Moving Target

Part 33

The world intruded itself into her dreams, pleasant and formlessthings of warmth and seashore that she allowed to slip free and be replacedwith the comforting feel of Dar’s body pressed against hers and the sound ofthe air conditioning compressor cycling on and off.

Ah. It was nice to wake up with someone, that’s for sure.Kerry slowly let her eyes drift open, taking in the sunlight as her gaze fellto the bedside clock.  Muffling acurse she started to bolt upright, only to be held in place by Dar’s arm.“Augh!” She squawked.

“Saturday.” Dar’s voice enunciated clearly, from about aninch away from her ear.

“Buh.” Kerry slumped back down into the bed, closing hereyes and willing her heartbeat to stop trying to give her a nosebleed. “Son ofa bitch.”

Dar settled back down behind her, one arm still clamped firmlyaround Kerry’s middle. “Had a feeling you were going to jump.”

“Urgh.” Kerry moaned. “My head’s spinning.” She said. “Ihate waking up like that.”

Dar kissed the back of her neck.

“Now, waking up like that, on the other hand…” Kerry purred. “Is another story.”

“Are we waking up?” Dar queried. “It’s not that late.”

Kerry eyed the placidly gleaming clock, which was edgingpast ten am. For them, it was late, and Dar knew that, since they generally gotup around six am.  Even onweekends, it was rare when they stayed in bed past eight. “Where’s Chino?”

“Already let her out.”

“Ah.” Kerry pondered that. “How long have you been up?”

“A little while.” Dar admitted. “I was just enjoying layinghere being a bum.”

Kerry rolled over onto her back, gaining an appealing viewof her partner’s profile. Shaggy, dark locks spilled everywhere out of control,prompting Kerry to rake them into a little better order with one hand. “Youneed a haircut.”

“How about a Mohawk??” Dar suggested amiably. “That’d sparkup the Monday morning meeting, huh?”

Kerry studied her, then she lifted a few thick thatches ofhair up over Dar’s head and reviewed the results. She released the hair, thenruffled it. “No.”

“No, huh?”

“No.” Kerry shook her head positively. “Do you know  how much paperwork that’d cost us, withme having to fill out personnel incidents every ten minutes because I bitchslapped someone for commenting on your hair?”

“Hm.”

“Mariana would flip out.”

“Oh well.” Dar conceded. “I guess it’s just a trim again,then. Everything else I’ve ever tried with this mop has pretty much ended uplooking like I stuck my thumb into a 110 socket.”

“It’s so wavy.” Kerry agreed, fluffing out Dar’s bangs. “Ilike it.”

Dar smiled. “Glad you do.”  She said. “Like the color?”

“Sure.”

“Don’t want me to change it?”

Kerry’s brows hiked sharply. “To what?” She asked. “Green?”

“Hm.”

“No, it’s pretty. I like it this color.” Kerry addedseriously. “It makes your eyes stand out.”

“They’re like weird little blue marbles. They’d stick outanyway.” Dar drawled.

“You’re so funny.” Kerry chuckled.

Dar grinned at her.

Kerry grinned back. “I guess we’re up now, huh?” She mused.“I haven’t slept this late in forever.” She stifled a yawn, and stretched herbody out, exhaling with a slight chuckle as Dar traced a teasing line up thecenter of her stomach. “Ooo.”

“I was never a late sleeper.” Dar admitted.

“I  never wassupposed to be.” Kerry wriggled a little closer. “Even on weekends, you weren’tallowed to slothabed in my father’s house, that’s for sure.”  She picked up Dar’s hand and examinedit, running her fingers along the palm. “So when I moved down here, boy, did Ilove weekends.”

“But you don’t sleep late on weekends.” Dar objected. “Don’tyou want to?”

A faint smile crossed Kerry’s face. “Well.. I thought aboutthat the other week.” She said. “I guess the thing is, I love my life so muchnow, sleeping seems like a waste of time.” She looked up at Dar. “It’s muchmore fun to be awake.”

Dar’s face lit up, visible even with the sunlight pouringthrough the blinds.  She held herhand out to Kerry. “So lets go live, then. I think someone’s Fedexingcoffee.” 

They scrambled out of bed, and were joined by a friskingChino as they walked into the living room and were dappled with yet moresunlight pouring in the sliding glass doors. “Oo..pretty day.” Kerry duckedinto the laundry room and snagged two long tshirts, tossing one to Dar as shepulled the other over her head.

Dar opened the back door for Chino, then she wandered overand started messing with the coffee machine. “Know what I want?”

Kerry closed her eyes and put one finger against herforehead. “Uhmm….. scrambled eggs on cinnamon toast?” She opened therefrigerator and started removing objects from it. “Am I close?”

“Heh.” Her partner snorted. “That, and you, but what I wasgoing to say is that I want one of those spiffy automatic coffee makers we sawat the trade show. The one with the little cartridges?” Dar held her thumb andfinger up about two inches apart.

“The one cup thing with all the choices?” Kerry asked.“Ooo.. yeah, that had good coffee. Can we get it  plumbed in here? What about one for the cabin? Do they comein colors?”

Dar started chuckling, as she pressed the button to startthe coffee brewing. “I’ll check.”

“I think a blue one for here..and a green one for the cabinwould be cool.” Kerry set out a handful of eggs, and retrieved her favoritegrill pan from the hanging rack just over the stove.  “Grab me some OJ?”

“Sure.” Dar opened the door and removed the specifiedbottle, setting it on the counter and retrieving two glasses to put down nextto it.  Her shoulder bumped the lcdscreen mounted to the cabinet, and she glanced up at it as it turned on andblinked at her.

Nothing was on the screen, so she nudged it aside and pouredout the juice, handing Kerry hers and leaning against the counter to consumeher own.

Orange juice was all right, she decided as she watched Kerryneatly crack her eggs. Apple juice was better, and she really preferred whitegrape juice, but both were too sweet for Kerry’s tastes in the morning, so sheaccepted the orange beverage as well.

Life was full of compromises. Kerry got up early on weekendsto make her breakfast, she had orange juice, they both took a step towards themiddle and each other and maybe in the process discovered what had been hardand fast rules really weren’t.

Maybe that was why she was now willing to let this one go.Dar pondered the thought. Let  thisbid go, and just recoup what she could instead of going after Quest and movingheaven and earth to get him.. to stop him.. to make him pay for playing her fora fool.

“Honey?” Kerry glanced over. “Stop making bubbles in yourjuice. It sounds weird.”

“Sorry.” Dar finished the beverage and set the glass down.“Why don’t I..  whoops.”  A blinking light on the screen hadcaught her attention. “Huh.. he hasn’t done that in a while.” She reached overand clicked the light, since they’d turned off the voice commands to keep thesystem from responding whenever they talked to each other. “Alastair.”

“Oh?”

The picture box opened, revealing Alastair’s face. He was inhis home office, she was surprised to note, and then she realized it wasSaturday in Houston as well as in Miami. “Morning, Alastair.”

“Morning Dar!”

“Hi, Alastair.” Kerry called out, keeping her attentionfirmly on her frying pan. “I owe you a bottle of something very expensive.”

“Ah..” Alastair peered around, not able to see Kerry who wasout of camera shot. “Well, thanks, Kerry.. ah.. did I do something to deserveit?”

“Yes.” Kerry responded, but didn’t go further.

Dar realized Alastair didn’t, in fact, know that they knewwhat he’d said the day before. “You probably don’t know it, but yourconversation with Mr. Meyer yesterday was being broadcast to an audience ofhundreds.” She told him. “Including Kerry and myself.”

Alastair blinked, then turned a bit red. “Ah. Well.” Hecleared his throat. “Y’know, I thought about that after, and Dar, I hope youdidn’t think I meant you were an idiot when I..”

Dar chuckled and waved a hand. “Thanks for standing by us,Alastair.” She overrode him. “Made my day.”

“Ahah. Yes, well.” Her boss seemed abashed. “Well, thefellow was a stinker,  you know,Dar? Make my hackles go from the start, and he got me at a bad time.”

“Meeting?” Dar hazarded.

“Eh? No.” Alastair said. “Caught my thumb in the car door.”

“Ow. Sorry.”

Alastair went silent for a moment, apparently absorbing thelast bit of news. “Thought you might call me last night to give the scoop.” Hesaid, casually.

Now it was Dar’s turn to feel abashed. “Yeah, sorry.” Shemuttered. “We got home late.” 

“Yes? So what happened?” Alastair asked, curiously. “Been onmy mind all night.”

Oh. Ugh.  Dar tooka seat on one of the stools and hooked her feet on the rungs. “Well, nothinggood, to be honest.” She admitted. “After you blew off Meyer, I found out he’dstaged the whole damn thing and everyone and their grandfather was watching itoutside the office we were in.”

“Tch.”

“So then Quest showed up.”

“He’s quite an interesting fellow.” Alastair remarked. “Didyou know his father was a ringmaster in the circus?”

Kerry snorted softly. “Well, now doesn’t that explain a few things.”

“Eh?”

“How did you know that, Alastair?” Dar asked. “You know thisguy?”

“Believe it or not, the wife does.” Her boss admitted. “Fifth cousin’s third uncle’sstepson, or something like that. Called me up once and asked me to give him ajob. Had no skills, no prospects.. had to turn him down, unfortunately.” Headded. “Realized it was the same chap just the other day.”

Kerry turned her head and looked at Dar.

“Interesting.” Dar said. “Well, he showed up, we told him wewere all finished, and the bastard took off and ran.”

“Eh?’

Dar clasped her hands between her knees and looked at herboss. “He took his ships, and left. Apparently it was him who was scamming allof us, including Meyer. He did it to get the upgrades.. he’s selling the damnthings to some hotel consortium over in the EU.”

Alastair’s jaw dropped. Literally.

Kerry peeked around into camera range. “That was kind of howwe felt, too.”

“Buh.” The ILS CEO spluttered. “Good god, Dar! He took us?For all that?”

Dar nodded.

“And we.. you.. we.. just let him go?”

Dar’s brows quirked. “Alastair, I love the company, and you,but standing in the way of a forty thousand ton ship ain’t my idea of how togo.”

“B..”

“We’re going to track them down over in Europe.” Kerry cutin. “I’m sure legal can do something.”

“All the good that’ll do.. Jesus, it’ll cost twice what wespent..” The CEO’s voice trailed off. “My god.”

“Everyone was in the same boat.” Dar muttered. “He justscammed us, Alastair. I knew it was some kind of rig, but one inside anotherone.. “ She ended up just shrugging uncomfortably.

“Well, I’ll be a son of a bitch.” Alastair finally said,after staring at her in silence for a few seconds. “I’ll be a son of a bitch.”He seemed at a loss. “Ah, well.. you know, funny thing there, Dar.. but thatMeyer fellow called me back last night. Didn’t say boo about all that!”

Kerry finished the eggs, and scooted them neatly onto thepieces of toast she had ready. “Jerk.” She muttered under her breath. “Wonder what he wanted?”

“Really?” Dar shifted, leaning back against the counter.

Alastair now seemed a touch embarrassed. “He apologized, youknow.” He said. “Said he’d been under some horrible pressure, you know thestory.”

“Uh huh.”

Alastair watched her face, as though judging something.“Say, listen, Dar.”

“Here it comes.” But Dar half smiled, a touch of wryness inher expression. “What did he want, Alastair?”

Kerry picked up a piece of toast and walked over, handing itto Dar as she leaned on the counter next to her.  It occurred to her that both she and her partner werewearing almost nothing, and that they were talking to their big boss, and howinappropriate it all was, but after all.. he had called them, hadn’t he?’

“Ah.” Alastair glanced at her. “Well, listen, he told mehe’s going to try to salvage something out of this whole mess, and I guess weall are, huh?”

“Mm.” Dar grunted.

“So he wants to do a little wrap up with you, and the restof those fellows, just to see what they can come up with.” The CEO said. “Andhey, he did say you’d scooped em.. be good for us, huh?”

Ugh. “I don’t want to give him a damn thing.” Dar said.

“Well, Dar…”

“Did you tell him I’d do it?”

“Me?” Alastair pointed at his own chest. “Lady, were you notlistening to that phone call? I gave off trying to tell you to do things tenyears ago. I just.. well, I just told him I’d ask, that’s all.”

“He’s a skunk, Alastair.” Kerry chimed in.

Dar glowered at the camera.

“Be some kind of offset, y’know, when I have to tell theboard about this fiasco.” Her boss reminded her, gently. “Not gonna be fun,Dar.”

No. That was true enough. “I know.” Dar said. “And I wish Icould tell you I have a magic answer to how we’re going to recoup that money,but honestly, Alastair, I can’t.”

“Ah.”

Damn it. Dar sighed. “Guess some good publicity won’t hurt.”She conceded. “I’ll try to come off as intelligent as possible given I wastaken in just like the rest of them were.”

Alastair looked marginally happier. “Well, good  decision, Dar.” He said. “Andhey..  I’m sure we’ll come up withsomething to tell the board.. won’t we?” He gave her a wry look. “He’s going tocall you tomorrow. See what you can get out of it, huh?”

“Okay.” Dar conceded. “Do my best.”

“Always do, Dar. Always do.” Alastair gave her a moresympathetic look. “You two have a great day, huh?” 

“You too, Alastair.” Kerry said. “Sorry we couldn’t make itcome out better.”

Alastair waved a hand at them, then the picture went off,leaving the kitchen in silence. Dar sighed, and started chewing on her egg sandwich. “Wasn’t as bad as Iexpected.” She said.

The nonchalance didn’t fool Kerry a bit. She gave herpartner a one armed hug, and a kiss on the cheek. “We’ll make it look good.After all, we did  save all theirbutts, didn’t we?”

“Bah.”

Kerry gave her another, longer hug.

**

Dar lay sprawled across the couch, ostensibly reading amagazine. It was a diving magazine, and she usually enjoyed them, glad of achance just to kick back and read about someone elses obsession for a while.

In fact, they usually gave her ideas for vacations, and she’dpondered asking Kerry if she wanted to do one of the liveaboard dive cruises insome exotic place more than once. Fiji, maybe. Or Palau.  Itwas just one more in a list of things she wanted to do with her partner, andshe’d come to realize that at some level her growing dissatisfaction with workwas related to her resenting their not being able to just go and do stuff likethat.

Dar flipped the page, and gazed at an inquisitive seal,caught in mid bark.  She’d alwayswanted to dive with animals, but somehow, her trips over to the other coast hadnever seemed to have enough extra time for that.

A soft sound made her look up and over at Kerry, who wasdraped over the loveseat doing absolutely nothing but relaxing. She had herhands folded over her stomach, and her eyes closed and she appeared supremelycontented to be doing nothing more than occupying a comfortable spot just nearenough to Dar for her to touch if she reached out.

Dar reached out and stroked Kerry’s hair with herfingertips.

A green pupil appeared and peered curiously at her. “SusanB. Anthony dollar for your thoughts?” Kerry said. “Magazine boring?”

Dar lifted one shoulder expressively. “My head’s justwandering.” She said. “I keep reading the same paragraph over and over again.I’m over it.”

Kerry flopped over onto her side so she could see Darbetter. “Something bothering you?”

Dar didn’t answer.

