanted a place that he could call his.”

Xena’s pale eyes narrowed. “Why didn’t he just ask?” She growled. “The gods knew he dared in every other respect.” She kicked the body again, making its hand flap against the stone with a sodden, ugly sound.

She couldn’t look anymore. Gabrielle turned and rested her head against the chair’s wood. “Maybe he was afraid to.” She said, in a quiet voice.

There was a period of silence, where the only sound was their breathing.

“Yeah.”  Xena finally uttered, with a curious, restless motion. The queen turned her head and peered at Gabrielle. “So, what’s your price, Gabrielle? When do I lose with you?”

Gabrielle found herself captured in those eyes, seeing the stark pain in them. “I don’t have a price.” She blurted, in reflex. “I wouldn’t…”

“Sure you do.” Xena got up abruptly and moved away from her, over to the stately, tall windows.  “Everyone does, my friend, everyone does.”

Do they? The blond woman leaned against the chair arm, and thought about it. What would make her turn against Xena? What was her price?  What could they give her that would make her want to leave the queen? Or hurt her? Gabrielle looked over at the window, watching Xena lean her head against the sill in an attitude of silent dejection that tugged at her heartstrings until they fairly hummed. 

Unable to resist the pull, Gabrielle got up and walked over to where Xena was standing, pressing her body against the wall so she could see Xena’s face. “I’m sorry.”

The blue eyes moved to her, sad and remote. “Are you?” The queen asked. “Why?”

Gabrielle rubbed her thumb over the stone. “Because…” She cleared her throat of a sudden huskiness.  “Um… because there’s nothing I can say… no promise I can make to you that really means anything. It’s just words.”

Xena exhaled softly.

“My words.” Gabrielle went on. “And what are the words of a slave worth? Or a peasant shepherd?”   She sat down on the window sill, her back to the panes. “I should be easy to buy off. I don’t have anything.” 

Xena was looking at her, Gabrielle could feel it. She kept her eyes on the ground; however, not daring to see what was in the queen’s expression. “So… I don’t know what my price is, Xena.” She finished in a whisper. “But I know I would rather die than betray you.”

Now, at last, she lifted her head and met Xena’s eyes. “So… if you know what my price is, then please don’t ever let me find out.”

The queen stared at her for brief moment, then she turned and sat down next to Gabrielle on the sill. They sat there together in silence, then Xena leaned her elbows on her knees and flexed her blood covered hands. She uttered a tiny snort of laughter. “Who in Hades am I to judge that?”

Gabrielle got up and carefully skirted Alaran’s body as she went to the ornate sidebar, where a basin and pitcher rested. She picked them up, circling the bowl carefully with one arm and brought them back over. She settled at Xena’s feet, kneeling before her and pouring the pitcher’s contents into the bowl.

Then she lifted the bowl up and set it on the small stool next to the window.  She picked up a cloth lying near the stool and dipped it into the water, wringing it out and taking Xena’s right hand in hers.

The long fingers twitched under her touch, but Xena didn’t pull back. Gabrielle started washing the slightly chilled skin.

“What are you doing?” Xena asked, softly.

Gabrielle looked up. “Washing the blood off your hands.”

Unexpectedly, the queen laughed, with a dry, bitter edge.  She yanked her hand free and got up, stalking away from Gabrielle and taking hold of Alaran’s body with both hands. She pulled him up and threw him over her shoulder, then went to the door to the outer chamber and opened it. 

“Here.” Xena tossed the body off her shoulder and onto the floor into their midst. “If you skin him, he’ll make one of you a nice rug.”  She let her glare touch each of the shocked nobles.  “Make it a matched set when I find his patrons.”  

Turning on her heel she reentered the inner chamber and slammed the door so loudly the wall sconces rattled, and a cup jumped off the credenza and rolled across the floor. She stopped in mid step as she spotted Gabrielle crouched on the stone, washing it with the cloth in an attitude of intense concentration. “What are you doing?”

The slave looked at the reddened surface, then up at her briefly. “Cleaning this.”

“I didn’t ask you to clean that.” Xena snapped. “Get up!”

Gabrielle hesitated, then she stood up, carrying the basin with her and backing away from Xena as she approached.  She put the water down on the table and stood next to it, watching the queen as she came closer.

Gabrielle felt her heart rate increase.  She pressed herself against the wall, very aware of being trapped. Her waking with the queen now seemed very far off, and very long ago, and for a brief moment she wondered if it all hadn’t been a very, very, very bad mistake for both of them.

Xena stopped a bare arm’s length from her, flexing her hands and glaring. “Are you afraid of me?”

“Yes.” Gabrielle admitted.

“Why?”

Why? Gabrielle felt fear and anger battling each other inside her. What was this woman asking? Did she even know what she was saying... or care? “Because you kill people really easily, and you just mentioned I might be a threat to you.” She managed to get out. “Shouldn’t I be scared? What else do you think I’d be? Isn’t that what you want, people to be scared of you?”

Xena looked at her. “Yes.” She said. “That’s exactly what I want. I want everyone to be afraid of me.” She put her blood stained hands on either side of Gabrielle’s head and stared into her eyes.

Cornered, Gabrielle could only stand there. Her anger evaporated, replaced not by fear, but by a deep sadness. She felt her eyes fill with tears, but she tried to keep from blinking, and spilling them.

“What are you thinking, Gabrielle?” Xena asked, abruptly.

Gabrielle took a breath, but didn’t speak, knowing it would betray her emotions.

“Gabrielle?” The queens’ voice dropped dangerously.  “I asked you a question.”

The slave swallowed, and softly cleared her throat. “I was... t...thinking that… um… falling in love isn’t always a good thing.”  She replied honestly. “Right now I’m wishing I hadn’t.”

There was utter silence in the room for a long string of heartbeats. Gabrielle finally lifted her eyes to her tormentor’s, finding an unexpected sadness that rivaled her own.

“Truly?” Xena asked.

Gabrielle nodded.

“Because I did that?” The queen pointed at the floor.

Gabrielle shook her head. “Because you want me to be afraid of you.” She whispered. “And that hurts.” 

Xena’s gaze went internal for a bit. Then she pushed off the wall and went back to her chair, slumping into it and letting her head rest against her hand. “Then get out of here.”  She told Gabrielle. “Because that’s just the way it has to be.”

Gabrielle looked at the door, knowing she had only to go through it and she would be free of the danger of this room. She eased away from the wall and started walking, but found herself at Xena’s side instead of across the hall heading for safety.

“I said, get out.” Xena repeated.

Now, she was close enough to see the trembling of Xena’s fingers as they rested against her forehead. “Xena?”

“What?” The queen snapped.

Gabrielle knelt at her side, leaning on the chair arm and catching sight of her eyes.

“I said, GET OUT!” Xena bellowed, her free hand swiping hastily across her face. “NOW!”

But the tears had told Gabrielle all she needed to know, and the fear flowed out of her as easily as her breathing. Carefully, she put a hand on Xena’s knee, knowing she was risking dire injury, and not really caring.

Xena shifted, and grabbed her, a hand on both shoulders.

Gabrielle fought down the panic and caught the queen around both biceps with her hands, staring her right in the eye.

They rode in the balance, at the edge of violence for just long enough.

“I’m sorry.” Gabrielle whispered, loving her in spite of everything. “I’m sorry I said that.”  She released one hand and gently touched Xena’s face, removing the last trace of a tear. “Please don’t make me leave. I want to be with you.”

There was absolutely no reaction, and then Xena blinked. She released Gabrielle’s shoulders, and let her hands drop down to the slave’s waist, gazing down at her with a weary, perplexed expression. “Why?” She asked, with a tiny shake of her head.

Very good question. There were really only two honest answers to that, and admitting to insanity didn’t really seem to be a very good idea at the moment. “Because I love you.” She gave up the second. “I know you probably don’t want to hear that, though.”

Surprisingly, the words seemed to relax the queen. Her body shifted, and exhaled. Her head slowly lowered, until her forehead rested against Gabrielle’s. “What makes you say that? You think I’d rather have you tell me you hated me?”

Gabrielle relaxed a little too. “No.”  

Xena sighed. “Maybe I would.” She muttered. “At least then I wouldn’t have to worry about you turning on me.”

Gabrielle slowly released her held breath. “Xena…”

“Yeah, I know.” The queen cut her off. “I know.” Slowly, she put her arms around Gabrielle and pulled her close. “You trust me not to cut your head off, least I can do is trust you not to sell me down the river.”  She stared over Gabrielle’s shoulder, at her own rust stained hands. “Limited options, my friend. Limited options.”

The slave took a deep breath. “So… what comes next?”

Xena rested her chin against Gabrielle’s soft hair. “I don’t know, Gabrielle.” She admitted softly. “I just don’t know.”

Gabrielle hugged her, having nothing else to add to that.

The queen grunted softly.  “Hey. Got any water?”  She pulled her head back and eyed the blond woman. “I’ve got sticky fingers.”

“I think I can fix that.” Gabrielle managed a smile. “C’mon.”

They walked together to the sideboard. Xena put her hands in the water, and watched as Gabrielle washed them.

**

Gabrielle had removed the basin of water, and was sitting on a small stool near the edge of Xena's dais just watching the queen think.  The woman sitting on the throne had been pondering in silence for quite a while, her pale blue eyes roving restlessly over the room in an otherwise still face.

Whatever she was thinking, it apparently wasn't very pleasant, if the dour glare was any indication.

Gabrielle felt sort of useless. She knew Xena was trying to figure out what to do, and she also knew she had very little experience or knowledge to help her do that. However, just sitting there wasn't doing anything either, and Xena hadn't said she couldn't try to help so...

With a tiny sigh, she stood up and climbed the steps to the top of the dais, settling cross-legged at Xena's feet.

Almost immediately, Xena shifted and reached over, tugging her ear. “Hey."

Gabrielle was glad of the acknowledgement. She looked up at the queen. "Things are really mixed up, aren't they?"

Xena nodded gravely. "Yes, they are." She stroked Gabrielle's hair idly, sorting amongst its pale locks with her fingers. "So, what would you do to straighten it out, hmm? Have a lamb chop party?"

Gabrielle leaned her elbows on her knees and rested her chin on her fists. "Um... no, I don't think so." She said. "It seems to me like everyone is really mad about something, but I can't figure out what it is."

Xena eyed her in wry bemusement. "Uh huh."

"I mean..." The slave wriggled a little closer. "It's not like stuff is awful here. Everyone seems pretty okay, I mean other than the slaves, and it's all really nice and all fruitful and all that."

"Uh huh." The queen nodded again. "You're right about that. The harvest this year doubled last year, and everyone's been able to make good money on the surplus."

Gabrielle nibbled the inside of her lip. "Well, okay... so..." Her brow creased. "Then... what's the problem?" She looked up. "Why is everyone so angry? If everything is so good?"

Xena gazed across the room at the huge, almost life-sized portrait of her, dripping in jewels and silk that graced the wall.  "Why?" She mused. "Because they hate me, Gabrielle."

"Hate you?"

The queen nodded. "I came in here and deposed one of them." She remarked. "The guy I took the throne from had been king for a score of years, and his family'd been in charge since Zeus was in diapers." Xena leaned on the chair arm. "And here I was a peasant brat with a ragtag army who swept across the land and took it all away from them."

"Oh."

"They hate me. Even if I was Aphrodite incarnate, and rode over the land giving nut pastries to babies they'd hate me, and there's not a damn thing I can do to change that." Xena concluded. "Doesn't matter that I'm a better ruler than old what's his face ever was, and they've got more to show for me sitting on this pain in the literal ass chair."

Gabrielle absorbed all that. "That's kind of stupid." She admitted.

"Yeah." Xena rested her head on her hand.

"Can't you make a deal with them?"

The queen was silent for a bit. "Not any kind of deal I'd ever agree to. That's where Bregos came in. They were trying to force him on me as a mate."

"Ew."

A faint smile appeared on Xena's face. "Ah, you're developing a discriminating taste, are you?"

"I picked you, didn't I?" Gabrielle dared a small joke, despite the gravity of the moment.  "Even if you had agreed to marry Bregos... that doesn't really get them what they wanted, does it? You'd still have been in charge."

"Mm." Xena half shrugged. "I think they figured if I got married and settled down... had a few kids, maybe I'd get docile enough for them to control. For Bregos to control."

Gabrielle looked at her. "Do you think that's true?"

Xena took a long time to answer.  "I don't know." She tugged on Gabrielle's ear again. "What do you think?"

Her slave pondered the question. "I don't think so." She said. "I think you... once, when I was little, there was a wolf that was attacking the sheep near our village."

"Gabrielle, you just changed direction so fast your breasts are hanging over your shoulder."

"Heh heh." Gabrielle chuckled a little. "No, seriously... the men in the village banded together, with all the dogs, and they went after the wolf." She wrapped her arms around her knees. "After a long time, they cornered it, and they went in to kill it, because it had killed some of the sheep."

"Reasonable." Xena commented.

"They thought so too." Gabrielle agreed. "But when they went after it, the wolf fought them so fiercely, they had to run away."

Xena snorted.

"I stayed."

"Did you?" The queen smothered a chuckle.

