THE GROWING

Written by: Susanne Beck and Okasha

CHAPTER THIRTY SIX

"Coming!" Kirsten responds to a knock on the door, flinging the dishtowel over one shoulder and bumping her busily scrubbing partner with her hip as she slips from the kitchen.

Maggie stands grinning at the threshold, a suspiciously shaped bag in her hand. The smile slips from her lips as she takes in Kirsten’s strange look. "What?"

Kirsten sighs. "I know we’ve been over this already, but it still makes me uncomfortable that you think you have to knock on the door to your own home."

Rolling her eyes, Maggie pushes Kirsten gently back and slips into the house. "Darlin," she drawls, "I used to knock before going into the house I grew up in. My mama would have whuped me purple if I didn’t show respect, family or no, so just stop worrying about it, ok?"

Kirsten frowns, unconvinced, and Maggie takes gentle hold of her elbow. "Listen to me, my friend, and listen closely, because this is the last time we’re going to have this conversation, you and I. You did not chase me from my home. It’s mine. I choose what to do with it, and I chose to let you guys have it. No pain, no strain, and all’s cool, capiche?"

"I suppose," Kirsten replies, grudgingly.

"Good," Maggie replies, holding up the package, "and to seal the deal, a gift!"

Slipping the bottle from the bag, Kirsten squints at the lettering on the label. "Southern Comfort? Wow, I haven’t had this since college!"

"Madame President!" Maggie huffs, feigning extreme shock. "You actually admit to the consumption of spirits? Whatever will your constituents think?"

"My constituents can kiss my ass," she retorts, breaking the seal with a quick twist of her wrist. "Where’d you get this anyway? I thought the base was dry?"

"I have my sources," comes the smug rejoinder as Maggie moves off to the kitchen. "Now, where did I put those shot glasses?" She stops short so as to avoid running into Dakota, who smirks down at her, three shot glasses in her hand. "Well look who’s back from the dead! And looking damn good to boot!"

Koda lifts a brow. "Looks like someone’s started the party a little early."

"Hardly. Can’t I be in a halfway decent mood once in awhile? Besides," she adds, pitching her voice low, forgetting about Kirsten’s enhanced hearing, "I think someone could use a little cheering, don’t you?"

"I heard that," Kirsten remarks, making her way to the kitchen, "and I’m fine. Really."

"Mm." Maggie looks at her with a critical eye. "Well, I suppose we can pass that unnatural pallor off to too little sleep then, hmm?" A saucy wink accompanies the statement, making Kirsten’s face heat. "C’mon. Let’s have a toast before the rest of our guests arrive, ok?"

The trio moves into the living room. As Maggie pours the liquor, Koda sits on the floor, her back against the couch. Kirsten settles behind her, stroking the black hair fanning over the tattered fabric of the couch. Maggie hands over the glasses, then holds up her own, her expression serious. "To lessons learned, hurdles overcome, dangers to come, and love and family, which makes it all worthwhile."

Three glasses clink together, three arms lift, and three heads tip back, taking in the sweet, fiery liquid in one smooth gulp. "Ahh," Kirsten exhales, slamming her glass down onto the chest that doubles as a table. "That definitely hit the spot." The liquor spreads warm fire through her belly and limbs, taking with it the sharpest edge of grief and second thoughts she’s been dealing with since signing the execution orders. "Thanks, Maggie. I owe you."

"What are friends for? Another?"

Kirsten holds up a hand. "Better not. I’d like to appear at least somewhat coherent while we hash things out this evening. Maybe later, though."

"Suits me," Maggie replies, capping the bottle and stowing it away just as the door sounds again. "I’ll get it. Be right back."

Koda and Kirsten share a quiet look as Maggie leaves and returns with the rest of the group in tow. Tacoma, Manny and Andrews look sharp in their crisply pressed uniforms. Harcourt follows, impeccably dressed, as always, in a somber black suit and regimental tie. Wanblee Wapka rounds out the party, looking comfortable in his jeans and workshirt.

"Where’s Hart?" Kirsten asks.

"The General is, unfortunately, indisposed at the moment," Harcourt replies, settling himself into the overstuffed armchair. "Quite likely for the rest of what remains of his life if the quantity of beer cans outside of his residence is any indication."

"Great. Just what we need."

"I think this little clandestine meeting of the minds is better had without him in any event," Harcourt remarks, a slight smile breaking the stony planes of his face as he looks at Dakota. "It’s good to see you up and around, so to speak, Ms. Rivers. I understand you have an interesting tale to share?"