Kerry waited, her head resting on the loveseat arm as shereached down and gave Chino’s head a pat. She already knew the answer, and infact, she was pretty sure she knew the answer behind the answer, because shewas bothered by it too.

“Pah.” Dar set the magazine down. “I’m gonna go take Chinofor a walk.”

Chino jumped up and came over to her, tail wagging as sherecognized the word.  She nudgedDar’s knees as she stood, and followed her to the door, then out and down thesteps as they left the condo.

Kerry considered joining them, but then she reconsidered,reckoning that her partner needed a little space. Dar usually signaled thatpretty clearly, and usually it took the form of her going out onto the beach towander a little by herself.

In the early days of their relationship, that would haveintimidated Kerry a little.  Evenlater on, she’d felt a sense of apprehension when Dar had taken up one of herfunks, and it had taken her a long time before she’d come to understand thatwhen it happened, it wasn’t that Dar was mad at her.

Most often, Dar was mad at Dar, and she knew if Kerry wasaround, she couldn’t be mad at herself for long because Kerry would nibble awayat her mood until it evaporated. Sometimes, Dar just needed to stew a little,Kerry had learned, and when she was ready to be humored, she’d show back up andfind a spot somewhere near where Kerry was.

So Kerry decided to stay where she was now, and she pickedup Dar’s discarded diving magazine and began to flip through it. “Oo.” Shemurmured. “Palau. Man.. look at those fish.”  She read the article with more than a touch of envy. “How inthe heck do these people all take off weeks and weeks to go out on those boats?Don’t’ they work?”

It wasn’t as though the people in the picture were retiredvacationers, either. They were all around her age. “Hmph.” She shook her headand turned the page. “Man, I wish we could do that. For like two or threeweeks, just to out there and see everything… that would be so cool.”

So why didn’t they? A reasonable internal voice asked.“Because we both work for the same place, and we can’t be gone at the sametime.” Kerry lectured herself absently. “And you know, that’s really getting tobe major suckage.”

She turned another page, and absorbed an ad for a new kindof wetsuit. It was cool looking, and Kerry tried to imagine herself wearing it.“Hm.”

They didn’t wear wetsuits much, but as she’d noted in DisneyWorld, they did have the advantage of making you look sort of sexy, in a SeaHunt kind of way. Maybe she’d get one of these, for night dives they did offthe back of their boat, on long summer nights not that far away.

Kerry flipped the page back and studied the dive charteragain. Okay, so the people in it got away for three weeks. Her lips twitched.She could do it anytime, and had a custom yacht to do it off of.  What was the whining for again?

Sometimes it was easy to fall into the trap of that wholegreener pastures thing, and you lost sight of the lawn  you were sitting on. 

Not that anyone wanted to sit on a Florida lawn anyway, ofcourse.  Kerry had discovered thehard way that what had been a pleasant, soft, green fuzzy carpet up  north was a frightening, sharp bladed,spikey, mostly sand and ant ridden patch of flora down here.

Kerry put the magazine down and closed her eyes again,letting her thoughts continue to wander. It felt like she had a lot of extrafragments in her head, making it difficult to concentrate on anything andrather than strain to pay attention, she just chucked it all instead.

**

Dar walked down to the east end of the island, where therewas a small spit of land that jutted out. She sat down on a patch of sand, curlingher toes into the grainy warmth as she gazed out over the sea.

Chino trotted over, and deposited a turtle on her foot. Shesat down and looked expectantly at Dar, who made a grab for the animal as itscrabbled upside down, it’s tiny feet waving in the air. “Hey, Chino. That’snot a toy.”

“Growf.” Chino nosed the turtle, obviously hoping Dar wouldtoss it for her to retrieve.

“C’mon.” Dar examined the creature and found it unhurt. Itwas a fresh water one, though, so she knew it hadn’t swum up out of the verynearby Atlantic ocean. “Were you someone’s pet?” She asked it. “I had a turtlejust like you once.”

Chino sniffed at the turtle, who pulled it’s head in.

“He doesn’t like you, Chi.” Dar smiled. “I don’t thinkBrownie would have liked you either. She hated cats.”

Carefully, Dar put the turtle down under a piece ofdriftwood. She had no idea if the animal could survive out on the beach, butshe wasn’t sure he’d survive if she took him home, either.

This bit of business taken care of, she returned her eyes tothe sea, one hand absently scratching Chino’s neck.  She wondered where the ships were by now, probably manymiles out to sea.  Were the crewspartying?

Had Quest told them what their fate was?

Were they all laughing at the four companies they’d duped,left back in Miami?

Had the Captain, whom Dar had taken a liking to, thrownShari overboard yet?

So many questions.

So many open issues.

That’s what was really bothering her, Dar realized. Well, thatand the fact that she’d been made to look like a bloody idiot in front of herboss, her partner, and god knows how many other people.

She fished a shell out of the sand and examined it’scracked, ridged edge. It had a dry feeling from the salt and the sand dust andshe smelled it, detecting the faint, buttery scent she remembered well from herchildhood.

She had, briefly, collected shells.  They were interesting, and she’d spenthours finning up and down the beach shoreline, half in and half out of the surfas the sea alternately tugged and pushed her, teaching her the rhythm of it’sheartbeat.

Most of her friends had no use for them. Her father had nouse for them, except for the mahogany olive she’d found once, an old soldier ofthe sea that he’d taken from her and kept in his uniform pocket for god onlyknew how many years.

After a while, she’d been at a loss as to what to do withthem, so on a whim, one morning, she’d gathered them all up, all their colorsand varied shapes, and presented them to her mother as a gift, suspecting she’dquietly eject them into a hole in the backyard at the very first opportunity.

To her bemusement, Ceci had absolutely loved them.  The textures and patterns had reallycaptured her artist’s eye and she’d spent hours arranging and studying them onmats in the little corner she’d set up to paint in.

Confused the hell out of Dar, but it was the best reactionshe’d ever gotten from a gift, so she wasn’t about to question it.

People surprised you sometimes. Shari had surprised her, andafter that experience, Dar had tried very hard not to let anyone surprise herever again. 

Kerry sometimes did, but that was okay. Kerry only surprisedher in good ways, she’d never yet surprised her in a bad way even when sheherself thought she might be, like with the tattoo.

Dar sighed, and rested her chin on her forearm.  The one thing Shari had accused her ofthat she knew hit home with a vengeance was the fact that she never gave in.She always had to win. Always had to pull one out of her hat.

She could never take losing. Wasn’t that what Shari hadsaid? She couldn’t take it because that would prove she was just another loserlike all the rest of her friends.

Shari excepted, of course.

So, she was going to prove Shari wrong this time. Dar tossedthe shell into the water. She was going to lose gracefully, take what creditshe was due for doing a decent job, and move on.  No pulling rabbits out of anywhere, no last minute heroics,no making it happen.

“Right Chi?”

Chino trotted back over to her and redeposited the turtle inher lap. “Growf.” She nudged Dar’s hand impatiently.

With a sigh, Dar collected the animal and stood up, brushingsand grains off her leg. “Okay. Let’s take it back to mommy Kerry, and see whatshe says about keeping it.”  Shetold the dog, as they started back towards the condo.

The sun was starting to slant down towards the west, and thebreeze off the water made it very comfortable. Even the heat wasn’t thatoverbearing, though Dar stifled a yawn as she walked, kicking bits of beachdetritus ahead of her as she wandered.

Then her steps slowed and she came to a halt, her browcreased.

Chino stopped, came back and grabbed the edge of Dar’s shirtin her teeth, tugging in the direction of home.

Slowly, Dar gave in to the motion, starting to walk again,but this time with an extremely thoughtful expression on her face.

**

The condo was very quiet when Dar entered, and her eyes wentto the love seat where Kerry was now curled up on her side, fast asleep.

She closed the door carefully and edged across the livingroom, trying not to make any sound as she settled down on the floor next toKerry, just watching the slow, even motion of her breathing.

Chino ruined all her stealthy work by clattering over,though, and poking a cold wet nose right into the hollow of Kerry’s eyesocket.

“Chi!” Dar made a grab for the dog, but it was too late andKerry jerked awake, her eyes nearly coming out of her head. “Damn it. Sorry,Ker.”

“Yow!” Kerry coughed. “What in the hell was that? I feltlike a raw meatball hit my face!”

Dar pointed at Chino’s black nose.

“Jesus.” Kerry hauled herself half upright. “That’s twicetoday.” She rubbed her face with one hand. “Boy, I must have been more tiredthan I thought.”

Dar released Chino and leaned back against the couch. “Sorryabout that… why don’t you go back to sleep? Not like we’ve got a lot plannedfor this afternoon.” She tipped her head back and regarded Kerry.  “Ker?”

“What on earth do you have in your hand?” Kerry was leaningforward, staring at Dar’s closed fingers with intense fascination. “Is thatalive?”

Dar brought her hand over and opened it, revealing theturtle. “Yes, it is.”

“Ooo.” Kerry crooned at it. “It’s so cute!”

The turtle cautiously extended it’s head, and scrabbled atDar’s skin with it’s four small feet. “Chino found it on the beach.” Dar explained. “It’s a freshwater… I usedto have one when I was a kid.”

“How’d it get here?” Kerry looked up from petting the animalon the head with the tip of her finger. “It didn’t swim the cut, did it?”

“Nah. Probably some kid got it, and let it go.” Dar replied.“I was going to leave it, but Chi kept bringing it back to me, so..”

“So.. we’re going to Petsmart.” Kerry concluded, with a grin.“Rocking. I’ve always loved turtles.”

“Tortuga.” Dar pronounced, rolling the R sound a little.“Yeah, we can bring Chino. She loves Petsmart.”

“She loves the toy aisle.” Kerry sat up. “Okay, let me gothrow water on my face, and we can go get Senor Tortuga a house.”

“Can we get a hermit crab to keep him company?” Dar askedingeniously.

Kerry paused, and leaned an elbow on Dar’s shoulder. “Tellyou what.” She whispered, confidentially. “I’ll get you a hermit crab, if youtell me what we’re going to do to fix this whole stupid mess.”

They were pretty much nose to nose. “Are we doingsomething?” Dar asked, quietly.

“There is no way.” Kerry leaned forward and gently kissedher on the lips. “That I’ll believe you don’t have some plan, some way, someamazing solution to keep you, and I from looking like jackasses in front ofthat camera tomorrow.”

“No way?”

Kerry rested her forehead against her partners. “Dar, one ofthe things I admire most about you is the fact that you never give up. You  never back off, you never quit, and younever, ever lose.” She said. “That’s what caught my eye about you from themoment we met.”

Dar watched the turtle march across her palm, averting hereyes from her partners briefly. “Some people might not think that’s a positive trait.”

“Some people might not.” Kerry readily agreed. “Anyone whohas to compete with you, in fact. But I don’t, and I love it.”

Ah. An unexpected revelation. “You do?”

“I do.”

“You love me being a bitch?” Dar questioned. “Because that’swhat I am when I do that,” Her eyes searched Kerry’s at a very short distancealmost making both of them crossed. “I’m not sure that’s really desirable in along term relationship, is it?”

And, there it was. Kerry found herself speechless as shestared at her partner.

Dar gave her a tiny shrug,  her lips pressed together tightly.

“Y’know.” Kerry finally found her voice. “I grew up havingto hide who I really was and I didn’t half realize just how mind obliteratingthat was until I met you.”

Dar blinked, looking unsure and a little apprehensive.

Kerry stroked Dar’s cheek gently. “Please don’t tell me youthink you have to change for me to keep on loving you. Please.” She paused,swallowing. “Don’t tell me that.”

Dar hadn’t expected this conversation to happen just like this,just so soon, or hit so hard. Her heart was pounding so fast she could see theflashes from the beats as afterimages in her eyes, and her tongue felt threesizes too big for her mouth.

But here it was, and there was no point in holding it backany more. “Well.” Dar took a breath. “Everyone in my life’s always told me thereason I pushed everyone away from me was because I was who I was.” She tookanother breath. “So I’d rather change that than take a chance on losing you.”

Kerry glanced at the turtle, who had settle down into thepalm of Dar’s hand. “Don’t change.” She whispered, looking back up into herpartner’s eyes. “Don’t change a damn thing, Dar. I love every single thingabout you.”

“Everything?” Dar sensed the directness in Kerry’s raptattention.

“Everything.”

“Everything?”

A touch of sweetly amused exasperation entered Kerry’s tone.“Honey, I fell in love with you when you were in the act of firing my ass. Howmuch more everything do you need?”

Hm. Dar thought about that. “Am I being a stupid insecurejackass again?’

“No.” Kerry leaned forward and kissed her again. “We bothhave questions sometimes. We just have to remember to ask them and not keepquiet.”

Sure. Easy for her to say. Dar felt a lot better, though.She still felt like an insecure jackass, but it was hard to be too hard onherself when Kerry’s lashes were fluttering against her skin and they wereeyeball to eyeball over a turtle.

“Feel better now?” Kerry gave her a kiss on the nose.

“Eh.” A sly twinkle appeared in the blue eyes so close tohers. “I get a hermit crab?” Dar said.

“With a painted house.” Kerry promised. “But you have tospill the plan, remember.”

Ah, the plan. Well, Kerry’s faith in hernotwithstanding….Dar kissed her. “Well, I don’t’ have a plan.” She admitted. “ButI do have an idea, so we’ll see how far it goes.”

Kerry grinned. “I knew it.” She did a little seated dance onthe couch. “You know what I’m hoping?” She asked, as she got up and startedaround the end of the couch towards the bedroom. “I’m hoping you found some wayto pull a bathtub stopper on those things and they’re now stuck in placebailing to beat the band.”

Dar got to her feet and looked around for somethingappropriate to deposit their new pet in. “Hey Ker? Where’d you store that oldfishtank of yours?”

“You didn’t comment on that.” Kerry called in from thebathroom. “It’s in the closet there, bottom shelf.”

Dar retrieved the tank and set it on the dining room table.She placed the turtle inside, then went into the kitchen to find it something toeat.  “Actually, I’m counting onthem making it in one piece.” She called back, taking out a piece of lettuceand a few shreds of carrots.

“Really?”

Dar chuckled softly. “Really.” She carried the vegetationback to the tank and put it down next to their new resident. “There you go,buddy.”

The turtle seemed a bit overwhelmed by it’s new environment,his feet scrabbling against the glass. But the lettuce attracted him and hemunched a bit of it.  Dar watchedhim for a moment, and then she retreated into her study, sitting down behindher computer and giving the trackball a whirl.

Her desktop came up, with it’s background of an underwaterscene.  Dar opened her mailprogram, briefly reviewing some new entries. One made her frown, and she openedit, scanning the contents before she hit reply. “Kiss my ass.” She hit send,shaking her head. “Brainless gitwads.”

“Did you say something?” Kerry entered, pulling a cleant-shirt over her head.

“Not to you.” Dar fished in the small wooden box near hermonitor, and removed a business card. She opened a new mail and typed in anaddress from it. She  paused tothink, resting her chin against her laced fingers as she considered what it wasshe wanted to say.

Kerry settled on the couch, tucking her feet up under her. “Canwe get dad to sink them?”

Dar chuckled.

“You  know hecould.”