"I wanted to see if it was okay or not." Gabrielle admitted. "So I hid behind a bush, downwind of the hole the wolf had run into, and I waited, and I watched..."

"Mm?" Xena leaned forward, intrigued.

"And after a while, the wolf came out, and with her came three little babies."

"Babies?" Xena's eyebrows shot up. "I heard an old Roman tale about that."

"Wolf babies." The slave explained. "Puppies, or cubs, or whatever they call them."  She looked up at Xena. "The wolf was their mother, and she wouldn't let anyone hurt them, and she was willing to risk her life stealing the sheep so they would have enough to eat and not die."

"Mm."

"So I think you'd be like that." Gabrielle concluded. "I think you would be fierce, and not let anyone hurt your baby or mess with you."

Xena sat back, with a thoughtful look. "I think you may be right." She said. "But we'll never find out because I'm not planning on spawning." 

"Oh."  The slave said. "Well, that's too bad, because I bet you'd have really cute babies."

The queen snorted eloquently. "No, you'd have really cute babies." She poked Gabrielle. "I'd have gangly terrors who'd probably tear the stronghold down. Now. Let's stop talking about breeding and figure out what we're going to do next."

"Okay." Gabrielle said. "What was Bregos offering all those guys, anyway? Besides a guy in charge?"

Ah. Good question.  Xena cocked her head to one side. "Security." She finally decided. "These damned pansy assed silk britched nitwits are scared to death of change. Bregos offered them a chance for a long term plan."

"Oh. So why don't you do that?"

"Because I don't have a male piece the size of a shelled peanut to promise them an heir with." Xena's face twitched into a half snarl. "And I'll be damned if I'll take one of them to my bed just to give them warm and fuzzies."

Gabrielle reflected on the fact that she wouldn't much like that either. Though she'd only shared Xena's pillow for a very short time, she found herself resenting any suggestion that she might have to share it, especially with any of the nobles she'd met so far.  "Ick."

"Mm."

"But couldn't you make some kind of deal, with some of them? Just to get them on your side?" Gabrielle asked. "I know you said you could... I mean, force them to, but..."

"You're not going to give me that honey and vinegar speech, are you?"

"Huh?" Gabrielle frowned. "What does that have to do with making a deal?"

Xena got up and started pacing. "I don't want to make a deal, Gabrielle. I want to bring in all of them, and just relieve my frustration by cutting their throats."  She said. "They won't ever keep a bargain with me, so what's the point?"

"Did you ever try it?"

"Gaaabrrieeelle...."

The slave got up and joined her queen in pacing. "Well, did you? Would it be so bad to give it one try?"

Xena turned and gave her an exasperated look. "Yes." She snapped. "It would hurt my image, because everyone knows I don't MAKE deals."

They both paced back and forth. "Well." Gabrielle tried another tack. "Is your image working now?"

Xena sighed. "Gabrielle, look." She stopped and faced the slave. After a moment's silence, she frowned. "Maybe I could talk to Lastay. He's not that bad."

Gabrielle smiled.

"In fact..." Xena put her hands on her hips. "I think I've got something he might just be willing to jump off his fence for."  She said. "Go out there, and send him inside. Then I want you to go down to the barracks, and find Brendan. Tell him I'm not holding him responsible for Bregos' men. I want to see him as soon as possible, all right?"

"Right." Gabrielle said.  She turned and headed for the door, carefully skirting the blood stain on the floor. She turned as she started to leave, and met Xena's eyes. "I'm sure this'll work out, Xena. You'll see."

Xena watched her disappear, as a mildly sardonic smile appeared on her face. "I doubt it, my little innocent friend... but what the Hades. I'll give it a try. At least it'll postpone the bloodbath." 

She returned to her seat, strolling across the blood stained stone and picking up the wine cup she'd been sipping from. She settled into the chair and took a swallow, running over what she planned to say in her head.

Lastay was, as she'd said, all right. He came from a family who had gained their lands when she'd deposed their former king. Because of that, he wasn't really part of the old boy network in the kingdom, nor was he predisposed to prefer the impotent whiner she'd butchered to her.

He was also pretty smart. Xena grudgingly found herself halfway liking him. No sense in letting him know that, though. She fixed the door with a baleful glare as it opened, and watched Lastay flinch as it hit him. "Get in here." She growled. "We need to talk."

He closed the door, and straightened his shoulders. "Yes, Mistress."  He cleared his throat. "I am, as always, at your disposal."

Xena chuckled. "Thanks. But I promised Gabrielle I'd try talking before I disposed of you, so c'mere before I get up and drag you over here by your tonsils."

Lastay issued a wan smile, and marched forward, as though to his doom.

**

Gabrielle trotted down the main steps, feeling pretty good about having gotten Xena to at least think about talking through her problem.  She knew things were very serious, but in her heart of hearts, she also believed that just going out and killing everyone really wasn't the answer.

There had to be a better way.

She reached the ground floor and walked across the hall to the long corridor that lead into the yards, finding it hard to believe that she'd gone that way to watch Xena save a fellow slave just so few days prior.  So much had changed.

She had changed. Gabrielle twitched her over tunic straight, and worked the latch on the door, pushing it open and going outside. It was cold, but sunny, and she took a breath of the clean air as she headed towards the barracks.

It was quiet in the yards today, and as she looked to the right, where the barracks she'd visited the last time with Xena was, she saw the doors and wooden shutters wide open, its deserted appearance very evident.  Frowning,

Gabrielle turned to the left and headed for the other barracks, this one visibly better kept and just as evidently occupied.

The door opened as she reached it, and she stepped back as a tall, blond soldier left the building. He stopped as he spotted her and hesitated. "M'lady."

Gabrielle smiled at him. "Just Gabrielle." She said. "I'm looking for Brendan... is he inside?"

The tall man studied her for a moment, and then he opened the door and held it for her. "He is, m'lady. Do you come from the queen?"

"Yes."  Gabrielle watched his face carefully.

His gentle smile reassured her. "Then you are doubly welcome. Come inside." He followed her. "Brendan? Front and Center, sir. The queen would have you."

Gabrielle stepped inside, and stopped. This barracks was very different than the other one had been.

Very different.

**

“Siddown.” Xena indicated the low stool Gabrielle had used.  She watched Lastay from under hooded eyelids as he settled next to her, his gaze lifting to hers with a wary, though surprisingly open expression. “I’m not a happy woman.”

“Mistress, I did not expect you to be.” Lastay replied quietly. “The extent of the good general’s treachery is now laid open to you.”

Xena regarded him. “Did you know?” She asked casually, as he folded his hands together in front of him. They were shaking, she noted.

He paused before he answered, and his feet shifted. “Yes, Mistress, I did.”

The queen was surprised. Not that the duke had known, but that he’d admitted it, knowing her temper. It raised him up in her estimation, though she suspected he didn’t know that. “Ah.” She murmured. “Should I kill you now?”

Lastay lifted his head. “You can do that, Mistress.” He said. “But of all those who profess to kneel to you, I am the least of your enemies.” 

“Mm….yeah.” Xena had to agree. “Well, except for my little Gabrielle, of course.” She added. “So what should I do with you, Lastay? I’ve given you lands… beasts… slaves… the castle steward favors your grain when he buys… and you turn against me.”

The Duke sighed. “No, Mistress.” He shook his head. “What you say is true…you have been more than generous. I said that I knew what was afoot... not that I agreed with it. I stood to lose all, if Bregos won out.”

Xena got up, and circled him. “So you say.”  She uttered softly.  “But why should I believe you, Lastay?”

He was sweating, even in the chill of the chamber. “Mistress, I have never lied to you.”

She stopped directly behind him. “So you say.”   Her hand appeared lazily, the bright blade of her dagger moving as she twirled it lightly between her fingers.  She watched his back shift, as he started breathing heavier, and she could almost smell the fear rising up off his body.

Ick.  “But I don’t really know if that’s true or not…. Now do I?” Xena said, drawing the edge of her blade across the back of his neck.  The nape hairs rose after her, and she could see the beads of sweat forming at his hairline.

“No, Mistress.” He whispered.

The point of her dagger came to rest on the very center of his spine, in a small depression just at the base of his skull where one simple push would penetrate and kill him.  Xena studied the small interlace of dark hair that traveled down the centerline of his neck and imagined what it would look like doused in blood.

“Lastay.” Xena said. “I am not going to run into the night like a whipped cur.”

He didn’t answer.

“I am the ruler of this land, and I intend to keep it that way, whatever I have to do and that includes slaughtering every single one of you and putting cart drovers into your places.”

“Aye, Mistress.” Lastay said. “That is known to me.”

Xena leaned on the dagger, just a little. “What is it they want, Lastay?” She asked. “Besides someone else on the throne?”

The duke swallowed audibly. He rubbed his thumbs together, his body tensing as he resisted the urge to move, or turn. “You… “He paused. “You gall them, Mistress.”

“Oo. Big surprise.” Xena chuckled.

Lastay did something unexpected. He straightened, pushing against the blade, which broke the skin before Xena could withdraw it. Then he turned his head and looked up at her. “Mistress, you despise us.”

Xena arched her neck and peered at him. “Yes, I do.”

“They why expect loyalty from us?”

Hm. Xena juggled the dagger in her hand and strolled across the room to the crystal wine decanter. She used the action of pouring herself another glass to give herself a chance to think about that. “I don’t.” She swirled the wine in her cup and sipped it. “You hate me, Lastay.”

His lashes fluttered closed, then slid up and he focused on her. “Not all of us, Mistress.”

“Ah ah... no lying.” Xena pointed the dagger at him.

“I am not.” Lastay stated. “Killing me won’t change that. But yes, Mistress, most do hate you.” He said. “You denigrate their manhood.”

Xena returned to her chair and sat down. “Ah yes. Xena the Merciless, royal neuterer of the land.” She rested the blade of her knife against her lower lip. “Lastay, I will never be the ruler they want.”

He let out a breath of relief. “No, Mistress. You won’t.”

The queen smiled at him. “But you might.” She said. “Wanna be my heir?”

Watching the duke’s face, Xena decided she could get used to a reaction other than fear. It was actually sort of pleasant.

Not that she’d admit that to Gabrielle, of course.

Not for a while, anyway.

**

Gabrielle let her eyes wander over the barracks. There was a… a wildness to it that was totally different than the Bregos mens’ quarters had been. On the walls were animal hides, and furs covered the cots instead of woolen blankets.

It smelled of muskiness, and steel, and leather. There was armor hung everywhere, on wooden pegs, well cared for though also well used.

On the back wall, a black banner was spread, with a golden hawk in the center. One side was tattered and burnt, but the care it was kept with was very evident.

Brendan appeared, and moved towards her. He was dressed in a pair of leather breeches and a woven green shirt, and he wiped his hands off on a cloth as he approached her. “G’day to you, m’lady.”

“Just Gabrielle.” Gabrielle corrected him, with a smile. “Her Majesty said for me to come get you.”

Rather than appearing afraid, Brendan looked pleased with the summons. “Let me just put a tunic on then, m...”

Gabrielle shook her finger at him. 

Brendan smiled. “All right, Gabrielle it is.”  He went to his space, in the front of the barracks, a place of obvious honor.  “Jeras, let’s get out t’the yard when I gets back, and work the kinks out.” He addressed the tall blond man. “Time we took this stronghold back for ours.”

“Aye, sir.” Jeras agreed briskly. “Would you ask her Majesty to...? “

“Come watch?” Brendan peered over his shoulder.

“Join us.” Jeras completed his statement. “We miss her in the drills.”

Gabrielle listened with interest, glad beyond reason to hear words directed at the queen that were not full of envy, or dislike.  “I think she misses you too.” She spoke up quietly.

The men all turned and looked at her.

“There aren’t many friends in that tower.”

Brendan straightened up and walked over to her, cocking his head to one side. “I’d say about one, matter’s of fact.” He told her. “But I don’t know as her Majesty would come to spend some time in the mud with us.” 

Gabrielle just grinned at him.

“Is it true about Alaran?” Jeras asked, suddenly.

It wiped the grin off her face. Gabrielle remembered the horror, and felt again the chill across the back of her neck.  She was aware of the men gathering around her curiously, and she took a breath before she lifted her eyes to meet Jeras’.  “Yes, it’s true.”

“Ah.” Brendan grunted. “That’s a stinger.”

Jeras snorted. “He was a two faced bastard and you know it, Bren. He finally showed his price this time.”

“Aye.” Brendan straightened his tunic, and gestured for Gabrielle to precede him. “T’wasn’t him I meant.” He followed Gabrielle to the door, and opened it, then walked with her outside into the cool, dry air.  “I know her majesty must be disappointed in us.”

Gabrielle glanced over at the empty barracks. “She said to say she doesn’t hold you responsible for that.”

“No.” Brendan sighed. “But I do.” He shook his head. “Stupid bastards. Don’t’ know a leader when one fell on them. Too tied up in their damned egos to think straight.”

“Where do you think they went?” Gabrielle asked.

“Out there.” Brendan shaded his eyes, and peered off towards the mountains. “Where I wish we were, sometimes.” He said. “No matter how warm the cots, or good the food.” 

