chapter seventeen

Rebecca knew that what she should do was go home and catch some sleep, but she was too restless for that. Watts was following up on the scant help they’d gotten from Alonso Richards, the inmate at the State Correctional Institution at Graterford, in exchange for a promise to get him moved to another cell block far away from a particular prisoner who wanted to kill him for reasons Richards couldn’t imagine. He’d reluctantly given them a couple of names of some of his old running buddies who’d might know somebody who possibly knew somebody who maybe had once helped make some sex movies. But he swore he didn’t know who or where or for whom—all he knew was that it was someplace in the city and the chicks were young.  Maybe Watts would pull another rabbit out of his hat, but she'd pretty much resigned herself to the fact that unless Sloan came up with something, or an informant gave her a lead, for the moment she had nothing to chase. But Jeff’s murder was still open and she wanted to be able to tell Shelly Cruz that justice had been done when she went to see her. She'd been putting off visiting Jeff's widow because she was embarrassed that the department—that she—had nothing substantial to offer the young widow in terms of consolation.

Taking a shot in the dark, she drove back to the station house and took the elevator to the fourth floor where the Homicide division was housed. She usually walked up, but she was beat. A couple of detectives she knew nodded hello, one of them remarking as she passed, "Good to see you back, Frye."

She muttered her thanks, but didn’t stop to talk. She found the person she was looking for in the coffee room, jacket off, feet propped on a wastepaper basket, multi-tasking with an open murder book propped next to her brown bag lunch.

"Sorry to bother you," Rebecca said to the woman in the dark blue suit as she closed the door to the small stuffy space behind her. There was a window with a view of the river, but it was grimy and looked to be nailed shut. "Got a minute?"

Trish Marks glanced up from the case file she was reviewing, startled but too experienced to show it. "Frye. How are you doing?"

"I’m not bad. You?"

"Different day, same old shit. Crime might be down, but murder still has a way of happening."

Rebecca nodded. "I know what you mean. Sex still sells, too."

Trish closed the thick file and pushed it aside, draining her coke can and tossing it into a nearby wastebasket. Leaning back in her chair, she fixed Frye with a steady look. "What's on your mind?"

"Jeff Cruz and Jimmy Hogan."

“Why aren't I surprised," Marks said to herself, and it wasn't meant to be a question. She got up and stretched, then walked to the coffee machine and poured a cup. She glanced inquiringly at Rebecca, who shook her head no. When she had added two sugars and enough fake cream to give herself brain cancer, she walked back to the table and sat down again. "What have you heard?"

Rebecca wondered how much to reveal. Trish Marks had a rep as a solid cop, and every time Rebecca had interacted with her in the past, everything she'd seen had seemed to confirm that. On the other hand, Marks was one of the detectives who was responsible for solving Jeff's murder, and she hadn't done that. Rebecca had to wonder why she’d dropped the ball. For a moment, the two women simply assessed one another in the silence. At first glance they didn’t seem all that similar, even though Marks was about Rebecca's age. She was dark where Rebecca was light, short where Rebecca was tall, mildly curvaceous where Rebecca was lean--but the look in their eyes was a matched set--tough, competent, and wary.

Rebecca could almost see it when Marks reached a decision, and she just waited, giving the Homicide detective a chance to gather her thoughts. There were allegiances to be considered, and cops were loath to give out information on their cases, even to other cops. Finally, Marks began to speak.

"We didn't get anything from the crime scene, which is about what you'd expect. Flanagan worked it hard but there just wasn’t anything to find.”

"Contract hit, right?"

Trish nodded. "Despite how fucked up this case got, I still think that's the truth. There was absolutely nothing at the scene to go on. And no rumors on the street to say differently—no talk of personal beefs, nothing to suggest it was a drug buy gone bad. Everything about it spelled hit." She stopped, wondering without much hope if Frye would let it go at that.

"What about Jimmy Hogan's files? What about his supervisors? Somebody somewhere knew what he was into. The last time I spoke with you and your partner, you hadn't had a chance to go through Jimmy's cases. What did you turn up there?"

Marks’ eyes narrowed. “Nothing.”

"Now, see, that's where I start to get confused," Rebecca said tonelessly, her eyes boring into the woman across from her. "What did his Captain say? What about his contact man in Narco? He must have been reporting to someone."

"Yeah, maybe he was.” Marks shrugged. “But I've got a feeling it wasn't anybody in narcotics." She watched Frye stiffen in surprise, the first sign of any unguarded emotion the blond detective had shown since she'd walked into the room, and Marks hastened to add, "and that stays in this room."

"Are you telling me you don't think Hogan was undercover for narcotics?" Unconsciously, Rebecca reached under the left side of her jacket and rubbed her chest, trying to work the tightness out of the scar. When she realized what she was doing, she placed her palms flat on her thighs. Never let on you're tired; never let on you're hurt; never let on you're scared. Where'd she learn that—the academy, or home? She concentrated on Trish Marks, and forgot about the pain.

"What I'm saying is, no one in narcotics is willing to cop to being Jimmy's contact. No one admits to having received any significant intel from him in months. And the more I asked about it, the bigger the wall got. Finally, I couldn’t get anybody over there to talk to me at all."

"You think they were shut down by someone higher up?"

"Probably, but I can't get a line on who that somebody might be.”

Rebecca's mind was racing furiously. There was a strange sort of logic to what Marks had told her. If Jimmy Hogan was undercover, he could be gathering information on anything—for anyone--not necessarily simply on drug traffic for the Narco division. The problem was, if he wasn't narcotics, then who was he? Or more importantly, what was he? She was beginning to see how people thought Hogan might have turned bad, and that kind of suspicion naturally tainted anyone who was associated with him, including her partner.

"Has anyone specific told you to back off the case?" she asked Marks.

For the first time, Marks looked like she was contemplating an evasion. "Look, Frye, I don't think that this homicide is solvable. You know as well as I do that finding a contract killer is almost impossible. Someone hires an out-of-towner who is only here for an afternoon and there's absolutely no way to trace him. He flies in; he rents a car, along with a thousand other businessmen at the airport; he drives to a location that someone else has already set up; he identifies Hogan—probably from a faxed photo and, unfortunately, Cruz is with him. He needs to take Hogan out and anybody with him that could identify him. Bang Bang, two dead cops. He turns around, he drives back to the airport, and he goes back to where ever he lives. End of story."

"You know, Marks, when you're talking to another cop, it's pretty obvious when there’s something you don't want to say. I can tell when you’re trying to blow me off." Rebecca waited.

"Fuck." Marks strafed her short thick dark hair in frustration. "All I know is one morning a few days after you got taken down during that Blake thing, the Chief of Detectives was in a closed door meeting with your captain and my captain. An hour later, Horton and I got the word to back off the case. They gave us some bullshit about IAD following up on it.” She snorted derisively. “Like that was supposed to make us happy."

It was Rebecca's turned to look startled. "Captain Henry was in on this?"

“"Yeah, he was there,” Marks admitted, nodding uncomfortably. “Look, I didn’t hear the conversation, Frye. Give me a break. But I got the distinct feeling that if I ever wanted to make detective one, I'd better toe the line. And that's what I did. Sorry, Frye, but he wasn't my partner."

Rebecca stood and extended her hand. "Thanks, Marks. I know you didn't have to give me anything. And as far as I'm concerned, if anybody asks, you didn't."

*****

Her first impulse had been to the storm into Captain John Henry's office and demand to know what the fuck was going on. Fortunately, it was one floor down and an entire city block away and by the time she was halfway there, she realized that if she were going to confront anyone about the situation, she needed to have a little bit more than just a hunch under her belt. What she needed to do was dig a little bit more into Jimmy Hogan's background, and for that she was going to need to talk to some people at the Academy as well as the narcotics detectives he'd worked with. There were things she could get from a computer search, too, but she didn't want to do that in the middle of the squadroom in the middle of the afternoon. She believed Marks' story that someone high up in the chain of command had shut down the homicide investigation, and that could mean any number of things. It could mean there were things that the bureaucrats who really ran the Police Department did not want made public, like the fact that Jimmy Hogan was dirty. That was certainly one explanation. It could also mean that the people in charge who were supposed to know what was happening didn't have a clue as to what was really happening, and the best way to protect your own ass was to limit the flow of information. She could almost believe that IAD had taken over the investigation, which as far as she was concerned was about equivalent to flushing it down the toilet. IAD had never solved anything that she was aware of, but they did answer directly to the Chief and the Commissioner, so they would be the logical choices to take over the investigation if the brass wanted the findings kept quiet. That would fit with what Flanagan said about IAD raiding her files. And then there was the possibility that Jimmy Hogan was exactly what he appeared to be--an undercover narcotics detective who had done his job so well that someone in the Zamora organization had seen him as competition, and simply had him eliminated. Jeff was there by mistake, and just got caught in the crossfire. She probably would have believed that, if so many roadblocks hadn't been thrown up around the case.

By the time she pulled up in front of Sloan's building, her headache was raging and her temper was ready to snap. Maybe concentrating on the investigation was the best thing she could do for the moment. As she stepped from her car, she thought fleetingly to the few moments she had spent with Catherine earlier that afternoon. It occurred to her that the best thing she could really do would be to meet Catherine after work, take her somewhere for dinner, forget about prostitution and pornography and dead partners, and simply enjoy the company of a beautiful, intelligent woman who loved her. Why was it, she wondered, that she wasn't going to do just that?

 

chapter eighteen

Mitchell jumped to her feet when Rebecca walked unexpectedly into the room. A muscle twitched at the corner of Rebecca's mouth, but she managed not to smile.

"Status report, Mitchell?" She could see that Mitchell had been working at a computer terminal next to those occupied by Sloan and McBride. It looked like she was updating some kind of data sheet. Clearly, the young officer was a good choice for the post, even though Rebecca doubted that that had been the intention of the Duty Sergeant when he had assigned Mitchell to the task force. Women didn’t get accepted to West Point unless they were tough, sharp and dedicated. Mitchell must have once been among the brightest of the bright, and now some idiot at the 18th was trying to bury her. Nothing of Rebecca’s disgust at that thought showed in her face. “Bring me up to speed.”

