Part 4 of 9

Mensor watched the warrior woman step out into the street. "Well, that was interesting."

"Very." She replied as they headed towards the town square where the vendors were setting up shop for the days business.

Cairne sat staring at the door with a growing apprehension. He waited for the knock and it came, followed by a tall woman, cloaked, her golden hair flowing out the front, her steel blue stare locked onto his shrinking form.

"Early for visitors isn't it old man?" She smiled down at him as she quietly closed the door behind her.

"An old friend, just passing through." He replied.

"What did you tell them?" She asked.

"Nothing." He replied too quickly. "Look, Sauri, I want no trouble, you know that...I mind my own business.."

"Yes, an old man should do just that. Anything more and the excitement alone might get to him, don't you think?" She smiled.

"Yes." He whispered.

"You should have stayed in bed."

"I know." He sighed. He felt the first tiny pangs of pain spread across his chest.

"How've you been, anyway?" Sauri asked, running her fingers across her shoulder in a mock gesture of interest.

"I've been better." He said as he involuntarily placed his hand on his beating heart, where a heaviness had gathered there in the last few seconds. "Look, you really don't have to do this..." He gasped.

"You know how Lynchia can be...she's quite a stickler for details." She sighed as she twirled around the room until an old crystal on a table caught her eye. She went over to it and picked it up in her hands, feeling the cool smoothness under her fingers. "Crystals...by the gods...who would be stupid enough to spend good dinars on a rock?"

"Well, they... have... been.." Cairne breathed in deeply as the pressure increased. "..known to.." He gasped.

"Rubbish. Simply rubbish." She quipped. She turned to look at him. "Trouble breathing?"

"Funny you should mention it.." He smiled back at her.

"You know what? I'm in a good mood today, sun's shining, big night tonight and all." She smiled.

"And?" He coughed, beads of sweat sliding down his face now, with each gasp for air.

"And I think I just might let you live. What do you think?" She asked as she placed the crystal back down on the table.

"At what cost?" He asked, sucking in another impossible breath, his chest now firmly in a vice.

"House the girl." She said. "And bring her to the temple at dusk."

"What will I tell her? What will I do with her?" He cried, as the pain mixed with his own conscience. He couldn't decide which was worse at the moment.

"That's not my problem old man, it's yours." She smiled and headed for the door. "And make sure she's prepared in the traditional way. You remember don't you?"

"Vaguely." He replied quietly. "I don't think I.."

"Then don't think." She spat. "Do we have a deal or not?" She asked, her hand on the doorknob.

"Yes." He sighed and the vice lifted from his chest and he took his first real breath in over two minutes. He watched her leave and sat there contemplating his life quest, and where exactly it had all gone wrong. He was too old, and too scared for this. But his fear of death outweighed all of this, as he was sure he would burn in Tartarus for eternity for all he had done, even if that was many moons ago. He picked up the crystal absentmindedly, finding comfort in the smoothness of its touch, while he awaited the arrival of the innocent.

*******

Gabrielle pulled the blindfold from her face and looked back towards the group of trees that she had spent the last few hours hanging from. "Lynchia, who was that?"

"Trouble." Lynchia replied as she led her by the arm through the woods.

"I'll say. Listen, thanks for rescuing me, he was getting a bit friendly, if you know what I mean..." Gabrielle said nervously.

"I do." Lynchia said. "Keep moving." she instructed as they walked through the trees.

"Where's Xena? I was sure it would be her when you came for me..." She asked tentatively recalling how they had last left each other, or rather how she had last seen Xena.

"Look at me Gabrielle." Lynchia stopped and looked into the bard's eyes.

"What is it? Has something happened to her???" Gabrielle asked with rising panic as she gazed into Lynchia's sad brown eyes.

"She's fine. Everything is fine."

"Everything's fine?"

"Everything....you're calm and relaxed" Lynchia replied.

"I'm not."

"You are very calm, cool and relaxed. But you're very tired." Lynchia coaxed.

"I'm tired?"

"Very tired, you need to lie down, and I know just the place."

"I am tired, now that you mention it." Gabrielle sighed.

"Very tired."

"Very tired, yes, will Xena be there?" Gabrielle asked hopefully through the blanketed haze that was beginning to cover her.

"Yes, she's waiting for you, in town."

"I need to see her, is she tired too?"

"Very tired, sleepy."

"Sleepy..yes....I think perhaps I'll lie down here and wait..."

"No!" Lynchia cried as the bard began to sink to the forest floor. "I mean, you want to lie down in a bed."

"I do? A Bed? Bed's are good, that cupid's room had a really comfortable bed...oops, I wasn't supposed to mention that was I?"

"Not to worry, no harm done. Come, I'll take you there." Lynchia guided Gabrielle by the arm once again.

"A bed, with Xena, so tired, I love her so much." Gabrielle sighed sleepily as she allowed Lynchia to guide her to the promised land.

"Yes, you do. Now follow me, you must rest as the night will be long, and you need to sleep."

"I need sleep, I love her you know."

"Yes, yes,." Lynchia rolled her eyes, "So I've heard."

*******

"Hi guys!" Gallion called after Xena and Mensor who were talking to a merchant in front of his wares.

Xena turned around to see Gallion coming towards them. "Gallion, I thought we told you to guard the camp." She growled under her breath.

"I know, but I couldn't just sit there any longer, not with Gabrielle missing and everything. I want to help search." Gallion replied.

"You're blowing our cover is what you're doing Gallion!" Mensor cried as he clutched at his robes to further his point.

"Oh." Gallion sulked. "Well, I spotted you didn't I? Can't be that great."

Both warrior's stared at him with slitted eyes.