“So…” Gabrielle gently probed him. “Why didn’t you go with them? If that’s what you really want?”

The old soldier gazed at her. “If she’d go, I’d follow.” He said. “So’s the lot of us.”

Gabrielle walked by his side in silence for a little while, as they approached the stone walls, and the heavy wooden door.  “Why?” She asked suddenly. “Everyone else here hates her.”

Brendan gently pulled her to a halt just outside the door. He leaned against the wall, and let his weathered hands fall against his thighs. “Why?” He considered. “She bled for us.” He regarded a scar on the back of his knuckles.  “She almost died for us.”

Somehow, that didn’t surprise Gabrielle at all.

“Some backwater hole… bunch of us stopped by there, not lookin for any trouble.” Brendan went on. “Just got us a meal, and some ale… paid for it, we did. But them folks recognized us from a bounty poster and figured to get them a haul so they snuck out and sold us to the guard.”

“Mm.” Gabrielle murmured.

“Thought we was dead men. Bounty didn’t care.” Brendan looked up into the sunlight. “Had us tied up and branded, half way to dying when Xena found us. She’d gone off to do some reccon, and come back to find us missing, and she got on her horse and she rode.

He took a deep breath. “As long as I live, I will remember her coming in there, just her against a legion of them.” He said. “She fought and she fought and she fought like a wild thing until they turned tail and just ran… and she then she cut us down.”

“Wow.”

“Wasn’t a part of her wasn’t cut or broke.” Brendan slowly shook his head. “But she done got us. Went back and burned that damn backwater to the ground for it, too.”

Gabrielle remembered being carried up a long flight of stone steps in the rain.

“Didn’t find out till long time later, the damn place was her home town.”

Oh. Gabrielle felt out of breath all of a sudden, as a bit of knowledge was trying valiantly to surface into her conscious mind, something she’d heard, something she….

“Anyway, that’s just since you asked, little one. Let’s not keep her Majesty waiting.” Brendan opened the door for her. “And, Gabrielle?”

Distracted, she looked up at him. “Yes?”

Brendan put a hand on her shoulder. “I’m damn glad she finally found someone who makes her laugh. Been too long for her.”

The bit of knowledge floated off, out of her reach. “Thanks.” Gabrielle smiled at him, and then ducked inside the door, with Brendan at her back.  “Sometimes things happen and you don’t understand why, but it ends up okay anyway.” She paused. “I love her.”

“And so do I.” Brendan put his hand on her back, and they walked towards the hall.

**

 “Mistress, I am dumbfounded.” Lastay finally murmured.

“Half right.” Xena leaned against the arm of her chair and crossed her ankles.

“Mistress?”

“Never mind.” The queen chuckled softly.  “Lastay, I don’t want to found a dynasty. I’m not looking to be called the queen mother, and I’ve got no intention of marrying some wealthy starched ass just to give this land the warm and fuzzies. You understand me?”

The duke’s entire attitude had shifted. He was no longer nervous, now his body language spoke of wary encouragement and definite interest.  “I think I do my liege.”

The outer door opened, and Gabrielle slipped inside. She paused when she saw them, and looked at Xena in question.

“C’mon in, hot stuff.” Xena waved her forward. “Got Brendan?”

Gabrielle opened the door and stepped aside to allow the old soldier to enter. They walked together to the dais. Gabrielle was glad to see the duke apparently unharmed, and she took her spot at Xena’s side, kneeling next to the chair as the queen resumed her discussion.

Hot stuff? The errant comment suddenly surfaced in her recall. 

“So, if I’m not going to lay a litter of puppies for the lot of you, it seems to me that I need to settle who’s going to be the unlucky bastard who gets this job when I get tired of it.” Xena stated.

Lastay laced his fingers together and leaned his chin against them, crouched down as he was on the low stool. “Me?”

Xena nodded.

Brendan chuckled, as he took up a position on the first step, one that had formerly been claimed by Alaran.

Lastay collected himself. “But… your majesty, we… I thought you had told the council… everyone has always imagined that you would…”

Xena turned her head and looked at Gabrielle. “What do you think, should I turn this place over to someone who can’t even finish a single sentence?”

“Mm.” Gabrielle was a little amazed herself, at Xena’s attitude. “I thought queens all did that dynasty thing.”

“Not this queen.” Xena shook her head. “I told you, no spawning.”

“But, Mistress, you had considered taking a consort!” Lastay objected. “Not that I am not honored beyond speech by your offer, but you naming an heir... had never been considered!”

“Yeah, well.” Xena continued examining Gabrielle’s face. “That was before I found someone I wanted to spend my time with.”

There was a period of awkward silence. Xena ignored it, and amused herself with tracing the line of Gabrielle’s blush up the arch of her neck to her cheek with an idle fingertip. “So there isn’t going to be any more talk about a consort, Lastay.  You want the job of being my heir, or not?”

The duke inhaled audibly. “Your majesty, it would be my greatest honor.”

“It would be your biggest pain in the ass, too.” Xena said. “Everyone’s going to want a piece of you.”

“Yes.” He murmured. “I realize that.”

“I’ll increase your land decrees, and give you a royal stipend.” The queen said, finally turning her head to look at him. “You want something, you ask. If I find out you’re dealing to unseat me, I’ll gut you. Understood?”

Lastay nodded. “Majesty, if you will let me, I will use their greed to build a true base of support for your reign. I do not wish that chair.” His eyes dropped to the bloodstain on the floor, then darted back to her face. “But more than that, I don’t want others to have it.”

Xena laughed. “Lastay, you know you could die for this. I had a set of jackasses take a pot shot at me just the other day.”

His head snapped up, his eyes widening in surprise. “Majesty?”

Was he lying? Pretending he didn’t know? Xena wondered. “C’mon, you must have heard about it. Bregos was counting on that to win our little fight.”

Lastay rose and paced across the floor, disturbed. “No… they seemed eager to take our bets but…” He made a small sound somewhere between a snort and a spit. “Bastards.”

Xena propped her head up on her fist and regarded him with some amusement.

“But you were not injured, my liege, so their plan came to nothing.” Lastay concluded.

Tell him? The queen wrestled with an unfamiliar strategy.  “Don’t sell my reputation for being the hardest ass in the kingdom short, my little dukelet.” She said. “I had a hole in my back you could have put your fist through.”

“No!”  Lastay looked at Gabrielle, for some reason. “It’s not true!”

Gabrielle nodded solemnly.

“Bregos?” The duke seemed astonished. “Insanity! They would never have let him take the crown so! He was…” Lastay paused, awkwardly.

“Yes?” Xena’s voice had dropped to a low, velvety rumble. She pinned Lastay with her eyes, all sense of humor vanished completely. “He was what, Lastay?”

Brendan shifted, sensing the change. He took an unconscious step closer to the queen’s seat.

The duke froze in place.

Gabrielle put her hand on the arm of Xena’s chair and leaned against it. “If there’s something you know, you should say what it is.” She spoke up quietly, and for the first time. Her voice sounded high, and odd in the large room, and it brought Xena’s head right around as the queen stared at her.

“You have to start trusting somewhere.” The slave continued, meeting the duke’s eyes. “And pick where you want to put your loyalty. You can’t have it both ways.”

Lastay remained silent, and then he sighed. “Aye, lass.” He returned to the low stool, and settled on it, sucking on his lower lip as he crossed his boots in front of him and rested his elbows on his thighs, a completely un-duke like posture that was almost juvenile in it’s casualness.

Xena leaned over and kissed Gabrielle on the lips. Then she returned her attention to the duke and waited, twiddling her thumbs in front of her. “Well?”

“Bregos was their paid stooge.” Lastay said. “A number of the big landowners got together and offered him the earth if he could bring you to bed, and said they’d back him.”  He picked at one of the laces on his leather boots. “Twasn’t to put him into your place.”  His head lifted, and he looked at Xena. “No matter how they hate, tis fear of you that keeps enemies outside our far pastures, my liege, and none of them is so stupid as to ignore that.”

“Even with Brego’s battle successes?” Xena asked, secretly quite pleased.

“Even so.” The duke said. “So to hear he put his hand against you, Mistress, shocks me.”

And Xena didn’t think he really had, so that meshed. Bregos would have gladly taken advantage of her injury, but she didn’t really think he had the guts or the ambition to go for the big prize. Though it would be convenient for her to believe otherwise – that would wrap up her little mystery neatly – she knew there were pieces to this puzzle that she still didn’t have in her hands.

“Why didn’t you just tell me about this, Lastay? Instead of hinting around it like a spinster knitting in the corner?” Xena asked. “What was in it for you?”

Lastay studied the ground for a long moment. “They were holding my wife, Mistress.” He admitted.

Now it was Xena’s turn to be shocked. “What?”  She got up and walked over to him, grabbing him by the scruff of the neck and hauling him to his feet. “You idiot!!! Why in Hades didn’t you say something?” She bellowed at the top of her voice, shaking the glasses on the sideboard.

Gabrielle scrambled up and trotted over, with Brendan at her heels. She put a hand on Xena’s back and peered at the duke. “Do they still have her? That’s awful!”

“Gggaaabbbrriellle.” Xena rumbled. “This is my interrogation.”  She turned back to Lastay. “Do they?” She shook him hard.

“N…Mistress, please!”

Xena stopped shaking him, substituting a glare.

“They….  It’s her cousin, my liege. They tell me she’s safe.” Lastay said. “I have no reason to believe otherwise.”

Xena drummed her fingers on his forehead. Then she stopped the motion, and cocked her head. “You want her back?”  She asked.

“Mistress!” The duke protested. “She is my dearest wife!”

The queen shrugged. “Just asking.” She released him. “Brendan?”

“Majesty?” The soldier stepped briskly over to her. “Want me t’scare up where they got the little lady?”

“No. Lastay’s gonna tell me that. Just get together a handful of men who don’t mind skulking.” Xena told him. “Have them get horses ready to go out after dark.”

Brendan ducked his head. “I’ll lead em myself, Mistress.”  He turned and walked quickly out, closing the door behind him.

“Betcha won’t.” Xena muttered under her breath. “All right, Lastay. Spill it.”

“Mistress… they said they wouldn’t hurt her.” The duke held both hands out. “I am in discussion with them to retrieve her... there is no need for you to risk any of the men.”

“Wrong.” Xena paced across the room, twitching her robe around her as she moved. “They know you didn’t agree with them, they know you’re in here talking to me, and I haven’t thrown your body out that door yet. They’ve got leverage on you and that….!” Xena turned and pointed at him. “I can’t allow.”

Lastay sighed, an odd expression on his face. “I understand, Mistress.”

The queen paced. “Her cousin’s Edvest, isn’t it? He’s got a townhouse here and that ugly rock pile out to the west.”

“My men have watched the townhouse, Mistress. They don’t believe she is there.” Lastay murmured.

“Of course not. That’d be easy.” Xena snorted. “All right. Listen. I’m gonna throw you out of here, and you let it be known that you’re on my shit list, understand?”

The duke nodded.  “Not to give them reason to move her, or otherwise, Mistress?”

“Exactly.” The queen gripped him by the back of his tunic and started for the door. “Try to act appropriately scared, and make sure you tell everyone what a bitch I am,”

She grabbed the handle and yanked the door open. “Next time, I’ll send you out in little pieces you half assed brainless gnat!”  With a shove, she sent Lastay sprawling out into the outer chamber. The assembled nobles scrambled out of the way, and she noticed that Alaran’s body had been removed. “Anyone else?” She snarled.

Frozen faces looked back at her.

“Anyone who’s got any more gripes better think about taking Brego’s way out.” The queen told them harshly. “Because I’m in a killing mood.”  She turned and slammed the door in their faces, then pivoted on her heel and stalked back to her seat. She turned, fluffed her skirt out and sat down, then pointed at Gabrielle and crooked her finger. “C’mere.”

Gabrielle obeyed.

“Sit.” Xena pointed at her lap.

“Are you sure?” The slave queried.

“No, I’m Xena. Now sit.”

Gabrielle sat down, and was gathered into Xena’s arms for a delightfully surprising hug. “This is getting so complicated.” She said.

“No it isn’t.” Xena kissed her. “It’s just getting interesting.” She nipped Gabrielle’s nose. “Very interesting.”  It was, she realized, as though she were waking up from a long nap.

Yeah.

**

It was sunset.

Xena stood on the upper stone walkway outside her tower and gazed out over the landscape, enjoying the cool wind that ruffled her hair into supreme disorder.   She could smell the change on the breeze, the rich scent of wood smoke and the burning of peat in fireplaces as the chill settled over the land.

Somewhere off in the slight distance, she could smell meat roasting.

It angered her, in a remote way, because her leadership had given them the wealth that let the surplus animals be killed for meat, instead of kept to decrepitude for the last possible chance at milk, or offspring.  She had done that.

She was a good steward of the land, and in her heart, she knew she’d done well by the people who lived off it.  One only had to look at the birth rolls to know that.  

The door opened behind her, and she cocked her ears, playing a little game with herself she used to keep her senses sharp.