"I've been logging in potential online suspects as Mr. McBride has initiated contact, ma'am. It's too early to tell you the specifics such as location or level of activity, but I should be able to begin cross-referencing within a day or two and generate possible lines of follow-up from that."

Rebecca glanced at Sloan, her eyebrow elevating slightly in question. That hadn’t been part of Mitchell’s job description. The kid had initiative as well as brains, apparently.

Sloan nodded, as if reading her thoughts. "Officer Mitchell has been making herself very useful. She’s freed me up to focus on large scale web-hosting sites that seem to have concentrated activities in this area. Anyone receiving live-video feeds will need high-speed access and they're going to be paying hefty user fees. I’m trying to get in the back door by starting with the customer data bases and looking for common user time frames."

"How about grabbing a cup of coffee, Sloan," Rebecca replied, choosing not to comment on Sloan's information until they were alone. You didn't discuss strategy in front of the ranks.

"Sure," Sloan replied. The two of them walked in silence to the conference room where they had first been briefed by Clark, helped themselves to coffee, and settled across from one another at the conference table.

“How close are you to narrowing this search down to real people and not just internet aliases?” Rebecca asked.

“Closer than anyone would have expected a week ago. We caught a break--the FBI has been running a national sting operation over the last eighteen months called Operation Avalanche. They've already identified and collated a tremendous number of potential Internet sites marketing porn, and they've prescreened hundreds of e-mail accounts of users frequenting porn chat rooms aimed at those with a taste for kids. A lot of those names have already been traced and filed geographically.”

"Did Clark get you that information from the FBI?"

"Nope," Sloan answered immediately.

"Are you going to tell him you have it?"

“Nope."

Rebecca sipped her coffee, considering Sloan’s openness in answering questions, her seeming lack of concern about the repercussions of her hacking into Federal law enforcement data bases, and her obvious skill. The woman had all the earmarks of a rogue agent, but Rebecca didn’t think she was. Sloan wasn’t rogue, because rogue agents were always wary and suspicious and afraid of being caught. She was just untouchable. And you only got that way if you’d already had everything done to hurt you that could be done. "What about Mitchell? She's just a rookie, and I don't want her getting in the middle of anything."

"Mitchell may be young, but she's savvy. I'll give her the info when we have some local leads to chase electronically. Everything she touches will be clean and accountable." Sloan eased back in her chair, watching the blond detective astutely. "If you want, I can just give you the bottom line and leave out how we got there, too."

"I don't need your protection, Sloan,” Rebecca replied, her tone oddly mild. “But I appreciate the thought. I prefer to have as much information as possible during an investigation. What I'm curious about is why you are so willing to share."

"I'm willing to share with you, because when the time comes, I figure you're going to be the one standing in front of the door, not Avery Clark. Maybe I'm wrong to trust you, but, then, I don't work for Agent Clark."

"No, you don't. Not anymore."

Sloan's eyes narrowed and her fingers tensed on the coffee cup. "I never worked for Clark."

"But you did work for the Justice Department, didn't you?" Rebecca knew she’d struck gold when the dark haired woman across from her grew tight and still. A second later, she could see Sloan consciously relax each tense muscle in her formidably powerful shoulders. Incredible control. "Does Clark have something on you and McBride?"

"Not a thing," Sloan said amiably. "Believe it or not, I took this job because I thought it was a job worth doing. Believe me, Detective, I don't take any job unless I want to. Not even for the Department of Justice."

“Fair enough," Rebecca said with a nod. "It's been my experience that people who are blackmailed into an assignment aren't very trustworthy. And I like to know if I can trust the people I'm working with."

"I could tell you I'm trustworthy," Sloan said, unveiling her megawatt, devil-may-care grin, "but I don't think that would impress you."

Despite herself, Rebecca grinned back. "I don't impress very easily, Sloan. But if you can come up with someone for me to investigate, I'll be appropriately impressed, I promise. What about McBride? Do you vouch for him, too?"

"Jason is his own man, and if you have any doubts, talk to him yourself."

"But he's your associate."

"And my friend."

Rebecca could easily imagine JT Sloan standing up to the Justice Department, and she had a feeling that Sloan probably had. The computer expert had obviously been valuable to them once, or they wouldn't have come back to her when they needed her services. Rebecca had a feeling that they had come back with apologies in one hand while waving the flag in the other. "I'm working on a few things from my end, but at this point I don't have dick."

Sloan looked surprised at the honest admission, then said good-naturedly, "I'll never tell."

"Thanks," Rebecca said dryly, but she finally smiled. On impulse she added, "Question--if someone pilfered files--stole them--from someone's system, could you figure out who did it?"

"Probably.” Sloan's deep violet eyes sparkled with interest. “Unless they were awfully good at concealing themselves, and most hackers aren't that good."

"Compared to you, you mean."

"Yes, that's exactly what I mean."

"What would you need to do to find them?"

"I'd need the hard drive. Preferably, I'd like to have it here, but I could work on the system in place if I had to."

Rebecca stood and rolled her shoulders, "It would be unofficial, and it would be for free. If you did it, I'd owe you."

"No, you wouldn't. I do it because it's fun."

"If I can't find out any other way, I'll let you know."

Sloan stood with her, and as they walked back towards the work area, she said softly, "Usually people who hack computers aren't very dangerous, but you never know, Frye. You should be careful."

"I'm a cop, Sloan. I don't scare easily."

"I used to be a cop, too. I didn't carry a gun, and maybe I should have."

Rebecca watched her walk away, surprised to discover how much she liked her.

*****

Sandy opened the door and immediately considered slamming it. "I'm working. Go away."

"No, you're not. I've been watching your building for two hours, and I know you don't have anyone up here unless they've paid for the whole night."

"If you keep hanging around me, I'm going to starve to death."

Rebecca lifted the brown paper bag in her hand. "No, you won't. I brought dinner."

Sandy rested her forehead on the edge of the door and cursed colorfully. "Whatever it is you think you do for me, Frye, it is so not enough to make up for all the trouble you could cause me."

"I know," Rebecca replied seriously. "Can I come in?"

"What did you bring?"

"Thai."

"Yeah, I suppose."

Rebecca had never been in Sandy's apartment before, although she had known for months where she lived. She knew almost everything about the people in her territory who were important to her—friends, suspects, and enemies alike. She wouldn't have come to Sandy's if she'd had any other choice, but she had checked all of the normal places for her and had finally given up and staked out her apartment. When the light had come on in the front windows, she'd waited until she was certain that Sandy wasn't with a john, and then she'd come up. She took in the small efficiency in one practiced glance. It was neat, tidy, and tastefully, although economically, decorated. "Nice place," she said, meaning it.

"Thanks," Sandy replied, eying the tall cop suspiciously. "Hey, Frye, has anyone told you lately that you look like crap?"

Rebecca didn't reply, just settled herself on the sofa without being invited and put the bag of carry out on the low, plain pine coffee table in front of her. "Go ahead and eat while we talk."

"You want something?" Sandy asked as she walked into the small, adjoining galley kitchen. "A beer?"

"Water would be fine." Her throat was scratchy and dry, and, briefly, she considered taking off her jacket, then thought better of it. Even though it was warm in the apartment, and she was sweating, she didn't make a habit of flashing her weapon if she could help it.

Sandy returned and set a pile of paper plates, silverware, a bottle of beer, and a glass of water on the table. She opened the bags, checked out the contents of the cardboard cartons, and dished out a generous amount for herself. Gesturing to Rebecca with one of the containers, she asked, "Want some?"

"No, I'm fine."

"Uh huh. Sure," Sandy replied, not bothering to repeat that the cop looked even paler and more drawn then she had the night before. "Rita called me and said you sprung her last night. Thanks."

"You should tell her to be more careful who she pitches her lines to."

"Hey!" Sandy said indignantly. "She swore she never mentioned money to that cop. The guy was cute and he told Rita he'd make it worth her while if she got him off. Doesn't that sound like entrapment to you?"

"It's just her word, Sandy," Rebecca pointed out quietly. The undercover vice cop had reported that the prostitute had solicited him, but Rebecca was inclined to believe Sandy. Nevertheless, a prostitute's word against that of a cop would never hold up in court. She shook her head, not quite certain how she had allowed the topic to stray from what had brought her there. Probably the damn headache that was back again in force. "So, what have you got for me?"

"Not a thing."

"I don't have anywhere to be tonight."

"God, you think because you buy me dinner a couple nights in a row that you own me?"

Rebecca smiled. "Trust me, Sandy. Owning you is the furthest thing from my mind."

Sandy took a pull on her Corona and shifted on the couch until her knees brushed Rebecca's and their eyes met. "I've heard that a couple of the girls have been making extra cash doing films."

"Films?" Rebecca asked with interest.

"Skin flicks."

"Tell me everything you know. Names, dates, places—what do you have?"

"Nothing yet," Sandy said defensively. "Only talk. But I think I can probably find out if you give me a little room here."

"Good," Rebecca said, reaching for the water as she coughed dryly.

"Who knows, maybe I'll get into a new line of work. Do you think I would make it as a porno queen?" She frowned. "Probably my tits are too small...but then I'd fit right in if they're looking for girls."

"Don't even think about it," Rebecca said sharply, ignoring the pain that had started in her chest on the heels of the cough. "All I want is for you to get some information. Do not agree to anything else."

"Well, I could probably get a lot more information if I hired on to do one of the movies," Sandy said musingly. "The talk is they're paying mucho bucks."

"Just call me if you hear anything," Rebecca ordered as she stood, suddenly feeling like she needed some fresh air. "Don't go playing games."

"You know, you are a real pain in... Frye?... Hey!"

Rebecca was aware of Sandy's voice, but she couldn't make out the words over the roaring in her head. She could just barely hear someone saying fuck...it might have been her...she thought she was speaking. Mostly all she wanted to do was get one clean, deep breath and she'd be fine. Man, it hurt to breathe, and it kept on hurting until finally, she just closed her eyes and stopped struggling.

 

chapter nineteen

Catherine knocked sharply on the door to apartment 3 B. Although socioeconomically the residential area immediately surrounding  University City where she lived in a historically renovated Victorian was light years away from the apartments bordering the Tenderloin, they were separated in distance only by the river that bisected the city and twenty city blocks. It had taken her less than six minutes to arrive after she had gotten the phone call. The door opened and a young Annie Lennox look-alike in a tight, midriff baring T-shirt and hip hugger jeans slung so low they barely covered the essentials greeted her with a distinct disregard for social amenities.