“We probably could get them stopped.” Dar flexed herfingers, then started typing. “Hold on a minute, I’m thinking in German.”

German? Kerry’s ears perked up. “Hans?”

“Ja.”

Hm.

**

“You have gone out of your head.” Hans voice soundedremarkably clear, given it was issuing forth from a continent away. “Do youknow what time it is here?”

“You called me.” Dar reminded him dryly.

“Do I know what timeit is?” Hans asked, not missing a beat. “How could I know when I get these verystrange emails in the middle of the night.”

Dar gave her trackball a whirl, studying the information onher screen. “So you’re sure it’s Hundemann?”

“As sure as anything in this business can be sure.” Hanssaid. “My sources are respectable, and it seems they have quietly bought twohotel lines recently.”

“Ah.” Dar scrolled down. “They’re pretty big.”

“They are not Marriot Corporation, but yes.” Hans agreed.“And so?”

And so.  Darreviewed the corporate data, her eyes searching for connections between thebland points. Hundemann’s had picked up properties that were mostly older,mostly converted chateaus, castles, country mansions, you name it.

They were modestly successful. Customers liked them, andthey’d gotten on the hotel A lists, pushing their theme of the grandeur ofyesteryear.

That made the ships fit in with their corporate plan, allright. “Okay.” Dar mused slowly. “This is the pitch. You listening?”

“Most surely, I am listening.” Hans replied.

Dar felt her mind going a mile a minute. It was a feelingthat had been familiar to her for a long time, but not so much recently. She’dalmost forgotten how much she liked it. “I’m sure they already have a management system.”

“They do. One of my competitors.”

“So what we have to do is sell them yours, riding on mypipes.”

Hans was silent for a long moment. “We have to do that?” Hefinally queried. “Why?”

“You don’t want to sell your system?”

“I do.” Hans protested. “But what advantage can we offer tothese people? You cannot be thinking of going cheaper than my competitor. Iwill not allow it.”

Interesting reverse psychology, Dar considered. “No, not forthis guy.” She reluctantly agreed. “He goes for quality, which is why he shouldgo for us.”

Hans laughed, but there was no mocking in it. “You know, Iagree!” He said. “In fact, that is exactly how I will what you call pitch tohim. He should buy my system and your hardware because it is simply the best,and that is all there is to that. It is good. I will call them.”

“Great.” Dar paused to take a breath.

“I can go back to sleep now, yes?” Hans asked pointedly.

“Sure.” Dar said.

“Then a good night to you, Dar. Please give my regards toyour delightful wife.”

“Thanks. Night.’ Dar hung up the phone, not entire satisfiedwith the conversation. “Hm.”

“So, what was that all about?” Kerry asked. “Did he go forwhatever it was you were asking?”

Dar scowled. “Not sure.” She half shrugged. “I think he did,but not with the urgency I really wanted.” She sighed. “Well, we could justhint that we’ve got something in the works.”

Kerry frowned. “I hate vague hints.” She said. “Almost asmuch as I hate not knowing the plan.”

Blue eyes blinked guiltily at her. “Sorry.” Dar murmured.“C’mere.”

Kerry got up and circled the desk, peering at Dar’s screen.“Okay. I’m here.”

“I asked Hans to find out who was in a position to acquirethose four ships, and do something intelligent with them. After he made jokesabout half the companies in Europe, he came up with three.” Dar clicked on awindow. “I ran analysis on them, and we came up with two that have balancesheets so bad they couldn’t buy a Happy Meal, and this one.” She pointed at thescreen she’d been reading.

“Ah.”

“They own a lot old time, classy places.”

Kerry grunted. “And you think they’re after the ships?” Sheglanced at her partner. “Why them, and not Starwood, or one of the bigmultinationals from this side of the pond?”

Why, indeed? Dar found herself in the position of trying toexplain a hunch, one of those intuitive decisions she often made and seldomregretted. Kerry had been one of them. “Just feels like a European company isin this.” She said. “So anyway, I wanted Hans to pitch his distributedmanagement system, over a network we’d provide.”

“Why?”

“Why??” Dar gave her a look.

“No.. um..” Kerry held a hand up. “I know why, but I guess Imean, why us? What does this get us?”

Dar clicked on a page. “They have two hundred locations.”She said. “What it gets us is a major European backbone, which we don’t haveright now, as a growth platform. It also gets us a foothold in the servicessector, which we also don’t have, and last but not least… “ One more click. “Itrecoups all our investment in that ship as well as locks our competitors out.”

It nearly took Kerry’s breath away. “Whoa.”

“Mm.” Dar grunted. “If Hans can pull it off.” She said. “Hedidn’t sound too enthusiastic about it.. but we’ll see.”

“Couldn’t we..” Kerry paused. “We’ve got programmers, Dar.We could do our own system.”

“We could.” Her partner agreed. “But it’d take years, whichwe don’t have.”

“Hm.”

“And, if this is Hundemann, they’re pretty fiercely Eurocentric.”

“Ah. We need Hans to front us.” Kerry nodded. “It’s a greatidea, Dar.”

Dar leaned her head against her fist. “Wish I’d thought ofit a little sooner.” She admitted. “Wonder if any of the rest of them caughton? We could be in a race and not even know it.”

Kerry’s cell phone rang, startling them both. She reachedfor it, flipping it open as a glance showed her an unfamiliar number. “Hello?”

“You bitch.”

The voice was loud enough for Dar to hear it, and it broughther upright and reaching for the phone. “Give me that.”

“Ah ah ah.” Kerry scrambled out of reach. “Excuse me,there’s no one here by that name.” She responded into the phone in a pleasanttone. “You must have the wrong number. Goodbye.” She closed the cell. “I don’tremember giving her my cell phone number.. did you?”

Dar glared at the device, her eyes narrowing.

“Just kidding.” Kerry assured her. “That was a marine line..guess she’s still stuck out there, huh?”

The cell rang again. Dar imperiously held out her hand, palmup. “Give me that thing.”

Kerry hesitated, then she meekly handed it over. 

Dar opened it. “Yes.” She answered, in a silken tone.

“Don’t’ you fucking hang up again on me, you bitch.”

“Different bitch.” Dar replied. “And I’ll hang up any time Ilike, so unless you’ve got something even slightly intelligent to say,goodbye.”

Kerry snuggled up to her, wrapping herself around Dar’s tallbody and angling her head to listen. “You know something.” She murmured. “She’sthe first person including my father I hate enough to wish something badhappens to her.”

“I am going to fucking sue your ass!” Shari screamed intothe phone.

“For?” Dar responded mildly.

“I’m stuck on this piece of shit ship!”

“And that’s my fault.. how?”

Silence.

“Did I ask you come aboard it? Did I ask you to startplaying around with the IT systems in an attempt to screw with us? Did I makeyou so stupid it’s a wonder you can breath and blink at the same time?” Darwent on. “Sorry to have to inject reality not to mention logic into theconversation, but frankly, you screwed yourself, which is what you should havebeen doing all along so as not to give the rest of us migraines.”

“Ooo.” Kerry wriggled.

 “You..” Therewas a hiss of interference. “This is all your doing! I know it! You’ve beentrying to fuck me over ever since I dumped you!”

“Stop blaming me, Shari.” Dar’s voice suddenly went veryserious. “You want someone to blame for your troubles, look in a mirror. Idon’t need to screw you over. I’ve got everything. You mean nothing to me.”

Silence.

“So stop wasting my time.” Dar finished quietly.

The line went dead. Dar looked at the phone, then she closedit and let it drop onto the surface of her desk. She looked down at Kerry, whowas still wrapped around her. “Well.”

Kerry hugged her.

Dar exhaled. “You know something? I actually feel sorry forher.”

“I don’t.” Green eyes peered wryly up. “And you shouldn’teither. You were so totally right, Dar. Whatever happened to her.. she did toherself.”

“Mm.”

“Not that she’ll ever buy that.” Kerry acknowledged.

“No. It’ll always be my fault.” Dar sighed. “Damn it.”

Kerry sniffed. “Well.” She concluded. “If that’s thecase,  I hope they’re in hundredfoot seas every second they’re out there, and run out of Dramamine.”

“Ker.”

“Sorry, hon. If she’s determined to hate you, I’ll justreturn the favor. I was never into that two wrongs rigamarole.” The blond womanstated stubbornly. “At least not where you’re concerned.” She added hastily,seeing Dar’s hiked eyebrows.

“Not very Christian.” Dar remarked diplomatically.

“Neither am I.” Kerry smiled, with a touch ofbittersweetness. “But seriously, Dar. I don’t think there’s anything you can dofor her. I think she’s talked herself into believing you’re out to get her, andshe probably doesn’t realize she has a thing for you.”

Dar blinked. “What?”

“Don’t you remember? In North Carolina? She tried to get youto go out with her.” Kerry poked Dar in the ribs. “I think she liked what shesaw, and figured she could pick up from way back when.”

“Except I wasn’t interested.” Dar murmured. “I blew heroff.”

“So.. you switched places.”

“And she was determined to bring me down, just like shethinks I was determined to do that to her.” Dar sat down on the desk, releasinga breath in sudden understanding. “Holy crap.”

“Crap, anyway.” Kerry smoothed the unruly dark hair off herpartner’s forehead.

Dar stared off past her, through the window. “One of us hasto stop this, then.” She said. “And I think it has to be me.”

Kerry absorbed that thoughtfully, but made no comment.

**

Ceci stood behind the captain’s seat, her hair being whippedback as they traveled across the dark sea. She felt a bit like a dog out for acar ride, except there were no traffic lights anywhere and Andy was actuallydriving in a straight line. “Why are we doing this, again?”

“Dardar done asked.”

Ceci digested this for a moment. “And if she asked, you’djump off a building?”

“Pends on what I was supposed to squish down at the bottomof it.”

His wife chuckled dryly. “You’d enjoy squishing whatever itwas.”

“Probly.”

Ceci leaned against him. “How long till we get there?”

Andrew checked the watch strapped to his wrist. “Bout twohours.” He concluded. “Got some buddies of mine slowing things down.”

“Hm.” Ceci flexed her fingers. “How about some hotchocolate?” She tugged on her husband’s ear. “You up for that, sailor boy?”

“Yeap.” Andy nodded positively. “That’d be real nice.”

“Be right back.” Ceci made her way to the ladder andcarefully climbed down it, trading the warm, if whipping wind for the peace ofthe boat’s cabin.  She waited for aparticularly sharp pitching to stop, then walked over to the small kitchen andslipped behind the counter.

She wasn’t much of a cook, and never pretended to be.Neither was Andy. They both subsisted on a mish mash of burgers and vegetablecurries, with a lot of fresh fruit and what seemed to her an inordinate amountof peanut butter.

But she could manage hot chocolate just fine, knowing tomake it with just the right amount of chocolate syrup and milk, added to ajudicious application of microwaves. She did so now, and took a seat on the weightedbase stool to wait for it to finish heating.

The drone of the big diesel engines was almost inaudibleinside, which always surprised her. She’d gotten used to the motion now, and in fact, the rocking of theboat even in dock put her to sleep like a baby, but every once in a while she’dlook around and slap herself when she realized that after all she’d gonethrough in her life, here she was now with it all.

Hilarious, really. Ceci leaned on the counter, listening tothe whirring of the microwave heating up the chocolate. She could almostimagine running into a very early version of herself now, and informing thatrebellious freak show that she’d end up married to a sailor and owning a motoryacht anchored off South Beach.

She was pretty sure she’d have run screaming. Now, she justpeacefully observed their neat, teak inlaid living space and stuck her tongueout at her younger self.  At leasther family still disowned her, right? That had to count for something, to thosecrabby little memories.

Both their families had disowned them. She’d once broachedthe subject of trying to reconnect with his family to Andy, but he’d just shookhis head without even a moment’s hesitation.

Ah well. She’d reconnected with Dar, and that would have tobe enough familial reconciliation for her for this lifetime, at least.

The ship rocked a little again, and she turned to peer outthe porthole. It was getting very dark out there, and she was still reallywondering what Dar was thinking when she asked them to come. It worried her alittle, because insofar as she understood her daughter, she didn’t understandthis.

The radio crackled softly, whispers from hidden travelers onthe sea like they were, talking into the silence.  

**

“Ready?” Kerry glanced at her reflection in the mirror,twitching a bit of blond hair into place. “You realize they won’t recognize us,right? After we spent the last week in rags?” She surveyed her silver bluelinen sheath as she shrugged into her gunmetal gray jacket.

“Probably not.” Dar appeared in the mirror’s reflectionbehind her. She was dressed in a black business suit jacket and skirt, with aburgundy silk shirt. “You look gorgeous.” She complimented her partner, givingher an approving smile as she twitched the shoulders straight on Kerry’sjacket.

Kerry straightened in reflex, glancing in the mirror to meetDar’s eyes. “Thanks.” She smiled. “So do you.”

“Hm.. this old thing?” Dar held her arms out, giving hersuit a droll look.

“What’s in it.” Kerry turned around and traced a line downthe front of her partner’s neck. “Did I say anything about the packaging?” Herfingertip disappeared inside the collar of Dar’s shirt.  “Any word from Hans?”

“Nope.” Dar reached past Kerry and selected a pair ofearrings, fastening them into her lobes. “Not a word.”

Kerry applied a bit of perfume to her wrists, and rubbedthem together. “Well.”

“It’s Sunday.” Dar shrugged. “Can’t really expect much onthe weekend.” She picked up Kerry’s arm by the wrist and rubbed the inside of itagainst the side of her neck. “Mm.” She growled softly. “I like that.”

Kerry almost sneezed, the sudden seduction sending confusingsignals across her body. “It’s new.” She responded in bemusement.

“It’s you.” Dar relented, releasing her arm and giving her apat on the shoulder. “We ready for our close-ups, Ms Demille?”

Kerry rolled her eyes. “What are you going to do, since wehaven’t heard from Hans?”

“Bullshit.” Dar replied amiably.

“Really?”

“Yup. C’mon.”

Kerry followed Dar out the door and into the purple twilightof a summer evening. They walked together down the path and over to Dar’s car.“You know where we’re going?” Kerry asked. “I don’t think I ever heard of theplace.”

“Ivan Tors?” Dar chuckled softly. “Yeah, I’ve been there.”

“Really?” Kerry got into the Lexus and settled into theleather seat. “I thought your mom said you were too feisty for babycommercials.”

Dar closed the door and started the car. “I was.” She backedthe Lexus out of it’s parking spot, leaving Kerry’s smaller blue one sitting inlonely isolation. “But they used to film Flipper there, and we went on a schoolfield trip to check it out.”

Kerry leaned an elbow on the center console. “You’rekidding.”

“Nope.” Dar shook her head. “They were doing some movie orsomething there when we were by… had the big tank filled up with water and Ijumped in.”

“Oh my gosh.”

“Hey, it was hot.” Dar turned onto the main road of theisland. “Pissed off a lot of people, let me tell ya, but one of the guys doingthe shots wanted me to stick around.”

Kerry’s eyes twinkled. “Ah. A gentleman of discerningtastes.”

Dar smiled, but didn’t answer. She pulled up and directlyonto the ferry, which was just about ready to cast off.  Rolling into place, she set the parkingbrake and relaxed. As she looked off towards the west, towards a still crimsonline near the horizon, she could sense an ending coming and was glad of it.