Boots rasped against the stone. Xena focused in on the sound, noting its lightness. She caught a gently indrawn breath, and heard the wood of the door brush against a narrow shoulder as it closed. It hadn’t opened wide enough to allow a soldier through, the hinges had barely creaked once, much less the three times that would have required. Ergo, either she had a young boy at her back or something much more pleasant.

The footsteps, almost soundless, approached. The leather barely scraped against the stone, and there was a faint rustle of woolen cloth.

“Ah, Gabrielle.” Xena leaned on the parapet, gazing confidently out at the reddening light. “Come to watch a romantic sunset with your favorite tyrant?”

The slave came up next to her, and put her hands on the stone. “How did you know it was me?” She asked.

“I have many skills.” Xena replied. “One of them is knowing who is sneaking up from behind.”

“I wasn’t sneaking.” Gabrielle leaned against the stone, soaking up the sunlight. “That’s really pretty, isn’t it?” She marveled at the scenery.  “Look at how golden that light is… and those trees! It’s like they’re glowing.”

Xena tilted her head to one side and examined instead the gilded profile next to her. She envied the wonder in those misty green eyes, something she herself had lost a long time before.  Even though Gabrielle’s life so far hadn’t been a picnic, she’d held onto that.

But for how long?

Xena returned her attention to the horizon. “I’m going to take you up to a private place of mine, tonight.” She told her slave. “I want you to stay there, and not budge until I get back.”

Gabrielle turned to her, with a puzzled expression. “Where are you going?”

On a fool’s errand? The queen had to wonder, herself. “I’m going with the men I’m sending after Lastay’s chit.”  She told Gabrielle. “I want to make sure it gets done right… no screw ups.”

“Oh.” Gabrielle folded her arms on the top of the wall and rested her chin on her wrists. “Can’t I go with you?”

“No.” The queen snapped, giving her a severe look. “It’s dangerous and you’ll probably get us all killed.”

Gabrielle accepted this, with a rueful nod, but remained silent, her eyes flicking across the sunset lit trees. What Xena said was probably true, and since she knew absolutely nothing about skulking around in the dark trying to spring a kidnapped woman, it made sense for her to stay here, in a safe place.

Gabrielle sighed. Yes, it did make sense, but she knew sitting somewhere wondering what was going on, and hoping nothing bad was happening was just going to be awful.  What if something did happen? Her eyes slid to the queen’s profile. What if something happened to Xena?

What would she do?  She knew returning to the slave quarters now would be a fate worse than death for her – she had no friends there, and none in the nobility save the woman she stood next to. Without Xena’s protection, she figured her life would be measured in days.

Hours?

“Why in the Hades would you want to come with me?” Xena suddenly asked.

Gabrielle turned her back on the sun and folded her arms as she looked up at the queen. “Because I don’t want to be here if you don’t come back.”

Xena’s dark eyebrows hiked sharply up. ‘What? What makes you think I won’t?” The queen laughed. “It’s not a war, Gabrielle. We’re just going to do a little raid, that’s all.”

The slave shrugged one shoulder. “Stuff happens.”  She admitted softly. “What if there’s three arrows again?”

Xena turned also, and draped an arm over Gabrielle’s shoulders. “C’mon. Help me put on that armor.” She started to walk towards the door. “That should keep even three or four of those damn things outside my skin.”  She was touched, though, by the sincerity of the concern she could hear in Gabrielle’s voice; no matter it was probably her own skin she was worried about.  “It would take a lot more than some scrungy stronghold guards to put me on the pyre, my friend.”

Gabrielle reached forward, and pulled the door open. “I know, I just...”

It happened so quickly, she didn’t even see it. There was just a blast of air that smelt like unwashed humanity, and she hit the stone floor as Xena shoved her down out of the way.

Things were moving around her, but she curled into a ball out of pure instinct, and pressed herself against the wall, trying to stay out of danger.

Xena caught the glint of steel and let out a wild yell, freezing the man in place just long enough for her to get her hands free of Gabrielle’s body and clamp her fingers down on the wrist of the hand holding the knife.

She threw her body backwards, pulling the leather armored figure after her and turned, using the momentum to her favor as she slammed him into the stone wall on the other side of the door. She felt the arm bones under her fingers crack, and the soft clank as the knife hit the ground.

Then she got her other hand around his throat and touched two pressure points.

The man started to choke, and fell to his knees, giving her a chance to examine him. A slave, she realized, from the kitchens by his dress. She stepped back and watched dispassionately as he fought to breathe, his fingers scrabbling at his neck helplessly.

Gabrielle scrambled up from the ground and clutched her arm. “Xena!”

“Hm? The queen wiped her hands off on her robe.

“What are you doing?”

Xena looked at the man, then at her slave. “Watching him die, why?”

“But... he didn’t do anything!” Gabrielle protested, her eyes widening in horror. She recognized the man as one of the stock handlers from the yard, a mild, gentle sort who’d sat across from her during one of her few meals in the kitchens and given her a smile.

“He came up here, with a knife in his hands.” Xena told her. “You die for that here, Gabrielle. Everyone knows it.”

“But... maybe he just made a mistake!” Gabrielle watched the man’s face turning blue. “Oh, gods.” She dropped to her knees next to him and tried to ease his struggles. “Gods... don’t do this.”

“Gabrielle!”

“No!” The slave’s hands went helplessly to the man’s face. “He didn’t do anything to you!”

Xena’s hands twitched, as she got caught in a sense of confusion alien to her.  “Damn right! I got him first!”

“But he didn’t attack!”

“He would have!” Xena felt a strange sense of angry absurdity over it all. “Get away from him!”

“Gods.” Gabrielle almost sobbed. “Oh, gods, please no...”  She felt the man stiffen under her hands.

Xena hesitated, and then looked to the knife on the floor, about to point to it as proof of the rightness of what she was doing.

Her eyes fastened on it. Then she cursed, a base oath that nearly made the stone crack as she stooped next to the man, tearing Gabrielle’s hands away as she fought to find the right…spot….

His eyes rolled wildly, and his body arched, then suddenly slumped and relaxed, with a shudder.

The rasping of his breath sounded loud on the parapet.

Xena stood and walked to the wall, resting her hands against it and staring out over the trees, more than shaken. 

Gabrielle watched the purple in the man’s face recede, his chest heaving as life returned to him, though he was still out cold.  A huge sense of relief passed over her, and she stood, walking to Xena’s side and putting her arms around her. “Thank you.” She hugged the queen.

Xena felt her arms close around Gabrielle in numb instinct. She looked over the slave’s shoulder to the slumped figure on the floor, rattled to her very core at the mistake she’d almost made. “Wasn’t for you.” She said, in a husky voice, her eyes tracing the outline of the hoof knife lying mutely on the stone. Next to it was a chunk of something that might have been rock, but she knew it wasn’t.

Horse hoof.

There was a reason for someone to be up here, with those things, and it had been so long since she’d been sought out for her animal skills she’d forgotten completely about that.

“I don’t care.” Gabrielle told her. “I’m just glad you did it.”  She sniffled, and looked up at Xena. “There has to be a better way than violence.”

Xena pulled her close and rested her cheek against Gabrielle’s hair. The slave’s mistaken stab at mercy had saved Xena from a stupid mistake, that was all.  There was no reason to let her think that Xena had some sort of wimpy change of heart.

And yet, she remained silent.

Gabrielle hugged her all the harder, and exhaled, warming the skin near Xena’s breastbone.

Xena returned the squeeze, as her body relaxed from its battle tension. She felt the last rays of the sun hit her on the back, warming her shoulder blades and throwing their joined shadow across the walkway to spill over the now feebly moving stockman.

He reached for his shattered wrist with his other hand, and rolled onto his side, panting hard and gazing up at her with wide, starkly terrified eyes. 

Lucky boy.  Xena exhaled, and put her thoughts in order. Definitely, she had to make sure the upper chamber was well guarded, and Gabrielle well hidden when she left. Despite her stated request, the queen knew there was no way she’d be taking her along with her on the raid.

Absolutely no chance of that.

**

Shadows of the Soul

Part 12

The moon slowly rose, peeking over the walls of the stronghold and spilling quiet silver light across shadowy figures and restlessly stamping animals.  Overhead, pennants flapped in the night breeze, the rustle of fabric sounding out over the low clink of an ironsmith working and the rumble of cattle in their pens.

In the courtyard, men stood waiting, their hands tucked into bridles as they made a last check of weapons draped over their armored bodies.  Their leathers were dark, and the horses tack blackened with soot from the fire.

The door to the stable opened, and a horse moved into the open space, it’s shoulders a good foot above the rest’s and it’s coat a silky, dark coal that reflected none of the torchlight that seemed to sink into it’s inky depths.

"All right, let's get moving." Xena settled her knees, feeling a sense of pleasure at finding herself on horseback again.  It had been a while, she suspected she'd be paying for that with a little soreness at the end of the night, but she was looking forward to the exercise nonetheless.   She was a natural rider, and her mastery showed in the subtle body shifts that moved her big stallion around in a circle with effortless ease.  “I want to get out there, get the wench, and get back before anyone knows what’s going on.”

“Mistress.” Brendan saluted, and gave a signal. The men mounted, forming up around the queen as she sat easily in their midst.

“Keep together. I want to be back here well before sunrise.” Xena said. “I’ve got a little surprise for everyone at morning court, and I don’t want to be late.” A pressure on her shoulder made her glance around. "Are you ready?" She growled at the wide green eyes peeking back at her.

 Gabrielle was seated behind her on her horse, her arms wrapped securely around Xena's middle. She was looking at everything with a sense of awed wonder, but noticeably kept her eyes off the ground. "I think so."

"You think so?"

Gabrielle wriggled a little. "I've never been on a horse before." She said, a little surprised at how big they were once you were on top of them.

"Figures. Another virginity issue."  The queen remarked. "I can't believe I let you talk me into taking you. My brains must be leaking out somewhere."  Shaking her head, she took the supple reins into one hand and surveyed her small force, seeing the glints as the low light reflected off the eyes watching her.  She suspected they were wondering about the little blond kid on her tail as much as she was, but a spirit of recklessness seemed to have taken her over and it prompted nothing more than a very dry chuckle.

The armor felt good against her skin. The cool air felt even better, and somehow, that little pocket of living warmth pressed against her back just seemed to fit somehow.  It hadn’t really been Gabrielle’s doing to convince her either. “You’re gonna regret this, you know.”

“I am?”

Xena turned, grinning wickedly through the dark bangs that half obscured her eyes. “You won’t be able to put your knees together for a week.”

Gabrielle blinked at her. “Oh.”

“Mm.” The queen flicked her cloak around her knees. “On second thought, maybe you won’t regret it. Depends on how creative I get.”

The blond head cocked to one side, and Gabrielle’s brow furrowed. “How creative you get?”

Xena gave her a look. “On a count of three, blush.” She instructed her slave. “My shoulderblades are chilly.”

“Oh.” Gabrielle did, indeed, blush. She rested her cheek against the queen’s back, feeling a sense of fear and excitement over the adventure to come as well as a sensual tickle in her guts as the meaning of Xena’s words became clear to her.  She hadn’t really expected Xena to change her mind on the way down from the tower, but as she’d buckled the queen’s armor onto her, Xena had suddenly turned and held her face, studying her intently.

Then, she was going. That was all. Confusing, but Gabrielle was sure Xena had a good reason for it. “I’m sure it’ll be worth it.”

The queen chuckled, and guided her horse over to where the other members of the raiding party were waiting. “Evening, boys.” She greeted the group.

“Majesty.” Brendan eased his horse over to her, and bowed in the saddle, equally at ease as she was. “You do us a great honor.”

“By letting you come along for the ride? Yes, I do. You’re welcome.” Xena replied, with a wicked chuckle. “You get to ride on my royal coattails, and maybe if you’re lucky my little Gabrielle here will put you in her story about the whole thing.” She slapped the slave on the leg.

“Story, m’liege?” Brendan asked. “Have we got us a storyteller then?”

“We do.” Xena motioned for one of the grooms to open a small, inconspicuous door half hidden by a curve in the wall. It was just large enough to admit them mounted, if they ducked.  Xena had to duck more than most, because of her height and the stallions, but she did it gracefully, leaning her body to one side then straightening as they moved along a narrow stone corridor that ended in yet another set of thick, barred doors.

They all were silent, only the horses footfalls sounding as they filed out, the doors opened by the grooms trotting ahead of them. The night spread out before them, a softly beaten path leading down from the doors they’d just left down to the road.   Sounds were muted, the rustle and clank of habitation mixed with the restless motion of livestock as they ambled past the town and headed off into the dark countryside.

Xena waited until they’d past the market, and the outlying hamlets and the trees had swallowed them on either side. “Now you listen to me, my little muskrat.”  She turned her head and murmured to Gabrielle.

“I’m not a muskrat.” Gabrielle objected mildly, tipping her head back to look up at the stars. “Oh… look!”

“What?” Xena swiftly checked the area.

“No, up there!” Gabrielle whispered. “It’s moving!” She pointed at a streak of light.

Xena stared at it.

“Make a wish!” The slave urged her. “If you make a wish when you see one of those, it’ll come true!”

“Gabrielle.” The queen drawled in amusement.

“It will!”