"Are you Catherine? Fuck, you better be."

Catherine merely nodded and stepped hurriedly inside. "Where is she?"

"Over there. Goddamned stubborn cop moron."

Sandy jerked her head in the direction of the couch, but she needn't have bothered. Catherine could hear the labored breathing from across the small apartment. Two steps further into the room and she saw Rebecca lying on the sofa, her shoulders propped against the arm with a pillow behind her head. The top three buttons on her shirt were open and her chest heaved spasmodically with each struggling attempt to get air. Sweat poured from her face, and her skin had a faint bluish tint. Catherine's heart seized with fear. God, what was this? Hemorrhage? Embolus? It looked terrifyingly like an MI.

"Call 911."

"No," Rebecca gasped, opening her eyes.

When she turned to Catherine, her eyes were swimming with pain and something else, something Catherine didn't think she had ever seen in them before. Fear.

"See what I mean?" Sandy muttered. "You think I didn't want to? She threatened to shoot the phone if I did. I'm lucky she gave me your number. Fucking rock head."

Catherine knelt by the sofa, noting the remains of a takeout meal and Rebecca's jacket thrown over a nearby chair. Anger was an excellent antidote to fear, but she had time for neither, so she pushed the quick surge of jealousy and confused disappointment aside.  Pulling open a worn satchel that she hadn't used in more than a decade, she extracted a stethoscope, which she swung around her neck with one hand while reaching for a blood pressure cuff with the other. As she wrapped the cuff around Rebecca's arm, she said steadily, "I need to get you to a hospital."

"I... know." Rebecca made an effort to sit up, but any exertion made her lightheaded. "I'll go. Just not...in an...ambulance."

Catherine tried not to think about what might be going inside Rebecca's body as she concentrated on the physical facts. Although her pressure was low, it wasn't critical yet. Slipping her hand under Rebecca's shirt, Catherine moved the stethoscope back and forth over her chest. Frowning, she listened for a few seconds to the right and then the left, then she glanced quickly at the distended veins in Rebecca's neck. "Your left lung is collapsed. We need to get you out of here." Looking over her shoulder, she said again, forcefully, "Call 911."

"Uh, it will probably take them a few minutes to get here. This area doesn't get the fastest service. Maybe it would be quicker if you drove her?" Sandy stood close behind Catherine's shoulder, watching Rebecca's face. "She didn't look this bad when I called you."

Listening to Rebecca fight for air, Catherine had to agree. "Can you stand?" she asked, pulling the blood pressure monitor from the detective's arm and stuffing it into her bag. "We'll help you."

"Yes."

Sandy and Catherine steadied Rebecca from either side with an arm around her waist and half-carried her down the three flights of stairs to Catherine's car, which she had left in front of a hydrant a few doors down from the once elegant brownstone that now had been subdivided into apartments. By the time they got her into the front seat, and Catherine had fumbled the seat belt around her, she was barely conscious and her stridor had worsened.

"Rebecca," Catherine said sharply, grasping her chin, turning her lover's face up toward her. "Rebecca, don't struggle. Breathe as slowly as you can. Do you understand?"

She couldn't get enough air to speak, but she nodded.

Sandy bent down and whispered something to Rebecca that Catherine couldn't hear as she ran around the front of the car to the driver's side. She had the key in the ignition before she was completely settled behind the wheel, and she careened away from the curb without even a backward glance at the young woman who stood on the sidewalk watching the taillights disappear into the dark.

Thankfully, at that time of night there was almost no traffic in University City. Within a matter of minutes, she was screeching to a halt outside the emergency room at University Hospital. She ran through the double doors into the harshly lit admitting area and shouted, "I'm Dr. Catherine Rawlings. I have a critically ill patient in my car. Someone bring a gurney."

*****

Catherine glanced at the clock in the small doctor's lounge adjacent to the emergency room. Midnight. The waiting created a painful sense of déjà vu, and as the minutes dragged on, it was harder and harder for her not to think about the night that Raymond Blake had taken her and nearly taken Rebecca's life. Forcing her thoughts from that horror, she reminded herself that Rebecca was not dying, not tonight. But being separated from her, not knowing precisely what was happening, frayed the last remnants of her nerves, and she was losing the battle to stay calm. She had too many recollections, some of them too terrifying to erase even from her dreams. Now she had another unwelcome memory--the image of Rebecca suffering, struggling in agony for each insufficient breath. It was tearing her apart.

"Catherine?"

She spun around, grateful for the sound of another human voice to distract her from her pain.

"Jim! How is she?"

"She's stable..."

"Where is she? Can I see her? What--"

The emergency room physician smiled, raising a hand to stem the flow of words. "In a minute. She's on her way back from CAT scan."

"How serious is it?" Catherine managed to ask in a more controlled fashion. The panic that had simmered just beneath the surface of her soul was beginning to abate.

"Well," the treating physician replied, motioning to a chair beside him as he sank heavily into a seat at the small table. "If you were looking for a new job, I'm fairly certain we can find you one down here. Your exam on the scene saved us a lot of time, and her a lot of pain. She had a pneumothorax, just as you suspected. Probably an area of scar tissue had adhered to the inner surface of one of her ribs, and it tore lose tonight, collapsing her lung."

"Are they going to need to operate?" These things happened; she knew that as well as anyone. Then why did she feel like screaming?

"A little too soon to tell." He gave her a satisfied smile. "I put a needle in, aspirated the air, and the lung came back up. The CAT scan looks good right now. We'll have to see if the lung stays up or not."

"Thank you, Jim."

"Don't mention it. She should be back by now. Cubicle seven."

She murmured her thanks once again and hurried away. To her great relief, when she opened the door to the small private treatment room, she found Rebecca sitting up on a stretcher, looking drawn but breathing easily. The relief was so intense, for a second she feared she might cry.

"How do you feel?" Catherine managed, struggling to keep her voice from quivering. Something of her fragile emotional state must have shown in her face, because Rebecca's welcoming smile immediately turned to a look of concern.

"I'm okay." Reaching out a hand, the one that was not tethered to an intravenous line, she drew Catherine closer. "If I understood what he was telling me, it was a fluke--a little bit of scar tissue acting up. Not a big deal."

Catherine was tired. Tired and still reeling from worry and her own terrifying memories. If she hadn't been so shaken, she probably would have been more circumspect, but she just didn't have enough strength to control her response. "Rebecca, you could have died. If you weren't as physically fit as you are, you probably would have. It could happen again--in fact it often does. This was a warning, and you were lucky that your young friend was quick-witted enough to realize how ill you were."

"She's not a friend. She's a source."

"What she may be to you, I don't know," she said more sharply than she intended. "But she's fond of you, I'll tell you that."

Rebecca had never seen Catherine quite like this before. When she had first walked into the room, it'd looked like she was going to break down. That in itself was frightening, because during all the long weeks of Rebecca's convalescence, Catherine had been nothing but upbeat and positive. If she had cried, she had done it alone. And then tonight, anger had followed so closely on the heels of her concern that Rebecca was stunned. The problem was, she wasn't quite certain what Catherine was angry about. It seemed as if Sandy was part of it, but that didn't make any sense--Catherine didn't know anything about Sandy.

"Sandy is an informant," Rebecca began carefully. "I was working—"

"You're not required to explain," Catherine interrupted, angry at herself for even bringing the girl up. She had no idea why she had. Except there had been something strangely intimate about the entire setting—the small cozy apartment, the takeout dinner, and the way the young woman had berated Rebecca with unmistakable tenderness in her voice. You have another life that I know nothing about. A life that might mean more to you than anything we could share.

"I'm sorry that you had to go through this," Rebecca said, lifting Catherine's hand and placing a kiss against the fingers she cradled in her own. "I'm sorry I had to drag you into it at all, but I didn't want an official report--any kind of record--tying Sandy to me."

"Why?"

She hesitated only a second. "Because officially Sandy and I don't have a relationship. It's safer for her that way."

"I'm surprised you didn't call Watts instead of me," Catherine said, and there was pain in that knowledge. "Would you have called me if I hadn't been a doctor?"

She hesitated longer this time. "I don't know."

"Would you even have told me?"

The silence between them grew so loud that Catherine slipped your fingers out of Rebecca's hand and moved a little away from the stretcher. "Rebecca?"

"I don't know. I would have told you--something. Maybe not all of it."

"Why not?" Her anger was gone, replaced by an honest desire to know, and by incredible sadness. How could they feel so much, and share so little?

"Because I don't want you to worry. I don't want you to hate what I do," she admitted. The foot of space between them felt like a hundred miles, and it hurt so much more now than she had hurt an hour ago. She was doing this all wrong, but she couldn't think of the right way to do it. Desperately, she whispered, "Because I don't know what else to do."

"Jim says your CAT scan looked good," Catherine said quietly. "It might be a while before they move you upstairs to a bed--you should try to rest. I'll come by tomorrow to see how you're doing."

"Okay." She swallowed, a sinking feeling in her stomach. It was all coming apart.

Catherine turned to leave, then looked back over her shoulder. "Is there anyone you want me to call? Watts?"

"No. I'll call him."

"Sandy?"

"No. Catherine—"

"Get some sleep," she said softly as she closed the door behind her.

 

chapter twenty

"What do you mean you don't have any record of her?" Catherine asked in the general direction of the hands-free microphone that was clipped to the visor above the steering wheel while she attempted to maneuver through early rush-hour traffic. "She should have been admitted last night--sometime after midnight. Are you spelling the last name right? That's Frye—with an e on the end."

She listened for a few seconds, eyes searching the street for a parking place on the block with the address she had been given. Pulling to the curb, she said with uncharacteristic irritation, "Never mind. I don't have time to wait. I'll call back later."

She clicked off the cell phone, cut the ignition, and sat for a few seconds behind the wheel, waiting for the last remnants of frustration to ebb. I should have stayed at the hospital last night. It was ridiculous to think I could do this now, not knowing how she is. If I were a patient, I'd say this is a very good example of self-delusion resulting from lousy conflict management and unresolved anger.