“So you’re going to bullshit?” Kerry changed the subject,watching her partner’s fingers tap restlessly on the steering wheel. “What partdo you want me to take up? How we’re working to incorporate our internationalpartners?”

“Mm. I like that.” Dar gave her an approving grin.

Kerry leaned back, watching the shoreline go past as theferry crossed the cut. The last light was fading from the sky and she enjoyedthe faint puffs of magenta still outlining the western clouds. “We driving downto the cabin tomorrow or taking the Dixie?”

Dar didn’t answer for a few minutes, her brow tensing alittle. Then she shrugged. “Let’s take the Dixie. We can run down to Key Westone of the days for fun if we want.”

“Ooo.. I like that idea.” Kerry found herself really lookingforward to it. “I really do.” She added, in a softer tone. “And you know, wecan get some stuff done from there, Dar. I’ve got so much catchup to do.”

Dar eyed her.

“I just really like the idea of working from there.” Kerrycaught the look, and blushed a little. “I got so much more done that one day.”

Dar casually reached over and took Kerry’s hand inhers.  They both sat in silence asthe ferry made a lazy u-turn in the channel and started to nose up to thelandside ferry base. Then Dar turned her head and looked at Kerry. “I want toput together this deal.” She sounded slightly surprised. “With Hans.”

“Do you?” Kerry asked.

Dar nodded. “We can really make a move in Europe with this.”She said. “We’ve got a lot of services contracts over there, but almost noinfrastructure. That’s why the international calls give me such a hive. Theyhave no clue what I do.”

“I think it’s a great idea.”

“Which one?” Dar half grinned.

“All of them. I like the idea of you expanding our businessthere.” Kerry replied. “And to be honest, I think I need to pull back from thatside of it a little. I need to get our house in order. There’s been way toomuch suckage in the last few months.”

They both studied each other as the ferry docked, and theramp started to come down. “I was seriously considering quitting last week.”Dar finally said.

“I know.”

Dar started up the Lexus. “I’m not going to quit on afailure.” She  shifted her hands tothe wheel, watching impatiently as the ferry deck hands began to direct trafficoff the boat. “I’m just not going to do that.”

Kerry settled back as they started up the ramp, nodding alittle to herself. “I like that answer.” She said. “It reminds me of somethingmy father said, once.”

Dar barely kept from driving off the edge of the ferry base.“What?”

Kerry folded her arms. “He said, ‘Kerrison, if you ever goout in public and do something, you better do it right. If it lands on the pageone of the Washington Post, you’ll spend a year in the back room washingdishes.’”

Dar blinked. “Did I just say that?” She asked, in anoutraged tone.

“No.” Kerry nudged her. “Drive straight, hon.. they wont’believe us if we say we missed it because you drove off the causeway.” Shewaited until they were underway again. “But his point was the same thing – whenyou do something, you should do it right, or don’t do it.”

“Oh. Okay.” The dark haired woman drummed her fingers on thewheel. “Yeah, I guess it is the same general idea, isn’t it?” She paused, thenglanced at Kerry. “Did you listen to him?”

Kerry merely nodded, her expression shifting to one of quietintrospection. “One of the few times.” She added, after a moment. “So I’m rightthere with you, Dar. I don’t fail in public. Not if I can help it.”

“Mmhm.”

They traded the causeway for the highway, and headed north.

**

“Why aren’t we moving?” Quest asked, as soon as the captaincleared the doorway. “We’ve been sitting here for an hour!”

The captain gave him a brief smile. “That is right.” Heagreed. “And we will be sitting possibly for some hours more. There is a defectin the engine.”

Quest threw his hands up. “This piece of crap boat.”

“Ship.” The captain corrected him. “Mr. Quest, I am sorry ifthis disturbs you. However, we are outside the waters of the United States, andso you perhaps should just go and relax while we attend to this problem. I didwarn you we could have some difficulties.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Quest grumbled. “I just want to be out ofhere. I can taste a decent glass of beer the closer we get to the other side.”

The captain shrugged both shoulders. “I do sympathise.” Hesaid. “We too, are looking for some relief from the lives we’ve been forced tolive these last few months.” He walked over to the window in the dining room,peering out into the darkness. “I am looking forward to going home.”

Quest snorted. “Hey, at least you had a break. I can’tbelieve you conned Roberts into buying the whole damn ship dinner.” He said.“Very slick.”

The captain did not turn. “I think the lady was glad to doit.”

“Lady?” Quest guffawed. “Get real.”

“I rather liked Ms. Roberts.” The older man twitched his jacketstraight. “At any rate, I must return to the bridge. If there is furtherdevelopments, I will inform you.” He walked to the door and slipped through it,not giving Quest a chance to intercept him.

“Prick.” Quest curled his lip. “You’ll be going home allright, old man. I know they’ll kick your ass right off this tub as soon as thecheck’s signed.” He put his feet up against the chair next to him and pushedback, rocking slowly in the rhythm of the ship’s motion.

A shadow caught his eye, and he looked over towards the bigentrance to see Shari entering. “What do you want?” He asked sharply. “Ithought I told you to stay upstairs and stop aggravating everyone.”

“Go screw yourself.” Shari told him bluntly. “You don’t tellme anything, you piece of shit.”

“You better watch your mouth.” Quest pointed at her. “Youforget I can have you charged with being a stowaway. That’s big time troublefor a skuzzy dyke without any passport.”

Shari sat down near the window. “Don’t threaten me. Ifinally bought my way into that comm. office upstairs and got a phone callout.” She told him, with a sneer. “So my passport’s no longer an issue. Youbetter hope you make this stupid trip worth my while, or maybe I’ll charge youwith kidnapping.”

“Like anyone would kidnap you.” Quest laughed. “What a pieceof shit you are. Is there anyone in this thing you didn’t screw over? Yourpartner? Roberts? Me? The media? Meyer? You were sleeping with everyone.”

“Look who’s talking.” Shari taunted him right back. “If youswitched sides any more times you’d have split yourself in half, you horse’sass.”

Quest started laughing. “I was right. We’re two of a kind.”He announced, with a cheerful grin. “Maybe if you’re not too obnoxious on thecrossing, I’ll let you come work for me when I sign my contract with the newowners.”

“Don’t even think it.” Shari growled. “I don’t work foranyone.”

“Yeah, you sure didn’t do much for your little girlfriend.Bet she wishes she’d hooked up with your old flame.”

“Screw you.”

Quest laughed again. “Better think twice. I think you burnedyour bridges with your friend.”

Shari lapsed into a sullen stare at him.

“Who knows? Maybe you lucked out getting stuck on board.”Quest went on, with a smirk. “Wouldn’t you like a new start? I don’t’ thinkyou’re leaving behind anything worth going back to.”

One of the crew entered, and paused awkwardly. “Uh.. excuseme.”

“Yeah? What?” Quest seemed glad of a new victim. “What’syour name again, Weenie?”

“Talley.” The man said. “The staff captain asked me to tellyou that dinner is being served in the officer’s mess.”

“Tell them I said to bring it to me here.” Quest told him.

Shari got up. “If you’re so stupid you’d give those people achance to poison the plate they’re bringing you, I don’t want to be here to seeit.” She looked at Talley. “Where’s the place it’s being served?”

Talley gave her a mildly accepting look, and indicated thestairs. “Down there. I’ll show you.” He said. “And I’ll pass along yourmessage, sir.”

Shari followed the young man down the stairs. “How do youlike working for a jackass like that?”

Talley glanced at her, then shrugged. “He’s a cluelessbreeder. They’re all the same. He’ll get tired of the whole thing when we getto where we’re going, and take off.”

“Think so?” Shari asked.

Talley smirked. “I think he’ll be lucky he’s not hangingover the railing the rest of the crossing after I tell the staff he’s got tobring him his dinner.” 

Shari chuckled dryly, but her thoughts kept going back towhat Quest had said.

What, really, did she have to go back to?

Nothing.

But what if she could turn it all around, and make a dealwith the new owners of the ships? Shari’s eyes glinted. She could pull her own miracle out of her ass thistime, and screw the rest of them. She’d show up Dar, and she’d prove who was the real driving force behindTelegenics.

Yeah.

**

Dar paused  justinside the back door to the studio to let her eyes wander over the space,trying to remember what it had looked like the last time she’d been there.  After a moment, she shook her head andfollowed Kerry across to where a long table was set up against one wall.

Everything seemed to be painted black. Behind the table wasa set of doors, one larger than the other, with a heavy seal and what lookedlike a police light mounted over it. It was flashing red, throwing annoyingblurps of light around the room.

“Ah.” Graham was already there, and he walked over to themas they approached. He was dressed in a well fitted, conservative gray suit andappeared to be the successful businessman he in reality was. “We were takingbets whether we’d see you two here tonight.”

“Us, miss a party?” Kerry said. “Never. Besides, I don’tknow about you, but I needed some closure out of this thing.”

“I agree.” Michelle joined them. “They’re doing individualinterviews first.” She indicated the door. “And they’ve catered us. Go havesome television food. Guarantee that doesn’t happen to any of us often.”

Dar touched Kerry’s back lightly. “I’ll grab you a coke.”She ducked away and headed for the table, leaving Kerry to fence with theirrivals.

“Nice outfit.” Michelle complimented her.

“Thanks, you too.” Kerry replied, with automaticgraciousness. “We got a call from your partner.”

“So did I.” Michelle didn’t miss a beat. “Did you arrangeall that?”

Graham was merely watching them, his eyes flicking fromKerry to Michelle with interest.

“Sad to say, no.” Kerry said. “We were as surprised as youprobably were.”

“I wasn’t.”

Kerry’s eyebrows twitched. “You weren’t?”

“No. I mean..” Michelle backed up hastily as she saw Kerry’sexpression change. “What I meant was, I wasn’t surprised when I found out she’dgone on your ship to try and screw you over. Not that I knew she had.”

“Ah.”

“Don’t start throwing things at me.” Michelle warned, with awary grin. “This suit costs a fortune to dry clean.”

Kerry had to grin a little at that, lifting a hand and halfshrugging to acknowledge the jibe. “We’re just a bunch of radicals at ILS, whatcan I tell you? I do have to admit I wasn’t expecting our admin staff to turninto culinary terrorists.” She glanced aside as Dar returned with two cups.“Thanks.”

“So, have you decided what you will tell them, Dar?” Grahamasked, with a remarkable lack of artifice. “That’s what we were discussingbefore you arrived. What lies we came up with.”

Dar shrugged. “More or less.” She turned to Michelle. “Yougoing to tell them about Shari?”

The smaller woman’s face scrunched up. “I’m on the fence.”

Just then the red light went off, and they all turned as thebig door opened.  A slim, blondwoman with a pony tail and a huge clipboard looked out. “Okay, we’re aboutready to start. Everyone here?”

The front door shoved open, and a sweating Mike joined them,a look of overbearing aggravation on his face. “Traffic sucks.” Heannounced  crisply. “Sorry.”

The pony-tailed woman looked at her clipboard. “Are youMike?” She asked. “You’re first.”

“Figures.” Mike dabbed at his forehead with hishandkerchief. “This won’t take long. Keep a beer cold for me.” He edged pastthem and approached the woman, tugging the sleeves straight on his chocolatebrown business suit.

The door closed behind him, and after a few moments, the redlight went on.  The rest of themlapsed into a pensive silence, standing in the middle of the depressingly darkstage.

**

Shari joined her new friend Talley at a formica table,setting down her tray with it’s dish of god only knew what and glass ofchemical punch and taking a seat. The crew mostly ignored her, and chattered toeach other as they relaxed together.

Most were young, but some weren’t, and there was a real mixof nationalities. In fact, Shari discovered, Talley was one of the very fewAmericans aboard.

“We don’t like hard work.” Talley explained, when asked aboutthat. He selected a piece of mystery meat from the stew and ate it. “Americansdon’t like working seven days a week with no time off, and crappy salary.”

“I doubt anyone does.” Shari offered, reasonably. “So why doit?”

“Travel.” Talley said. “Different place every day, differentpeople.” He took a sip of the pseudo juice. “They give you room and board..such as it is, so you can save money and put it away if you want to, or buyyourself stuff at every port, if you want to.”

It almost sounded appealing. “No attachments.” Sharimentioned.

“Exactly.” Talley nodded. “Which is why I think this wholehotel thing sucks so bad.”

“Yeah.” A young, willowy woman sat down next to him. “It’snasty.”

“So you don’t think it’s a good idea?” Shari asked.

Both young people shrugged. “It’s better than scuttling theships, I guess.” Talley said. “And we get to keep our jobs, which is more thanthe deck and engine guys got. They’re pissed.”

“They’re weird.” The girl said, her Australian accentrolling the words out. “But they’ll go off and find some other bucket of bolts to cruise round in, you knowit.”

“Rather than working for.. what was that..” Shari fishedgingerly.

“Hundermann, yeah.” Talley supplied promptly. “I guessthey’ll be okay. Pretty good benefits.”

Hundermann. “Yeah, those guys.”

“For me, it’s good.” The girl said. “I’ve been wanting tomove shoreside, and get in with these people, they’ve got a lot of goodproperties all over the continent.”

“Hm.” Talley nodded. “I guess. I’ll just miss being at sea.”

“Join the Navy.” Shari suggested. “I hear the food’sbetter.”

The two looked at their plates, and then at her, and then ateach other.  Talley sighed. “Boy, Imiss those IT guys. They really knew how to lay it on.” He lamented. “It wasnice to be treated like human beings for a change, wasn’t it, Mandy?”

“It was.” The girl agreed. “I liked that lot. Clever boys,and handsome girls. Wish they’d stayed on, and I’m terribly mad at you all forletting them be tricked like that, with Staff.”

Talley had the grace to look guilty.

Shari bit her tongue to keep from giving her opinion of Darand her staff. She needed information right now more than the satisfaction thatsavaging the old bitch would give her. “So.. Hundermann.. they a big outfit?”

Talley turned to her in relief. “Pretty big, for over thereI guess. They’ve got a lot of unique places all around.. castles and stuff likethat. Exclusive.”

“Yeah?”

“Maybe we’ll get staying priviledges.”  Mandy elbowed him. “Do a tour on timeoff and stay in a castle, I’d like that.”

“I think they’re going to do up each ship in a differentera, or culture or something.” Talley said. “Sounds pretty cool.”

It did, actually. Shari felt a grudging appreciation for theidea.

“So.. are you part of Mr. Quest’s company?” Talley suddenlyasked. “I thought you were, but if you don’t know about the new people..”

Crap. “Nah. I’m from one of the other ships.” Shari said. “Iwas just bringing something on this one when you all just up and left. I gotstuck here.”

“Oh!” Mandy looked concerned. “My gosh.. are you staying onthe crossing? Don’t you have clothes or anything? That’s horrid!”

“Yeah, well, that’s the breaks.” Shari got up, picking upher mostly untouched tray. “Thanks for the company. See you later.” Shedeposited the congealing food onto a dish cart and strode purposefully for thedoor, an idea growing in her mind that made her smile.