Xena shook her head and chuckled. “Ten thousand slaves, and I had to pick this one.” She mock sighed.

The road was empty before them, as she’d expected. It was lined with forest as it headed down to the river valley, where it would open up a little as it crossed the ford and entered the fertile lands on the other side. Evgast’s stronghold was nestled in a fold of the next valley, the approach easily visible from it’s stone walls.  She’d have to find a way in less conspicuously, but until then she settled down and decided to just enjoy the ride.  “So.”

“Hm?” Gabrielle leaned closer.

One of the girl’s thumbs was rubbing her absently just above her navel, and Xena found it delightfully distracting. “What’d you wish for?”  She asked, letting her free hand drop down to rest on the slave’s thigh.

“I  can’t tell you.”

Xena turned her head. “Can’t?” She growled.

“It won’t come true, then.” Gabrielle explained. “You can’t tell anyone.”  She rested her cheek against the queen’s shoulder as she peered out past her. “It’s a pretty night out.”

Pretty? Xena observed the landscape. It was lit in faint starlight, the new moon barely a sliver on the horizon. “If you say so.” She said. “Now listen. When we get where we’re going, I’m gonna stick you up a tree, and you will keep your mouth shut and just wait for us to get back. Understand?”

“Okay.”

“Hm…” Xena traced the side of her knee through her leggings. “I love it when someone obeys me without question.” She drawled softly. “It’s one of the reasons I wanted to rule everything.”

Gabrielle watched the horses’ ears flick back and forth, as though he were listening to Xena too. “What are you going to do?”

Xena kept an eye on the forest to either side, the caution of a lifetime stirring instincts that she had to admit were rusty at best. It had been a very long time, she was suddenly conscious, since she’d left the security of her troops and her stronghold to walk the land virtually alone.

Was this really a good idea?

She frowned, disturbed at the thought.  Her plan had been relatively simple, in abstract. She’d lead her small group up into the hills, and sneak into Evgast’s castle. He lived in the heartland of the kingdom and there hadn’t been so much as a renegade road bandit in the area for years. She felt sure they could get inside, then find the girl and get out again.

But would it be that easy? Was she kidding herself? Was she a nutcase for coming out here and risking herself in a crazy attempt at…

At what?

No. She dismissed the thought. She was doing this because she knew she’d do it right, and….

Xena frowned again. “Why in Hades am I doing this?” She asked aloud.

Gabrielle assumed she was being addressed, and considered the question carefully. “Because you want to help out the duke, and get him on your side?” She ventured. “And it’s a really amazing thing to do.”

Hm.  Xena signaled the men forward, and pressed her knees into her stallion’s sides. The horse’s pace increased from a walk to a canter, and she felt Gabrielle grab hold of her in a sudden death grip. “I’ll go with that.” She said. “Better make sure you remember all the heroic details, hm?”

“Uhhhh…” Gabrielle was now moving faster than she’d ever gone before in her life. The wind blew her hair back, and she blinked as the cold air stung her eyeballs. “Thhh.at wwould be easier if you didn’t put mmme in a ttree.”

Xena peered at her. “You’re stuttering.”

“T…the horrrse is bbbbouncing.”

“Ahh… I can make him stop bouncing. Would you like that?”

Gabrielle nodded vigorously.

Xena chuckled, and clamped her knees down, leaning forward and letting out a soft yell. The horse bolted into an all out gallop, his pace lengthening as the trees whipped by.  “Better?” She called back to her passenger.

“Yyyeeewooooooooo!” Gabrielle wrapped her arms around Xena’s body and hung on for dear life.  She could feel the queen laughing, and felt the muscular flexing as her body moved with the horses motion. It was scary, and very uncomfortable and she felt like she was about to fall off.

And then, she figured out if she stuck to Xena like a snail and moved when she moved, it got a little better.

Just a little.

They thundered through the night, sweeping down the road towards the river.  It was dark, and the sky overhead seemed full of shooting stars.

Gabrielle decided it would either be the best adventure she’d ever had, or the worst nightmare she could ever imagine.  But if the gods listened to her, and granted her wish – then she and Xena would be okay.

And…  Her body melded a little more tightly to the queen’s. Xena was right about one thing.

It would make a really, really good story.

**

Xena crawled up onto the ridge, perversely exulting in the feel of the cold, hard ground against her knees and elbows. She slowly pulled herself up over a root at the top, peeking over and gazing down in the valley below.

The small castle was well lit by torches, and the gates were manned by no less than six stalwart looking fellows, bearing long spears with barbed points on them.  Xena noticed also the narrow slits in the stone walls, where she could just make out the faintest of glints on the crossbows mounted inside.

Slowly, her head turned and she surveyed the lands around the building, nodding a little at the strictly cleared space that allowed for no intruders to creep up unexpectedly.  Good planning, unfortunately for her.  Her eyes tracked across the ripple of starlight on the small stream that ran alongside the walls, offering more protection and taking the castle’s refuse away in a nose cringing flow. 

Hm. Xena eyed the water.  She cocked her head and listened intently, hearing very far off a rich burbling sound somewhere up the slope behind the castle.  She considered the force she had with her, then backed off from the ridge and returned to where the men and Gabrielle were waiting.

“Looks to be pretty sharp on the door, Mistress.” Brendan remarked, in a low voice. “Almost like they was specting trouble.”

Yeah.  “Evgast knows he’s got a prize in there.” Xena said. “It’s not out of the question that Lastay would try to get in.”  She indicated the slope. “We need to leave the horses here. Put them into that patch of trees over there.”

Brendan looked. “Aye, Mistress? Then?”

“Then we climb.” Xena smiled at him with cheerful wickedness. “Hope you’re up to it, old man.” She patted him on the head and started towards the copse of trees with Gabrielle trailing quietly behind her.

“Xena?” The slave murmured, as they reached the trees. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Could I stop you?” The queen led her big mount inside the protected space and tied his bridle off.  She edged out of the way as the rest of the men followed her lead. “Hm?” Her fingers found Gabrielle’s chin and tipped it upward.

“Sure.”

“What?” Xena asked.

“Couldn’t you just go to the front door and ask them to give her up?”

Xena gazed down at her. One eyebrow hiked up.         

“I mean, you’re the queen. They’d have to listen to you, wouldn’t they?” The slave went on.

“Hm.” Xena put her arm around Gabrielle’s shoulders and started up the ridge as the men clustered around them. “I could do that.” She admitted. “But I don’t want to.”

They moved quietly through the trees, Xena leading them on a slanting path up the hill.  Gabrielle was quiet for a few steps, then looked up again. “Why not?”

“Two reasons.” The queen answered. “First, because Evgast’s gone so far at this point, he may have told his people to kill her if anyone approaches the castle.”

“Oh.” Gabrielle murmured. “Wow. That would be bad.”

“Mm.” Xena nodded. “And two, because all the fun for me in this is outsmarting the little bastard and stealing his prize away under his bulbous nose.”

“Ah.”

“And I intend to have the most fun possible tonight.” Xena concluded.  “Especially since they think  I’m busy in my quarters indulging in hedonistic rituals their feeble imaginations could not even begin to picture.”  She ducked her head as she walked, gracefully capturing Gabrielle’s lips and exploring them without missing a step or bumping into the slightest twig.  “Understand?”

Gabrielle nodded. “I think I do, yes.”

“Good.” Xena reached the end of the easy slope and released her slave, examining the rocky outcropping ahead of her. “Okay.” She flexed her fingers. “Here’s where it gets tough. I’ll go first, everybody follow me. If you fall, keep your mouth shut. No screaming.”

Gabrielle watched as the queen unhooked her cloak and draped it neatly over a tree limb. She was dressed in her armor, but to that she’d added knitted leggings tucked into her boots and a coal colored shirt of mail that covered her arms and rendered her almost invisible in the darkness.

Xena started the climb up the rocks, picking her handholds carefully and moving with steady, cautious deliberation. After a moment’s pause, Gabrielle realized the men were waiting for her to go next, and she scrambled forward, taking hold of the stones and pulling herself after the queen as fast as she could.

It wasn’t easy at all. Gabrielle realized very quickly. Xena made it look almost effortless, but the stone edges cut into her hands and the energy  it took to pull her body up was almost more than she could handle. She heard the men start to climb up after her, though, muffling soft oaths and she felt just a little bit better about it.  It was tough for her, but at least she was light. They weren’t. 

The path got steeper, and she struggled to grab a handhold Xena had used. The stone was a little slick from the night air and her grip slipped, making her fall back against the rocks with a painful thump. “Ow.” She mouthed silently, remembering Xena’s warning.

“You all right, little one?” Brendan murmured, just beneath her.

“Yes.” Gabrielle whispered, catching her breath and taking a firmer hold on the stone. She tugged her body upward, glancing up only to find a pair of icy blue eyes looking back at her. “Sorry.”

“Yes, you are.” The queen said tartly.

Gabrielle blinked at her, wincing at the sting of the words. It wasn’t as if she’d spent her life crawling around mountains after all.

“At this, anyway.” Xena reached down and grabbed the back of her tunic, hauling her up onto the next little ridge as easily as if she’d been a sack of corn. “Glad you’ve got other good points. C’mon.”

With Xena’s grip on her, climbing became a whole lot easier. Gabrielle pulled herself up past the last bit of rock and settled down on her belly next to the queen. After a few minutes, the others joined them, and they edged up to peek over the top of the ridge.

Now, they were on one side of the castle. Gabrielle could see the walls in the rear, equally as imposing as those in the front, their gray surfaces broken only by two guarded doors and a wooden stockade like thing which covered a pile of rocks near the very back.

Xena motioned Brendan forward. She pointed at the guards by the door nearest them. The old soldier nodded, then crept down the line, tapping one of the men on the shoulder and indicating he should follow.

Gabrielle watched them go, their armor blending quickly into the dark foliage as they inched their way down the slope.  It was amazing to her how silently they moved and she observed in fascination the barest hint of a shadow as they crawled along. She leaned over very close to Xena’s ear. “What are they going to do?”

Xena turned her head and regarded her. “Take the guards out.” She uttered.

“Oh.” Gabrielle watched a moment more, before the meaning of the words penetrated and a cold chill went down her back. She looked at Xena. “D…”

“Yes.” The queen enunciated the word precisely. “Close your damn eyes.”

Gabrielle held hers for a long moment. Then she turned and let her chin rest on her forearm, fastening her gaze on the guards standing unaware in the torchlight.  They were no more than stick figures at this distance, faint motions as they shifted barely visible and it was impossible to distinguish what they looked like.

Did that make watching easier? Gabrielle swallowed. They could be just regular guys, like the men Xena had brought with her. They could be someone’s brother. Or husband.  She pictured Brendan’s face. Or father.

But soon they would just be bodies. Gabrielle didn’t know any of them, but it made her sad and she wondered if this is what life just had in store for her from now on. Should she just get used to it?

Could she?  She shifted and looked at Xena’s profile. The queen was resting her weight on her elbows, watching the stronghold with quiet, alert eyes. The beauty of her strong, sculpted features was evident even in the low starlight and Gabrielle wondered again at how so much blood and death could live so easily inside the woman next to her.

Just something else she’d have to get used to, wasn’t it?  Gabrielle exhaled, briefly wishing she’d never asked to come along.  “Can I leave out this heroic detail when I tell the story?” She murmured to herself with a little shake of her head.

Xena pretended not to hear her. She gazed confidently ahead, watching the flicker of motion she knew were her men heading down to take care of business.  Once the guards were dead, she could get in that back way and this time of night be pretty much guaranteed a period of time to find her quarry.  She’d leave two of her men outside in case anyone gave the door a casual look, and it should go nice and easy for everyone.

Echoes nibbled annoyingly at her ears. Except for Evgast’s guards, that is.  She shot a glance at Gabrielle, and watched the girl’s fair lashes flicker, her profile a study in pensive dismay.

Damn it. Feeling like she had to justify her decisions really pissed her off. Xena frowned and dismissed the slave, concentrating on thinking through her plan.

Moments later though, she found herself watching Gabrielle again. The girl had turned her attention from the guards to a small beetle in front of her nose,  and she put a careful finger in front of it and watched it crawl up and over to continue on it’s way.

Now, why in Hades would anyone do something like that?  Xena wondered. “Hey.”

There was a brief but perceptible hesitation before Gabrielle looked up at her. The slave’s lips pressed into a very faint smile, then relaxed as she waited to see what Xena wanted from her.

What do I want from her? Xena mused, as she studied the gentle, innocent face. “Listen.” She put the tip of her index finger on Gabrielle’s nose. “We live in a nasty world. You can’t be nice to everyone.”

“I know.” Gabrielle said. “But…” She glanced out at the castle. “Couldn’t you just have tied them up?”

Xena sighed. “No.” She returned her attention to the guards, seeing a shadow slide towards the right of them and taking in a breath of anticipation. “For one thing, we don’t have any rope.” She observed. “And for another…”  The queen paused,  a wrinkle appearing in her brow.  “Anyway, it’s too late now.” She turned and rested her chin against her fists.  “Everyone get ready to move.”

Gabrielle wrestled with herself for a few minutes, forcing her eyes finally to fasten on the guards. She closed her hands on the ground in front of her, catching two bunches of leaves and twigs and feeling them bite into her palms.