"Any luck so far?" Gallion asked nervously.

"No, seems the entire town has amnesia." She looked down at something that was jutting out of the boy's pocket. "What is that you've got there?"

"Oh, this, oh it's a miniature figurine....I just picked up...." He stuttered nervously as Mensor bent down at took it from him. "It's..." By the gods, he thought he'd tucked it out of sight. "It's supposed to bring good luck sort of.."

"Why Gallion, old boy, taken a shining to someone have you?" Mensor grinned as Gallion tried desperately to grab it from the taller man who pulled playfully away with each failed attempt. Then Xena snatched it from his own hands.

She studied it. Gallion made another vain attempt to snatch it from her but to no avail. "Where did you....where did you get that?" She asked.

"Pan HandleHer, down the street, it's ..a.. a tiny shop, really, has all kinds of, er interesting, trinkets, and such, it's..."

"It's a sex shop Xena." Mensor laughed as he watched poor Gallion turn a deep shade of crimson. He was sure the boy would disintegrate before their very eyes.

"Is not Mensor!" Gallion cried as he jumped this time and successfully snatched it from Xena's hands. "It's an amulet, a charm." He said indignantly. By the gods this was the worst moment of his life, if you didn't count Ilaida from Arcadia, that he had once liked so badly, he had been unable to hide his exuberance upon catching a glimpse of her beauty one day while playing. She had asked him what was hiding in his pants, and he had died then as well. But somehow, this seemed a bigger death, as the stakes had risen, and the prize more enticing. And he was no longer a boy, by the gods he was a man!

"I'm sorry Gallion." Xena smiled down at him, finally sympathizing with his discomfort. "Could I just see it again, please? I promise I'll give it back." Gallion handed it to her shyly. It was a tiny representation of the God Pan, half goat, half man, little horns on his head, tiny hooves for feet, and from the waist down, covered with goat fur. He was grinning madly as he played his tiny flute. But this was not the truly interesting aspect of the miniature, it was the extremely large phallic representation that protruded from his front, and completely disproportionate to the figurine. Who designed these things anyway? By the gods, obviously someone that's never seen him, she thought disgustingly, anything to make a dinar. "And this is supposed to...???"

"Well, make me more enticing to someone I want to be more..." Gods, he'd never dreamed he'd have to explain this to anyone, let alone a woman.

"Well I can't imagine Pan providing that," She smirked, "He's hardly an enticing image, and if anyone could use an amulet it would be Pan...he's the one that should be buying.." Xena stopped talking suddenly.

"He's the god of Carnal lust after all." Gallion finally blurted feeling somewhere deep down he must justify his decision on what seemed to be suddenly a ridiculous purchase indeed. How many dinars had he paid again?

"Among other things." Mensor quipped, "Like being so ugly the sight alone would send woman screaming." He laughed looking over at Xena to join him in his joke but her face was serious.

"Where is this shop?" Xena asked grabbing Gallion by the shoulders.

"Down the street a ways." Gallion replied sheepishly, pointing to a small passage off the main road.

"Take me there!" Xena asked with growing agitation.

"You want to visit the Sex Shop? Now?" Mensor asked looking over at Xena with more than mild surprise. Gods this woman was intriguing, to the say the least.

"Right now." Xena said as she motioned Gallion and Mensor to get moving. Both men exchanged looks but didn't beleaguer the point any further. Gallion led the way out of the vendor street towards the passage, tucked discreetly away from the main strip, for obvious reasons.

*******

"Sweet Dreams of you..."

Patsy Cline

"Where did you say the bed was?" Gabrielle asked dreamily, looking up at the kind old man in front of her.

Cairne looked over at Lynchia trying to mask his distaste for her. He had to look away. "It's right in here. "He told the pretty little blonde woman, that had the sweetest smile he'd ever seen. He was beginning to feel sick with guilt already. He led her into a back room, sparsely furnished with a small night stand and bed. He had never married, and had not bothered to decorate anymore than this - there was no one to share it with. It provided sleep, and nothing more, he thought sadly, as another regret slid to his surface, while he tried to push it back down into his murky past, with all the other regrets that tended to claw their way into his thoughts at the worst possible times. "Are you tired?" He asked her.

"Very." Gabrielle nodded. "Lynchia said Xena would meet us here. Have you seen her?" She asked looking up at him with hopeful green eyes. They were glazed over from the touch of Lynchia, but despite this, he was sure they could melt even the coldest of hearts. "I love her, you know," Gabrielle said quietly. "With all my heart, she's my soulmate."

"Yes, yes. You sleep now, and she'll be along later." Lynchia said impatiently as she stepped into the room. She glared over at Cairne to ensure he understood that this would not be the case at all. Gods, he was pathetic old sentimental fool, but a necessary evil for the moment. But then of course, that had been his downfall, hadn't it. "Fail me Cairne, and you will pay dearly."

"She's just a child!" Cairne whispered under his breath as he guided Gabrielle onto the bed.

"There is no such thing Cairne," Lynchia replied. "Just levels of innocence. Now tie her up just in case, I don't want to take any chances. Understood?" She glared at him.

"Yes." He replied through gritted teeth careful not to look at Lynchia. It was taking all his power just to mask his distaste, and he daren't let her feel his rage or she might just kill him on the spot.

"Good." Lynchia said as she turned to leave the room. "And Cairne?"

"What?" He asked.

"Don't bother wasting valuable energy on erecting a wall on my account. I could care less of your distaste for me. Not to mention it's pathetically weak and rather embarrassing. You really have slid Cairne, such a pity for one that was once so good." Lynchia chided.