**

Dar had tired of standing around bullshitting, and she’dhunted around the big, empty stage until she located a few old folding chairs stackedagainst one wall.  She called theothers over, and they set up the chairs in a circle, near enough to the longtable to replenish themselves from it when they wanted.

“Excuse me, we didn’t rent those.” The girl behind the longtable cautioned them.

“You should have.” Dar told her. “Just be glad we didn’tcome over there and sit in your table.”

The girl subsided, reseating herself meekly behind thecatering.

Kerry tucked her feet under her chair and let her hands reston her knees. The big room was well air conditioned, at least, and with anyluck they’d be done soon and they could get out of here.  Her social gene prodded her, and shecleared her throat to get everyone’s attention. “How about we all go grab somedinner and end this project on a civilized note?”

“You, civilized, and dinner scares me.” Michelle said, butwith a smile. “But I’ll risk it. Graham?”

“Surely.” Graham placidly answered. “My company is alreadysending hit men after me and I doubt I will survive Monday, so why not get adinner out of it at the least? Perhaps we can all pass around resumes.”

“Ah, yes.” Michelle winced. “Isn’t that the truth? Not allof us have as understanding an upper management as you do, Dar. That was apretty impressive performance by your CEO.”  She took a sip of ice tea. ‘You have him very well trained.”

“Alastair’s not trained.” Kerry hastily spoke up as shesensed the stiffening of Dar’s body next to her. “He just trusts Darimplicitly.”

“Hm.”

“That is what I have heard.” Graham said. “In fact, to be perfectlyfrank, Dar, it’s quite advantageous to your boss that your preferences are soexplicit as otherwise many would assume something quite salacious between thetwo of you.”

“They have.” Dar shrugged. “He and I joke about itsometimes.” She pulled her PDA out and checked it, then returned it to herpurse with a sigh.

The rotating light went off, and the door opened. Mike cameout, looking as though he’d drunk sour lemonade.

“Ah.. Graham?” The pony tailed girl asked, peering politelyat them. “You’re next, please.”

Mike came over and took the chair Graham vacated, sittingdown in it with a creak of protesting metal. “Hope you’ve got a cup on.” Headvised Graham.

Graham paused, made a face, then continued on, shaking hishead as he walked through the door.

“Do they make cups for women?” Mike  asked. “Cause I think there’s aWal-mart nearby if you want to run out and get some.”

Dar, Kerry, and Michelle exchanged looks.  Kerry cleared her throat gently. “Arethey wearing cups?” She indicated the now closed door.

“I’m wearing pointy shoes.” Michelle displayed herfashionable stilettos. “This could be fun.”

**

Shari browsed the screen, searching out details. She’d foundHundemann’s website easily enough, once she’d paid off the communicationsofficer to give up his laptop for a few minutes.  The man hadn’t wanted to, and after she’d taken a quick lookat his browser history, she could see why.

No wonder they’d liked Dar. She gave them freaking internet.None of the others had done it, and they sure hadn’t, since that would havecost money she wasn’t about to spend on this shitball bid. “Wonder if they evenhad any clue how badly they’d have lost this.” She shook her head.

Hundemann’s site was boring as hell. She scrolled throughpages and pages of bullshit, maps, site plans, and marketing crap so bland evenshe couldn’t get through it. The one thing that didn’t seem to be there was acontact number and address.

Figures. Shari kept hunting.

“Madame.”

“Here.” Shari held out another twenty dollar bill without looking.“Go away.”

The bill was removed from her fingers, and a moment later,the door closed.  Shari drummed herfingers on the keyboard, then thought of something else, and opened up a searchpage. “Don’t want riff raff to call you, huh? Well, you issue stock, so you’vegot to have an address somewhere, baby. C’mon.”

She ran a search against public companies, and foundnothing. Then she tried against the SEC database, and finally, finally, therewas something. She scanned the results, and leaned forward. “Ah hah.” Thecompany’s officers were listed, most of whom were not familiar to her.

“Sir Melton Gilberthwait.” Shari rolled her eyes. “Oh, giveme a break. Sounds like a cartoon character from Rocky and Bullwinkle.”  She pulled out a pen and wrote it downnevertheless, and copied down the telephone number beside it. “Okay, oldboy.  I’ll just give you a ring,and see if I can’t make you a deal you can’t say no to.”

She checked her watch. “Well your office hours say six am,so I hope that’s not bullshit like the rest of your website is.”  She put the piece of paper away, andclosed the browser.  With a glanceat the door, she then walked over to the rack of computer equipment and lookedat it.

A smoked glass door obscured the contents, and on the frontwas taped a sign off sheet verifying that the gear behind the door wasoperational.

It listed all the components. Shari scanned it, not reallyrecognizing most of the individual pieces of machinery, but knowing the major partsfrom things Michelle had said. It was expensive stuff, and she had fought toothand nail with Michelle to get her to order the cheaper components she’d foundon the internet instead of the kind Dar had used.

Michelle had flat refused. She should have known right thenit was all bullshit. It had nothing to do with competing with ILS, andeverything to do with impressing Dar. And Michelle had said she was fixated? What a blind fucker she’d turned outto be.

Shari got to the end of the list, and the signature linewhere ILS’s installer had guaranteed the install.

The name was familiar – a firmly scrawled D. Roberts. Sharistared at the name for a long time, her lip curling up into an unconscioussnarl. She reached out and her fingers tensed against the paper, on the vergeof crumpling it.

Then she dropped her hand, and just spat on it instead. “Iam going to beat you.” She told the page. “And you are never, ever going toforget it.”

**

Dar walked up and down the cracked sidewalk outside thestudio. It was getting late, and the traffic in front of the building hadsettled down to a steady trickle, the orange streetlamps bathing everything inan annoying color that strained her eyes to look at it.

She checked her PDA again, finding nothing in the in box. Hell,Hans was probably out at the local pub.. Dar checked her watch. No, Hans was probably sleeping, without a care inthe world for her anxieties on this side of the planet.

She could bullshit the television producers, but there was awarning bell ringing in the back of her head that reminded her that Meyer wasthe type who’d pick up the phone and call the Europeans to find out if she waslying or not.

That.. she didn’t want to deal with.  Dar paced down the walk, dodging pasttwo women jogging as she tried to work off some of her nervous energy. Itwasn’t easy. She really felt like doing some sparring, and she felt bad abouthaving left Kerry inside making small talk.

She stopped near a bus bench, and leaned against thetelephone pole next to it.

What could she do? Dar sorted through her options. Maybe shecould tell half truths, and just gloss over any specifics. Say they wereworking on a deal, which was true. Say she was working with a transcontinentalpartner…which was almost true since she had no real agreement with Hans.

But she was aware that this was going to be filmed, and thatmeant it could come back and bite her in the ass big time, if everything fellthrough or worse, if Hans found some European partner and they cut her out ofit.  She would look like an idiot.

Dar hated looking like an idiot. It might even be said thatshe’d made up the story just to make the company look good, and since thatwould affect the stock, there could be legal issues for her with that.

She was, as she found herself being reminded recently, acorporate officer and they were a public company.

“Hey lady.”

Dar turned, to find an old woman taking a seat on the benchnext to her. “Yes?”

“Is this the G bus?” The woman peered at Dar fuzzily,squinting through a pair of glasses with lenses at least a half an inch thick.

Dar straightened and looked around, spotting a sign tackedto the telephone pole. It bore a legend that probably required most of Dar’syears of schooling to decipher and went a long way to explain why so fewresidents bothered using the transit system. “Yeah.” She finally said.  “Where are you going?”

“Hallandale.”

Of course. “Yeah, that’s the bus.” Dar agreed.

“Good. Now if the stupid thing comes, it’ll be a good thing.Are you waiting for the bus? You could sell that nice jacket and take a taxi,y’know.”

Dar had to smile. “No, I’m not waiting for the bus.”

“So  why are youstanding there? Go home!” The woman scolded her. “It’s late! Does your motherknow you’re out here?”

Dar’s jaw dropped a little, and she clicked it shut. “Shedoes.”

“She should be ashamed. Go on home, young lady.”

Bemused and defeated, Dar left the safety of her telephonepole and escaped back down the sidewalk towards the studio.  She got back to the door without any cleareridea of what she was going to do, but she was glad enough to trade the muggynight heat for the cold blandness inside.

Kerry looked up as she entered, and gave her a wry smile.She was sitting with Mike and Graham, and apparently Michelle was now undergoingthe grilling.

Of course, Kerry was depending on her too. Dar felt theadded weight on her shoulders. She didn’t want to disappoint Kerry, orAlastair, or the board, or the company or her parents…

Jesus. Dar went back to her seat and dropped into it,feeling silently overwhelmed. 

Kerry reached casually over and circled Dar’s arm with herfingers, rubbing gently with the edge of her thumb. “Graham just told methey’re being pretty brutal in there.”

Dar lifted her brows.

“I think we should just keep our cool, and relax.”

Sure, easy for you to say. Dar scowled silently.

“Actually I think we should tell them we bought the ships.”Kerry continued blandly. “You know I had that budget I had to use or lose forthis quarter.”

Graham snorted wearily.

“Tell them your dad is going to recommission them as acoastal defense.”

Mike rolled his eyes, but laughed anyway.

A grudging smile appeared on Dar’s face, as she looked intoher partner’s eyes. “He’d make a damn good Admiral” She said, understanding thebanter for what it was. “Think you could keep a straight face if I pulled thaton them?”

“No.” Kerry admitted, with a grin. “But I’m sure you’llthink of something, and if not.. we can just start kissing each other. Thatshould distract them.”

Both men started laughing, mostly at Dar’s expression.Finally, Dar started laughing too, because with the tension she was feeling,she needed to do something. 

As Kerry had said, she’d figure out something. Dar tookKerry’s hand in hers and squeezed it. And if not, well then, Plan B had it’smerits, too.

**

Shari dug more bills out of her wallet, glad like hell she’dstopped at the bank before she’d headed for the pier that day.  She’d figured the last minute crap wasgoing to cost, and she knew better than to trust in the altruism of her staffor the good will of the dock workers.

None of that, of course, would have been figured into thebid. She hadn’t even been sure she was going to tell Michelle about it if she’dpaid anyone off, though she knew her erstwhile partner had no real moralobjection to the practice.

It was just get it done, that was all. That’s what they’ddecided to do when they’d gone into this whole rigamarole – to do whatever ittook to win the contract.  Sharicounted out her money. To win the contract and beat ILS.

She thought Michelle was on the program with her on that.Things had been going great for them, right up until fucking Orlando. They’dhad it all planned out – starting with making a star appearance at theconvention.

Then Dar had shown up, and it all started going wrong. 

Just like always. 

She tucked half the money away in her jeans pocket andfolded the other half, glancing at the scrap of paper with the Hundemann’scontact name. “Well, not this time.” She informed the  scribbling. “Now, where’s that little Ruskie?”

She opened the door to the communications office, but foundit surprisingly empty. Every other time she’d come in she’d found thecommunications officer hunkered down over his desk but this time the paddedgray seat was barren, and she wasn’t nearly one to look a gift horse in themouth when it presented itself.

With a grin, she slipped inside and locked the door behindher, pocketing the folded twenties she’d tucked inside her right hand. No sensein wasting her resources, eh? She sat down at the console table and picked upthe phone, pausing to straighten out the small bit of paper before she composedherself to dial.

She checked her watch. Only quarter to four am in Europe,and she suspected her call would go unanswered. If it was a business number,though, she could leave a message and at least make some contact.  She cracked her knuckles and pausedbriefly, considering what to say.

Despite the fact that it went against most of herpersonality, marketing was what she’d chosen to specialize in. She thoughtabout what might make a good ‘hook’ for the possibly stuffy, probably stuck upcontinentals on the  other end ofthe phone.

Should she be aggressive? That was her normal mode and themode she knew her rival felt most comfortable with as well. The only differencewas, she admitted privately to herself, she’d never quite gotten that switch tosexy charm that Dar did so well, the one that could turn a frothing adversaryinto a drooling ape in roughly ten seconds.

She definitely hadn’t had that when they’d been dating.  Shari had been shocked to find herselfsnared by it long afterward.

So, possibly not aggressive with the Euros. She turned herthoughts to something more productive. Her few contacts with overseas vendorshad taught her they didn’t really appreciate that American style approach, atleast not very often.

Respectful. Shari nodded grudgingly, then she dialed thenumber, and waited, listening to the foreign sounding buzz in her ear.

**

The door light went off, and it opened so quickly afterwardthat it was obvious Michelle had started out before the session was over. Onelook at her face confirmed it, and if sparks really could fly from someone’seyes, the painted walls of the studio would have gone up in an instant.

“Uh oh.” Kerry brushed a speck of dust from her sleeve.“That doesn’t look good.”

“Hm.” Dar stood up as Michelle approached. “Problem?”

“Multiple sessions of triple digit jackassedness.” Michellereplied succinctly. “Good luck. Dar. For once, I hope to hell you take yourreputation to the absolute limit and eunuch those people.” She sat down in thechair Dar had just vacated and sat back, one toe tapping on the concrete floorin agitation.

“Hm.” Dar shifted a little, unsure of whether to plant herhands on her hips or cross her arms to punctuate the statement.

“Ms.. uh.. Roberts?” The girl with the pony tail interruptedher dilemma.

Dar glanced over at her.

“Could you come with me, please?”

Dar put one hand on Kerry’s shoulder, already sensing themotion as her partner went to stand up. “Depends.” She replied.

“Ma’am?”

“I said, it depends.” Dar repeated. “Tell your friendsinside there I have no intention of coming out with an expression  like Michelle’s here. So if that’s whatthey intend, forget it.”

The girl stared at her. “Ma’am?” She peered behind her. “Doyou want to be in this show?”

“No.”

“Excuse me?”

“No.” Dar began to wonder if the echoes in the big room wereaffecting the girl’s hearing. “I don’t want to be in this thing. So go tellthose guys either be civil or I’m outta here. Got me?”

The girl disappeared, though before she left she gave Dar alook usually reserved for the mentally deficient. The door closed behind her,but the light remained off, and the room fell back into uncomfortable silence.

“So.” Dar addressed Michelle. “What’s the deal?”

Michelle’s lips were twitching slightly. “You only get awaywith that because you’re really the one they want to get, you know that,right?”

“Sure.”

“Dar, you’re not going in there by yourself.” Kerryinterrupted.

“Listen, everyone else only had one representative.” Dartold her, giving her shoulder a little squeeze. “If there are asses to bekicked, I can handle that.”

“That’s not the point.” The blond woman got up. “This was mycontract.”

And so it was. Dar inclined her head in concession. “True.”She said. “Let’s see what our little friend comes back and says.”

“They actually asked me where Shari was.” Michelle supplied.“I didn’t tell them. It seemed to piss them  off.” She eyed Dar dourly. “You..” She paused. “Okay, let mebe honest. We screwed them over for their little happy ending, so now the dealis, scandal in corporate America. Get the drift?”

Dar cocked her head a little. “No.”

“They went after some pretty dirty details.” Mike spoke upfinally. “Brought up a deal that went south for us, two bloody years ago.”

“Skeletons, yes.” Graham nodded. “Fortunately, most of oursare fairly benign.”

