Chapter Eight: The Trial Continues
Morning came early at the gaol. Vallis, the smith, turned up at first light with one of the items she had been working through the night on, "Need to check the fitting on this," she told Malonda who'd had headed the early hour watch. "She likely to cause any trouble?"

"She hasn't so far," shrugged the black haired warrior, her eyes roving over the metal in the chunky smith's hand, "I'll have some guards in there with you, though just in case." Taking the key to the cell from her belt, Malonda turned it in the lock and pulled back the heavy bolts at the top and bottom of the door. Signalling four of the guard detail to follow, she motioned Vallis to proceed her into the cell. They found Xena sitting up awaiting them.

After Gabrielle had left the previous evening, the Warrior Princess had spent a troubled, restless, night when all the memories, that had been clouded by Ares interference, had jumped, with sharp detail, into her vivid nightmares. Several times she had woken in a cold sweat, her raven bangs plastered to her forehead. After the fifth time, she had resolved not to sleep any more that night. She was, therefore, wide awake, and beginning to get restless, when she heard the door being unlocked.

She frowned slightly at the unexpected appearance of the smith, and more so when Malonda and her guards all entered the cell. The black mood induced by a poor night's rest was not making her feel very sociable. She wouldn't pick a fight, but that didn't mean she had to be friendly.

The Amazons, almost immediately, felt the dark shroud that Xena had enveloped herself with. The last watch had warned them that she had been having a restless night, but they'd only heard her thrashing and moaning on one occasion during their watch, so had figured that she'd worked her way through whatever was tormenting her. Obviously she hadn't, they now realised.

"I need to check these have been sized right," Vallis growled without preamble, holding out a strange set of restraints.

Xena eyed them appraisingly. The cuffs were shaped pretty much in the fashion of her bracers, not as long, but tapered to fit snug around the wrist and broaden further up the arm to a comfortable fit, they looked heavy and solid. The restraint between the cuffs was a six inch long, one inch diameter, bar of steel. She wasn't surprised that they'd come up with it after the ease with which she had snapped the shackles the previous day.

"Hold your wrists out," grumbled the smith who looked tired and red eyed from a long night's work over her forge.

Arching an eyebrow at the bluff middle aged woman who seemed almost disdainful of her much vaunted, savage, reputation, Xena had to swallow a grin that wanted to emerge and ruin her black mood. She held out her hands, instead, in fists clenched, palms turned up.

Vallis gave the warrior an amused quirk of her lips. She liked Xena under normal circumstances. The woman was a true warrior, an Amazon in every sense of the word, except her only known connection to their people was through Queen Gabrielle as her champion. However she had seen the miracles that the Warrior Princess had worked on their behalf, more than once, and felt it to be a pity that a brief spurt of mindless violence had brought them all to this pass now.

Giving her head an almost imperceptible shake, she locked the unusual manacles around the prisoner's wrists, checking to make sure that they weren't loose enough to wriggle out of, nor so tight that they would chafe, "Seems a pretty good fit," nodded the smith, taking pride in her work, "If she breaks out of those I haven't got anything stronger that could hold her." She told Malonda as she produced a key to unlock them.

"Don't worry about taking them off, Vallis," Malonda told her touching her arm lightly, "Everyone will feel better if she's under restraint and the court will be sitting again soon, so it'll save us having to put them back on her."

There was something in Malonda's tone that Xena took exception too and she stood in a smooth, menacing, movement that had all the guards tensing in readiness for a fight. Ignoring them, the Warrior Princess turned frosty eyes on the head scout and told her in a low frigid voice, "You got a problem with me?"

"The Amazons have a problem with you, Xena. I'm just doing my job," the warrior replied with a irritated snap in her tone.

"Don't push me, Malonda. I'm not in the mood," warned the raven haired woman, her words resonating ominously.