"In a moment," Maggie interjects. "Let’s get the rest of our business out of the way first, if we could." She turns to Tacoma who is crowded into one of the small kitchen chairs he’s dragged over. "Nice light show last night, Captain. Got any tally on the damages for us?"

"Two houses were completely gutted," Tacoma intones. "Luckily, they were so badly damaged during the original uprising that they weren’t being used. Minor fire damage to twelve other houses. I’ve got repair crews working around the clock on them."

"Damage to the power station?"

"Minimal." He looks down at his hands, red and raw from wrapping copper wire non-stop. "We should be up and running again in a week, best guess."

"Good. We got off a lot more lightly than we should have." She holds up a hand to forestall Tacoma’s comment. "I’m not laying blame here. We all dropped the ball. Kirsten mentioned you’ve been pushing for a Town Hall, and you’re right, it’s something we desperately need right now. Communication with the civilians on this base is sorely lacking and it’s only going to lead to more problems in the long run. So…we’ll need to set up a Communications Committee. Say ten in all, split evenly between base personnel and civilians. They can meet once a week to start, hash out any issues they have and pass along whatever needs passing. Kirsten, I know you’ve got an overly full plate right now, but I think you’ll probably need to chair the first meeting, just to keep everything Kosher." She smiles. "You should be able to pass on that honor to some other deserving soul once everything’s underway, though."

"Being the top dog really sucks sometimes," Kirsten grumps, but nods her acceptance of yet another duty.

"Yeah, yeah. Tell it to the press."

The group laughs, then quiets as all eyes turn to Dakota. Maggie raises an eyebrow in silent invitation.

Nodding, Koda straightens and pulls up her legs, crossing her arms over them and looking at the group evenly. "I’ll spare everyone the background details, since I’m sure you probably know pretty much all of them anyway." Receiving nods, she closes her eyes and calls up the images from her Vision. They come to her easily, though thankfully she feels a sense of detachment from the emotional backlash they convey. She senses that that detachment is helped along by the feel of Kirsten’s warm hand on her shoulder, and she smiles her thanks inwardly.

"Dakota?" Her father’s smooth, kind voice filters into her consciousness. "Where are you?"

She is standing in the middle of a killing field. Red is all around her; sunk deep into the earth, running in rivers across her unclad feet. Even the air is red, as if she is viewing the world through crimson silk, and the stench of burning and death is overpowering. Overhead, carrion birds circle endlessly, waiting for the chance to feed.

"Just outside of the base," she replies, voice deep, words slow and carefully measured. "To the south, fifty yards beyond the gate."

"When?"

A listless breeze flutters the leaves on the trees. A blood drenched flag flaps wetly, sullenly, like mud covered sheets hanging from a clothesline.

"Mid spring, early summer. It is difficult to tell."

"Are you seeing the past?"

The whole room holds its breath.

"No."

Kirsten’s hand tightens involuntarily on Dakota’s shoulder, but the distraction is minimal. The group exchanges grave looks, and Tacoma turns away, fists clenched, jaw set, as if he’s ready to take on the entire droid army by himself.

Maggie shoots a silent question to Wanblee Wapka, who nods.

"Dakota?" she asks.

"I am here."

"What do you see?"

There is a brief pause. Then, "Death."

The room is filled with hissed breaths.

"Death." In her vision, she lifts hands dripping with gore. "All around me."

"Are there androids?"

"Yes. Many hundreds." Her vision body turns in a complete circle, red gaze lancing out over the carnage. "More than I’ve ever seen before. They come from the south, and from the west, in tanks…."

"Tanks?" Maggie asks, startled.

"Yes. Many tanks. Many bombs. And death. So…so much death. All around. All around."

Kirsten looks over at Wanblee Wapka, in her eyes, an anguished plea. His face set and grave, he holds up a hand. Maggie interjects, softly, "Kirsten, we must know."

"At what expense?" Kirsten demands, voice shrill. "You’re hurting her!"

"Kirsten—."

"Canteskuye, please, let me tell it all. I must speak this. Please."

Dropping her objections reluctantly, Kirsten draws an arm along Dakota’s own and squeezes, pressing a kiss to the crown of black hair beneath her chin. Koda grasps her hand and holds it lightly between her own. Wanblee Wapka nods at Maggie to continue.

"Dakota, the androids…are there humans with them?"

"Yes. Many men. Strangers all. Wearing red. Red death."

Running a hand through her close cropped hair, Maggie sighs, then puts forth the one question she doesn’t want to ask. "And the base?"

Another pause, longer this time.