Kerry scratched her jaw. “Hon.” She patted Dar on the side.“I don’t think we have any skeletons left that aren’t either tattooed on mychest or were featured on national television at least twice.” She looked atthe rest of them. “Really.”

“Hmph.” Michelle snorted.

Graham pursed his lips and shrugged.

“You’ve got a skeleton tattooed on your chest?” Mike askedingeniously.

“Let’s go.” Dar decided she was over it. “C’mon.” She tookKerry by the arm and started for the inner door. “Let’s get this over with.”

**

The phone answered on what seemed like the thirtieth ring.“Hundemann Incorporated.” A cultured voice echoed lightly through the phone.“How may I help you?”

Well, at least it wasn’t a cleaningwoman. Or at least, shedidn’t think so. “Good morning.” Shari replied. “I know it’s very early there,and I apologize for calling at this hour.”

“Not a problem.” The voice sounded a touch warmer. “We’requite used to calls at all hours.”

Oh, really? Shari found that interesting. “Ah huh.”

“The hostel business is round the clock, as it were.” Thewoman clarified. “How may I forward your inquiry?”

“Of course.” Shari said. “I was hoping to speak with SirMelton Gilberthwaite? I completely understand if he’s not available, perhaps Ican leave word for him with an assistant?’

“Please hold one moment. I will see who’s in at thatlocation.” The operator sounded almost cheerful. “I think they had a Far Eastmeeting today, so let me just check.”

A soft classical tune began playing in her ear, and Sharisat back, wondering if luck wasn’t coming her way at last.

**

“Look, I don’t know what the hell’s going on, but I’ve got aschedule I need to  keep.” Thewoman with the  pony tail wassaying. “We’ve got this studio booked in an hour for an night shoot with MTV.”

Meyer gave her a look. “All right, hold your tits, sister.I’ll get this straightened out.” He brushed passed her and stalked towards thedoor. “Pain the ass little..” He stopped short, nearly crashing into Dar as shecame through the door with Kerry right behind her. “Oh.”

“Oh.” Dar didn’t even slow down. She came right up to himand poked him in the chest. “Oh, you’ve got about ten minutes of my time to wrap up your game, Meyer,because I’m not wasting one more minute more than that on you.”

“Hey, wait a minute!” Meyer backed up a step. “Just who doyou..”

“You know who I think I am.” Dar didn’t let up. “So go overthere, and put up or shut up.” She gave him a shove for good measure, aware ofKerry’s close presence at her back. “Ten minutes!”

Meyer was caught offbalance, and so he gave way, turning andmoving back towards the filming area. “Fine.” He tossed back over his shoulder.“Go with her. She’ll get you ready.”

Dar studied the space. Inside a ring of lights and twocameras on dollies were two high directors chairs in a dark fabric. It was allvery stark and utilitarian, and to her eyes, profoundly depressing. “Hmph.” Sheignored Pony Tail and ducked between the two cameras, whose operators werestaring at her in fascination. “Think you could spare a few dollars for freshbedsheets for this?” She pointed at the backdrop, which had several tears heldtogether with gaffers tape.

Meyer just looked at her, then went back to studying a pieceof paper, murmuring to a slim, gray haired woman standing next to him.

“Okay.. ah.” Pony Tail hurried over. “Let’s just get you ..uh.. both.. uh.. ready.”

Dar took a seat and leaned her elbows on the chair arms.“I’m ready.”

“Me too.” Kerry hopped up onto the next chair.

Pony Tail stopped short. “Do you want us to.. “She made somevague hand gestures towards their heads. “Um. We usually want to do a littlehair, a little makeup..”

“No, we’re fine.” Kerry responded, in a kind tone. “Butthanks anyway. If we crack the lenses, I’ll give you a credit card.”

The girl shrugged, and walked off, shaking her head. 

The two cameramen started to fiddle with their controls,making the cameras bob up and down like some odd animals, moving in and out onwhere Dar and Kerry were sitting. Dar put up with the show for a minute, then cleared her throat. “Meyer?Nine minutes.”

Meyer’s head jerked up. “Wh… oh, shit.” He glared at PonyTail. “You didn’t say you were ready.” He folded the piece of paper andstraightened his jacket before he walked over to them, sitting down in a chairtucked up against where the cameras were.

“They wouldn’t let me do anything.” Pony Tail shrugged. “Butthat works for me, because if you get out of here on time, I can go get sometacos before Gloria Estefan shows up.” She signaled to one of the camera guys,who adjusted some lights and focused them on Dar and Kerry.

“Forgot my sunglasses.” Kerry lamented.

“Please be quiet.” Meyer instructed. “I’m going to startasking questions. I’ll address you by name, and I expect the person I’maddressing to answer me.”

Dar chuckled softly under her breath.

Meyer looked up. “Excuse me? Did you say something, Ms.Roberts?”

“Nope.” Dar interlaced her fingers. “But I will. So let’sget started.”

Meyer gave her an unpleasant smile. “Hope you remember yousaid that, Ms. Roberts.  Very well.Jenna, give me a clapper please, and we’ll go.”

His assistant moved around in front of him and held a clichéquality film clapboard before the camera. “ILS takedown, first pass.” She saidin an unemotional voice. “Action.”

**

“Thank you for holding.” The woman’s voice came back. “Onemoment, all right? Someone in that office can speak with you  now.”

“Thanks.” Shari glanced at the door, which had just issuedsome suspicious rattling sounds as though the handle were being tried. Shedrummed the fingers of her free hand on the desk, and hoped it wouldn’t take aslong for the next secretary to answer. Last thing she needed them to hear was abunch of those ship jerks yelling.

The line buzzed softly, then, thankfully was answered. “GoodMorning, executive operations. This is Patricia. Can I help you?’

The door rattled again. “Good morning.” Shari half turnedaway from the door. “Yes, if it’s possible, I would like to speak with SirMelton Gilberthwaite?”

“Sir Melton’s on a conference call at the moment.” The womananswered promptly. “May I enquire as to what this is about?’

Hm. Good question. “It’s a business matter.” Shari said. “Iwas referred to him in regards to one of his properties.. to possibly providesome services.”

“Ah.” Patricia cleared her throat. “I see. Well, I can’t saywhen he’ll be done. Perhaps you could leave your name and a contact number?”

Damn, damn, damn. Shari glared at the phone in frustration.Not only didn’t she know what telephone line the damn thing was connected to,she had no idea how long she’d have possession of it.  “I’m between locations at the moment.” She temporized.“Could you maybe give me an idea of when I might try back?”

“Difficult to tell.” The woman responded. “And there’ssomeone waiting to speak with him here in the office. Perhaps two hours? Heshould have a few moments free before he breaks for breakfast.”

Shari made a face, her fingers tensing on the paper. “Thatcould be difficult.” She sighed. “Thanks for letting me know – can I leavemy  name with you, at least?”

“Of course.” Patricia replied, then hesitated. “Oh, wait. Ihear them taking a quick breather. Maybe I can squeeze you in. Hang on.” Sheput Shari on hold, leaving her to listen once again to transatlantic classicaltunes.

“C’mon.. c’mon.” Shari glanced over her shoulder, hearingnow a definite rattle, and the sound of upset voices outside. “Shut up youassholes… there’s no one you need to call this late and your porn sites’ll waita few minutes.”

Vivaldi played on in her ear unrelentingly.

**

Meyer cleared his throat slightly. “Ms. Roberts.”

“That’s my name.” Dar responded promptly. “Next question?”

Meyer waved his hand. “Cut.” He leaned forward and restedhis elbows on his knees. “Ms. Roberts, can you cut the bullshit, please?”

“Why? You won’t.” Dar twiddled her thumbs. “Six minutes.”She caught a glimpse of Pony Tail out of the corner of her eye, smirking atMeyer. “Want your quote or not?”

The man sat back. “Roll.” He rotated his finger in the air,waiting for the belated clap of the board as Pony Tail hurried back over andsnapped it. “Ms. Roberts, you’re company’s down thirty percent on contractrenewals, your outlooking business is lousy,  and you’ve just spent a million dollars on a paper boat youcan’t even use to take pot shots at. What do you tell your stockholders, Mondaymorning?”

Dar had seriously been expecting a personal attack, and nowshe had to stop and consider what kind of answer she could give to a legitimatebusiness one.

And it was legitimate, they all knew it. Even Kerry knew it.Dar could feel the sudden, small shifts of her partner’s body close by, Kerry’sunconscious fight or flight reflexes surging into action.

So here she was, right down to it. No more time to bullshit,no more time to wonder what the hell to do, just time to put on display whyAlastiar paid her as much as he did.

And why was that, exactly? Dar shrugged caution off to thewinds. Hell, if she was going to go down, might as well go down in the biggestass fireworks display she could come up with. “Me?” She inquired mildly. “I’mnot going to tell them anything.”

Meyer leaned forward, his eyes glinting.

“It’s not my job to tell them anything.” Dar cut him offbefore he could get another dig in. “My job is to take the company and it’sclients into the future of technology with confidence and competence, and that,Mr. Meyer, is exactly what I do.”

Nice sound bite. Kerry complimented her partner silently.

“That doesn’t answer that question, Ms. Roberts.” Meyerreplied mildly.  “Because no matterwho tells them, that answer comes from you. So, again, what is it you’re goingto say to justify what you did?”

Okay, so Meyer was pretty good. “Do I have to justify it?”Dar asked.

“Of course you do.” Meyer answered, in that same, calm tone.“You’re an officer in a publicly held company.”

“Exactly. So what if my explanation breaks theconfidentiality clause that office holds me to?”  Dar delicately pulled out her thinnest, sharpest rapier andprobed with it. “Surely  you can’texpect me to do that.”

Warily, Mayer edged back. “Are you saying there is somethingyou’re holding back?”

“Am I?”

The man shifted, as though he wanted to get  up and approach Dar. Dar merely smiledcharmingly at him. There was doubt in his expression now, a frustratedwondering what Dar was up to. She knew she couldn’t fence with him for long,but it was nice to have this one moment of sweet and very perceptible victory.

“You are, and I think you might want to let us in on it,because you might not get another chance, from what I hear.” Meyer answered,with a triumphant smile of his own. “So, I’ll ask one more time, Ms. Roberts, what do you say to the peoplewho trusted you with their money as to how you just squandered it?”

Ball. Her court. Shit.

Dar was very aware of Kerry’s eyes on her, as well as thecameras, and suddenly she just relaxed and let the anxiety go. “What do I say?I say to them, count your dividends, ladies and gents. That million I tossedonto the table bought me back a deal from the new owners for a hundred timesthat, at least.”

Oh. God. Kerry listened to the outright lie and fought tokeep her face from reacting.

“Oh really.” Meyer said. “Interesting, since I have it ongreat authority he doesn’t deal with Yankees.”

Dar’s eyes twinkled gently. “I ain’t no Yankee.” Shedrawled.

“And we have many, many transatlantic partners.” Kerrychimed in for the first time. “One of the great advantages we bring to ourclients.”

Without missing a beat, Meyer pulled out his cell phone.

**

“Hello? Yes, one moment please. I was able to get Sir Miltonfor you.” The secretary sounded somewhat smug and pleased with herself. “It’sonly for a moment, though.”

“Perfect, that’s all I need.” Shari assured her. “Honest.”

The line clicked through, and she heard a deep throatclearing. “Hello?” She ventured.

“Yes? Hello? What is this?” A gruff voice barked at her.“Who’s speaking?”

“Good morning, sir.. thanks for taking a moment to chat withme.” Shari got out quickly. “My names…” Her head jerked up as the door slammed inward,and the captain appeared with the communications engineer right behind him.“Ah, just a second…”

“Get that.” The captain pointed at the phone. “You men, takehold of her, and quickly.”

“Wait!” Shari got up and started to back away, but theengineer was too fast for her. He grabbed the phone, it’s end issuing brokensnatches of puzzled outrage. “Wait! NO! Stop!”

The engineer slammed the phone down, shoving her away andcursing at her in Russian. 

“Get away from me.” Shari warned the two big seaman who nowheaded for her. “Don’t you touch me!” She hit the wall with her back, but in the small space, she had no whereto go and they grabbed her arms with rough familiarity. “Stop it!”

“Shut up, woman.” The captain ordered. “Or I will have themgag you. It is your choice.”

“I’ll have the law on you!” Shari screamed.

“Idiot!” The captain shouted back. “Is it not obvious thathere, I am the law?” He looked at themen. “Take her down to the tender shell dock.”

Shari realized in a state of shock that she was no longer incontrol of her own destiny. The two men lifted her up between them, theirexpressionless faces not even registering her as they stared past her andshoved her out the door. She didn’t even think of struggling, feeling thestrength in the hands the gripped her, and for the first time, a whitewash offear came  over her.

Oh my god. “All I did was use the damn phone!” She suddenlycalled back over her shoulder. “I’ll pay for it! Jesus!”

The captain had already disappeared, leaving the communicationsengineer to watch them go, a big grin on his face.  He lifted his hand and waved at her, then slowly let hisfingers close until only one was uplifted.

“God damn it!” Shari disappeared down the stairs between hercaptors, heading downward.

“Stupid bitch.” The engineer commented, with a shake of hishead.

“Loud, as well.” The captain reappeared. “It is good youcame to get me, Igor. Now we will rid ourselves of this noisy piece of garbage,eh?”

“Eh.” The engineer nodded.

**

“What in the hell was that?” Sir Milton stared at the phonein outrage, tossing it from him onto the small table. “Patricia, what nonsenseis this? Nothing on that line but a bunch of gibberish.”

“Sorry, sir. It was a lady.” The woman hurried over andreplaced the phone. “Something about a business matter .. she wouldn’t leave aname.”

“Pah. Someone trying to sue me for paternity again, morelikely. Don’t trust women further than you can throw them, Patricia.”

“Of course not, sir.” The aide gave him a brief smile.  “Would you like some tea? I have someready for you.”

“Damn straight I do, and who’s that out there?” The olderman barked. “I see a shadow! Hello!”

“Oh, sir.. it’s just someone wanting a bit of your time, Itold him he had to wait f.. oh, sir, please, do wait outside..”

Sir Milton slapped his hand on the table. “Quiet, girl.” Heordered, peering through the shadows. “Ah!” He straightened a little insurprise as the newcomer became visible. “Bloody hell, it’s you!”

“It is.” The visitor clasped his hands behind his back, andducked his head as Patricia hurried past. “I know that you did not expect me.”He said. “But I have something you will be interested in, that I promise.”

Patricia paused at the doorway. “I’m terribly sorry sir.”She said. “Do you know this person? He didn’t say so, or I would have broughthim in before now. “

Sir Milton snorted. “Know him? Bugger’s my godson. Sit downyou damn idiot and if she brings you tea, you drink it, hear me? No bloodyarguments.”

The visitor circled the small table and took a seat, foldinghis hands over one knee and issuing a polite smile. “Tea would be good, yes.”

“Tea, Patricia. Tea.” Sir Milton made a motion with onehand.  “Now, what’s this all about?Haven’t seen you in a dog’s age and here you are just  like a bad pence turning up in my pocket again.”

“You will not think so when I am done speaking.”

“You say.”

“I do say.”