"Well, thank you. That's helpful," she said out loud in disgust. Glancing at her watch, she saw that she had five minutes to find the building. "And now you can just do what you came here to do."

She locked the car and started north on Front Street, checking the building numbers as she walked. Fortunately, she had guessed right and had started searching in the appropriate direction. In less than a minute she was standing on the steps of a four story warehouse fumbling in her briefcase for her wallet and a photo ID. After the disembodied voice instructed her to enter and an electronic lock clicked open, she stepped through into the cavernous ground floor and proceeded toward the elevator as she had been directed. As curious as she was about the place, her mind was only half on her surroundings. She had spent another restless night, finding it difficult to fall asleep after the adrenaline surge of emotions that had started when she had first gotten the call from Sandy and which hadn't begun to abate until she had seen that Rebecca was stable. It had been excruciatingly hard to leave her, but the evening had brought up so many conflicting feelings that she doubted either of them were equipped to deal with the aftermath in the middle of the night. Nevertheless, when she had finally slid naked beneath the sheets, she had ached for her, body and soul.

The elevator stopped smoothly and opened with no more than a whisper, whereupon she found herself looking out into an enormous room filled with electronic equipment. It was time to set her personal life aside, and do her job. Stepping out into the hall that ran along one side of the building opposite the warren of computer stations, she glanced right and left looking for someone who might know where the meeting was. Almost immediately, she saw a woman in jeans and an open-collared navy shirt approaching. At first glance, the startlingly attractive woman didn't strike Catherine as being a law-enforcement officer of any type. Even discounting her decidedly informal appearance, she moved with a kind of casual confidence that suggested she rarely worried about protocol. There was none of the tight focus that Rebecca displayed when she was working or the self-important attitude of the typical bureaucrat. If she were asked to guess, Catherine would say this was the private consultant.

"Good morning," Catherine said as the woman drew near. "I'm Doctor Catherine Rawlings."

"J. T. Sloan, Doctor." Sloan extended her hand to the elegant, auburn-haired woman and added, "We were just gathering in the conference room. I'll take you down."

"Thank you."

As they walked, Sloan explained, "Unfortunately, the full team isn't here at the moment, but I know your schedule is very tight so we'll go with what we have and I'll fill in the others later."

Much later, Catherine thought to herself, but she merely nodded. She wondered, not for the first time that morning, if Rebecca would be pulled from the case. At this point it should be evident to everyone at police headquarters that she wasn't ready to go back to work. In some ways, it was fortunate that the episode had occurred when it did. If it had happened when Rebecca was in the middle of an altercation, or even if she had just been out on the street alone, the outcome could have been disastrous. At any rate, she was out of danger for the moment and Catherine gratefully cleared her mind to focus on the job at hand. As she followed Sloan into a glass enclosed conference room, several people stood and turned in her direction. One of them she already knew.

"Doctor Rawlings,” Sloan began, “this is my associate Jason McBride, Agent Clark--there at the end of the table, and Officer Mitchell, who is with the Philadelphia Police Department."

Catherine shook each individual's hand in turn, saying merely, "Officer Mitchell," in a neutral tone when she got to her. It wasn't uncommon for her to run into patients in social or professional settings, and although she tried to anticipate when that might happen and discuss with the patient their feelings about it, it wasn't always possible to do that. She had known Mitchell was involved in a task force that might have been this one, but she hadn't really expected her to be at the briefing. As was usual when something like this happened, it was something they would have to deal with later.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice, Doctor," Clark said with an appreciative smile. Looking pointedly at Sloan, he added, "Our investigation is moving a little faster than we had anticipated. Since I know that time is short, and I expect that what Sloan and McBride have to discuss will be of most use to you, let me say a few brief words and then turn it over to them."

Catherine listened while he gave her a capsule summary of the task force's purpose and some background on the results of similar operations across the nation, but she was watching the people at the table, trying to get a sense of how the individuals fit into the team. Clark, the federal representative, alone at one end of the table and the first to speak, was the titular head, but she had the feeling that Sloan, an arm draped over the back of her chair in an utterly relaxed pose, was the real leader. The woman projected an incredible sense of self-assurance and as she toyed with a pencil, her eyes fixed on a spot in the center of the table, she reminded Catherine of a great, sleek predator fixing on its prey. Her associate, the remarkably handsome man by her side, was completely expressionless, but his eyes glinted with intelligence. Mitchell sat stiffly to her right, and Catherine wasn't certain if that was due to her presence or just the young officer's natural intensity.  Were Rebecca present, Catherine knew, she'd be sitting across from Sloan, the two of them perfectly matched in skill and drive. Rebecca, relentlessly single-minded when in pursuit of a suspect, was every bit the hunter Sloan appeared to be. The thought of Rebecca brought a swift surge of longing, and Catherine brought her complete attention back to Clark.

He was saying, "We have some information pertaining to perpetrator profiles that have been generated by other investigations. What we need, Doctor—actually, what Sloan and McBride need—is a way to flag the contacts with the most potential to lead us into a real life meeting. Any guidance you can provide would be welcome."

"Before we get into specifics," Catherine said, turning her attention to Sloan and her colleague, "I had planned to review a few broad characteristics of the subjects. That may be redundant, however, if you are all familiar with them."

"It wouldn't be for me, ma'am," Mitchell said from beside Catherine, meeting her gaze unwaveringly when Catherine glanced at her.

"I agree, Doctor," Sloan added, wanting to hear what the psychiatrist had to say. She'd had enough experience with Bureau profilers to know that they were often too rigid with their composites to be of any real use in dealing with individuals. In all fairness, that probably resulted from the necessity of using probability models, but maybe a clinician who had real life experience would have a different take. From the brief rundown Clark had given her, this woman was supposed to be an excellent forensic consultant, even though it wasn't her primary specialty.

"Let me tell you where we stand. Thus far Jason has focused on establishing an Internet presence by adapting various persona that might be attractive to someone who is interested in preteens or adolescents. I've has been trying to localize areas of concentrated activity by targeting intersecting or overlapping patterns of transmission, site traffic, and financial expenditures. The theory being that eventually these two lists can be cross-referenced using additional identifiers to produce a manageable number of individuals for actual investigation. Jason and I are close to narrowing down the search, and while we started with a broad net, we've found ourselves with more potential avenues of pursuit than we could possibly explore. Very shortly, we're going to be in one-on-one situations and there's a real likelihood of scaring these guys away if we go about it incorrectly."

Smiling, Catherine replied, "All right then. I'll hit the highlights and then you tell me what else you need from me."

"Excellent," Sloan replied, liking the psychiatrist's composed, noncompetitive attitude. There was no evidence of the turf struggles she'd been used to within the agency when different departments collaborated. And there was a sincerity in the woman's calm, ocean green eyes that instilled trust. Sloan caught herself short and almost grinned at her uncharacteristic reaction. She bet Catherine Rawlings was one hell of a psychiatrist. "Fire away, Doctor."

"What we're talking about here is typology," Catherine began, "profiling if you will. Despite popular conceptions, I'm sure all of you realize that this is not hard science. We can make general assumptions, but there are always exceptions, and it pays to be flexible when assessing prospective perpetrators."

Mitchell, Catherine noticed, was taking notes. "Pedophiles are almost always men, and may be heterosexual or homosexual. It's difficult to determine the percentages, because so many instances are never reported. I assume this will have some bearing on how you focus your Internet search, and since I don't know your starting point, my best advice would be to know the victims and begin there."

"As far as we can ascertain," Sloan said carefully, "the video productions we're interested in tracking are primarily adult men depicted with adolescent girls. We have Jason trying to make contact both as a young girl and as an adult male."

"Sounds reasonable," Catherine responded. "The Internet provides a sense of anonymity, thus making many individuals more comfortable in revealing socially unacceptable preferences that they might otherwise keep hidden for fear of exposure and reprisal. On the other hand, that may make it easier for you to pick up on the truly serious pedophiles because they will have a false sense of security—believing that the Internet provides a blind behind which they can hide."

"I'm sorry?" Mitchell asked abruptly. "Serious pedophiles as opposed to what?"

"Sorry. Poor choice of words. What we know is that a large percentage of individuals are content with graphic material and have no interest in instituting true sexual contact. They will most likely never act on their fantasies."

"Collectors," Jason clarified. "The bulletin boards and newsgroups are filled with people who just want to trade image files. They look but don’t tough. Then there are the chatters, the ones who probably never take their interest behind the keyboard."

"Precisely," Catherine agreed. "These men rarely show any interest in exchanging files, but do spend hours online engaging in cybersex and occasionally escalating to phone sex. Both groups are on the bottom rung of the probability ladder in terms of likelihood of sexual contact. Because the problem is so widespread, both geographically and in terms of numbers, it makes sense to focus on the theoretically more dangerous class of perpetrators. These would be the travelers—men who manipulate online relationships with children in an attempt to institute real-life contact. They often set up meetings, paying for bus fare or plane tickets or hotel rooms in advance, and then coaxing kids into joining them."

“How do we sort them out—or get them to expose themselves,” Sloan asked, ignoring Jason’s pointed groan at her unintended pun.

"If you were to ask me how to target an individual type--men you could actually track down and ultimately arrest,” Catherine said by way of summary, “I’d say you need to bond with them, instill trust. And the fastest way to do that is to express the behaviors that you expect them to display. Instead of trying to make direct contact, which might seem suspicious, let them see you doing what they do—talk about the same kind of lust object, vocalize a desire for obtaining images, or boast about a fabricated conquest. They’ll come to you eventually, because they are seeking validation through others like themselves.”

"Perfect," Sloan said, giving Catherine an appreciative glance. Yeah, she's good all right. "Jason? Any thoughts?"

He looked pensive. "I can focus more on my interactions in the chat rooms and try to attract some attention."

"Mitchell?" Sloan added. "We can use one of the computer models to screen the chat transcripts for identifiers."

Mitchell's face lit up. "Absolutely."

Catherine turned to Avery Clark. "It seems to me that your team already has the plan well in hand. I'm not certain how I can help you."

"I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on that, too," a voice said from the doorway.

Everyone in the room turned as Rebecca and Watts walked in.

chapter twentyone

"Sorry we’re late," Rebecca said, carefully avoiding Catherine's eyes. "Traffic." She and Watts took seats at the table while everyone murmured greetings.