Malonda looked like she might try and make more of it, but Vallis intercepted her with a strong grip on the other Amazon's arm and pulled her towards the door, "Cut it out Malonda," she told the woman firmly, "what's gotten into you," she chided gruffly, as everyone exited the cell with the door clanging shut behind them.

Xena watched tensely until she was alone, before examining the manacles closely. They were sturdily made and well finished with all the rough edges smoothed to make them as comfortable as possible. Testing the strength of her fetters, she slowly flexed her muscles to see if she could make an impression on that solid bar of metal.

A wry grin edged onto her face as she recognised that these particular manacles were far beyond her strength to deal with, - Might even give Hercules a run for his money, - she mused. - Well Vallis is certainly a craftswoman. Maybe I'll get her to re-shoe Argo before leaving here ... if I'm not having to make a run for it! - she brooded.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Gabrielle had intended to wake at dawn so that she could fit in a visit to the gaol, before the court resumed session after the town broke it's fast. However, early rising had never been the bard's forte and, when her grudging eyes did crack open, she realised that not only wouldn't she have time to visit with Xena, she wasn't going to get a chance to eat before having to endure another day of the trial.

"Oh Zeus!" she swore, as she scrambled out of her bed and struggled into her ceremonial dress with growing agitation over the vast array of clasps and beads that seemed to have minds of their own. She was ready to make a bolt for the communal dining room to grab some bread and cheese, knowing that her stomach would perform a good imitation of Amazon war drums if she didn't, when a light tap at the door brought her up short, "Come in," she invited, trying to sound composed and regal.

Ephiny edged the door open and she carried a tray with her that gave off delightful aromas of fresh baked bread and sharp goats cheese, "Ready for breakfast?" asked the tired looking Regent with a grin.

"Eph, are you bored with being Regent?" demanded Gabrielle as she twitched the tray cloth aside to reveal a bowl of cereal and several pieces of fruit in addition to the bread and cheese.

Looking startled the curly haired woman answered, "No .. why?"

Her Queen grinned and returned, "Well you seem to be looking for a career in catering."

"Gabrie ..." Ephiny tried to interrupt.

"If you'd just woken me earlier we could have gone over to the dining room together," - And I could have taken some time to see Xena, - thought the bard as she continued, "But you really seem dedicated to becoming a waitress." She teased, trying to take her mind off the trial.

"You needed to sleep," objected the Regent testily, having spent all but two candlemarks of the night awake, supervising arrangements to ensure that the Warrior Princess didn't get out of control again .. as much for her safety as for the Amazons. "I thought you'd appreciate something to eat before the court sits again, but then again, perhaps that legendary appetite of yours is really a myth."

The bard's stomach chose that moment to rumble and caused both women to grin in response. Taking a chunk of bread and a wedge of the cheese, the young Queen studied her Regent, noted the irritability and saw the tense tiredness in her friend so asked, "Eph, did you get any sleep last night?"

"Some," she replied, "I had a lot to do."

"What?" inquired the bard flatly.

"The Elders instructed me to find a way to make sure that Xena doesn't disrupt proceedings like she did yesterday. I've spent the night overseeing those preparations." the Regent told her with a shrug.

"What preparations, Ephiny," demanded her Queen even though she had known it something was likely to be done.

"I've had Vallis make up some special shackles that even Xena shouldn't be able to break. Don't look at me like that, Gabrielle," she warned aware of the black scowl on the bard's face, "I was under instruction from the Council of Elders and I had no choice. Besides it's as much for Xena's good as anyone's. We've got a lot of twitchy sisters looking for the chance to get a crack at the Warrior Princess, and I don't want any accidents."

"So chain her up like some animal, so that if some hot head takes it upon them self to exact revenge she won't be able to defend herself!" roared the bard in a livid tone hating the thought of Xena shackled at the best of times.

"C'mon, Gabrielle! You know there will be plenty of guards to protect her," Ephiny tried to reassure her friend.