**

“I said, let me go you apes!” Shari knew it was probablyfutile, but she struggled anyway, figuring that if she threw them all down the goddamn stairs at least she’d have the pleasure of landing on the fuckers.  Her arms ached where the men grippedher, and as she fought against them the pain went from an ache to an outrightsearing.  “God damn it!!!”

Stolidly, the two men dragged her down the last flight ofsteps and into the dark, cold loading area she’d first come down to the shipin.  All the sea doors were closedtightly, but the creaking of the metal around them and the motion attested tothe rising seas just beyond the steel walls.  “Uh.” One man indicated a door at the far side of the holdand they dragged her over to it. Pushing it open.

Inside, it smelled strongly of diesel, rust, and the sea.“STOP!!!” Shari yelled desperately. “Help! Help!!!”

The second man pulled the door closed behind them and theystarted down a last flight of metal stairs, their boots and her curses echoingin the stairwell.

After the last step was a platform, facing yet anotherhatch, this one dripping with more grease and covered in more rust than even theones up on the deck above. A series of letters and numbers were painted on theinside of the hatch, and the first man used his free hand to lift up thereceiver of a pristine, incongruous beige phone mounted firmly on the wall. Hedialed a number. “Open 12.”  Hemuttered briefly after it was answered, then hung up.

Shari paused to catch her breath, her throat aching from thescreams. It was quiet for a moment, then a loud boom almost scared hersenseless, and she jerked back as the hydraulic lifting mechanism began to openthe hatch.

It groaned in protest, and after it slid upward about afoot, the scent of the sea washed strongly in along with a bit of the oceanitself as a wave came up over the edge of the door. “Oh my god.” Shari staredat it, the liquid pooling down in a grate and disappearing.

The wind blasted in a moment later as the door continued torise, whipping them with sea water. Shari found herself being held tight, asshe stared out the hatch at a very dark, very rolling sea.

There was nothing past the dim light the ship threw off.Just a faint suggestion of white ruffling, and a hint of what might have beencloud shadows to differentiate between the sky and the water.

The two men gazed impassively out at it, obviouslyunimpressed. “Gonna see fish.” One commented jerking Shari’s arm. “Betta keepy’mouth shut.”

Shari felt her throat close, and for once she took someone’sadvice without commenting on it. They weren’t really going to throw her out,were they?

A door opened to her right, and she looked quickly, to see asmall, oval door folding in towards her, as the captain stepped over the silland joined them. He turned and closed the portal after him, dogging the locksshut on what was obviously a watertight entryway. “Gentlemen.” He greeted thetwo sailors, who both nodded respectfully but kept hold of Shari.

The captain went to the open hatch, stepping lightly on theedge and leaning out into the salt spray. He appeared to enjoy it, turning hishead from side to side and then shaking it to rid it of it’s moisture. Hestepped back and glanced at Shari. “A fine night to be on the sea. As you shallfind out shortly.”

“You can’t put me out there.” Shari kept her voice even,with a great deal of effort.

“Of course I can.” The captain replied, with a smile. “I amthe master of the ship. These men will do whatever I ask of them, and we are ininternational waters.”

Shari just looked at him.

“You are a stowaway. You have no papers.  You have no identification.” The manwent on. “I have no obligation to carry you in my vessel, save that obligationthat one has to any decent creature out here. However, you are no decentcreature, and so, I will have you off my ship.”

“There are laws.” Shari managed to get out.

“Yes, there are.” The captain agreed. “But you will be in noposition to argue them.” He stepped to one side. “Bring her here.”  He sniffed reflectively. “You mightwant to kick your shoes off.”

Frozen in disbelief, Shari could only stare at him as shewas dragged forward to the opening, a scream erupting only when she was shovedroughly out the hatch into the dark sea beyond.

**

“I’m sure you won’t mind if I just check up on yourbrilliant maneuvering, right?” Meyer held the phone up to his ear, as Pony Tail hurried to attach asmall microphone to it. “Getting this?” He asked over his shoulder.

“Got it, sir.” The man behind the sound console replied.“Got it all.”

Dar had never considered herself to possess any actingskills whatsoever, and she  knewthe only thing keeping her from blowing everything was that she was too shockedto react. She let the knowledge of what Meyer was doing slip past her, andcocked her head, studying the mechanism of the camera instead.

There was nothing she could do. She leaned her elbow on thearm of the chair and propped her head up on her fist, resisting the urge towhistle aimlessly.  She didn’t dareso much as look at Kerry, and she could only imagine what facial expression herpartner had.

Benign interest would have described it. Kerry leaned back inher chair and rested her elbows on the arms, appearing as relaxed as one couldin front of two cameras. She’d had more practice than Dar had, and one of thefirst thing she’d learned as a young girl was how to not let the press knowwhen they’d gotten to her.

They were about to be busted on camera. Kerry reconciledherself to that, and didn’t regret, even so, the course Dar had taken to getthem where they were. If this was how it ended, then it was, and the worstthing that could possibly come out of this was…

“Hello, yes. I need to speak immediately with Sir MeltonGilberthwaite.” Meyer said. “It’s Jason Meyer. Urgent. Put him on the phone.”

Pretentious jackass. Kerry wrinkled her nose. “I’m pretty sure Sir Melton doesn’t appreciatebeing summoned, Mr. Meyer.”

Meyer looked at her, but didn’t reply.

Dar tipped her head back and studied the overhead lights.They hung from a bare, metal bar grid suspended from the ceiling, and itoccurred to her that the stage, like the entire project, was just one big fascadein the service of someone else’s view of reality.

“I don’t care. Put him on the phone.” Meyer insisted. “Itold you, this is urgent. I’m filming, and I need to speak with him at once.”

Maybe they would get lucky. Dar pondered. Maybe Sir Meltonwould tell Meyer to kiss his ass. 

“Thank you. Sir Melton? This is Jason Meyer.”

Ah well. Dar tilted her head back to level and regardedMeyer. It had been a good old college try, right? Least she went out with aboom, instead of a whimper.

“That’s right. Glad you remember me. Listen, I was justspeaking with someone who says they’re a new business partner of yours, and Ijust wa.. excuse me?”

Dar’s ear twitched.

“No, no, um… no it’s ILS, and th..” Meyer listened, his faceturning pale even as Dar watched. “Well, I’m very sorry, but.. well, no, yousee..  oh, uh.. I’m glad you’vemade a deal bu… sir?  Sir? Hello?”

Kerry sensed a mole whacking in the process ofoccurring.  Her hand twitched, asthough reaching for a mallet. “Something wrong, Mr. Meyer?” She asked politely.“Would you like some water? You look a little funny.”

Meyer folded his phone up and stared at it, then he let itdrop to his knee and looked over at them. “Well, Ms. Roberts.” He glanced atKerry. “Ms. Stuart.” He added, after a pause. “Congratulations.”

“Thank you.” Dar replied graciously.

“Your reputation is assuredly deserved. Since this challengehad ended up no win situation, the best you should have been able to come outwith is a reasonable loss, and yet, you come out with a win.” Meyer was nowlooking at them with wry, bittersweet admiration. “How did you do that?”

And, Dar realized, he’d gotten his ending, despite her andeverything else.  Oh well. She wasin no position to whine about it. “We’re the best.”  She produced what she hoped was a sexy, confident smile.“What else do you need to know?”

Apparently it was, and apparently it was more than enough.“Cut.” Meyer lifted his hand, and let it drop. “Boy, that’s going to be anediting nightmare. “He said. “But you gave me what I wanted, Ms. Roberts.” Headded. “Nice little bit of suspense at the end and everything, and a surprise.Studio’ll love it.”

Dar got up and brushed herself off. “Glad everyone walksaway happy.” She muttered. “Ker?”

“Right behind you.” Kerry edged around the two men who hadcome forward to start taking away the set pieces. “Excuse us.”

They walked together to the door and went through it,closing it behind them before they stopped and looked at each other. “How did we do that?” Kerry uttered, under her breath, givingthe rest of the group a little smile as they got up and headed over.

Dar blinked wide, blue eyes at her, then jerked a little asher PDA went off. She studied the message, then smiled, and tucked it backaway. “Well, we are the best.” She told her partner. “And sometimes, we’re justthe luckiest.” She put an arm around Kerry’s shoulders and relaxed. “It’s over,people.”

“How’d you do?” Michelle asked.

“Bout like you’d expect.” Kerry smiled charmingly at  her. “Tell you what, let’s go todinner. We’ll tell you all about it.”

“Why..” Michelle gave her a wary look. “Do I get the feelingyou’re going to enjoy that a lot more than I am?”

“We’re buying.” Dar added. “C’mon.”  They led the way towards the outerdoor, where a small group of people had just entered and were looking around.They all wore leather jackets and gloomy expressions except for the woman inthe center, who was dressed like a native and who had apparently been therebefore. “Excuse us.”

“Sorry.” The woman drew her group aside. “We’re just doing avideo here now.”

“Good luck.” Kerry smiled as she pushed the door open. “Makesure they give you chairs.”

“Um.. thanks. I will.” The woman gave them a very strangelook, as the door closed and they were outside again in the warm humid air.

It was over. Dar felt about ten pounds lighter. It was over,and they’d won. Lucky or not, it didn’t matter.

Oh, yeah.

**

Shari  flailedher arms as she toppled out over the edge of the doorway, seeing a flash ofwhite that abruptly turned into something big and hard and painful just beforeshe should have felt the water’s icy sting instead. “Yahhh!” She yelped indisoriented pain. “Ah! Ah!”

Confused, she rolled over, finding herself lying on a rough,sandpaper feeling surface, hurting like hell. Standing over her was a small,blond woman she half recognized, who was snickering at her in a very unkindway. “Wh..” She struggled up onto one elbow and stared back at the ship, wherethe captain was in the opening waving at her. “What the f..”

“My American friends say to this.. “The captain yelled.“PSYCHE.” He ducked inside after one last wave and the door ground it’s waytiredly shut.

The blond woman snickered again. “He does have the damndestsense of humor.” She turned her head. “We out of here, sailor boy?”

“Yeap.”

Shari felt her throat go dry again, and she shaded her eyesas she looked up at the top level of the boat. A shadowy figure was up there,driving, and she knew suddenly who it was.

Oh shit. Now she wished she was back on the god damnedcruise ship headed for Hell again. She was screwed. She was totally, completelyscrewed. “Fuck.”

“Occasionally.” The woman sat down in a deck chair andtucked one leg up under her. “You might want to give it a try sometime.”

Shari stared at her.

“Just think. It’s how Dar got here.” Ceci continued. “Howbad could it be, really, hm?”

It was all just too much. Shari  put her head back on the deck and just stared up at theclouds, not even caring where they were going or why.

**

The moon had come out from behind the summer clouds at last,here in the wee early hours of the morning. Kerry gazed up at it lovingly,letting it’s silver light soak into her eyes as the hot water of the Jacuzzisoaked into her bare body.

A soft clink nearby made her roll her head to one side,spotting Dar emerging from the condo carrying a champagne bottle and twoglasses in one hand and a basket of strawberries in the other.

She was also naked, and as far as sensory pleasures went,Kerry figured she was pretty much on terminal overload at the moment. “Hey,sweetheart.” She greeted Dar warmly.

“Hm?” Dar stepped into the hot tub and settled next to her,putting her treats down on the verge. “What can I do for you, beautiful?” Sheinquired, facing Kerry and giving her a rakish grin. “Now that we’ve gotten tothe end of the project from Hell?”

It was so nice to see Dar in a truly good mood. Kerry smiledback at her, lifting one hand from the water and laying it across her partner’scheek without saying a word.

Dar seemed to understand. She reached back and picked up theglasses with one hand, pouring bubbly into them and then passing one to Kerry.They clinked their rims together and took mutual sips. “To winning.” She said,with a wry twinkle in her eyes. “Even when it surprises us.”

“To us.” Kerry answered. “Because winning is pointless andempty unless you have someone to share it with.”

“Mm.” Dar squirmed closer until they were pressed againsteach other. She tipped her head back against the padded bumper and gazed up atthe stars. “What an end to this day.”

“Uh huh.” Kerry sipped slowly at her champagne, enjoying thetickle of the bubbles going down that matched the tickle of the bubbles fromthe waterjets around her. “I’m unbelievably glad it’s over with, but I have tobe honest and tell you I never expected it to come together the way it did.”

Dar set her glass down and chuckled. “Anyone who could everhave expected this obviously spends a lot of time consuming illicitpharmecuticals.”  She observed.“And since the most wild thing I’ve ever seen you swallow was orange flavoredChildren’s Tylenol, I’m not surprised you were surprised.”

Kerry’s face relaxed into a broad grin. “Aint’ that thetruth.” She admitted. “As far as vices go, I’m pretty lightweight.”

Dar selected a powdered sugar dusted berry and offered it toher. “Do I count?”

“As a vice?” Kerry’s eyes twinkled as she chewed her berry.“Oooo.. yeah, I think  you do.”

“Heh heh heh.” Dar tossed a berry into the air and caught it in her teeth. “Good.” She leanedover and waited for Kerry to bite the half sticking out of her mouth, then theyboth bit down at once and ended up pretty much in a lip lock.

Strawberry flavored, at that. “Mm.”  Dar straightened up and waggled hereyebrows. “Much more fun than drugs.”

“Cheaper, too.” Kerry agreed.

“Hey.” Dar spread her arms out and indicated theirsurroundings. “This ain’t the YMCA, Yankee. You insinuating I’m cheap?”

“No.” Kerry placed a gentle kiss on her partner’s shoulder.“You’re priceless.” She gazed up at Dar with utter seriousness. “Not to mentiondefinitely one of a kind.”

Dar blushed, and blinked a little, at the switch inattitude. “Um.”

“And you’re all mine.” Kerry whispered, giving the shouldernear her lips a small bite, just to break the mood again. “Love you.”

Wide, blue eyes gazed back at her.

Kerry winked, and smiled.

After a second, Dar grinned back and slid down a bit intothe water, giving the impression of a tail wiggling puppy totally at odds withher stature. “You’re awesome.”

“Am I?”

“Yeah. You really are.” Dar put her arm across Kerry’sshoulders, and hugged her.  Thenshe picked up her glass and touched it against Kerry’s again.

“Mm. “ Kerry stretched her legs out into the flow and leanedher head against Dar’s shoulder. “You know, I thought those guys were going tobe more pissed off than they were.” She said. “Even Michelle was just sort ofresigned about it.”

Dar took a swallow of her champagne and licked her lipsthoughtfully. “Want to offer her a job?”

“Gurk.” Kerry almost ended up snorting her bubbly.

“Hey, they were trying to offer us jobs the last month.” Darsaid, reasonably. “She’s not bad, and I’d rather have her on our team thanheading up another attempt at screwing us over.”

“That was Shari.”

“The brains behind that was Michelle, and she’s in a placewhere she wants to win for a change.” Dar disagreed.

Kerry considered that while she drained her glass.  She gently rolled the edge of the fluteagainst her lower lip for a moment, and then shrugged. “Okay.” She said. “Atleast then, if you and I decide to take off and go our own way, there’ll besomeone there who can make me feel like I’m not leaving the company totallytanked with. “

Dar regarded her in some surprise. “Wasn’t thinking of thatreally… but you have a point.”