One of the guards looked at his partner across the doorway, making a faintly seen motion with his spear. The other waved  a tiny hand in response.

She could almost imagine them sharing a joke together, just the two of them there alone in the night.

Then as she watched, unable to look away, two shadows detached themselves from the ground and swept down on the doorway. The guard nearest her started to react, then his spear dropped and he followed it, clutching his throat as he fell.

The other guard didn’t even have time to let out a yell. One moment he was standing, the next he was just a huddle of fabric on the hard, cold ground. Death had come to them in silence, and in silence the dark shadows picked up the bodies and pulled them back into the rough brush they’d come from.

“Nice.” Xena complimented them quietly.

Gabrielle looked down at her hands. Slowly, she uncurled them and let the leaves fall, feeling sick and more than a  little sad. She folded her fingers together and rested her forehead on them, breathing in the smell of the earth as she said a little prayer to Hades for the two men’s journey to his lands.

“Let’s go.” Xena got a grip on the back of Gabrielle’s tunic and lifted her to her feet, surging over the ridge and starting down the slope towards the castle.  “You don’t want to miss the fun, do you?”

Gabrielle found herself trotting down the hill after the queen, towards the torchlit doorway. She almost pulled up on seeing the two guards in place on either side of it, then she realized it was Xena’s men in the guard’s tabards.

There was no sign of the original guards as they approached.

Brendan worked the latch as they arrived, pushing the door gently open and ducking his head as Xena slipped past him into the castle.

“Good job.” The queen patted his cheek.

“Aye. Not bad for an old man, eh?” Brendan chuckled.

The door closed behind them, and Gabrielle found herself in a small, closed courtyard that was empty of anything save a set of old barrels.

“All right.” Xena murmured. “That was the easy part. Split up. You two..” She indicated two of the four remaining me. “Go to the tower stair. Make sure no one comes up this way and blocks our exit.”

“Aye, Mistress.” The two men slipped away.

“You two, find the barracks and stables.” Xena instructed.  “Gabrielle and I will find the girl. When I whistle, get your selves back here and get ready to move like Hades.”

“Mistress.” The taller of the two touched his forehead, and they melted into the darkness.

Gabrielle was left with Xena, alone in the courtyard. She felt her heart start to pound, as she suddenly realized she was going to be involved in whatever plan it was Xena had come up with.

There would be no safety of an anonymous tree to sit in. She would be going where Xena went, and risking whatever it was the queen had in mind.

It was profoundly terrifying.

What if she screwed something up? What if they got caught? What if….

“Hey.” Xena patted her on the cheek. “Stop losing your mind. We’ll be fine. There’s no one in this place that can put a touch on me. You’re safe as a baby.”

Gabrielle blinked at her, and tried to project a confidence she didn’t feel. “Okay.”

“Let’s go.” The queen put a hand on her shoulder and started to walk, placing her boots carefully as they moved down the hall. “No squeaking.”

Yeah. Gabrielle clamped her jaws together. Easy for the cat to say.

**

“Where is everyone?” Gabrielle whispered, as softly as she could. She and Xena were standing at the bottom of a long, spiral stone staircase inside the tower nearest to the back door. “It’s so quiet.”

“Mm.” The queen laid her hand against the stone and leaned towards it as though she were listening to it’s silent secrets. “Supper, probably.” She straightened, apparently satisfied. “Keep quiet. Don’t scuff your feet or I’ll….”

“Cut them off?” Gabrielle suggested, in a low murmur. “Boy, that would be messy.”

Xena patted her cheek. “That’s my girl. Keep working on that sense of humor.”  She started up the steps, placing her feet with caution as she slowly lifted her body up. She cocked her head and listened, straining her ears for the least sound above her as she lead Gabrielle along.

The tower was empty, almost too empty. The queen felt a prickle of nerves as she continued upward, mindful of the short, blond responsibility hanging just off her hip.

Was she nuts, to have brought Gabrielle?  Xena scowled, pausing in the middle of the staircase to crane her head up, and examine what she could see of the top landing. A single torch burned up there, and she could hear the light licking of the flame against the stone of the wall.

No breathing, no motion that might indicate a guard. “Hm.” Xena continued her stealthy upward motion, one hand on Gabrielle’s shoulder as she stepped around the last curve of the stairs and ended up at the upper doorway.

“Hold up.” Xena knelt and examined the ground, her fingers brushing over a dark stain before the door. She sniffed carefully, then she stood and pressed her ear against the doorway. From the other side, she could just barely detect a murmur of low voices and her heart rate picked up in response.  “Stay behind me.”

Gabrielle had no intention of staying anywhere but.  She tucked herself behind the queen’s reassuringly solid form as Xena put her hand on the latch and worked it silently. Her heart was racing so quickly it was making her dizzy, and she concentrated on taking deep breaths as the wooden door eased slightly open.

A puff of air trickled out, full of reeds and oil smoke, and the tickly scent of wool. After a moment of utter stillness, Xena inched the door further, slipping her body inside and tugging Gabrielle in after her.

You wanted adventure. Gabrielle reminded herself, as she felt the door close, sealing them into a hallway with a tall, arched roof and a number of inset doors. You got it, so now shut up and do what she says.

There was a slim, woolen carpet on the floor, and hangings on the walls that warmed the interior. Torches were tucked neatly in sconces spaced along the length of the hall, but other than that it was empty.  Gabrielle could just barely hear voices, off in the distance, and as she craned her head around Xena’s elbow she also spotted something else.

At the end of the corridor was another doorway, but this one was different. It bore iron bars, and a large, heavy lock secured the entrance that looked stout enough to withstand even a giant’s blow.

How had, Gabrielle suddenly wondered, the queen known exactly where to go?  She wanted to ask, but one look at Xena’s serious face convinced her to keep her tongue inside her mouth and her thoughts to herself. She could see, though, why there weren’t any guards. No one could get inside that room.

The iron bars didn’t seem to dismay the queen, however. Somehow, Gabrielle didn’t feel a lot of surprise over that.

Xena turned, and put her hands on Gabrielle’s shoulders, her eyes quiet, and very intent. She pressed backwards, pushing her against the wall and into a slight alcove. Then she released her, and put a fingertip on Gabrielle’s nose. “Don’t move.” She mouthed silently.

Gabrielle nodded.

Without a sound, Xena turned and walked down the hallway. As she approached the first doorway she paused, easing her head around the corner and examining the space before she moved on.  Her motions were smooth and graceful, and she seemed to radiate an alertness that Gabrielle could feel all the way back at her end of the corridor.

It had an eerie beauty to it.  

She held her breath as Xena came to the next entrance, her entire body going absolutely still.  With horrified eyes, Gabrielle watched as the door opened, spilling candlelight out into the hall and a man emerged, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

He walked right past the tall, dark haired woman standing against the wall, and didn’t even see the arm that snaked around his neck and broke it.

The soft crunching sound hit Gabrielle right in the pit of her stomach.  She watched the man slump into Xena’s arms, and saw the dispassionate look in the queen’s eyes as she tucked the body into a dark corner on the other side of the door.

It was no longer beautiful. Gabrielle closed her eyes on the image of the man’s staring eyes, looking right at her before his head was turned and his life extinguished between one of her breaths and the next.   

Cautiously, Xena peered inside the room. Then she turned and picked the unlucky man up, hauling his body up over her shoulder as though he were a sack of grain and dumping him inside the room. She closed the door behind him, and dusted her hands off.

Her eyes met Gabrielle’s.  Then Xena turned and continued down the hall towards the locked chamber.

It was like being caught in a nightmare. Gabrielle pressed her shoulders back against the stone, willing her body not to just turn and run as it so desperately wanted to. She didn’t want to be here. She didn’t want to see anyone else die, or watch Xena practice those dark skills she seemed so very proud of.

She tried not to think of those same hands touching her. Patting her cheek.

Gabrielle felt sick, and more than a little ashamed. She dropped her eyes to the ground and hoped it would all just end quickly, before anyone else found them.

Xena padded up to the iron gates and examined the lock. She was quite satisfied with herself so far, having guessed right about Evgast’s architecture and remembered the interior of his castle that she’d only seen once.  Her sense of hearing told her there was no one else in the tower yet, and she flicked her eyes around the hall before she concentrated on the iron clasp in her hands.

Was Gabrielle watching how clever she was? Xena glanced down to where she’d left the slave. She frowned when she took in Gabrielle’s posture, and wondered what the Hades the problem was with the kid now.

As though sensing Xena’s eyes, Gabrielle looked up, met her gaze, then looked away, unable to hold it.

But that brief moment was enough, almost more than enough, to make Xena drop the lock, turn her back on the door and return down the hall.

Forgetting her task, forgetting the captive. Intent only on the slight, pale haired figure huddled in a dark corner at the far end of the stone walls.  She reached the girl and put a hand out, touching her face in question.

Gabrielle pulled back in almost a cringe.

Xena felt…  She stared at the slave, shocked at the rush of hurt that overtook her at that slight motion. She reached out again, and watched as Gabrielle pressed back against the wall, moving away from her fingers.

Neither of them spoke. Xena looked down at her hands, then she turned and looked at the second door as she recalled her actions. She looked back at Gabrielle, who was gazing unhappily at the floor.

The queen felt her own shoulders slump. The emotions inside her was almost too much, and the danger around them increasing proportionately.  She found herself not caring about the captive, or the castle, or Evgast, though – the pain focused right on the slave before her.

She should just go get her job done. Xena wrestled with herself. She was insane to be standing here. Insane!

So she knelt, dropping to one knee in the hall, accepting her insanity as she let this need of hers take precedence over everything despite how incredibly stupid she knew it was. There, at last, she met soft, green eyes full of startlement.

Xena lifted her hand, and pointed at her chest, then she pointed at Gabrielle. She touched the side of her mouth, and made a gesture, opening and closing her fingers in a talking motion.

Gabrielle looked nervously down the hall, then back at her. Voices were getting louder, and she heard a soft clank of something hitting something else down the stairs near the end of the hall.

Xena didn’t budge, ignoring the danger.  She held her hand out, palm up, her eyes never leaving the slave’s face.

Gabrielle hesitated. She wasn’t sure what Xena was asking her, but looking down into those blue eyes, she knew she had to either answer, or run.  With a pensive exhale, she put her palm down on top of Xena’s outstretched hand.

There was so much looking up at her. So many stormy emotions.

Was she being stupid? They were in such a dangerous place, how could she question anything Xena was doing to get them out of it?

Gabrielle took a breath, unable to pull her gaze away from the queen’s. There was a connection she could feel there, with her, that defied the wrappings of her youthful morality. She couldn’t deny it.

Her heart reached out, not wanting to deny it, brushing past her sense of right and wrong to touch the restless spirit kneeling before her.

Xena stood, and briefly clasped her hand, then released it. She eyed Gabrielle for a long moment, then she deliberately lifted her arm and brushed the backs of her knuckles across the girl’s cheek.

This time, Gabrielle didn’t flinch. She gazed quietly up at the queen, still anguished, but remained still as the fingers touched her face.

Satisfied, Xena nodded, then she turned and glided back down the hallway, reaching the bound door just as four soldiers came up the stairs and rounded the wall in front of her.

They attacked without hesitation.

**

Xena was offbalance. She met the attack and managed to keep her skin intact for the first few moments, the critical ones where lives were often lost along with reputations.  She didn’t waste time being angry with herself, though she knew she’d put herself squarely into this mess by her insane need to make nice with her slave.

She deserved to get gutted for that, the queen acknowledged, as she grabbed a spear out of one of the guards hands and set to work.  Idiot. Idiot. Idiot. Xena struck with rapidfire grace, slamming the man closest to her in the head, the chest, and the groin with the spear in time with her inner chanting.

Two others jumped her. She didn’t have enough space to avoid them, without falling down the steep stairs. She felt a sharp shock on the back of her head and things went dark for a moment, sounds echoing weirdly as her conciousness briefly faded out.

Her body kept fighting, though. She twisted and rolled out from under the man, getting a foot into his ribcage and heaving him off her with the strength of her legs. He grunted, the only sound any of them had issued so far, and she bounced to her feet to meet the second man’s rising head with a roundhouse right hand punch.

Her senses warned her and she grabbed the hand reaching for her from behind, twisting and yanking and sending her new adversary to the ground. He fell, but grabbed her leg as he rolled and she felt her balance pulled out from under her.

Damn. Xena kicked out as she felt the ground coming up, and heard the cry as her blow connected. A heavy body fell across her  lower body. She landed and rolled, but the man on her pinned her in place and she didn’t have the leverage to heave him off. She froze, hearing the sound of steel over her head with a shocking suddenness and knowing herself now to be in unexpectedly mortal danger.

She twisted, lifting her arm over her head instinctively to protect herself, knowing with her back against the wall she had no chance of drawing her sword. Her eyes tracked up and saw the blade descending, saw the cold, intent eyes behind it, and realized her insanity was likely going to cost her a lifetime.

Well. Xena found herself thinking, in that quiet moment before death found her, at least she’d found out how good a hug felt first.