Cairne said nothing, what could he say, really? He watched her exit. That evil bitch. Gods he wished he was young again and virile and capable of tearing her into tiny little pieces and scattering her to the four corners of the...

"I heard that." Lynchia called out as she closed the door.

Hades. He sat on the edge of the bed looking down at the blonde girl named Gabrielle. She looked up at him through half closed eyes, a warm smile greeting him. "You sleep now." He whispered as tears threatened to escape him.

"My name's Gabrielle." She said as she fought Morpheus.

He looked down at her and then finally realized she was fighting sleep awaiting his reply. "Oh, I'm Cairne." He said.

"Nice name, ....Cairne, ....It's very...nice... to meet you..." Gabrielle whispered as her eyes closed and she finally gave in to the darkness.

Chapter 17

---------------

"Gonna buy me a rubber girl, when I find one my size..

It's not so debatable, that someone who's inflatable

could be perfectly acceptable, to me"

Mental as Anything

Xena tried not to stare at the merchandise but part of her just couldn't stop herself. By the gods, there were things in here even she hadn't seen before. And she thought she'd seen just about everything. She couldn't believe they let Gallion in here. He was just a child! He was waiting outside at the moment, so as not to arouse suspicion. She looked over at Mensor who appeared to be quite at home in the establishment as he waded through various devices on a table in the far corner. He caught her looking at him and smiled. Gods. The owner must have been out back as they were alone for the moment. She allowed herself to gaze at the shelf walls behind the counter. They were laden with wares, almost overwhelmingly jam packed and a visual assault on the senses. There were larger figurines of Pan that resembled the tiny one Gallion had purchased. There were also statues of Bacchus and a few Aphrodite ones that even Aprodite might have blushed at, had she seen them. The corner of her eye caught something black and she turned to see a leather outfit hanging from the far wall. Her eyes widened. By the gods! It was Callisto's leathers. Xena had always wondered where she'd purchased such provocative attire, that had sacrificed quite a bit of protection, in the name of fashion. She was still shaking her head when her eye caught a glimpse of a familiar figure on the top shelf, tucked discreetly into the corner. Her jaw dropped.

"Resemblance is uncanny, isn't it?" Mensor smiled as he came up behind her.

"Hardly. And my sword is not that big." Xena said wryly. "And look at the legs! They're way too long in proportion to the rest of the...gods, dominatrix figure! And the chakrum. it's all wrong...who in Hades...can they do this??? Is it legal??" She cried.

"You have long legs." He laughed.

"You want the doll or are you just going to stare at it all morning?" A voice came from behind them.

Xena turned to face a beautiful blonde woman that would take your breath away. She was staring at her with piercing ice blue eyes. She couldn't believe such a creature would be in this store, and even worse, couldn't believe she was running it. "I don't want the doll. And besides, she's a warrior, what is she doing in this shop?" Xena just had to ask.

"Actually that's just the small figure, we have a life size blow up version out back, I could get it for you if you'd like." The woman smiled at her.

"No, no, that won't be necessary, thank you!" Xena stammered. Life size?!! Well she hoped they'd gotten the legs right on that one at least. She made a mental note to return here when all this was over and discreetly remove any evidence of her from the premises not to mention personally burn alive whoever had germinated such an idea.

"Look, you don't have to be shy in here." The blonde woman smiled. "I mean, you are here for something aren't you?" She asked as she walked behind the counter and reached up to grab the Xena doll, placing it on the counter in front of them. "A bit kinky, don't you think?" She smirked.

"Kinky!" Xena cried and then caught herself before she made a scene. "Yeah, I guess you could say that." She said evenly, looking over at Mensor. He smiled back at her.

"Actually, I'm more interested in your Pan figurines." She said trying to sound casual. Gods, she was bad at this. Suddenly she was feeling like she was fourteen again when she had stolen into her brother's Toris's room to sneak a peek at a certain drawing he had acquired from somewhere. Naturally, he'd caught her in the act and she'd never quite lived it down.

"Oh, well, we have many Pan figures, which one were you interested in?" She asked.

"Oh, um, I don't know, that one over there." Xena pointed to the medium sized figure of Pan on the second shelf. He was seated on the stump of a tree, playing his flute, and once again, sporting a ridiculously large appendage. She watched the woman bring it down for her and place it on the counter.

"Makes a nice mantle piece." She said looking over at them with a twinkle in her eye. "But you don't need Pan to get what you want, do you?" She asked looking at Xena with more than mild interest.

By the gods! What was it with this place? Maybe she should die her hair mouse brown or something. "Well, it's really for sentimental reasons, isn't that right dear?" She poked Mensor who had stopped paying attention long ago and was gazing at the beautiful store keeper.

"Huh? Yeah, right, sentimental. Listen, how big did you say the warrior life size figure was again?" Mensor asked leaning over the counter.

"Oh, about as tall as your wife here." She said, placing special emphasis on the wife part.

Xena glared over at Mensor and turned back to the store keeper. "So is Pan really big ..I mean .... popular in these parts?" She asked.

"Huge." The woman smiled at Xena. "There are various shrines erected for him on the mountain. Arcadia is, after all, his favorite stomping ground." She explained.

"Yes, I suppose it is." Xena said. "I just never really thought of him as anything more than a minor god really, barely worth mentioning..."

"I'd keep that to yourself around here." The woman said. "Wouldn't want to instill his wrath now, would you?"

"No, s'ppose not." Xena replied as she absentmindedly picked up the miniature replica of herself. She was once again deep in thought. After a long pause she finally spoke. "And what would that wrath entail exactly?"

"Do you really want to find out?" The woman leaned forward.

"Yes, actually." Xena said as she pulled out the tiny sword from the doll's scabbard and began twirling it between her fingers.