Kerry nodded, holding her glass out. “Fill her up, Dixie.I’m in the mood to get a little silly tonight.”

Dar obliged. “Feels good not to have to worry about thisdamn project, doesn’t it?’

“You bet.” Kerry leaned her head back and closed her eyes.“Feels very, very good.”  Shemurmured. “Very, very nice not to feel stressed to the point my guts ache.”

Dar gazed off at the horizon, sipping the rest of herchampagne as she watched the stars twinkle overhead. “It’s going to be niceworking from the cabin next week” She commented casually.

“Oh yeah.”

“Maybe I can figure out a way to make that a more frequentarrangement.”

Kerry opened her eyes and lifted her glass, taking a sipfrom it. “Maybe you can.” She agreed quietly. “You hear from the folks yet?”

Dar nodded. “They’re due into South Pointe in about anhour.”

Kerry waited, but nothing more seemed to be forthcoming.“And?”

“Said they’d talk to me about it after they got back.”

“Ah.” Kerry drained her glass again and set it down. “Hope yourmother kicked her ass to kingdom come.”

“Huh?” Dar’s cell phone rang, and she lifted it off theverge and opened it. “Ah.” She held it to her ear. “Morning, Hans.”

“Are you not sleeping?” Hans answered. “I will call later,if that is not the case.”

Dar chuckled. “Kerry and I are in the hot tub. Don’t bothercalling later. What’s up?”

“Ahem.” The German cleared his throat. “You will need tocome here so that this wonderful deal of ours can be signed. Perhaps after nextweek.”

“Sure.” Dar agreed. “Thanks for telling me you were part ofthe family over there, by the way.”

Hans chuckled now. “We do not show all  our cards, even to our friends.” Hesaid. “We were very fortunate that I moved when I did, you must realize.  He was committed to say yes to whateverpersons figured out the deal and asked him first.”

“Really?” Dar glanced at Kerry, who had squirmed up tolisten. “Risky, especially since he doesn’t like Americans that much.” Sheconsidered switching to English, then figured she’d just fill the blond womanafterward.

“He is not a stupid man. He knows who put the machinesinside those ships. I have to say, however, that he was not so disappointed tofind who my partner in this was.”

“Ah.”

“He seems to think that I have stepped up in the world, infact.”

Dar laughed. “Well, he hasn’t met me yet.” She remarked.“But I’m glad it worked out. Remind me to tell you what I went through tonightover this when we get together to sign it.”

“I will do so. But before that can occur, there must besomething straightened between us.” Hans’ voice became more serious. “There issomething that before I did not tell you.”

Dar’s eyebrow quirked. “Yeah?”

“It is a matter of a piece of technology.” Hans said. “Apiece of cellular technology that you perhaps found inside of your office, atone time.”

It was easily the last thing she expected to hear.  “He’s asking me about the gadget Markfound in the conference room.” She murmured to Kerry. “I think he knowssomething about it.”

“Really?” Kerry inched closer. “How?”

“What about it?” Dar responded in German. “How did you hearabout that?”

Hans cleared his throat. “I caused it to be put there.”

Dar’s jaw dropped. “You did?” She managed to get out insomething other than a squeak.

“What?” Kerry nearly crawled up Dar’s body.

“I did.” Hans confirmed. “It was not simple, you understand,to acquire the thing, and I am saying it was brilliant even for myself toarrange to be put there.”

Several things jumped to Dar’s lips, and she stifled them.“Why?” She kept her voice even.

“Ah heh.” Hans seemed a little embarrassed. “To satisfy thelittle kicking that you gave to me, yes?” He admitted. “I could not let that gounanswered.”

Dar put her glass down and raised her hand to cover her eyesinstead. “Son of a bitch.”

“What???” Kerry hissed. “What in the heck’s goingofuf…mmph.” She got the message, and subsided, her lips tingling from thekiss.  Dar’s free hand droppedunder the water and she felt the pressure of it against her hip, her body respondingto the touch immediately.

“It was clever, yes?” Hans said. “An intriguing machine, tobe sure.”

“Except I found it.” Dar gathered her wits. “Before it coulddo anything, so your little trick didn’t quite work.” Absently, she traced aline up Kerry’s side and across her ribs.

“Ah, no.”

“And the guys who own the thing are signing a developmentdeal with us.”

“Is that not always the case with you?” Hans sounded wrylyhumorous. “I am convinced if you fell into a puddle of mud you would get somefree facials from it.” He said. “But at any difference, if it does matter to you I am sorry if thatcaused you any difficulties.”

Dar exhaled. “Hans, trust me when I tell you of all the crapI’ve had to deal with in the last month, that was the least of it. Glad youtold me.”

“I feel much better now. I will go have a beer.” Hansreplied.

“For breakfast?”

“It is better for you than is coffee. I will be in touch insome days to make plans. Good night.”

Dar closed the phone and set it down. She looked at Kerry,who was crouched over her, chin resting on Dar’s breastbone. “One more mysterysolved.” She informed her. “Seems like..”

Kerry’s hands slid down Dar’s body. “Know what?” She liftedher head up a little and kissed her partner. “I’ve got another mystery I’drather talk about right now.”

“Oh. Don’t you want to hear..mph.” Dar felt the bubblingwater between them disappear, replaced by Kerry’s body pressing against hers.“Guess not.” Kerry’s thigh slipped between hers and she felt the blond woman’sarm circle around her, pulling her even closer.

“No.” Kerry kissed her again. “Tomorrow.” She felt Dar’sarms close around her. The pressure made her hiccup a little, and she accepteda touch of dizziness as the champagne worked into her bloodstream. “Or maybeMonday.” She added, hearing Dar’s soft chuckle in her ear. “What I want rightnow is you.”

“Got me.” Dar whispered. “C’mere.”

Oh yeah. Kerry went willingly, losing all sense of hersurroundings as Dar’s touch became intimate, and the pressure of the water jetsblasted against her suddenly very sensitive skin. Lovely way to end the day.

Lovely.

**

The lights of the city came into view on the horizon,twinkling gently and throwing a soft glow onto the overhead clouds. Ceci lifted her wine glass and sipped from it,enjoying the breeze the boat’s speed was affording her at the moment.

It would slack down soon, when Andy entered the shippingchannel but the up side to that was that they’d pull into their home marinasoon after and rid themselves of their unwelcome guest.  They’d hardly spoken a word to eachother since leaving the cruise ship behind, and Ceci had refused to offer hereven so much as a glass of water on top of it.

Dar had asked them to retrieve the wench, she hadn’t saidthey needed to offer her hospitality, and Ceci was damned if she was going toattempt to be nice after all the crap the woman had pulled on her daughters.

Who-a. Ceci’s eyeballs widened, and she hastily took a gulpof wine. Let’s not take this whole maternal thing too far, hm?

“How much longer do we have to go?” Shari asked, in asubdubded voice.

Ceci craned her neck and viewed the horizon. “About an hour.”She decided. “Depends on whether or not my husband is in the mood for playingchicken with those freighters over there.”

Shari looked up at the flying bridge, then returned herattention to the water.  “Why didyou bother doing that?” She asked suddenly. “Going all the way out there?’

“Dar asked us to.” Ceci replied simply.

“Why?”The younger woman asked. “What the hell was she afterthis time?”

Ceci had pondered that very question herself, but didn’t seeany need to expose that fact. “You’ll have to ask her that.” She replied. “Ofcourse, there’s always the possibility she just did it because it was a decentthing for her to do.”

Shari snorted.

“In which case, you’ve got her father to thank for thattrait, cause it certainly didn’t come from me.” Ceci smiled humorlessly. “I’dhave let you go right to the bottom, which I think was a hundred fathoms there.”

Shari looked at her in surprise.

“I am not idiot tolerant.” Ceci explained. “And someone whokeeps banging their heads against a concrete sidewalk is a total idiot in mybook.”

Shari looked away. “I don’t expect you to understand.”

Ceci laughed. “See? You are an idiot.” She said. “I raisedher.” She added, in a amused tone. “Of course I understand. You’re the one whodoesn’t.”

Shari looked towards the shore, as though wishing it wouldcome closer faster.

“Listen.” Ceci leaned on one chair arm. “I’ll give you somefree advice, and maybe it’ll be worth the time it’ll take for me to say it. Youcan’t win.”

Shari looked sharply at her. “Bull.”

Ceci shook her head seriously. “You can’t, because theharder you push, the harder she pushes back, and if you keep pushing, trustme  kid, you’re the one who isgoing to end up being knocked over.” She held up a finger as Shari started tospeak. “She gets that from him.” A thumb pointed up towards the bridge. “Therejust is no losing in either of them.”

Shari looked off into the distance and didn’t answer.

Ah well. Ceci got up and stretched, setting down her cup andgoing over to the ladder to climb up it. She joined Andrew at the helm and satdown next to him, leaving the sulky obnoxi-tude down below. “Almost there? I wantto jet clean the back deck.”

“Heh.” Andrew chuckled softly. “Ah do not get why Dar donethat.”

Ceci shrugged lightly. “Just wanted to do the right thing,maybe? She does that sometimes, you know.”

Her husband looked at her, his pale blue eyes glintingsoftly in the reflection from the instruments. “Ain’t that the truth.” He said.“Howsomever, I could throw this here boat into a 360 and I figure we’d losethat trash off the back deck right quick.”

Ceci put her arm around him. “No twirling, sailor boy. Justput this thing in the garage. It’s getting late.” She said. “Let’s dischargeour cargo and see if any of the neighbors are up for a nightcap.”

“Sounds all right t’me.” Andrew agreed. “Sooner’s better,though.” He grinned a little, and gunned the big engines. “I don’t’ figure towait for them slow boats.”

“Uh oh.” Ceci took a firmer hold. “Glad I battened down thehatches inside.”

“You want to give a warn to that there woman?” Andy asked.

“Nope.”

“Heh.”

**

Kerry pushed lazily against the post the hammock wasanchored to, her eyes closed as she listened to the conference call going on inher ear bud.  It was the weeklygeneral administration meeting, which she usually chaired since operationstended to be in the center of whatever was going on.

Today though, she was merely listening as Jose rambled onabout sales projections and Eleanor kept throwing in her two cents worth.

“Hey, Kerry?” Duks broke into the buzz. “Are you stillthere?”

“I’m here.” Kerry replied, rocking herself in a gentlerhythm.

“Your entire department is empty, you do know that right?”Jose said. “If something stops working I don’t know what in the hell we’re goingto do.”

“I know.” Kerry said. “We gave everyone the week off whoworked the project.”

“Including yourselves.” Eleanor sniped mildly.

“Yup.”

“I have heard through the grapevine.” Duks regained theconversational ball. “That there is a large contract to come out of that calamity.”

Silence. Kerry smiled into the warm salt air. “Of course.”She said. “What’d you think Dar was doing it for, exercise?”

Everyone chuckled, after a moment’s awkward silence. “So wegot one over on Telegenics, huh?” Jose said. “That is a pleasant change.”

“Oh, I think Dar locked that one up for you too.” Kerryreached over and retrieved her mug, sucking a mouthful of fragrant iced teafrom it through a straw. “I don’t’ think they’ll be bothering us much anymore.”

Silence again. “Did you guys go amok with a gattling gun orsomething?” Eleanor asked.

“Long story.” Kerry replied. “But you might want to prepareyour people out there, Jose. Dar’s going to move back into new businessacquisitions.”

“Eh?”

Kerry could well imagine the looks of consternation goingaround the table. She sucked another mouthful of tea contentedly, and was gladshe wasn’t there. “I’m going to be working on restructuring the back end ofthings. We need some changes.”

“Uh.”

The porch floorboards creaked, and Kerry felt warm fingerstake hold of her bare toes, tweaking them.

“All right… ah, that’s a little sudden, isn’t it?” Eleanorhazarded. “But, then again, it’s your department.”

“Yup.” Kerry agreed. “It is. Anything else, guys? I haveanother meeting to go to.” She opened one eye and studied the mischeiviousexpression on Dar’s face. “And I think I’m late for it.”

The sound of shifting furniture came through the line. “No,I think that’s it.” Jose said. “So, you are really going to just call in forthis whole week? Must be very nice.”

Kerry reached out and hooked a finger into the ragged pocketon Dar’s shorts. “Don’t like it? Find another set of ops management.” She toldJose bluntly.

Dar leaned over and pressed her head against Kerry’s so shecould hear the bud also.

“Hey! I wasn’t saying anything!” Jose protested. “Take iteasy already. Jesu.”

“I’m sure we’ll adjust.” Mariana broke in. “After all, we doall of our international calls remotely. This isn’t anything different.”

Kerry tweaked Dar’s earlobe. “Exactly.” She said. “You’lljust have to cope with it because we have a life to live and that’s just how it’sgoing to be.” She pressed her hand against Dar’s stomach, suspended over herwhen she thought she heard purring and felt the vibration that confirmed it.

“Um.. okay.” Eleanor said. “More info than we needed, butwhatever floats your boat, mmhm? Long as you keep producing, that is.” Sheadded. “But that’s the same rule for all of us, isn’t it?”

“Eh.” Jose grunted. “C’mon, let’s go do lunch.” He said. “We’redone here.” 

“Bye, Kerry.” Eleanor added. “Thanks for the good news aboutthe project.”

“Bye.” Kerry clicked the phone off and turned her attentionfully to her partner. “Hi.”

“They sound miffed.” Dar carefully tumbled her way into thedouble size hammock, ending up next to Kerry. “Were they?”’

“I don’t care.” Kerry exhaled. “I think I realizedsomething, Dar, over the past few weeks.” She said. “Remember the argument wehad at Disney?”

“We had an argument?”

“In the bus.”

Dar went over her memories of the recent past. “That wasn’t’an argument.”

Kerry offered her a sip of ice tea. “It was, because I wasputting work ahead of us, and you damn well should have called me on it.”

“Ker.”

“We’ve only got one life.” Kerry turned her head andregarded her partner. “We have to live every minute of it.”

“Ah.” Dar curled her fingers around Kerry’s and squeezedthem. “Might not be the best thing for our careers.”

“Don’t give a damn.”

Dar leaned over and kissed her. “Then it probably won’tmatter.”  She answered. “But I don’tcare if it does either because I’ve learned something over the past few weekstoo.”

“Have you?” Kerry murmured.

“Yes.” Dar touched her nose to Kerry’s. “There is no othershoe.” She tilted her head and kissed Kerry again. “And I want to live everysecond of this life all the way with you.”

It was a truly sweet moment for both of them, and theypaused to enjoy it, indulging in a long kiss as the tide rolled in against therocks and sand nearby.

In the distance, a ship’s bell rang.

“Ah, sounds like the fish boat’s in.” Kerry smiled and heldup her cell phone, offering Dar an ear bud. “Want to sit in on my projectionsmeeting?”

“Sure.” Dar snuggled closer, fitting the bud into place. “Comewith me to England next week?”

“Oh, you bet your buns I will.”  Kerry chuckled, as she dialed the phone.

“Sounds like we’ve got a plan”

“Sounds like we do.”

A crab raced past, waving it’s arms with Chino in hotpursuit, wishing it had gotten the email about the plan, and hoping like hellit didn’t involve any puppies.  

**

The End.

 

 


Return to The Bard's Corner