Chapter Three

 Madison’s glared at the officer as she pressed around her tall, muscular frame to reach Toby.  “Jesus, Toby.  I’m sorry but I’m going to have to put the stitches back in.”  Taking the large man by the arm, she glared at Logan a loathingly as she began leading the man down the sidewalk, away from the alley and the intimidating officer. 

Toby shuffled along beside Madison quietly until they reached her Pathfinder.  As she unlatched the back hatch and motioned for him to sit on the open gate, he looked at her in surprise.  “Ms. Madi, I can’t sit in your car, mam.  I’ll get it all dirty.”

Taking his arm, once again, Madison pulled Toby down beside her on the gate.  “Toby, I’m not worried about my car at the moment.  My main concern is your face, it’s not going to be as easy to stitch it this time and I’m concerned about it scarring.”

As Madison prepared a syringe so she could inject the local anesthetic into Toby’s cheek a shadow fell across her shoulder.  Turning around and looking into the eyes of the officer, she scowled.  “Don’t you think you’ve caused enough problems for one evening, officer?  You’re in my light.  Please move.”

Logan’s brow arched as she looked at the irritated expression on Madison’s face.  Her first inclination was to turn and walk away, but something in this woman’s eyes held her there.  Inhaling the faint spicy scent wafting from the woman, Logan pulled a Mag light from her back pocket and leaned in to shine the light on Toby’s face.  “Sorry Toby, I know it’s bright but the Doc here needs to see.”

“S’ok, Officer Mac, I understand.”  Toby closed his eyes grimacing as the needle punctured his skin.  “Damn, Ms. Madi, I thought that stuff was supposed to stop it from hurting.”

After capping and dropping the empty syringe into her bag, Madison turned, once again, to Logan.  “Thanks for the light Officer.” 

“No problem.”  Logan watched as Madison disinfected the wound and began replacing the sutures.  For the first time, she noticed the long, slender fingers of Madison’s hands, which were steady and sure as she gently sutured the wound.  Logan noticed the contrast in her own hands as the light shook under her trembling palm.

Madison glanced towards Logan, “I appreciate what you’re doing but can you hold the light a little steadier, Officer?”

Sighing, Logan rested the butt of the light on her shoulder trying to steady the beam.  “Sure Doc.  Sorry, it’s a little cold out here tonight.”  Logan prayed the doctor would accept the explanation of being cold and not see through the lame excuse she had contrived for her shaking hands.  For the first time in what seemed like ages, Logan McGregor found herself nervous as she inched closer to the attractive woman.

Completing the sutures, Madison again applied a topical disinfectant to the wound before covering it with a sterile bandage.  Resting her hand on Toby’s shoulder, she looked at him seriously.  “Now I want you to keep that covered and clean.  Okay?”  Reaching into her bag, pulling out several pre-wrapped bandages, she placed them in his hand.  “I’ll be back next week to see how this is doing.  I’ll meet you here, about this same time.  Think you can remember?”

Smiling, Toby stood.  “Sure thing, Ms Madi.  I always like seeing you around here.”  Glancing at Logan, he continued.  “There aren’t many nice folks come down here to see us street people.”  Turning and walking back towards the alley, Toby yelled back over his shoulder.  “You be careful out here Ms. Madi.  And remember what I said - anybody mess with you, you tell me and I’ll take care of’m for ya.”

Closing the gate to the Pathfinder, Madison chuckled as she called back to Toby.  “I will, Toby.  You take care of yourself and I’ll see you next week.”  With the bag in her hand, Madison began walking down the sidewalk and away from Logan.  Knowing she should thank the officer, even though her earlier actions had infuriated her, Madison turned back towards Logan.  “Thanks for your help, Officer.”

Logan stood watching the retreating figure for a few moments before mumbling to herself under her breath, and setting off in a jog to catch up with her.  Falling into step beside the woman, they walked a short distance before Madison stopped, and turning towards Logan, looked at her with questioning eyes.  “Is there something I can help you with, Officer…ummm, I don’t think I caught your last name?”