"Well, I suppose too much of anything can kill you eventually." The woman laughed at her. "So, are you planning to use that sword against me?" She asked, her eyes going to the counter.

Xena looked down at her hands, her eyebrow arched in mild surprise and then she placed the sword back in its sheath. "Kinda grows on you." She grinned and then looked back up at the woman. "So, any groups in town that we could join if we were interested in Pan worshipping?" She asked as she once again began fondling the doll.

"What is this, twenty questions?" The woman grinned back at her, looking into the warrior's eyes intently. "Here, let me help you with that." She placed her hands on Xena's in a sensual gesture. "You unclip the leathers here, at the waist. She has another outfit."

"She does?" Xena asked looking into the beautiful woman's eyes. Gods, they were so beautiful. She felt the warmth of her touch on her hands. It sent a shiver up her arms.

"Yes, it's her princess outfit." She smiled back at her. "When she's in disguise."

"Oh. Disguise." Xena said dreamily. What was she asking again? Right, the Pan club. Gods, this woman was distracting. She looked over at Mensor who appeared to be someplace else. She looked back at her. "You didn't answer my question."

"No, I guess I didn't." She smiled coyly. Oh my, she was a fine specimen. "I'm afraid there aren't any organized groups you could join. Sorry to disappoint. There's a small arm of the Hestian Virgins here in town, but I don't think that's for you."

"No, not for me.." Xena replied.

"You don't seem the group type." The woman said as she lifted Xena's hand from the doll and held it in her hands.

"No, I prefer..." Xena felt a warmth shoot through her from woman's sensuous touch. It was almost as inviting as Gabrielle's own hands....Gabrielle! What in Hades was she doing. She extracted her hand and looked away. "So, do you belong to any groups yourself?" She asked, careful not to look at the woman's eyes again. Instead she looked at Mensor who was completely gone. She came down hard on his foot with her own and his eyes shot open wide.

"Oww!" Mensor cried turning to look at the warrior with more than mild irritation.

"Are you alright?" The woman asked showing genuine concern for Mensor.

"Fine. Fine." He growled looking over at Xena with daggered eyes.

"Well," The woman smiled. "Have you decided what you want?"

"Nothing." Xena replied. "We really should get going."

"Well here," The woman gestured. "Take the doll, it's a gift on the house, you've taken quite a shining to it." She handed it to the warrior.

"Oh, thanks." Xena replied, careful to avoid any further eye contact with this woman as she turned to go.

"If you'll just sign here then." The woman pulled out a parchment and placed it on the counter and held out a quill to the warrior woman.

"Excuse me?" Xena asked looking back towards the counter.

"It's a formality, in any merchandise exchange." She smiled at the warrior, who she noticed with mild amusement, was avoiding eye contact.

"But you said it was free." Xena replied with growing frustration as she grabbed the quill from the woman's outstretched hand.

"But of course, for the records, you understand." She explained.

Xena gazed down at the parchment, it looked very old and the writing impossibly tiny filling almost the entire space. She began to read it. I hereby relinquish all responsibility for damage and or intended disruption of said goods and will not honour said agreement if at such time you, the user...blah blah blah...by the gods! She breathed deep the air, yet again, and signed the damn thing.

Xena handed back the quill to the woman, still expertly managing to avoid her eyes, and then turned to Mensor gesturing towards the door with her head.

"Right, yeah," Mensor went to follow then whispered to the woman. "Think you could hold the life size one for me?"

"Will do." She smiled and then called to Xena. " Oh, and don't forget to come back soon. We're getting in a Gabrielle doll, just in time for Solstice. They make a cute couple, don't you think?"

Xena froze at the door and turned to look at the woman. "Yeah, they do." She said evenly. The woman smiled back at her.

"Let's go." Mensor said as he grabbed her by the arm and pulled her out of the shop in fear a confrontation might erupt.

Gallion was waiting patiently near the entrance to the alley and smiled when they approached. "Any luck with what ever it was you..." He looked down at the doll in Xena's hand but dared not say anything as the woman did not appear to be in a good mood.

"Not much luck, but I'm a little wiser." Xena brooded. "There was something about that woman.."

"What woman?" Gallion asked with a puzzled expression.

"The shopkeeper, she was beautiful, I must say." Mensor piped up. Gods, he couldn't believe he was saying that, what in Tartarus had come over him. He never allowed himself to get like this.

"A woman?" Gallion puzzled. "It's an old man that runs that shop."

"Are you sure?" Xena asked.

"Sure I'm sure, I just bought this from him not an hour ago." Gallion replied but the warrior woman was already heading back down the alley. He and Mensor watched her disappear into the store.

Xena burst through the door to find an old man bent down placing merchandise on the shelf wall. "Excuse me, where is the lady that just served me?"

The old man turned around to stare with more than a little surprise at the tall raven haired beauty before him. "No woman here, you must be mistaken." He said eyeing her up and down. It was a rare moment in this place that someone like this graced its doorway.

Xena was on him, pinning him up against the wall, as he stared at her, wide eyed and gaped jaw. "I was just here and a woman, tall, blonde, blue eyes, served me. Now, tell me where she went and I won't give you anymore trouble. Understand?" She asked, with growing anger.

"I...I'm..telling you..I saw no woman...what would a woman be doing running a shop like this?...look, I want no trouble..take a Pan statue, here." He reached up and grasped one, "It's edible, might calm your nerves." He gasped.

Xena breathed in deep and let the man go. He was telling the truth even thought it contradicted her particular reality at the moment. In fact, most of what had occurred over the past few days fit that bill quite nicely. "I'm sorry...I'm just a little on edge."