"Gone."

As one, the group stiffens, none having expected such a final answer.

"Gone?" Maggie asks finally, when she’s recovered her voice. "Can you explain?"

"Gone," Koda repeats. "All gone. No buildings. No life. Only death. Death, all around. The earth weeps for her children."

"Alright," Kirsten says, her tone brooking no argument. "That’s enough. You’ve got what you came here for, now end it! Now!"

Wanblee Wapka nods and shifts forward, but Dakota breaks herself from her trance unaided, and gathers Kirsten in her arms as her lover scrambles from the couch and to her side. "It’s okay, my love, it’s okay," she whispers into fragrant hair. "I’m alright. It’s okay."

The rest of the group members exchange grim looks. After a long moment, Koda lifts her head and eyes those around the table. "This was a warning. The androids are coming. I can feel them closing in. But how the battle ends will be up to us, in part, to decide. Ina Maka has seen fit to help us, to warn us of what is to come. The rest is up to us."

Gripping the arms of her chair, Maggie lets go a long breath, and nods. "Tomorrow, then. In my office. All of us." The smile she gives Dakota is grim, but a smile nonetheless. "Thank you, my friend. Your gift has given us a fighting chance."

"Thank the Mother," Koda returns.

"I will." Standing, Maggie gathers the others with a look. They rise as well, and with soft murmurs of thanks and goodnight, they file from the house, leaving the lovers alone.

*******

Maggie raises a hand to shield her eyes against the late afternoon sunlight that pours through the blinds of her office, casting strips of glare on the large map of South Dakota and surrounding states spread out on her desk. Its brilliance strikes blue sheen like a raven’s wing off Koda’s hair where she leans on her elbows, tracing the thin black lines of state roads feeding into Rapid City and from there onto Highway 90. "Here," she says. "For the ones moving in from the west, their best bet is to come up 85 to the Interstate, then make the loop back east to Ellsworth. Troops moving up from Offut could use 183 or 87, then march west on 90."

"If they’ve got heavy armor," Tacoma adds, "they’ll want to get onto the Interstate as quickly as they can."

"Isn’t there still a lot of wreckage on the highway?" Kirsten asks. "Is it enough to slow them down?"

"Minimally. Things like mobile Howitzers can just push other stuff out of the way. It won’t take but one advance party to clear the way for them."

"We need aerial recon. Rivers," Maggie addresses Dakota’s cousin where he leans over Kirsten’s shoulder. "Put a couple birds up and have them scout the roads. I want reports by evening. And no," she adds quellingly, noting the gleam comes into his dark eyes. "Not you, and not Andrews. You have your assignment."

"Yes, ma’am," he says, turning on his heels in the cramped space between Koda and the door. Dakota jerks her foot out of his path, almost kicking Kirsten’s ankle where she sits to her left. "Sorry, cuz," he murmurs, then, "We gotta move these meetings into a conference room or something."

"Scoot," says Maggie, and he does. The half-dozen bodies surrounding the desk shift, taking advantage of the greater space.

"He’s right," says Kirsten, flexing shoulders that are no longer jammed against her neighbors’. "Why don’t we use one of the big meeting rooms?"

"Hart," says Maggie succinctly. "Territory."

"He doesn’t seem--well," Wanblee Wapka offers from his place beside Tacoma.

Maggie gives a small, exasperated snort. "Make this man an Ambassador when we’re out of this mess," she says to Kirsten. "General Hart hasn’t been—well--since the uprising. According to his secretary he comes into his office every day, drinks his coffee, and looks at reports in triplicate. Then he goes back to quarters and waits to do it all again the next day." Her voice softens. "He’s a manager, not a field commander. Losing his family has been hard on him."

"What about that aide of his—what’s his name—Toller, Toleman--?"

"All he does is carry the reports back and forth and tell Kimberly who to open the door

to. Another MBA. Pigs’ll fly stealth bombers before he questions an order."

"Okay," says Tacoma, bringing the conversation back to the map and the advancing enemy. "Manny’s going to take care of air recon. We need some boots on the ground, too."

Maggie nods approvingly. "Make the assignments when the birds get back." She turns her attention to Wanblee Wapka. "What are your defense caps?"

His eyes, as startlingly blue as his daughter’s meet hers. "Sixty able-bodied adults with small arms and the skill to use them. Another twenty or thirty for support. If this force gets past you, though, our only real defense is our feet."