Clark said, "Dr. Rawlings, this is Detective Sergeant..."

"We've met, thank you." Catherine stared at Rebecca, her initial disbelief having given way to something between incredulity and outrage. The detective was wearing the same clothes that Catherine had last seen her in, and it was obvious that she had come directly from the hospital. From the nearly translucent pallor of her skin and the hollow shadows beneath her eyes, it looked like that's precisely where she still should be—in a hospital bed.

Sloan watched the two of them curiously, aware that the temperature in the room had plummeted to below freezing, but she wasn't quite certain the cause. Frye had taken a seat across from her to the left of Rawlings, and after a brief nod to the psychiatrist, the detective stared pointedly ahead. Still, Sloan could have sworn the air between them vibrated, rather like the tremor in the tracks when a freight train approached. Something very volatile going on there—professional differences, maybe? Cops rarely take to theoreticians.

Then, Sloan smiled inwardly, thinking of her own theoretician and how very quickly and inextricably she had taken to her. Thinking about Michael in the middle of a meeting was a bad idea, because Michael, in body or spirit, was the only thing she had ever encountered that could distract her. And she couldn't afford to be distracted--not with Clark already hinting that he'd picked up on how quickly she and Jason had developed a working list of suspects. She wanted to end the briefing as quickly as possible, before Clark could push her for the specifics of their investigation or ask just how they had managed to assemble a preliminary list of potentials in record time. Clearing her throat, she said into the obvious silence, "We have transcripts of dozens of online chats between Jason and personalities who thought he was a 13-year-old girl. We also have a number of hits from men in a private bulletin board who have made overt or veiled allusions to movie distribution. It would be great to nail them—all of them—but what we really want are the manufacturers. Those are the guys who have set up their computers as FTP servers and are broadcasting to a select group of subscribers. With a videocam hook up, they can produce live feeds of child sex. And they have the kids."

"Locations?" Rebecca asked sharply. She needed a lead to chase, a case to work--something to take her mind off the hollow feeling in her chest that hurt every time she breathed. The pain had built all night in that empty place where Catherine had once dwelled, until finally she hadn't been able to stand it any longer and she'd called Watts. Catherine sat next to her now, and she felt like they were strangers. The loneliness had been so much easier to bear before. Before she had known what it was to be touched. "Anything solid?" she asked, hoping she didn't sound as desperate as she felt.  

"Nothing specific, not yet," Sloan admitted. "But we're pretty sure they’re regional, if not local." She glanced at Catherine. "It would be very helpful if you could go through these with us, and give us your take on the most likely possibles, and perhaps lend some insight as to how Jason can more effectively manipulate them into committing themselves."

"And then?" Catherine asked with genuine interest, even as she listened with relief to the sound of Rebecca breathing beside her. Respirations steady, unlabored. Stable. For now.

Sloan grinned, a happy, hungry grin. "As soon as we narrow it down to a manageable number, I can launch digger programs which will follow the sender back to his ISP address, among other things. Then we'll cross-reference to the credit card clearing houses, track the business sources. Get us some names."

"Yeah, and once you get us a name, we can start knocking on doors," Watts said with evident satisfaction. "Real police work."

Sloan managed not to snarl.

"Anything from your street sources, Detective?" Clark asked, looking at Rebecca.

"Not yet." She had no intention of sharing anything with Clark at this point, and she certainly didn't want to discuss the details of the case with Catherine in the room. Jesus, everyone was acting like Catherine was an official part of the team.

"My schedule is pretty full," Catherine stated, "but I should be able to spare an hour or two in the evenings--or even during the day if you absolutely need me."

Avery Clark stood, signaling the end of the meeting. "We'll try to give you as much advance notice as we can, Doctor. Any time you can spare would be greatly appreciated. I'll leave the details to you and Sloan to work out."

"Certainly," Catherine replied, standing as well and gathering her things.

"Sloan, may I see you outside?" Clark murmured softly as he passed behind her.

"Sure." Sloan responded, rising and following.

Jason and Mitchell left as well, leaving Catherine staring at Rebecca while Watts fidgeted in the doorway, looking as if he wasn't certain whether to go or stay.

"What in God's name are you doing here?" Catherine demanded.

"I knew the meeting wouldn't be long. I wanted to make it."

"How did you get discharged so quickly?"

Rebecca held Catherine's gaze. "I was never admitted."

“Jim would never have released you, not in the shape you were in last night. You signed out AMA, didn’t you?” she accused furiously. She wanted to touch her. It felt like days since she had. But she was so angry, the last thing she wanted was contact. Her mind was reeling from the barrage of dissident emotions.

“Not exactly against medical advice. We made a deal.” She said it reasonably, trying to sound confident, but Catherine's fury was so potent it was like a blow. Her hands trembled and she stuffed them in her pockets.

“Doctors don’t make deals,” the psychiatrist snapped.

“All right,” Rebecca admitted. “But I agreed to go back for a chest xRay this morning.”

“And if your lung drops right now?”

“He left a catheter in my chest. In an emergency, he said I’d be able to aspirate the air out. That I'd have plenty of time to get back to the emergency room.”

Catherine slammed both palms down on the tabletop and leaned forward, her eyes blazing. "What is the matter with you? Don't you know you almost died last night? What could be so important about this meeting?"

"It's not the meeting," Rebecca said quietly, but the fear was thundering through her now. She had to stay calm. If she explained it clearly, Catherine would have to understand. "If I let them admit me, if I didn't show up here--if I can’t work--they won't just take me off the case. They'll put me on medical disability. I won't even have light-duty."

"You shouldn't have any kind of duty! You should be home or in the hospital." Catherine whirled in Watts’ direction so quickly that he jumped. "Did you have a hand in this? After all the nights we sat by her bedside, waiting for her to live or die? After that, you could help her do this?" She ran a hand over her eyes and then slowly turned from one to the other. In a voice that was deadly calm, she said, "I do not understand what is important to you. All I know is that whatever it is, it's more important to you than your life. And I can't live with knowing that."

For a moment, it seemed as if no one even breathed. Then, Catherine quietly lifted her briefcase and walked from the room.

*****

Rebecca stood rigidly, the fingertips of her right hand pressed against the granite table top, white to the bone. She hadn't realized that her eyes were closed until they snapped open at the sound of Watts' voice. She blinked in the bright sunlight coming through the windows.

"Sarge?"

"I want to talk to Mitchell and you—alone. We need to assess where we are in this case. Five minutes, in our conference room."

"She's just steamed, Sarge. She'll get over it."

No, she won't. Christ, what do I do now?

"You just gotta give her ti—"

"Let it go, Watts."

"Yeah, but—"

"Goddamn it," she shouted, her fist connecting with stone as she pounded her hand onto the table. "Go find Mitchell and shut the—"

She started to cough and he thought his heart would stop. "Oh, fuck. Are you—"

"I'm fine," she snapped, waving a hand as she caught her breath. "Just do it."

"Right. Just do me a fucking favor and go sit down until we get there." He didn't wait for an answer, but went to find the rookie. They couldn't get back to the hospital soon enough to suit him.

*****

Sloan looked up as Watts charged by and then caught sight of Frye still in the conference room. She walked back in, poured a cup of coffee, and leaned against the counter, observing the detective, who seemed a little unsteady on her feet.

"You all right?"

Rebecca stared at her. "Yeah."

Sloan sipped her coffee. "We're making progress."

"Good," the detective sighed, giving in and sitting down. She rubbed her eyes, then blew out a breath. Just work the case, Frye. That's what you do. That's what you know. "Because I'm not. We had a couple of names from the previous kiddie prostitution bust, but we haven't been able to turn up anything. I've got a few feelers out, but so far, nada. There's a rumor of somebody making movies, but so far that's weak. If I get lucky, someone will point us toward that."

"It's early, on a case like this," Sloan observed mildly, wondering how out of line it would be to ask Frye what the hell was going on. The cop didn't exactly make it easy to get friendly, but she looked like she was hurting. And not just physically.

"Is Clark on to your FBI hack?" Rebecca asked suddenly.

"You're sharp, Frye," Sloan said with an appreciative laugh. "You were here, what? Five minutes? And you picked up on a certain tension between us?"

"I've met the type." Rebecca shrugged and grinned weakly. "When someone says outside the way Clark said it, it usually implies they have a burr up their ass."

"He suspects we might have used unorthodox methods to acquire some of our information, but he didn't want specifics."

"They never do," Rebecca observed wearily. "Too accountable then."

"Yeah. Mostly he wanted to be certain that I understood that I was on my own."

"Why are you doing this, Sloan? You could be making a lot more money doing something with a lot less potential to fuck you over."

Sloan walked to the sink and poured out the last of her coffee, surprised at the question. When she turned around, she said quietly, all hint of her usual cockiness gone. "Maybe I wanted them to see what they lost."

Rebecca rose, more surprised at herself for asking than she was by Sloan's answer. "That's a fairly fucked up reason."

"Yeah," Sloan admitted, feeling an odd sense of relief.

"But I understand," Rebecca added as she headed out the door. "Keep me up to speed, Sloan."

"Right," Sloan called after her. She hesitated for a second, then walked to the wall phone and dialed a number. After a second, she smiled and said, "Hey. Any chance you could meet me for lunch?...No special reason. I just love you."

CHAPTER TWENTYTWO

Hazel Holcomb reached for the phone, pushing aside a pile of administrative bulletins as she did. "Yes?"

"Catherine Rawlings is on line two," her secretary informed her.

"I'll take it." She pressed the other line and said, "Catherine? What can I do for you?"

"Can you see me this morning?"

"Just a minute," Hazel replied, instantly alert to the flat tone of her friend's voice. She rummaged under a stack of file folders and found her weekly schedule. "I have forty-five minutes open now. If it's urgent, I could cancel a meeting later this morning."

"No—I'll come right over. I have clinic in an hour, too. That's perfect. Thank you."

Hazel buzzed her secretary and instructed, "Send Doctor Rawlings in when she arrives, and then hold my calls."

Five minutes later, a knock on the door heralded Catherine's arrival.

"I'm sorry to barge in like this," Catherine began as she took one of the upholstered chairs in front of Hazel's desk.