“McGregor.  Logan McGregor.”  She responded, instantly regretting her decision to pursue the woman, but knowing she had been given no alternative.  “I, ahhh…you shouldn’t be out here alone, Doc.  If you haven’t heard, there have been several murders in this area over the last few weeks.”  Regaining her composure, Logan stared back into the green eyes that bore into hers.

Finding that she was having a difficult time unraveling this unusual woman, Madison gave up and turned, walking further down the sidewalk.  “I appreciate your concern, Officer McGregor, but I hardly think that I fit the profile of the murderer’s victims.  I don’t frequent the bars in this neighborhood, and even if I did, I certainly wouldn’t be leaving with a strange man.”  Madison tensed as a strong hand encircled her arm.  Turning to face Logan, she was met with a dark scowl.  “Will you please remove your hand from my arm, Officer?”

Dropping her hand, Logan took a deep breath to calm her rapidly rising temper.  “Look, I know we got off to a bad start back there but it really isn’t safe for you to be out here by yourself.  Why don’t you let me tag along with you until you’re done?”

Madison couldn’t stop the boisterous laugh that escaped and noticed Logan’s confused and angry face.  “Sorry, Officer McGregor, but I think our initial meeting is the very reason for why you shouldn’t tag along with me.”  Seeing the comprehension cross Logan’s face, Madison smiled.  “I seriously doubt any of these citizens would allow me within fifty feet of them if they saw you walking along beside me, Officer McGregor.  Sorry, but I think I’ll go solo on this one.”  Continuing her trek along the sidewalk, Madison heard the officer mumble something unintelligible.  She smiled to herself, knowing she had put the overbearing officer in her place.  As she turned down yet another dark alley, Madison glanced back to see Logan standing on the sidewalk where she had left her, watching.  A slight chill ran up her spine as she regarded the dangerous yet very attractive woman.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Walking slowly back to her car, Logan thought back over the last hour.  Shaking her head, she couldn’t understand why this Ms. Madi, had been so rude.  She had only been trying to protect her and Toby had been arrested the previous year for attempting to assault a young coed.  Of course, Toby had claimed that the young woman had snatched a dollar that a passerby had just placed in his hand.  The coed had denied the accusation and refused to press charges so Logan had let the incident drop, but she had continued to keep an eye on the man whenever she was in the neighborhood.

Climbing into her truck, Logan sat watching as people milled along the Strip.  She’d had an unusual feeling all day.  Something in her gut told her that the murderer was in the area tonight and she had decided to drive over, on her own time, to watch the area.  It was while she sat watching the crowd that she saw the woman disappear into the alleyway. 

Thinking a drug deal was about to take place, she waited for a few minutes before dropping from her truck and crossing the street.  She had been about to ease into the shadows when she noticed Toby exiting the alley with the woman, his hand on her arm.  Recalling her previous experience with Toby, her first reaction had been to put distance between him and the woman.  It never occurred to her the woman might actually be seeking Toby, much less be a doctor.  Thinking back on the incident, Logan could understand the doctor’s reaction to the offer to accompany her.  “Great McGregor.  You don’t even know the woman’s name and you’ve managed to piss her off.  Yep, you’re a real charmer.”

Logan released a sigh of relief when she saw Madison turn the corner onto Smallman Street about an hour later.  She had unconsciously stopped watching the crowds some time ago and found she was searching every face she saw for signs of the mysteriously attractive woman.  Logan felt her heart race as Madison climbed into her Pathfinder and pulled out into the late evening traffic.  Pulling her Durango into traffic behind Madison, she began following the woman far enough behind not to be noticed.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Madison suddenly felt the fatigue she had fought off all day encompass her body as she unlocked the door and entered the house.  Switching on the foyer lights, she walked towards the kitchen hearing the familiar sound of her beloved Labrador slide through the pet door in the laundry room.  Laughing as the overgrown pup’s paws failed to gain traction of the slate floor in his excitement of her return, she knelt down and allowed his cold nose to nuzzle her neck.  “Hey there, big guy.  I’ll bet your hungry.” 