Maggie taps the end of her marker against the map. Multi-task, Allen. Contingency plans. "All right," she says. "When the time comes, I’ll have two Tomcats fueled up and ready to go. One to cover Rapid City, one to cover you guys if the bastards flank us and turn north. If the droids keep their forces all together, we’ll have them for our ace in the hole here. With distances that short, we won’t need guidance systems for the ‘Cats, and most of our ordnance has been reconfigured to laser.

"Meanwhile, we need an accounting of assets. Tacoma: get me an inventory of all armor, artillery, small arms and foot soldiers and your assessment of the best use we can make of all of the above. I already know what we can put in the air and who can fly it. When we know more about what we’re facing, we can talk deployment."

"Meet them on the road if we can,’ says Dakota. "Block them off before they can reach the Base or the city."

"Exactly. And we need to keep our options open to do that." Maggie folds up the map and hands it to Dakota. "You and Tacoma know the ground better than anyone else here. Choose at least three provisional points where we can cut them off. Kirsten—any luck with that droid fragment Jimenez brought you?"

"Not yet—" Kirsten’s head turns abruptly toward the window, where a shadow crosses the blinds, accompanied by the rich, sweet scent of pipe tobacco. Tacoma reaches a long arm behind her and opens the door to admit Fenton Harcourt, a briar between his teeth and a sheaf of papers under his arm.

"Well," says the Judge. "How unassuming. Foxes have lairs and birds have their nests, but the Wing Commander operates out of a middling small closet, and the President of what’s left of these United States has no office at all."

Maggie eyes the folders warily. "What can we do for you, Judge?"

"Nothing you’ll enjoy," he answers, sifting three of the thin portfolios from the stack. "General Hart saw me after a lengthy wait this afternoon, then told me to take the matter to you."

"And the matter is?"

"McCallum. Petrovich. Kazen." Harcourt punctuates the names with the slap of each file as it hits the desk. "They are presently back in the guardhouse, since there are no facilities for holding them in Rapid City. Neither are there any facilities for carrying out their sentences. You do not," he adds, "seem pleased."

"I am," she says precisely, meeting Harcourt’s, "just as pleased as I would be if Ms. President’s dog had made me a present. Asimov would, however, be too polite dump it on my desk."

Unexpectedly, Harcourt’s face splits in a grin, pipe still tight between his teeth. "Colonel," he says, "I am sorry I underestimated you. Unfortunately, there is no one else with either the authority or the means to handle this problem. Civil institutions remain in suspension."

"Unfortunately," she says, "you’re right. Tacoma."

"Ma’am?"

"When you get me the list of troops, pick out twenty-five by lot. We’ll cut them down to fifteen in a second round. Tell Major Grueneman to see that the indoor firing range in the gym is set up, and make sure we’ve got lighting there. Better get started now."

"Ma’am." Tacoma salutes and squeezes his large frame around Kirsten and the Judge, making for the door. Kirsten moves over by one seat, offering her chair to Harcourt.

"I take it there’s something else I can do for you, Judge?"

"Not you, Colonel. Rivers," he says, addressing Wanblee Wapka. He takes a long draw on his pipe, and smoke streams out his nostrils. "Can your settlement accommodate a new widow and her orphan daughter?"

Wanblee Wapka contemplates Harcourt’s face for a long moment, his eyes blankly amiable. Then the laugh lines around them fold into wrinkles, and he says, "Fenton, you do know how to ask a leading question, don’t you? ‘Poor little match girl out in the snow.’ You’re referring to Ms. Buxton, I take it?"

Another puff and river of smoke. "I am."

"Have you consulted the lady about these arrangements?"

"I will inform her of the possibility when I have your answer."

"You have it, then. Tell her to be ready."

"Mrs. Rivers?"


"Themunga wouldn’t turn away W. T. Sherman himself if he showed up on her doorstep hurt or hungry."


"No," Dakota says wryly. "She’d nurse him back to health, then take his hair."

Maggie catches a small, alarmed glance as Kirsten’s eyes shift from Koda to her father and back, and she allows herself to wonder how the Rivers matriarch will take to a white daughter-in-law. Not easily, by all indications. But she says only, "Any other business?"

There is none, and as the rest file out her door, she sets grimly to making arrangements for a triple execution. Not for the first time, she wishes for a good stiff drink.

Damn Hart.

Damn Harcourt.

Damn the three bastards who made it all necessary.

Most of all, damn Peter Westerhouse and his droids.

*******

The wolf cub wriggles in her hands as Dakota lifts him gently away from his mother and places him at the back of the crate that will carry them to their new home. Kirsten kneels alongside, holding his attention with a finger drawn along the wire mesh, so that all his small body wags, and he stands on his hind legs, nipping at the elusive prey and yapping sharply. The sound brings his mother out of her run, straight into the carrier with him. Kirsten withdraws her finger abruptly.