"It's fine," the Chief of Psychiatry assured her colleague as she moved around to join her in the other chair. "What's happened?"

"Is it that obvious?" Catherine asked ruefully, folding her hands in her lap to hide the trembling. "God, I'm embarrassed."

"Catherine, nothing is obvious unless one knows you. You wouldn't have called if it weren't important, and you wouldn't have that very wounded expression in your eyes if it weren't personal. So—something has happened."

"I think Rebecca and I just—I don't even know what to call it. Broke up?"

"Well," Hazel said gently, a small smile on her face. "We can start with that. What prompted this—event?"

"I'm not sure," Catherine admitted. "That's why I'm here."

"Ah, I see. Good point—spoken like a true psychiatrist. Let's hear the details, then we'll plumb for all the deeper, hidden meanings."

Catherine managed a faint laugh. "Do you talk to all your patients like this? It's very irreverent. Freud is cringing somewhere in another dimension."

"You're not a patient. You're a friend," Hazel replied softly, placing her hand briefly on Catherine's arm. "So, tell me."

Catherine closed her eyes for a few seconds, then opened them and said, "I got a call from a woman last night whom I'd never met, telling me that Rebecca had collapsed in her apartment and that she needed my help." 

Hazel listened, her expression intent, as Catherine described the previous night and morning's events. When her friend fell silent, she remarked, "I'm afraid I have to ask—how do you feel right now?"

"Terribly angry at her, and just—empty." Catherine met Hazel's eyes, tears swimming behind her lashes. "It's tearing me apart that she would risk her life like this, and that she doesn't realize what that does to me."

"Yes, I can see how much it hurts. I'm sorry."

"I thought about calling her Captain, telling him what happened."

"Why didn't you?"

"Because," Catherine replied with a sigh, "it would be divulging patient confidences—"

"You're not her doctor," Hazel pointed out.

"No, but I have privileged knowledge that I wouldn't otherwise have had."

Hazel made a dismissive gesture. "A technicality at best."

"All right," Catherine conceded. "Because she'd never forgive me."

"She's hurt you." Hazel's tone suggested that turn-about was fair play.

"She's hurt me because she's stubborn and careless with herself, but this would be such a betrayal."

"And what she's done--isn't that a betrayal? Of the connection between you? Of your love for one another?"

Catherine regarded her sharply. "It's only a betrayal if you know what you’re doing--if it's a conscious act. She didn't intend to hurt me, she's just doing what's she's always done."

"But things are not the same any longer—for either of you," Hazel pointed out reasonably.

"No," Catherine said quietly. "Everything is different." She looked at Hazel in frustration. "What a mess. I keep thinking that I should be better at this."

Hazel laughed. "Why? Love is messy. Relationships are horrible, unpredictable things." Suddenly serious, she asked, "What do you intend to do?"

"I don't know. I can't be with her like this; I can't watch her kill herself."

"You know, Catherine, I don't know this detective of yours, although I'd certainly like to. She sounds fascinating, especially if you don't happen to be in love with her. But I know that she almost died two months ago. That's a terrifying occurrence. For someone like her, the best defense against that fear is to—"

"Deny it ever happened." Catherine sighed. "Yes, I know. Like the business executive who has an MI, and insists on taking phone calls in the cardiac care unit. I know. It doesn't help." She rubbed her eyes, glanced at her watch. "I have to work, and so do you."

"Don't make any decisions today, or even tomorrow. It's already too late to break up. You love her, remember."

"Yes, I do," Catherine said, wondering if that would be enough.

*****

Catherine contemplated canceling her last patient of the day. It was almost eight; she was tired. Beyond tired. Bone weary and just plain—sad.

"It's going to be a tough session and you want to avoid it. Because she's going to walk in here, all spit and polish, and very possibly pissed off. And she reminds you of Rebecca." She rubbed her temples. "And you've started talking to yourself, which can't be good."

Joyce knocked on the door and stuck her head in. "You've got five minutes. Want anything?"

"Yes," Catherine replied, "when she gets here, tell her I need to resche--"

"What?"

"Nothing. A coke if you're getting one."

"Will do."

A few minutes later, the door opened again to admit Dellon Mitchell.

"Hi," Catherine said as Mitchell settled into the chair. She wasn't in uniform, but she wore her chinos and shirt as if it were one. Neat, tidy, precise.

"Hi."

Catherine waited a beat, and when nothing else appeared to be forthcoming, she said, "Let's talk about this morning."

"All right," Mitchell replied neutrally, but her eyes were wary.

"Sometimes it can be awkward or uncomfortable when you run into your therapist unexpectedly. Was it a problem—my being there?"

Mitchell regarded her steadily. "What we talk about in here—it's confidential, right?"

"Usually, yes," Catherine answered. Mitchell stiffened, and she added quickly, "Officer, you were referred for an official evaluation. I still have to do that. I don't include information that isn't relevant to my opinions, and I very rarely include specific details of what we've discussed."

"But you wouldn't..." She searched for words. "You're going to be working with the people I work with. There are things...private things...I don't want anyone to know."

"They won't learn them from me," Catherine said quietly. "First of all, it's my business to keep confidences. Secondly, I'll be there for professional purposes, and on a fairly limited basis. There is absolutely no reason anyone should know that you and I have a professional relationship."

"Fine."

"Good." The officer crossed one ankle over her knee, and sat back a little into her chair, a pose Catherine was coming to recognize as relaxed. For Mitchell. "Now, let's talk about the incident in the alley."

"I knew her."

Catherine had many years of therapeutic experience, and she was glad of that now. Because she wanted to blurt out, What? Slowly, carefully, she asked, "The young woman who was being attacked?"

"Yes."

"When did you realize that you knew her?"

"When he let her go. She fell...I saw her face in the light from the window."

There was sweat on her forehead that Catherine was certain that she didn't know was there. Her right hand trembled where it rested on the chair arm.

"What happened when you recognized her?"

She was quiet a long time. Then, her voice hoarse, she replied, "I hesitated. I thought maybe I had imagined it. That's when he hit me, knocked me down." She looked at Catherine, stricken. "There was so much blood on her face, I was frozen...I thought she...Jesus, there was so much blood."

Catherine's stomach lurched. So much blood. She took a long, slow breath. "How well do you know her?"

"She's just someone I met...on the job."

"More than a passing acquaintance?" Catherine probed softly. "A friend?"

Another pause. "Yes."

"You told me you don't remember hitting him with your gun."

"I don't." For the first time, the young woman looked scared.

"What do you remember?"

Mitchell ran a hand through her hair. "I remember...I remember her face. I was so fucking angry. The bastard had his hands up her...and then I was on the ground...and she was screaming at him. Screaming not to hurt me..." She stopped and stared at Catherine. "Oh, fuck. I was on the ground, and he kicked me. My head...my side...it hurt. And I could hear her screaming at him...he hit her again, I think. I was afraid he'd kill her."

"Do you remember striking him with your gun?"

"I don't," Mitchell shouted. She covered her face with both hands, shoulders heaving. "I don't."

"It's okay," Catherine said gently. "It's okay."

She finally looked up, her face streaked with tears. "It isn't really, is it?"

"Oh, yes, it is," Catherine replied firmly, sitting forward, hands clasped on the desk. "You were alone, in a dangerous situation. There was the threat of deadly injury to yourself or a civilian. Suddenly, unexpectedly, the situation is personalized—this is someone you know, care about. And you were both in peril. You had a gun, Officer Mitchell...and you were facing a bigger, stronger opponent who had already hurt you. You protected yourself, instinctively, but you didn't shoot him." Catherine paused, making certain that Mitchell was listening. "You didn't shoot him. And you could have. You did well, Officer."

Mitchell grinned weakly, brushing impatiently at the moisture on her cheeks. "Would you mind putting that in your report?"

"I most definitely will," Catherine replied, smiling. "In my opinion you acted appropriately under the given circumstances."

"There's a problem."

"What?"

"The part about me knowing her? It's not in my report."

"Why not?"

"Because that's nobody's business. It doesn't have any bearing on the events. I reported it exactly as it occurred."

Catherine considered the information. "I can't see that it affects the legalities involved, but," she continued as she saw Mitchell give a sigh of relief, "it is germane to the effect this has had on you."

"I'm okay."

"Yes, in all probability you are," Catherine answered wearily, suddenly aware of her own fatigue. "I'll take care of the report to your precinct, Officer."

Mitchell was quiet for a long moment. "Would you mind—uh, holding off for a little while. You said it might take five or six visits, right?"

"Do you mind telling me what brought about this sudden change of heart?"

"I don't want to get pulled off the task force."

 The task force. And here I thought it was my stellar therapy techniques. "I think the situation reasonably warrants another visit or two. But then I'll have to file the report."

"Fair enough. Thank you." Mitchell stood, a smile to match the one she'd had when Sloan included her in the plans that morning. "Thanks a lot."

As the door shut behind the young officer, Catherine leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes.

*****

Rebecca rolled over and opened her eyes. She lifted her wrist and squinted at the dim dial of her watch. Nine p.m. She'd been asleep for eleven hours. She was wearing loose cotton workout shorts and nothing else. Her body was covered with a thin film of sweat, and when she brushed her palm over her chest and down her abdomen, her hand came away wet.

Nine p.m. Plenty of time to get some work done. She got up from the bed, stiff muscles protesting, and made her way into the bathroom to shower.

 

chapter twentythree

Catherine answered the door and stared wordlessly at the woman on her porch. Finally she said, "Hi."

"Hi." Rebecca lifted the pizza box with two video tapes resting on its top. "Dinner and a movie?"

"We have a lot to talk about, you know," Catherine answered, leaning with a shoulder against the partially open door. Behind her the soft strains of jazz played in the dimly lit living room.

"I know. Would you rather I..." she stopped, looked uncertain. "What do you want me to do?"

"Are you working tonight? Is this just a drive-by visit?"

Rebecca winced. "No. I was going to. I intended to, when I got up. But...no."

"I'm too tired for this, Rebecca. I really am," Catherine said with a sigh.

The look in her eyes, the sound of her voice. Sadness, disappointment, loss. It was a knife in Rebecca's heart. She lifted a hand toward her lover's face, then stopped herself. "Okay. I'll call you. Can I call you?"