Rising, she walked over to his bowl and filled it with his food, and then turned towards the refrigerator to find something for herself.  Placing a plate of leftover roast in the microwave, she began walking towards her bedroom.  She abruptly stopped and turned back towards the door, sliding the security chain home as she recalled the uneasy feeling of being followed, that she had experienced driving home. 

Turning back towards the hallway, she shed her clothes as she moved towards the bathroom and the shower that awaited her.  Stepping into the shower, Madison allowed the warm water to rain down across her shoulders, as she felt the tension of the day release its hold on her body.  Washing her hair and body in record time, she found herself back in the kitchen ten minutes later, gulping down the warmed food under the watchful eye of Femur. 

Looking down into the pleading eyes, Madison gave in to the silent begging.  Tossing him a small piece of roast, she watched as the Lab jumped and snatched the morsel out of the air.  Slipping down beside the pup, Madison laughed as he eased his way into her lap and nudged her hand onto his head.  Scratching his ear, she thought about the remarkable strides he had made in the last few months, towards a full recovery. 

She had found him on the side of the road, near death, after being hit by a passing car.  She had stopped with the intention of dropping him off at her Vet but after looking into his pleading eyes, she knew they were bound together for a lifetime.  When Nicole had seen Madison rush into the clinic with the canine in her arms, she had immediately evaluated the dog’s condition.  Madison had been adamant about assisting with the surgery to reset and pin his broken femur and she had spent the rest of the night sitting beside his cage after the surgery waiting for those dark eyes to open.  When, at last, they finally did open she had gently stroked his head, and talked softly to him until his fear dissipated and he once again slept. 

Femurs recovery had been a long, hard road for both of them.  He had spent several weeks in the hospital before being able to come to his new home.  However, once inside, he had claimed the domain his own and life as Madison knew it hadn’t been the same since.  Hours of rehab had taken its toll on both animal and human but the bond that had been forged with each tear and cry from both had proven to be unbreakable.  Now as she sat on the floor, Madison knew that the one thing in her life that was a constant was this beautiful animal’s love. 

Patting his back, she lifted herself off the floor and bolted in a dead run towards the bedroom.  They both made a flying leap for the bed at the same time and fell into a friendly wrestling match which, before long, had both breathing hard and tired.  As Madison stood and peeled off her clothes, Femur took his usual spot beside the bed.  Giving him one last scratch, she slid between the sheets and turned out the light.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 Logan watched Madison exit Interstate 79 into Bridgeville and then continued heading west until she came to the next exit.  Veering off onto the ramp, she decreased her speed as she neared the traffic light.  Making a left turn, she maneuvered the Durango down the entrance ramp and back onto the Interstate heading East,  back towards the city.  A pang of guilt surged through her consciousness at the thought of trailing the mysterious woman.  Her curiosity had won over her sensible nature and before she realized what she was doing, they were well outside the city. 

Pulling into her drive, Logan climbed out of the truck and trudged up the steps to the house.  Even now, after a year, she still missed seeing Diane’s car sitting in the drive next to hers.  Locking the door behind her, Logan considered eating a light dinner but discarded the idea as the tension of the day settled into her tired shoulders.  Walking into the bedroom, she tore off her clothes, slid naked between the sheets and was soon fast asleep. 

The darkness of sleep provided only an occasional escape from the emptiness she felt within her soul.  Tonight though, sleep wasn’t a source of peaceful escape as Logan’s eyes flew open, images of Diane’s body flashing through her brain.  Sitting up in the dark bedroom, Logan tried to slow her breathing as she tossed the covers back and headed for the bathroom splashing cold water onto her face, as the images once again flashed like a slide show behind her eyes.  Toweling her face, she looked up into the mirror at her reflection.  “It’s all your fault, McGregor.  If you had just been there for her that one time, just one fucking time.”  As the fury built within her soul, Logan struck out, smashing the reflection in the mirror with her fist, watching motionless as shards of glass and drops of blood fell haphazardly into the sink.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Continue to Part Four of Code Blue


Return to The Bard's Corner