Dakota lifts the small hatch on top of the carrier and bends to scratch the pup under his chin one last time, and smooth the fur on the mother’s head. "Go safely," she murmurs. "Live well."

"They’ll be all right, won’t they?" Kirsten asks.

Koda slides the hatch closed and reaches across the top of the crate to take Kirsten’s hand in her own. "The place where Ate will release them has a stone outcropping for shelter and a spring for water. With only one cub, the mother will have no trouble feeding him until he can join her on the hunt."

"He’s going to release them on your ranch?"

"Han," Koda says, squeezing her lover’s hand. "I wish we could go with him now. I wish you could see it."

"When this is over, we’ll go. I still need to meet your mother."

Koda says nothing, only tightens her fingers around Kirsten’s. Wanblee Wapka’s easy acceptance will make the meeting easier, when it comes. It occurs to Dakota that she probably should have written a letter for her father to carry home to Themungha, but there is no time now. Coward, she berates herself. You can run across a ruined bridge straight into an army like a freaking idiot, but you can’t manage to face your own mother. Aloud she says, "I think I hear the truck."

The sound an approaching engine grows louder, and Koda goes to unlock the back gate that leads to the runs. Beams from a pair of headlights sweep across the small parking lot, and Wanblee Wapka’s big pickup makes a three-point turn then backs slowly, coming to a stop between the two rows of kennels. Overhead, stars still spangle the western sky, swinging low over the Paha Sapa. The hills bulk huge and dark below them, distinguished from the arching darkness above only by the wash of moonlight along their flanks. A white shape passes overhead, almost too swift for sight, and Koda shivers in the dawn breeze. Owl.

Owls are messengers from the spirit world. But she needs no additional omen to know that death is near them—herself, Kirsten, her father, Tacoma, all of them. Her vision has told her that, and the preliminary reports from the scouts have confirmed the forces now converging on Ellsworth in numbers far greater than any they have encountered so far.

The driver’s door opens, engine still running, and Wanblee Wapka steps behind the truck to open the tailgate. "Let me give you a hand with that, chunkshi."

Together, with Kirsten assisting, they lift the mother wolf and her cub up into the bed of the truck. Wanblee Wapka slides the carrier back toward the cab and ties it down in place, giving the knots an extra pull to secure them. To Koda he says, "Don’t worry. I’ll have them in their new home before the sun is over the trees. I’ll see that there’s food available for the first few days, just until Ina here gets the lie of the land."

For answer, Koda walks into his arms and hugs him fiercely. "I wish that I could come with you, Ate. That we could."

"I know," he says. "But you’re needed here, both of you."

"Mother—"

"Hey, I’m a diplomat, remember?" Laughter runs through her father’s voice. "I’ll have the peace treaty ready to be signed by the time you come home."

"Oh, yeah," she says wryly. "The droids’ll just be the warm-up."

His arms tighten around her. "Wakan Tanka nici un, chunkshi. Toksha ake wachingyankin kte.**" He releases her then, turning to Kirsten. "Chunkshi," he says, pulling her into a hug. "Take care of each other."

The fleeting startlement in Kirsten’s face gives way to a blush, and she shyly returns the embrace. "We will. Thank you, Ate." Her brow creases briefly. "Ate—is that right?"

"It’s exactly right," he answers.

Almost too low for Koda to hear, she says, "Dakota and I—can you see--?" She drops her eyes, leaving the question in the air.

"I see that you are meant to be together, Kirsten. It is something you have chosen, time and again. But no, I do not see what is on the other side of this battle. There is a cloud over it, and what is beyond I don’t know."

Then, with a last squeeze of her arm, a hand on Koda’s shoulder, he is gone, the red points of the truck’s taillights vanishing as he turns onto the road that will take him out the main gate. Koda takes Kirsten’s hand in hers, feeling the chill of her skin. In the east, a faint haze of rose and gold washes the hills. "You’re cold," she says. "Let’s go inside."

 

**Lakota 101: Great Mystery go with you. Until I see you again.

*******

And that, ladies and gents, is the ending to another episode of The Growing! We will now be taking our customary two episode break and will return to you on Thursday, November 20, 2003. Until then, be well, and if you wish, drop us a line at swordnquil@aol.com  and tell us how we’re doing!

Continued - Chapter 37

Return to The Growing Main Page

Return to The Bard's Corner