"Well, you've come to the right place then." He said as he adjusted himself, crinking his neck back into its original position.

"No, no, that's quite alright...I was just leaving." She sighed as she turned to go.

"Sure you don't want an edible Pan?" He offered.

"Quite sure." Xena quipped as she exited.

Mensor and Gallion were waiting outside. "Well? Mensor asked.

"Gallion was right. It was an old man, swears he never saw a woman." Xena sighed. "Look, maybe we should split up, meet back at camp later. I need some time alone to think."

"Alright." Mensor said warily. He knew well enough not to question her any further. "Let's go Gallion."

Xena watched them head down the alley and when they were safely out of sight she headed to the only place she could think of that would get her some answers.

Chapter 18

---------------

"Hello.

Is there anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me.

Is there anyone home?"

Comfortably Numb, The Wall, Pink Floyd

Cairne jumped when he heard the knock on the door. He was sitting at the bedside watching the beautiful young woman sleeping peacefully in his bed, her arms tied to the posts. He hurriedly got up and closed the door heading out to the main room. "Who is it?" He asked, though he already knew.

"Xena." She answered through the barrier.

Hades, Hades, Hades. "What do you want?" He asked nervously.

"Just a moment of your time...please." She asked.

"I'm busy, I've told you already..."

"We could do this one of two ways Cairne. Either you open that door and let me in, or I break it down and you have to purchase a new one. Which will it be?" She warned.

"I guess I could spare a moment or two.." He sighed as he opened the door to reveal one desperate warrior that looked like she hadn't slept in a week. But there was a fire in her eyes that sent a cold shiver down his spine.

"Thanks." She said as she walked passed him and entered the room. She sat down in a chair and looked up at him.

Hades, he cried inwardly, she was parking herself. This was not good, not good at all. "Can I get you some tea?"

"No." She barked. "I'm not in a social mood at the moment. You see, my love is out there somewhere in the clutches of something evil that I still haven't been able to completely figure out and I'm wandering around the streets of Lycosura purchasing dolls!" She cried as she tossed the Xena figurine on the wooden table before her. "In fact, I'm in a downright rotten mood. And so far, there doesn't seem to be anybody I can throw my chakrum at to release some of this pent up aggression. Now I'm only telling you this because I'm about to put the pinch on you, as you know far more than your willing to tell. But I'd prefer we just do this the nice way, as you seem like a good man, despite your failings. ." She said looking intently into his eyes. "So, here's the deal. You have ten seconds to decide and after that, I can't promise you anything. Is that clear??!!" She breathed in deeply. Wow, she'd never spoken that much in one breath in her entire life. She closed her eyes and could almost feel Gabrielle with her, trying to calm her, as only she knew how. She began the count to ten.

"Alright, alright.." Cairne replied with agitation. "I'll tell you what I can. But first, I'm making tea, I think you need it." He said as he went over to the hearth and started preparations.

"It's a deal." She sighed. Seems there was a lot of that going around as well. But she suddenly was very thirsty as she hadn't drank anything since last night's dinner. She licked her lips realizing that they were very dry. Cairne came over and handed her a mug that she gratefully accepted. He sat down opposite her at the table clutching his own mug nervously.

"How's your head?" Cairne asked as he watched the warrior take a sip of the hot brew.

"My head, how did you know about my headache?" She asked warily as indeed its evil fingers were pressing down hard on her skull once again.

"Comes with the territory." He sighed.

"I see, as does memory loss?" She quipped gazing intently into his eyes to ensure she could decipher what was truth from fiction.

"A survival skill if one wishes to remain alive." He replied as he sipped from his own mug quietly.

She took another long drink, tasted pretty goods actually. The tension in her shoulders was finally releasing itself somewhat and she realized just how tired she was. She really should have never answered that door. When had she slept last? What? Two days? Anyway, back to the task at hand. What was she here for? Right. "How long have you known Lynchia?" She asked careful to study the dilation of his pupils for any sign of deceit.

"Many years actually." He replied honestly. "It was I who trained her in the arts, when she was very young." He sighed.

"You trained her?" Xena asked incredulously as she leaned closer towards him from across the table.

"Yes it's common practice to train those that hold the most promise, and Lynchia definitely fell into that category. In fact, I'd not seen anyone with as much potential as she in all my years as a mystic." He said as he sipped on his tea, once again thinking back to his earlier years, when he had been cold and ambitious.

Xena took another sip, letting the warm brew slide down and warm her insides. Gods she was tired but her headache was subsiding. She allowed herself to close her eyes for a moment and her thoughts drifted to Gabrielle. She could almost hear her breathing, her heart beating next to hers. She loved her so incredibly much she had to find her, she just...oh yeah. She opened her eyes to look at Cairne once again who was watched her intently. What was she asking again? Right. Lynchia. "What were you training her for Cairne?"

"For greatness." He replied as he watched the warrior battle Morpheus. She was very strong to have lasted this long he sighed inwardly. "She was to lead the cult, my protégé."

"Protégé?" She repeated slowly. "What cult? .....Pan?...." Her eyes felt incredibly heavy and a small fear began to swirl around in the pit of her stomach. She looked down at her mug and then looked back at Cairne, her eyes suddenly wide. "What did you..put..in.." Her hand slipped and the mug fell, the remainder of its contents spilling on the wooden floor.

"Something to help you relax." He replied. "I'm sorry. I really didn't want to have to do this but you left me little choice you see." As he watched the warrior brace herself on the table edge with her hands, as her head fought to pitch forward, her eyes beginning to roll in her head.

"Where's .... Gabrielle?" She pleaded, the words coming painfully slow from her mouth that was becoming increasing hard to maneuver.