"No," Catherine said with a shake of her head, and Rebecca's world tilted, then began to crumble.

"Please. Catheri—"

"I really can't talk now." She reached out, took Rebecca's hand, pulled her gently forward. "Just come inside for tonight. Just...be here."

*****

"Hey," a quiet, husky voice said from the shadows.

Sandy jumped at the sound, then peered into the dim overhang of a video store closed for the night. "Jesus, Dell. Will you not do that? Some night I'm going to shoot you."

Mitchell laughed. "You don't have a gun."

"I'll get one if you keep this up."

"Can we talk?" She stepped onto the sidewalk beside the young blond, wiping the light rain that had been falling since midnight from her eyes.

"Yeah, okay. Let's go to the diner."

"How about Chen's? It's quieter."

Sandy regarded her curiously. "Sure."

Ten minutes later they were seated at a back booth, the only customers in the place. Sandy ordered her usual and Mitchell opted for steamed dumplings and a beer.

"So," Sandy asked, regarding the dark-haired young woman in the black jeans and T-shirt. "What's up? Gonna bag out on the Quivers this weekend?"

"No,” Mitchell said hastily, looking surprised. “Hey, I said I wanted to go."

Sandy hadn't really expected the rookie to go through with it after Sandy’d teasingly dared her to join her at a club to hear a band down from New York City. She didn't even know why she'd asked the cop to come with her. They'd just been talking on the corner one night, only passing time, the way they had now and then since they’d met. Since that night Anne Marie’d died.

 

"You don't have to take me home. I know where I live."

"Sorry, ma'am. The detective in charge  requested I see you home."

"Ma'am? Sandy stopped dead on the sidewalk, impatiently brushing the last tears from her face. “You're kidding, right?"

Mitchell regarded her steadily. "My patrol car is right this way. If you'd follow me, please."

"Look, rookie—give it a rest. The night is young and I've got a living to earn. So, beat it."

"I really think you should go home. You look—upset."

Sandy snorted. "You mean I look like hell? The johns don't care how you look in the dark." She turned and walked away.

"It's probably best if we don't discuss that," Mitchell remarked, falling into step beside her.

"What?" Sandy snapped.

"Your line of work."

"Why, you don't approve?"

"It's…unlawful."

"Now there's a news flash." Sandy stopped once more, turning so quickly her breasts grazed the young cop’s arm again. "I don't happen to be so crazy about your job either, you know."

"So we won't talk shop," Mitchell said quietly as they began to walk on beneath flickering streetlamps, stepping through pools of red and yellow, reflections from blinking neon signs. "You knew her, the dead woman?"

"Yeah, I knew her," Sandy said softly.

"I'm sorry."

 

Sandy hadn't said anything more, but she'd let the rookie walk her home. And after that, when she'd see the young cop walking her beat, she'd acknowledge her with a tilt of her chin as they passed. And then after a week or two, a word of hello, until, unexpectedly one night, Sandy'd been eating alone in Chen's and Mitchell, off duty and in street clothes, had slipped into the seat across from her, and they'd talked. And now, it happened a lot—Dell would show up and they’d have breakfast, and talk about anything—except the life.

"So," Sandy said, dabbing a pancake with plum sauce and rolling the moo shu inside, "you gonna tell me?"

Mitchell hesitated, looking for the right words.

"Dell?" Sandy asked, watching uncertainty play across the rookie's good-looking face. "It's not about what happened, is it? Are you in trouble?"

"No," Mitchell said quickly. "Everything's okay with that."

"Then how come I haven't seen you down here playing super cop since then."

"I'm off the streets for a bit—just routine." At Sandy's quick expression of concern, she added hastily, "It's okay. Really."

"You're fucking lying, Dell," Sandy said angrily, tossing her chopsticks down and rising. "I don't need that from you. And I didn't ask you to come down the goddamned alley and get in the middle of something that wasn't any of your business."

"I was doing my job, Sandy," Mitchell protested, reaching out and grabbing her wrist.

"So was I," Sandy snapped, jerking her arm away.

"No, you weren't," Mitchell growled, sliding from the booth and blocking Sandy's path. "He was raping you."

Sandy stared, astonished by the anger in the young cop's voice. Like it mattered to her. "You know what I do."

"Yes, I know," Mitchell said flatly, trying not to think about the sound of flesh striking flesh, Sandy's head meeting stone. "But that wasn't what was happening with him, was it?"

"No." Sandy sat back down. Mitchell followed. After a minute she said quietly, "We agreed not to talk shop."

"I guess we'll have to reconsider."

Sandy looked away. She hadn't counted on this. She hadn't expected things to get so far, to the point where she cared. "Are you in trouble?"

"A little," Mitchell admitted. "But it will work out."

"Then what did you want to talk to me about?"

"Rebecca Frye."

"Never heard of her."

“Now who’s lying?” Mitchell leaned across the small chipped formica table top. "Maybe this will help you remember her--tall blond detective. The one who had her arms around you? The one who was holding you while you cried on her shoulder?"

Sandy studied her, saw the hard penetrating look in her eyes. Cop's eyes. Jesus, just like Frye's. Oh, man, she so did not need this. "What? You want in on this, too? Is that why you've been coming around? Do you need a snitch, Dell?"

"Oh, for fuck's sake," Mitchell cursed. "No. Goddamn it."

"Then what?"

"I wanted to tell you..." God, what had she wanted to do? All she knew was that she’d felt a little sick in the meeting that morning when Frye had mentioned how one of her street sources was trying to track down the porno makers. That maybe they’d get a break in the case from her.

 

"How good is the source?" Watts asked.

"Very good," Rebecca replied. "She's a hooker, knows every one in the Tenderloin, and she's smart."

"She got any kind of body to go with the brain?" Watts inquired, apparently not noticing Mitchell stiffen beside him.

"What do you care, Watts? I don't think she's looking for a date."

"Cause whoever's making the kiddie flicks is probably making other skin movies, too. Maybe she could hire out for a walk on part." He laughed. "Well, she probably wouldn't need to do any walking—kneeling'd be more like it. They gotta be using local talent, and you know it's always runaways or whores. It’d be good if we could get somebody inside. You can’t ask an undercover cop to do it, cause she’d have to fuck somebody, most likely. But a hooker wouldn’t care.”

Mitchell sat very still, her fist white around the pen in her hand.

"She suggested it and I said no," Rebecca replied in a tone that said it wasn't negotiable. "It's dangerous and she's not trained for it."

What’s it take to lie on her back and spread her legs?”

“We’re done discussing this, Watts,” Rebecca said, and this time there was a hint of danger in her tone. “She’s not some junkie skel like you’re used to bracing in an alley. I’m not putting her at risk.”

 

And that's when she'd realized who it must be. Because Sandy and Frye had a history.

"I know you're her source," Mitchell said.

"Don't know what you're talking about."

"Look," Mitchell said, trying to sound calm and reasonable. "Passing on what you hear on the street is one thing. Asking around, that's something else. People notice when you ask questions."

Sandy actually grinned. "Frye will kick your ass if she finds out you're messing with her sources."

"She could try," Mitchell responded sharply. Sandy laughed out loud. "Okay, yeah, probably."

"Listen, rookie. You're the newbie here. I know my way around." Her expression softened for an instant, and she added quietly, "But thanks."

Without thinking, Mitchell reached out and traced the healing wound on Sandy's forehead with her fingers. "Just be careful, okay? One scar's enough."

"I thought it looked kinda sexy," Sandy said, her voice oddly thick.

"It does."

*****

Catherine lay with her head on Rebecca’s right shoulder, tracing her fingertips in a circle around the newest wound on Rebecca’s chest. Two stitches closed the puncture site where the catheter had been inserted between her third and fourth ribs to reinflate her collapsed lung.

Rebecca reached up and covered Catherine’s hand with her own, stilling it. “The chest Xray was normal this morning.”

“I know. I called the ER and asked about it.”

“I said I’d go back tomorrow for a repeat, just to be sure,” Rebecca continued. They were in bed, naked under a light cover, their bodies touching but distance between them still. It made her insides ache to have Catherine in her arms and feel her slipping away.

“Good.”

“Catherine, I’m sor—“

Shh,” Catherine said softly, her fingers pressed to Rebecca’s mouth. “Don’t talk. I just want to feel you.”

Rebecca pulled her closer, ran her palm down her back, over her hips. Pressing her lips to Catherine’s temple, she whispered, “Please don’t leave me.”

Catherine Rawlings closed her eyes and listened to the steady heartbeat beneath her cheek, the most precious sound she’d ever heard.

 

chapter twentyfour

Five days later, Michael Lassiter lay with her head on Sloan's shoulder, waiting for the alarm to go off. She was surprised when she felt soft warm lips against her brow. "Good morning," she murmured quietly.

"You know," Sloan whispered in the rapidly graying dawn, "this is the first time we've been together and awake in four days. I've missed you."

"I was just thinking the same thing," Michael said with a sigh, turning her head to kiss the faint hollow just below Sloan's collarbone. "When I get home from work, you're already behind closed doors downstairs. When you come upstairs -- if you come upstairs -- to get some sleep, I've already left for work."

“What’s today—Friday?” Sloan asked, trying to dispel the cobwebs from her still fuzzy brain. “You’ve got that managers' meeting this morning at eleven, then the 4:20 flight to Boston, right?”

“How do you manage to keep my schedule in your head?” Michael asked, still astonished that Sloan always seemed to know where she was and what she was doing, despite whatever case she herself was absorbed in.

“I like to remember the important things,” Sloan replied, kissing her again. This time it was a bit more than a good morning kiss.

“I could move the meeting back an hour,” Michael suggested, the kiss tingling all the way down her spine. “Except you should probably get some sleep. Do you think you’ll be working all night again tonight?”

"Probably,” Sloan admitted regretfully, caressing the smooth muscles in Michael’s back. “I'm sorry. We've been pushing pretty hard on this case, because believe it or not, I think something's going to break soon. It's just a question of finding the right combination of factors and narrowing down our list of possibilities."