The man’s arms swept down, the blade cutting through the air and toward her almost in slow motion. In that same slow motion, she sensed something approaching, a body moving fast and plowing into the soldier with just… enough… force…

To send the sword slamming into the man over Xena’s legs instead of her, a spray of the soldier’s blood gushing out all over both of them.

The blade stuck in a bone. Xena yanked a leg free and kicked the sword holder in the face with vicious force, hearing the crack as his jaw broke. He spun away and fell, and she got free of the man on the floor and surged to her feet.

The two remaining men lunged at her. She knew she had no time to pull her sword out, so she grabbed them both by the face, her fingers digging into their eye sockets and slammed their heads together with enough force to crack their skulls.

They dropped.

Xena froze, listening hard, but no other sounds were heard on the steps.

She straightened slowly, spotting a small, huddled figure crouched near the iron bars, gazing up at her in the torchlight.

Gabrielle.

The slave scrubbed her face with one hand, and pulled herself upright, to stand on unsteady legs. Blood was spattered over her skin, and she was shaking.

She saved my life.  Xena realized, in mild amazement.

But there was no time to think about that. Xena turned and picked up the first man, dragging him into the room she’d put her other victim into.  She repeated the process with the other three, and only then approached the iron bound door, where Gabrielle was still standing.

Time to get the Hades out of here. Xena lifted the lock again, and pulled her slim dagger from it’s sheath. She twirled it in her fingers, then inserted the point into the lock, and closed her eyes, coughing up yet another rusty skill from an increasingly distant seeming past.

**

The woman inside the room looked up as the door entered, her eyes going wide in fright and alarm. “Oh!” She was small, just a bit taller than Gabrielle, and had long, chestnut colored hair.

“Shh.” Xena put a finger to her lips. “C’mon.”  Her eyes narrowed on seeing the visible bruises on the captive’s face, and the limp she had as she got up hesitantly and approached the door.

“My queen.” The woman quavered uncertainly, her eyes darting to Gabrielle’s face as the slave peeked out from behind her armored erstwhile savior. “You are in great danger!”

“No, I’m not.” Xena yanked her forward unceremoniously. “But people will be if we don’t get out of here.” She nudged Gabrielle out in front of her and paused, listening again before she continued on. Once outside, she stopped, turning and closing the door behind her.  She picked up the lock and bent slightly to fasten it.

“Are you okay?” Gabrielle asked, softly.

The woman studied Gabrielle’s tunic, then she nodded. “As well as I might be, but if the duke’s men hear us…”

“They’ll lose their ears.” Xena finished her task and started down the hall, shoving the other two women before us. “Move it.”

“But, your majesty, does he not know you are here? I did not hear of a banquet…”

Xena paused at the far door, turning to give her a droll look. “Figures Lastay’d pick as dim a candle as he is to marry.” She laid her hand on the wood and cocked her head. “Just shut up, and follow me.”

The woman fell silent, with a hurt and puzzled look.  Gabrielle watched her for a moment, then she leaned closer to her. “She came to get you out.” She whispered, watching the woman’s eyes widen in surprise. “Really.”

“Truly?” The noblewoman whispered back.

Catching Xena’s warning glower, Gabrielle merely nodded in affirmation, almost smiling when she saw the woman look at the queen with startled yet grateful eyes.

Xena eased the door open, then just as quickly shut it when she heard boots rasping against the steps. “Ah.. into every life a little blood must fall.” She pushed Gabrielle and the lady to one side and drew her sword, flipping it over one hand and waiting, her other hand resting lightly on the door. “Shut up, don’t move.”

Gabrielle sighed, biting her lower lip and grimacing.

Xena looked at her. For a brief second, their eyes met. Xena’s then narrowed. “You know something?” She growled softly. “You’re a pain in my ass, Gabrielle.”

The slave blinked, then blinked again as the queen sheathed her sword.

The door opened, and two men entered the hallway, passing the three silent women as the continued their conversation in utter oblivion.  Xena waited for them to clear her body, then she twisted and lashed out with one booted foot, kicking both men in the back of the head in rapid succession.

With a crash, they fell to the floor senseless.

Xena snorted in amusement. “But on the other hand..” She grabbed the noble woman by the sleeve and shoved her towards the door. “That was a lot of fun.”  She turned to get Gabrielle, but the slave was already sliding past her, and to her surprise fingers tangled with her own for just an instant and squeezed them.

Xena felt the warmth encompass her hand, sending a tingle up her arm before it was gone and she was watching Gabrielle’s shoulders retreat in front of her.

With a half grin, Xena followed them into the stairwell, quickly taking the lead again as they moved downward. They reached the bottom of the steps, then her senses warned her and she grabbed her two charges, pulling them back with her against the wall behind the curve of the stairs.

The outer door burst open, and a squad of soldiers rushed inside, clattering up the steps with an air of urgency. They drew their weapons as they ran, the metal blades scraping against the stone.

Xena kept her back pressed against the wall, an arm around the other two women. She could feel the rigid stiffness of Lastay’s wife on one side, and, far more pleasant, Gabrielle’s slim form relaxing against her on the other.

Remaining silent was the key. She watched the last soldier mount the steps and willed him not to look down.

He stumbled, his hands busy trying to pull his sword from it’s hip mounted sheath.  With a curse, he paused, yanking the weapon free and glancing around in furtive embarrassment. His eyes dropped lower, into the shadows at the foot of the stairs, and he squinted in the low light.

“Hey! Moron! Move it!” A voice called from above.

With another curse, the soldier abandoned what he thought he saw, and started trotting up the steps.

Xena relaxed slightly, waiting until she heard the door open at the top of the steps, and the men’s boots hit the carpet on the other side. Then she started forward, reaching the door just as she heard the first yell of discovery from the upper floor. “Move.” She ordered, yanking the door open and herding them through it, closing it behind them and throwing the latch.

The court beyond was empty, and Xena crossed it as fast as she could, hearing faint calls and running feet off in the distance. There was no doubt in her mind that the alarm was raised, and she focused on getting out of the castle and back to the horses before the stronghold erupted into a beehive of angry activity.

At the wall, she slowed as the inner door started to open, reaching for her sword in a single smooth motion as she kicked the portal wide with the toe of one boot.

A hawk’s head appeared, and she relaxed, giving the man a nod as he jumped out of her way and cleared the entrance for them. Xena swung the door shut and sheathed her weapon, glad to see the two other guards she’d posted running towards her. “Everyone here?”

“Mistress, the alarm is raised!” The closer of the two men uttered. “I heard the guard captain running to the gates…”

“All the more reason for us to run the other way.” Xena shoved them towards the outer doors. “Move it.. move it..” She grabbed Lastay’s woman and threw her into the arms of the largest of the men. “Put her over your shoulder.”

“Majesty!” The woman gasped in protest, squealing softly as the soldier did his mistresses bidding.  Xena grabbed her jaw, now upside down, and squeezed it.

“Shut up.” The queen growled. “I didn’t come here to die.”

With a quivering lip, the woman obeyed. Xena guided Gabrielle out in front of her, and they sped to the door. It swung open wide as they reached it, Brendan’s head anxiously appearing as he heard them.

“Move. Move. Move.” Xena barked very softly. “Out, and run.”

They cleared the doors and bolted, Brendan dousing the torches that lit the exterior as he slammed the doors shut. Darkness flowed over them as they ran off the stone path into the brush, the cold air blowing over them and carrying the sounds of growing activity to their ears from behind.

But Xena knew they were home free. Evgast’s guards would be all over the castle now, searching there before they attempted to look outside. And when they tried that….

Her sensitive ears cocked, catching the sound of furious banging.  She chuckled, putting a hand on Gabrielle’s back as the slave ran just in front of her.  The darkness cloaked them totally now, only the soft rustle of their footsteps betraying their position.

They’d done it.  Xena exhaled, only aware at that moment how tense she’d been. A gentle shiver went through her body, and she felt a distinct shakiness in her knees that both annoyed and surprised her.  It hadn’t been that long, had it?

“Got the hay wagons parked right up against the barn doors, Mistress.” The tall blond soldier told her. “Won’t be comin after us sooner.”

“Good work.” The queen told him shortly.

“Easy job, with you here, Mistress.” Brendan commented. “All we did was stand and look pretty.”

Xena flashed back to that moment she looked death in the eye, and Gabrielle came by and poked it for her. “Yeah.” She snorted. “Piece of baklava.”  She eyed the slim, blond woman running at her side, a faint fog of breath visible from her slightly open lips.  “With all sorts of unexpected nuts and honey in it, too.”

Gabrielle glanced at her, hitching up a little as her foot caught on some scrub and she almost fell. “Yipe!”

Xena latched on to the back of her tunic, giving her a droll look as she pulled her upright again.

**

They made their way down the rocky slope, quite a bit faster than they’d gone up it. Brendan paused at the top and looked back the way they came, before he scrambled down to where the horses were tied up. “No torches following. Mistress.”

“Good.” Xena untied her big black stallion. “C’mere.” She pulled Gabrielle forward, then unexpectedly grabbed her around the waist and hoisted her up onto the horse. “In front. I don’t want to risk cutting your pretty little head off if I have to fight.”

Gabrielle held on to the front of the saddle, leaning forward as the queen put her hands on the saddlehorn and back and vaulted up behind her.  She felt the immediate warmth of Xena’s body pressing against her, and decided she sort of liked the change of position when the queen wrapped her arms around her and took the reins in her hands.

She was glad they were back on the horses. She was glad they were out of the castle.  Gabrielle found her mind full of so many things to think about it was hard to concentrate on any of them. Her legs ached, both from the running and the riding, and her lips were roughened by the wind that now picked up again as the they started off.

Okay. She exhaled, wincing at the jolt against her thighs as the horse broke into a trot. Lastay’s wife was being held side saddle by one of the men, and she didn’t look like it was any more comfortable though so she supposed that riding was just something you had to get used to.

Just one more thing she had to get used to.  Gabrielle slowly let out a long breath, looking down at the strong hands clasped in front of her. After a moment of stillness, she shifted her grip from the saddle to cover Xena’s fingers with her own.

“Hey.” The queens’ voice sounded, low and vibrant behind her head. “Amuse me. What are you thinking about this time?”

Gabrielle turned and peered up at her, barely able to distinguish her features in the darkness. “Am I really a pain in your ass?” She asked.

Xena rested her chin against Gabrielle’s disheveled hair. “Yeah.” She said. “But you’re cute and I’m stuck on you, so I’ll give you a break this time.”

They rode in silence for a few minutes. “I just…” Gabrielle finally spoke up. “I just don’t believe hurting people is the only way.”  She admitted softly. “Violence isn’t the answer to everything.”

The queen exhaled audibly. “That’s because you’re a young, clueless shepherd kid who doesn’t know a damn thing about life.”

Gabrielle considered the truth of that statement. “Maybe.” She said. “But I knew enough not to want you to lose yours.”   Her voice sounded sad, and her shoulders slumped. “For what that was worth.”

Xena craned her head around and peered at her little blond enigma. She kept hurting Gabrielle, and a part of her recognized the fact uneasily.  She didn’t want to, at least she didn’t think she wanted to, but she was who she was, and Xena knew enough about herself to know that wasn’t something she was willing or able to change.

Gabrielle shifted her hands back to the saddle, and straightened up, moving away from her a little.

Xena didn’t like that. She frowned, realizing that she wanted Gabrielle to like her and wanted the girl to want to be with her.  She didn’t want to drive her away, like she had everyone else.

But she was, and she knew it.  The problem was that it hurt to think that a lot more than she’d ever anticipated it would. Changing it would mean changing herself, and Xena knew for sure she didn’t want to do that, either.

The queen studied the back of Gabrielle’s head pensively. Or did she?   A cold gust of wind blew against her chest, where Gabrielle no longer warmed it and the answer to her question came to her with power she hadn’t expected.

“Gabrielle.”

The slave looked up at her again, waiting quietly.

“It was worth everything to me.” Xena tasted the honesty in her own words. “Thank you.” She released the reins with one hand and settled it onto Gabrielle’s shoulder. “I’m an old, old hound, my friend. I don’t’ think new tricks are easy for me anymore.”

Gabrielle gazed at her, gray shadows melting from her eyes once again. “Well…” She replied hesitantly. “I guess that makes me just a puppy who doesn’t know any tricks. Maybe we can kind of trade off?”

Xena felt a very unexpected smile appear on her face. “Yeah, maybe.” She agreed, with a touch of huskiness in her voice. “Maybe we can.”  Her eyes dipped down to meet the slave’s, drinking  in the warmth she now found there.

She wanted that. Xena slid her arm around Gabrielle’s waist and tightened her grip, feeling the girl nestle against her. It made her feel good.  She strongly suspected it also made Gabrielle feel good, if the unconscious grin on the girl’s face was any indication.  

How far would they both be willing to go to keep this? It was a question Xena knew she didn’t have an answer for.

Yet.

They reached the road, and headed home, high spirits evident as Brendan started a bawdy road song, and the men all joined in, rough voices rising up to be whipped away by the wind as they rode.