"Actually, she's in the back room sleeping." He replied. "She's fine."

Xena's head rolled back but she pitched it forward from sheer will. "Here?" She asked incredulously. "Can I..see.please..." Her eyes rolled but she caught them.

"I Don't think Lynchia would allow.." He started but his heart was aching for this woman across from him. Gods, she should have long since gone down. She was incredible. And the love for her young friend very powerful.

"Plee..ase" She begged. "Don't let...anything..happen..to her..." Xena's head pitched forward onto the table.

Cairne let out a slow breath. Finally, she was out. But then his heart skipped a beat when she stirred and pulled herself up again. Her ice blue eyes pleaded with him. He couldn't stand it any longer. What had he become? At least when he had been evil he had been something. Now what was he? An old man, frightened, and worse, pathetic. Which was perhaps the worse evil of all. He got up and walked over to her. She attempted to follow his movement but with much difficulty. He braced himself against the table and helped her to her feet, almost collapsing when she sank into him, her knees buckling, but she righted herself. Unbelievable! He had put in twice the needed amount just to be sure, but this was unprecedented. "This way." He instructed as he led her to the back room, having to catch her twice as her knees sank involuntarily. He opened the door and guided her in.

Xena's vision had doubled and she raged against the darkness that fought to pull her down as she staggered on his shoulder towards a door. But then she saw her and she found another reserve deep in the recesses of her soul. "Gabrielle." She whispered as her knees buckled and she collapsed onto the bed and onto the sleeping bard.

The bard stirred and opened her eyes a crack. "I knew you'd come.." She sighed and her eyes closed again as she slipped back to nothingness.

Xena tried to reach up and untie Gabrielle's hands but her arms would not cooperate. She turned to look up at Cairne, "Let us..go.."

"I can't." Cairne sighed unable to meet the woman's ice blue stare.

"Then help me...fight..her.." Xena said as she bit down hard on her tongue, sending a shot of pain through her in the hopes of prolonging her consciousness.

He looked down at her wide eyed. "She's too powerful...and she has powerful friends...you don't know what you're asking...I'm sorry, I can't help you, I can't even help myself." He looked away. Gods, how many minutes did he have before she'd detect them, five maybe? Perhaps less.

"I will ...destroy her Cairne...with... or without your help." Xena said as she bit down hard on her tongue again, tasting blood this time.

"Stop talking and let me think!" He cried. He was already dead. He was sure of it now. Any moment she'd come in that door and just for contemplating it, he'd be fried on the spot. Hades, Hades, Hades. And then he caught movement out of the corner of his eye as the warrior lunged at him. He jumped out of the way just in time as she crashed to the ground. But then her arm shot out and grabbed his ankle gripping it hard causing pain to shoot up his leg. He was so fascinated by this super human display he hardly noticed it. Then his eyes widened as he felt her pull him down. He landed on top of her, face to face. Before he could say another word she'd cut off the flow of blood to his brain. He couldn't believe it!

"I've...cut...flow..of.." She slurred up at him as her eyes rolled back once again. She knew she was taking a chance as she wasn't sure she could reverse it but she no longer cared. Either he was with her or he wasn't and drastic times called for drastic measures.

"I know." He gasped as he looked down at her. He reached up with his fingers and poked himself in the neck releasing it. "I'm well versed in that technique." He explained.

She let her head drop in defeat. By the gods, these people were infuriating! Her eyes closed once again and she could no longer open them as that last attempt had drained all her reserves. Her head rolled to its side and she finally succumbed to the darkness, her hands slipping from him and falling lifelessly to the ground with a dull thud.

He sat there looking down at the unconscious warrior. He willed his mind to go blank. Then he pictured himself sitting by the hearth reading an old incantation book he'd left for dead over ten years ago. It was dusty and dry to the touch as he fingered through its pages. He sipped on a mug of tea that he'd brewed only moments ago. He was relaxed and at ease, relaxed and at ease. He repeated this vision a few more times and prayed it would be enough to throw her. He waited for the door to open for what seemed like an eternity, though only a minute had passed. And then another minute, and still the knock did not come. He might just live to see the sunrise after all, he thought, as he exhaled slowly, looking back down at the fallen warrior. He got up and went into the other room, clanging various bottles around until he found what he was looking for. He scurried back into his room and knelt beside her, placing a small brown powder under her tongue. He waited. It took less than a minute before she began to stir, moaning softly as her body fought the counter effects of the herbs that battled with the greater urge to sleep. Her eyes fluttered momentarily and then opened wide, as a great pain seized her heart. She shot up into a seated position clutching her chest as she gasped for air.

"Breathe out." He instructed as he put his arm around her. "It will pass." She obeyed as her body began to shake from the shock. She looked over at him, great pain visible in her blue eyes. She tried to speak but couldn't and he motioned her to stop trying. "I'm sorry, once again." He sighed. "But I need you conscious if you're going to be any good at all." He smiled at her. "I guess I've just changed sides."

Xena nodded in understanding as she tried to focus and breathe as he'd instructed. She thought she was going to die at first, as she felt as if her heart was going to explode right through her chest but with each passing breath the pain subsided some. Well at least she was getting somewhere, she sighed inwardly. She finally managed to move her head to the left just a bit and she caught a glimpse of Gabrielle sleeping peacefully before her and the pain didn't seem so bad.

"Try and keep your mind blank...if your emotions run too high...she'll find them if she's scanning." He instructed as he caught her gazing at Gabrielle on the bed. He placed his hand on her chest. "Getting better?" He asked hopefully. She nodded an affirmation. "Good. It will pass, you might feel a bit sick but you'll be functional." He explained. "I'll be back with some water." He said as he got up and left the room.