 "None of you are going to be able to keep going at this pace for much longer," Michael pointed out quietly. She'd seen Jason and Sloan work nonstop for days, including during her own business crisis when she and Sloan had first met. It happened sometimes, she knew that—there were times when she was working against deadline that she didn’t get home for a day or two either. Still, knowing it was part of the job never stopped her from being concerned about the toll it took on her lover. It wasn't her intent to change the way Sloan worked, as if that were even possible. All she wanted to do was interject a tiny voice of reason. "After all," she chided gently, "you wouldn't want to miss something because you were too tired to think straight. It might ruin your superstar reputation."

"Heaven forbid," Sloan laughed. Sighing, she shifted, settling Michael more firmly in her arms. It was good--no, better than good--to be close to her like this. It was this connection to Michael that restored her and gave her the perspective she needed, a perspective which was critical now. "Not much longer, I hope. At least for this stage."

"Are you really close to getting names?"

 "We've been making a lot of headway in that direction. Catherine has been here every night for the last week reviewing transcripts with Jason and discussing indexing parameters with Mitchell. That's given me enough free time to narrow down locations of subscribers to the two or three Web credit card clearinghouses that the F.... that other sources provided."

Michael slid her right thigh across Sloan's hips and sat up, straddling the supine woman. Leaning forward slightly, she began to circle her palms over Sloan's shoulders and chest. "Believe me, I'm glad it's going well. I just want to make sure you're still functional when it's over." She lowered herself until she could find Sloan's mouth with hers, kissing her as she slowly rocked her pelvis back and forth over Sloan's stomach.

"Don't worry," Sloan murmured when Michael finally released her. "I promise to be at least one hundred percent anytime it's required." As she spoke, she lifted her hands until she cradled the undersurface of Michael's breasts, rubbing her thumbs deliberately back and forth across the peaks of her hardened nipples.

Michael drew a sharp breath, catching her lower lip between her teeth. She arched her back, pressing her breasts harder into her lover's palms. "I think your services might be needed soon."

"Really? How soon?"

"I'll let you know.” Lids fluttering closed, Michael ran her hand slowly down her own torso until her fingers rested between her legs. Already hard and wet.

"Don't hurry," Sloan managed through a throat tight with desire. "You know how much I love to watch."

"I know," Michael whispered back, eyes still closed, listening to Sloan's breathing quicken, feeling the muscles in Sloan's abdomen ripple between her thighs, sensing Sloan's hot gaze upon her. Very carefully, not wanting to lose control, she teased her lover as she teased herself.

Sloan continued to work her nipples, eyes fixed on the slow indolent motion of Michael's hand, loving the exquisite torture of watching Michael's passion rise. "God, you're so beautiful."

Michael’s eyes opened, their blue depths virtually eclipsed by the dark shadows of desire. She watched Sloan watch her, nearly slipping over the edge when she saw the hunger in her gaze. "Do you want me to stop?" she asked haltingly, her hips rocking into her hand of their own volition.

“Not yet," Sloan ordered, thrusting upward, forcing Michael's fingers to stroke them both. "Just don't... come."

Michael laughed shakily, her stomach muscles rippling with the first warning contractions. "I should stop then." She thought she could, barely, if she stopped soon.

"No," Sloan growled, her voice a savage groan. Knowing how close Michael was, knowing how much she must want to let go, was making her crazy. Michael was leaning hard into her hands now, her nipples rock hard against her palms, her entire body shuddering. "Hold on," she urged, lifting her own hips so that the back of Michael's fingers pressed into her clitoris. Watching Michael nearing orgasm, feeling her hand circling faster as she pleasured herself, was almost enough to get her there. The intermittent brush of Michael's fingers over her clitoris was all she needed. Desperately close, she became the one struggling to wait.

"Sloan," Michael gasped helplessly. "I'm coming."

Sloan fought not to go off with her, watching the pleasure flow through Michael's body, her own nerves melting as she began to burn from the inside out. Her arms trembled, supporting Michael's weight as she convulsed, and her legs twisted as orgasm thundered through her. Her shouts were lost in Michael's cries as they held to one another while pleasure raged.

Moments, eons, later, Sloan managed, "What do you think?"

"A hundred and ten percent," Michael gasped, still trembling.

"Hmm," Sloan grumbled. "Maybe I am slipping."

Michael laughed. "You know, I can cancel this overnight to Boston. I don't want to be away if something breaks on your case."

"No—go ahead," Sloan said, brushing her cheek against the fine hair at Michael's temple. "We're not that close. I'll pick you up at the airport tomorrow night like we planned."

"If something happens, will you call me? I'll come right back." Michael brushed her hand along Sloan's side, feeling her stiffen. "I know you, Sloan. You'll want to be in the middle of it. And I want to be here."

"Just go sew up your deal," Sloan insisted. "You'll be back in plenty of time. Promise."

"Mmm," Michael said, curling into Sloan's body and closing her eyes. "I'll hold you to that."

*****

Eighteen hours later, Catherine looked up as the door to the conference room opened. As it never failed to do, her heart rate skyrocketed at the sight of the handsome blond in the pale blue button-down collar shirt and faded jeans. It was unusual to see Rebecca working in anything other than a well tailored suit, but it was, after all, eleven p.m. on a Friday night. She supposed that when Rebecca worked the streets well into the early morning hours, she did it in jeans and a leather jacket. The memory of just how good Rebecca looked when dressed that way was followed quickly by an image of Sandy's small cozy apartment and the remains of the takeout meal. Impatiently, she set that thought aside. There was work to be done, and musing about Rebecca's secret life was not going to help.

"You're working late," Rebecca remarked, surveying the pile of computer printouts on the table. Other than several phone calls and one hurried lunch together in the hospital cafeteria, they hadn't really had much contact the entire week. It was the longest they had been separated since Rebecca moved back to her own apartment. With each passing day, Rebecca felt more at sea. She had a feeling that Catherine was waiting for her to say something, or do something, but she wasn't certain what that was.

"I can't believe how much traffic there is on these sites," Catherine said, indicating the stacks of on-line chat transcripts. "And these are just the ones that Jason thought were interesting."

"This is the fifth night into a row that you've been at it. You look tired. You do still have a day job, remember."

Catherine studied her, aware of the reservation in her tone. The concern was genuine; she could see it in her eyes. But Rebecca hadn't touched her when she'd walked into the room, and although she sat within arm's length now, the emotional distance between them seemed unbridgeable. Not for the first time, she wondered where Rebecca had been spending her nights. "I'm okay. Reading through these is a lot easier than doing an hour or two of therapy."

Rebecca smiled wryly. "I can only imagine. How's it going?"

"Surprisingly," Catherine said, pushing back in the chair with a sigh, "not too bad. It occurred to me this morning while I was making rounds that we aren't the only people profiling."

Rebecca edged a hip onto the corner of the table, her expression interested. "What do you mean?"

"Well, thus far, Sloan and Jason have been concentrating on finding individuals who fit a certain profile. I'm sure that the computer wizards in the other room will be able to manipulate this information and eventually come up with something concrete. Still, they've amassed a tremendous amount of information which could take a long time to analyze."

"Right," Rebecca grimaced. "If I think about it too hard, it gives me a headache."

"Actually, me too. I think I might be able to add another piece to the puzzle and speed up the process."

"How?" Rebecca asked, crossing the room and testing the heat of the coffeepot with her palm. It was warm and the coffee smelled fresh. She lifted the pot and gestured in Catherine's direction. "Want some?"

"Thanks, no," Catherine replied with a shake of her head. "Anyhow, it occurred to me that if someone is making money, presumably a lot of money, producing and selling pornographic movies--as well as broadcasting live videos of child prostitution--they have to have an audience."

"Well, that's the point, isn't it?" Rebecca said, moving back to Catherine side with her coffee in hand. "All of these dirt balls that Jason's been communicating with are the audience members."

"I'm not arguing that they are all purveyors of child pornography in one form or another. But only a select few -- probably very few -- would actually be in the position to subscribe to this live broadcast that Sloan's so anxious to get a lead on."

"Wait a minute," Rebecca said, an edge of excitement in her voice. "It's just like any television program -- a target audience always has a particular profile. A particular demographic make-up. Is that what you mean?"

"Precisely," Catherine stated emphatically. "That's exactly what I mean. Obviously, the viewers are going to be men, probably between the ages of twenty-five and fifty. Secondly, they need expensive equipment and high-speed Internet access--that requires a certain income level."

"Probably single, or at least someone who has a large chunk of private time," Rebecca interjected, a note of enthusiasm in her voice.

"So my theory," Catherine continued, "is that there are probably a number of middlemen recruiting potential subscribers for this—broadcasting service--for want of a better word. And we should be able to identify them by the questions they're asking."

"So you’re looking for someone who is trying to find out if Jason--well, the Jason persona--is a single adult male with expendable income who might be interested in something more than still pics or cybersex."

"You've got it. I'm looking for someone who appears to be profiling. What I've done is give Mitchell a list of hypothetical questions that these recruiters might ask so she can screen for them. Then we'll pull the transcripts of anyone who hits fifty percent and, with luck, I can string all of that individual's chats together and see if the whole picture fits."

"I don't know why Clark didn't get you in on this from the beginning," Rebecca said with a shake of her head.

A voice from the door responded, "Because we didn't know what the hell we were doing. And if you repeat that, I'll deny all knowledge." Grinning, Sloan nodded to Rebecca as she made her way to the coffeepot. "How are you doing?"

"Fine." Rebecca glanced at the woman who entered behind Sloan. "Officer Mitchell. Putting in a little overtime?"

"No, ma'am. I'm here on my own time."

Rebecca raised an eyebrow. "Any particular reason?"

"Since Dr. Rawlings is here, I thought I could help out with logging identifiers and running probabilities. Seemed like the best use of resources."

"It's your dime, Mitchell." But she made note of it. The kid was quality.

"Any luck with street intel, Frye?" Sloan inquired.

"Maybe. I'll know better in a couple of hours," Rebecca responded as she glanced in Sloan's direction, not noticing Mitchell's body stiffen or her expression darken.

"Here's something," Catherine said almost to herself. Every eye in the room turned to her.

"What?" Sloan asked immediately.

Catherine pushed a sheet of paper into the center of the table. "Look at these. It's segments of five chats with the same person over the course of the last ten days."

All conversation stopped as they crowded around to read the annotated transcript.

 *****

IPoJ: Chaps 25-End 


Return to The Bard's Corner