**

Xena stared into the fireplace, watching the hypnotic flicker of the flames as they consumed a fresh stack of logs newly made inside it’s depths.  She was dressed in a warm, woolen robe having bathed and taken off her armor and she was enjoying the feel of the soft dry fabric against her skin.

Lastay’s wife was seated in one of the stiffly brocaded public chairs on the other side of her audience chamber, exhausted and grubby but grateful. “Majesty…” She spoke up suddenly.

“Yeah?” Xena shifted her attention, letting her head rest propped up on one fist.

“I owe you a great debt.”

Xena gave her a brief smile. “Nice family you’ve got.” She commented.

The woman exhaled, instinctively putting a hand up to move a bit of hair from her forehead. “M’lord Evgast is a very strong minded man, as your Majesty surely knows.”

“He’s a jackass.” Xena responded mildly. “And your husband’s a bigger one for not coming forward before he did and letting me know about it.”

The woman didn’t answer, her silence speaking volumes. 

Xena crossed her ankles and wished Gabrielle would hurry up and get back.  As though in answer to her royal whim, a soft knock came at the outer door. “Come.” She fastened her eyes on the door and felt a smile twitch at her lips as it opened and a blond head appeared.

Gabrielle pushed the door all the way open and stood back, to allow Duke Lastay to enter.  He spotted his wife and bolted for her with a glad cry as she jumped up and ran to his arms. The joy in his voice was honest and unfeigned, and she had to smile on hearing it.

She closed the door and turned, to see Xena watching her. The blue eyes drew her forward, and she trudged across the room on truly aching legs to the queen’s side.  With a tired sigh, she settled onto the low stool near the regal chair and wished she could just go wash off and lie down.

Xena reached over and tugged on her ear.

Gabrielle straightened, and looked over at her.

“You look like my horse sat on you.” The queen remarked conversationally. “Go take a bath.”

“Majesty.” Lastay interrupted, drawing the queen’s attention as he crossed the room and dropped to his knees before her. “You have gifted me beyond my worth.”  He touched his forehead to the ground near her feet, his voice quavering with emotion.

Xena debated booting him in the head. Then she sighed, allowing that since she’d gone through all the trouble of ingratiating him to her, kicking him in the face would waste all that effort. “Next time, trust me.” She said. “Don’t hedge your bets.”

Lastay looked up at her. “Gabrielle told me it was you, yourself, who freed her, risking all for it.”  He said, his voice a curiously raw whisper. There was a new light in his eyes, too, that she’d never seen there before.

“That’s right.” Xena said. “You know what they say, you want it done right, do it yourself.” She added, lightly. “Got a problem with that?”

“No, majesty.” Lastay answered. “May I speak of it to others?”

“Sure.” The queen replied. “Now take your woman and get the Hades out of here. I’ve got things to attend to.”  She paused. “And be ready for court tomorrow. No smirking.”

Lastay got to his feet and bowed deeply, then backed away from her, holding his hand out for his lady. “We will be ready, my liege. That I promise you.”  He waited for her to join him, then surprisingly, he scooped her up into his arms and executed yet another bow, before he made his way to the door and slipped through it.

“Huh.” Xena felt a sense of distinct pleasure at the adulation. “Y’know, Gabrielle, I didn’t peg him for a romantic. I thought he married her for her lands and to give him reasonably good looking kids.”

Gabrielle had been leaning against the chair, and now she looked up. “He was really worried.” She told the queen. “It was such a nice feeling to be able to tell him his wife was okay. He was so excited.”

“Mm.” Xena smiled to herself.

“He really thinks you’re so amazing for doing it yourself.” The slave added, her fingers tangling with the end of the tie that held Xena’s robe closed. “He said he knew you said you’d take care of it, but he never expected you to go and..um… “

“Do it.” Xena exhaled. “Yeah… well…” She reviewed the night. “It felt good.”

“I wasn’t surprised.”

“You weren’t, huh?” Xena gave in to her impulse and began to stroke Gabrielle’s hair. “Did you tell him some wild ass story?”

“No.” Gabrielle felt the exhaustion begin to overtake her. She shifted her hand from the tie to Xena’s leg, wanting to feel the warm strength of her. “I just told him the truth.”

Xena suddenly wanted that hug. She got up, taking Gabrielle’s hand and pulling her up, too. Once the slave was standing, the queen folded her arms around her and savored the moment as Gabrielle returned the squeeze willingly.  She had taken her overtunic off, and was in her shirt and leggings and Xena could feel the warmth of her body penetrate the robe she was wearing.

She rubbed Gabrielle’s back. “C’mon, ya little muskrat.”

“M’not a muskrat.” Gabrielle kept her arms around Xena.

“Gotta argue about everything, doncha?” Xena closed the door to the inner chamber behind them, then stopped in surprise. The thick fur rug in front of the fireplace was set with crystal and china, and a platter of wonderful smelling food and a bottle of wine stood off to one side waiting.  Candles lit the room, lending a romantic touch to a chamber she ‘d thought she’d left barren and empty not that long ago. “Where in Hades did this all come from?”

Gabrielle cleared her throat gently, ducking her head slightly and blushing.

Xena looked at her.  

“I… um..” Gabrielle said. “Thought maybe you’d like it.”

Xena blinked at the scene, reviewing her treatment of her young companion over the course of the night and realizing all she probably deserved was a lump of coal and a cup of midden water. “Woof.” She muttered under her breath, turning and lacing her fingers behind Gabrielle’s neck. “Know what?”

“What?” Gabrielle murmured.

“I do like it.” Xena tilted her head and gave Gabrielle a heartfelt kiss. “But I think it’s you who really deserves it. C’mon.” She drew the slave close, and guided her towards the bathing room. “First, let’s get you into something more comfortable.”

If she’d really been a puppy, Gabrielle mused, her tail would have really been wiggling, even as tired as she was.   

Tired as she was, she wanted the comfort of Xena’s embrace. Blood or no blood, she wanted the touch of the queen’s hands on her, and the feel of her breath against her skin, and the closeness that was her only anchor in a very scary world.

Xena kissed the top of her head in simple affection.

Wiggle.

**

Gabrielle opened her eyes, gazing sleepily across the big room to the pink tinted windows. She was curled up under the soft, fluffy comforter, snuggled up against Xena’s body with her head resting on the queen’s shoulder.

It felt…  Gabrielle felt the pressure of Xena’s arm, which was draped lightly over her shoulders. It felt different than anything else she’d ever known, that’s for sure. She could, for just a moment, put out of her head the fact that Xena was who she was and simply revel in the feeling of acceptance she got waking up in the queen’s embrace.

It was worth the down side. Gabrielle rubbed the side of her thumb absently across Xena’s bare skin, just above her navel.  She was convinced that the queen really did like her… in fact, she felt in her heart that Xena loved her, in her own way just as she knew she really did love Xena.

Xena cared about what she thought. Gabrielle remembered the moment in the castle the night before when the queen had turned her back on her mission just to come over and reassure her.  Her own parents had never cared about what she thought. No one she’d ever known had cared about what she thought.

But Xena cared.

She mattered to Xena. That was why, even though some of the things the queen did horrified her, Gabrielle wanted to stay with her, be with her… to be able to wake up like this and know that she was an important part of someone else’s life.

It was really sort of selfish, she acknowledged.  But it was also true. 

The pink light in the window increased, and Gabrielle sighed, knowing her snuggling would be coming to an end shortly as the day began.  She hoped the day would be a good one.

She felt Xena start to wake up, the queen’s body stirring and taking on a tension as her heartbeat picked up under Gabrielle’s ear.  She found herself looking forward to Xena’s voice, despite it’s often caustic edge and seeing her pretty blue eyes as soon as they opened.

“Mm.” Xena rumbled softly. “Hey there, muskrat.”

Muskrat. Gabrielle sighed inwardly. “Xena?”

“Yeeees?” The queen scratched her back with the tips of her fingers, tracing a path down Gabrielle’s spine with her thumb.

“What is a muskrat?”

Xena chuckled softly.

“I mean – I’ve been called silly stuff before, like chipmunk, but at least I know what that is.” Gabrielle went on. “So, what is a muskrat, and why do I remind you of one?”

“Chipmunk?” Xena queried, cocking her head to study Gabrielle’s disheveled, yet adorable features.

The girl nodded, one hand lifting up to touch her own cheek. “When I was little…”

“You were littler?” Xena teased, with a smile.

“Okay, when I was younger, I had really chubby cheeks.” Gabrielle explained. “So they called me chipmunk.. squirrel…you know.” She paused. “Or do you know?”

“Ahh.”  Xena stroked her face with surprisingly gentle fingers. “You don’t look like a muskrat. I just like the sound of it.”  She told the slave. “But they’re sorta cute. Kind of like big rats with pretty fur.”  She added. “And I was called a lot of things in my younger years, but none of them are anything you’d wanna hear about.”

“Oh.” Gabrielle replied, in a soft voice. “Guess it was worse than chipmunk, huh?”

“Uh huh.”  Xena pulled her closer, taking a deep breath as their bodies pressed against each other. “Bitch, whore… beast…  scum.”  She recited. “I think I remember being called a neutered whorebitch once… that was pretty special.”

“Uh.”

Xena smiled briefly, gazing out over Gabrielle’s head. “Well, I’d just drawn and quartered the guy’s father. Can’t blame him, really.”  She said. “It was my thirteenth birthday, and I’d just started cycling. Lousy day all around.”

Gabrielle lifted her head and just stared, goggle eyed at her bedmate.

Xena shrugged.

“I think the most exciting thing that happened to me before the slavers came…” Gabrielle said. “Was our creek flooding and dumping six sheep and the chicken coop inside our bedroom.”

“Mm.” The queen chuckled. “Breakfast in bed the hard way.”

It struck Gabrielle as funny, and she started laughing.

Xena blinked, as the light, joyful sound filled the room. She decided she liked it, and she hugged Gabrielle a little, smiling as the girl hugged her back.  “All right. Enough jokes before breakfast.”  She released her hold, and Gabrielle eased away from her, straightening out.

“Yow!” Gabrielle released a surprised yelp as she stretched her legs. They felt like two twisted breadsticks, and as she moved them, a jolt of pain went right up into her groin. “Great Hera!”

Xena rolled over, putting a concerned hand on her shoulder. “What is it? I didn’t bite you that hard last night, did I?”

“Buf… no.” Gabrielle grimaced, reaching for her thighs. “Ow.”

“Ah.” Xena  sat up, the silk sheets falling away from her naked body as she twisted around and slid her hand on the underside of Gabrielle’s leg. “My pony virgin. That’s right.”  She could feel the knots under her hands already. “Lay back down.”

Gabrielle stopped trying to sit up, and relaxed back onto her elbows as Xena’s hands slid up her thighs. The morning light poured in the window and bathed her naked form, almost making Gabrielle forget completely about the ache in her legs as she absorbed the sight.

The long, powerful fingers worked at the muscles in her legs, easing the knots and sending little jolts of a completely different sensation through her as the queen’s hands worked up from her knees. The ache eased, though whether it was what Xena was doing, or just the fact that she was doing it causing that she wasn’t at all sure.

Gabrielle was suddenly conscious of the studious concern scrawled across Xena’s features, her brow tensing as she worked, relieving what surely the queen must view as a silly complaint with the same quiet skill as she’d used in caring for Gabrielle’s injuries after her near capture.

“Xena?”

The pale blue eyes glanced up at her.

“Thanks.”

Xena’s hands kept up their kneading as she regarded Gabrielle, her dark head cocked slightly to one side. “For what?”

The girl’s eyes dropped. “That.” She indicated the queen’s fingers. “I know you think it’s kind of…wimpy… don’t you?”

Xena looked down, her face a study in mild puzzlement. “Wimpy?” She eased Gabrielle’s right leg straight, and went to work on the left one. “Gabrielle, not being able to walk because you can’t put your knees together isn’t wimpy.” She chuckled. “I remember my first experience with riding horses… I got stuck on one riding from sunup to sundown, without a break. I couldn’t walk for two days after that.”

Gabrielle wiggled the toes on her right foot, the cramps feeling a lot better now. “Oh.”

“Didn’t have anyone to do this.” Xena went on, in a quieter tone.

Gabrielle looked at her. “You do now.”

Xena’s eyes lifted, and met hers. A grin tugged at the corners of her lips. “Hm.” She mused. “That’d almost be worth learning to ride all over again.” She leaned over and kissed Gabrielle on the inside of her thigh, listening for, and hearing the soft intake of Gabrielle’s breath. “You know something, Gabrielle?”

Gabrielle took in an uneven breath. “What?”

Xena put her hands on either side of Gabrielle’s hips and leaned forward, peering down at her like a large and hungry, if appealingly naked cat. “You are the first person I’ve ever known who I’ve even had the slightest desire to do that to.” She ducked her head and kissed Gabrielle on the navel. “Must be love.”

Gabrielle looked up at her, trying to catch her breath as her body caught on fire. All she could see was someone she felt so strongly for it overshadowed all her knowledge of what Xena was. “Must be.” She whispered, reaching up to run her fingers through Xena’s hair.

Must be.

Their lips met, and Gabrielle realized that, at the very least, she wasn’t going to have to worry about walking yet for a while.

Which was just fine by her. 

**

Continued - Part 9