Xena gazed over at Gabrielle once again, trying hard not to allow her heart to melt from the sight of her. She hadn't seen her since they'd left on unspeakable terms last night and she longed to hold her in her arms. Then she looked away remembering Cairne's words and erected her warrior wall she'd almost forgot she possessed these last few weeks. It was funny how things came in handy at the strangest of times. Cairne was true to his word as the pain dissipated, now replaced by an uneasy sensation in her gut as the tea slid around nervously looking for an exit. She swallowed hard. Cairne came back and handed her a mug of water which she accepted gratefully drinking back its entire contents in the hopes of silencing any protests. She didn't have time for that now. "Untie her." She gasped, finally able to speak.

"Yes," He replied as he bend down over the bard and undid the knots that bound her hands to the posts. He crossed them gently on her chest and turned back to the warrior who was still seated on the floor, catching her breath. He came back over offering her his hand that she accepted and he pulled her to her feet. He watched her balance herself with some difficulty, opening and closing her eyes a few times. "The dizziness will pass also, here, sit on the bed." He guided her over and she sat beside the sleeping bard.

Xena looked down at her, part of her wanted to sink down and curl up beside Gabrielle and forget about everything. She felt so ill at the moment she could hardly think but she steeled herself and turned back to the mystic. She allowed one hand to reach down at grasp the sleeping bard's hand, squeezing it gently and letting it rest there. "Can I wake her?" She asked tentatively.

"She's in a hypnotic induced state, she won't wake for hours without much difficulty." He explained as he pulled up a wooden chair and sat opposite the warrior.

"Well that wouldn't be any worse than a normal day." Xena quipped. Gods the bard was impossible in the mornings, of course her new weapon had changed that. Now all she had to do was kiss her on...

"Stop thinking about her." He snapped.

Xena shook her head. "Sorry. Bad habit."

"Well what's the plan?" He asked.

"The plan. The plan." Xena sighed, looking up at the ceiling. "I was hoping this would be a collaborative effort since you seem to know everything."

"And it hasn't done me any good yet, other than get me killed very soon." He said with sad eyes.

"The eternal optimist." Xena quipped, looking over.

"You don't know what you're dealing with." He sighed. "You're very brave, very intelligent, strong, very strong actually, determined without question.."

Xena arched an eyebrow. "You're right, I don't know what I'm dealing with. You never answered my question about the cult, is it a Pan cult?"

"The cult itself is a group of mystics, sorcerers, some call us witches, each region has a different take on it. We, or rather they, I'm no longer part of it anymore, worship the dark forces, Hecate, Bacchus, till you blew him up actually. You pissed quite a few people off with that one I might add."

"I've pissed off many." Xena agreed.

"He's not dead by the way, just collecting himself."

"Great."

"Anyway, Lynchia now leads the cult and has grown quite powerful, her right hand woman is Sauri, tall blonde.."

"Blue eyes, drop dead gorgeous?" Xena butted in.

"I see you've met her."

"Yeah, at PanHandelher, down the street."

"Really." Cairne said as his own eyebrow raised. "I see."

"I was investigating!" Xena cried. "And I must say it was..."

"Don't get wound up." Cairne warned.

"Right, yes." Xena replied. "Go on."

"And lately she's been using Pan to get what she wants." He said.

"And what is that exactly?" Xena leaned forward intently.

"Why Ultimate Power, of course. Is there anything else?" He asked incredulously.

"Ultimate Power." Xena repeated. "Rule the world no doubt?"

"And then some. Eventually, there will be no stopping her evil."

"Only a god has that kind of power and still there are rules.."

"Lynchia lives by her own set of rules, very different from yours and void of mercy. Oh, by the way, Callisto's coming back soon."

"Terrific." Xena growled as her stomach flipped at the thought of her returning, yet again.

"Sorry, but, I see things. Can't help myself." He sighed. "And as for gods only having ultimate power that's just not true, though they'd like you to think so. Lynchia has darker plans. She's attempting to summon the Old Ones through the portal."

"Old Ones?" Xena asked.

"Yes, demons, entities, powerfully dark, powerfully evil." He sighed. "Believe me, you don't want to go there."

"Great." Xena groaned.

"Anyway, she's dealing with Pan at the moment. He's a bit of a, er shall we say...simpleton. But he's powerful nonetheless, as you discovered last night." He explained.

"On the alter?" Xena asked. "So then, it was Pan, not Lynchia?"

"Yes, it was Pan. It was Lynchia that woke Gabrielle actually. For different reasons but she saved you there from something, er, rather, unfortunate. But don't underestimate her Xena. She's very close to gaining more than enough power to do what she wills with you I'm afraid."

"I see. How can I fight it?" She asked.

"Your darkness, is very strong. I can see that. And your wall very concrete. Spent many years erecting that one eh?" He smiled at her.

"Yes." She said quietly. And the last little while breaking it down. Bad timing, it would seem.

"Not to worry, it takes more than a few days to lose something that reinforced. And besides, you should learn to use it like a tool, instead of perceiving it as a weakness. Embrace it. It's a part of you."

"I guess it is." She said as she absentmindedly squeezed the bard's hand tighter. Gabrielle stirred in her sleep from the warrior's touch.

"Actually, you're the most intriguing woman I've come across in years. You're soul is very powerful, which of course is why she wants it." He sighed.

"She wants me?" Xena asked.

"Yes, you're the prize, you don't think it was by chance you ended up here do you? There's no such thing. It was Lynchia that called for you." He explained. "And I must admit, she's chosen well."

"So I'm the offering then. Not Gabrielle."

"I'm afraid so. And if Pan finds you to his liking, she'll get what she wants." He sighed.

"To become a god." Xena stated.

"No actually. Something darker." He sighed. "As a god, there are too many restrictions. She plans to become and anti-god. Even Hecate is forced to boundary restrictions. They've got a little deal going. She supplies him with the maidens, he collects the souls. He's trying to gain power to earn respect on Mount Olympus. They won't let him in, and he feels he deserves it. With each offering, he gets stronger, as does Lynchia, as he gives her more power in exchange. And eventually he'll open the portal from where darkness is born. And once she greets the portal she will become one with the darkness. But he won't grant her what she truly wants until she produces someone able to survive the ritual. And none have been good enough..until now."

"I see. And the ritual, what exactly does that entail?" Xena asked though she had a vague idea and her stomach was starting to roll again. She swallowed.

Cairne looked at Xena who's pallor was very gray. "I'll get you more water." He got up and left the room coming back with a mug handing it to her. She gladly accepted it and took another long drink. "The ritual, well it's out of the question if you want to survive I'm afraid. You see it's a double edged sword. If you don't survive you die, naturally, and he'll consume your power as his own, and if you do live, he gets your soul for eternity and then you'd rather be dead."

"Well I already promised it to Gabrielle." She sighed. " And I don't feel like dying tonight, never mind I haven't made it to the Isle of Lesbos for my much needed vacation yet."

"Yes, and I heard it's quite nice this time of year." Cairne commented.

"Yes it is." She replied dreamily. "Anyway, so I think the plan.."

"Shhh!" Cairne cried. "By the gods...she's coming." The warrior's eyes widened. "Quick, get under the bed and use that wall to keep her out. I've got to tie Gabrielle's hands! Hades!" He jumped up and grabbed the rope.

"I don't know if I can..." Xena stammered.

"Now! There's no time! Or we're all dead!" He cried and the warrior finally relented, getting down on the ground. "And become one with Gabrielle's heartbeat or she'll know....hurry!" He stiffened when he heard the knock on the door. He quickly finished tying the ropes as he breathed deeply and emptied his thoughts. Then he rose to answer but she was already taking the liberty.

"Cairne." Lynchia smiled as she saw him enter the main room from the bedroom. "How's are little guest?"

"Sleeping." He replied nervously. Nothing, nothing, nothing.

"Much ado about nothing today eh Cairne?" She quipped as she walked past him and entered the bedroom. She sat down on the edge of the bed looking down at Gabrielle. "So pretty, isn't she, though I still can't for the life of me see what Xena sees in her." She ran her finger down Gabrielle's throat. She turned to look at Cairne studying his face. "Are you hiding something Cairne?" She asked slyly.

"No, what makes you say that?" He asked. Nothing, nothing, nothing.

"Oh, I don't know, you've gone a bit quiet, that's all." She smiled. "Have you by chance seen Xena?" She asked casually.

"No." He replied too quickly. "I mean not since this morning."

"Funny, can't quite locate her at the moment. Odd, don't you think?"

"Perhaps she's resting." He offered.

"Hardly seems the type to rest, not with her precious bard missing." She said looking at him intently.

Xena lay there, concentrating on the bard's heartbeat. She could feel it as her own. She knew only of her heartbeat and tried to block out all thought and sounds besides the rhythm of its flow. Sweat began to pour down her face and her stomach was lazily flipping yet again but she pushed this all down deep inside and became one with Gabrielle. She breathed with her, she was her, she became her heart.

"You know Cairne. How long have we known each other?" She asked, getting up from the bed and walking back into the main room.

He followed after her. "Long enough." He sighed.

She looked down thoughtfully. "True." She bent down and picked up the discarded mug on the wooden floor. "Drop this?" She asked.

He hurried over taking it from her. "Yes actually, I did." And then his heart froze in his chest as he gazed at the Xena doll on the table. He stepped in front of Lynchia, blocking her view of the table. "Thirsty? I could make you some tea?"

"I'm not interested in tea Cairne." She smiled. "But you know that don't you?"

"I'm not sure what you're getting at Lynchia. I've done as I'm told and I will deliver her tonight as planned. What more do you want from an old man?" He sighed as his hand grabbed the doll pulling it behind his back. Nothing, and then some.

"You're pathetic Cairne." She rolled her eyes. "Pathetic. Give it to me." She extended her hand out.

He brought his arm round and handed her the doll.

Her eyes widened. "Well, well Cairne. So this is your dirty little secret. By the gods, I'd have expected more, even from you."

"Well, it's not something I'm, er, proud of." By the gods. Nothing, oh yeah, nothing.

"Getting a little old for dolls aren't you? " She asked. "I think I'll keep this, do you mind?" She asked, though merely as a formality. She turned and walked back into the bedroom where the bard lay sleeping, twirling the doll around in her hand. "Something's bothering me Cairne."

"Oh?" Cairne said coming up behind her. "Well, tonight's a big night for you...perhaps you're nervous?"

"Really Cairne." She smirked and then got serious, running her fingers over the leather outfit of the doll. "No, can't quite put my finger on it. She's never been unscannable before. Yet I feel her closeness."

Breathe in as one, breathe out as one. You are one, you are her heart, she is your heart, we are the same.

We are one.

"She's probably mixed in with the others in the market square, she was pretty desperate when she came her earlier." He offered. He groaned inwardly when Lynchia sat down again on the bed.

"Perhaps....perhaps..." She pondered looking down at the bard. She placed her hand on her heart. "So strong." She smiled. "She has her essence on her, did you notice?" She asked running the doll down the bard's chest.

Continued - Part 5

Back To Main XIP Fan Fiction Page