"Yeah! But who's gonna protect her from the guards?" the Queen wanted to know, aware that the comment was petulant and unfair.

The Regent's face went white upon hearing the insult to the Royal Guards. In a quiet angry voice she said, "The guards are loyal to the throne, your majesty, and would die before they allowed anyone to harm your champion while in their charge."

Gabrielle was pulled up short, as much by the formality of the words as by what the other woman had said. Taking a deep shuddering breath, the bard turned to her friend apologetically and said softly, "I'm sorry, Eph. This whole trial thing has got me on edge." - Oh Gods! - she thought, her eyes widening in realisation.

"The trial!" they blurted in unison, as they scrambled for the door, Gabrielle snagging another, still warm, bread roll as she hurried after the Regent.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

They just managed to beat the entrance of the Elders, hurrying with undignified haste that made Gabrielle want to giggle at the image of the Queen and her Regent rushing around like adolescent schoolgirls. Flushed with amusement and embarrassment, she didn't at first notice that Xena was sitting with a face like a thunder cloud.

"Hey," the bard said sitting down next to her friend, "How're you doing?" Getting no reply, she looked more carefully at the raven haired warrior and noticed the tense lines of anger on her face, "Xena?" she questioned quietly. She glanced at the unusual manacles that imprisoned the Warrior Princess' wrists and sighed. "We knew that they'd have to come up with something to try and hold you," she said soothingly, forcing her own anger about the shackles into the back of her mind. "We discussed it last night and you were fine about it then." She didn't bother to add that she'd just had a row with Ephiny about the very same thing that had her friend seething.

Xena glared at her, "I don't mind these," she raised her hands a little to emphasise the fetters, "Well I do, but it's no more than I expected." she snarled, "What I object to is being staked out like some sacrificial goat!"

"What?" questioned the bard, not really understanding.

"Take a look under the table, Gabrielle," growled Xena angrily.

The honey blonde, young, woman leaned back in her seat and pursed her lips. Xena's ankles were trapped into a device that looked very much like the manacles she wore on her wrists; same tapered cuffs secured to an eighteen inch long, inch thick bar of metal that was in turn fixed firmly to the planking of the floor. It was pretty certain that while locked into that, her friend would not be able to leave the vicinity of her seat.

"Calm down Xena," the bard said soothingly. "The Elders don't want a repeat of you disrupting proceedings, that's all. After yesterday's little demonstration, we can hardly blame them, and you knew that they would do something to avoid a repeat performance."

The Warrior Princess glowered at her, but finally, grudgingly admitted, "I suppose so .. it's just that I don't like being helpless, you know that."

"Xena," Gabrielle told her seriously, "They could wrap your entire body in chains, stuff you in a sack and lock you in a cage and you still wouldn't be helpless."

That forced the shadow of a smile onto the warrior's lips, "Only you'd say something like that, my bard."

"Oh, no, no, no!" Gabrielle retorted, "Most of your hardened enemies say that!"

"Hmph!" snorted Xena, finally cajoled out of her bad mood, "I just wish I knew who dreamed up these little joys," she grumbled, although her heart was no longer in it.

"Erm ..." answered the bard unwillingly, "Actually I think it was Ephiny."

"Eph!" snapped Xena a little louder than she should, drawing the Regent's attention. She gave the blonde a cold look that had the Amazon running her fingers through her unruly mane in agitation, "Remind me to have a word with Ephiny about this sometime."

"Oh gods, Xena!" hissed Gabrielle as she lightly slapped her friend's arm, "She was ordered to find someway of restraining you by the Elders. She didn't have a choice and she's been up all night working out the best way to do it so that it's as unobtrusive as possible, so give her some slack here," she chided. Xena just looked at her stonily.

As the Elders settled into place, the court came to order and Amara addressed everyone, particularly directing her remarks to Gabrielle, Tarelle and of course, Xena, "After the scenes yesterday, I hope that everyone understands that we will not tolerate any more such antics .. from anyone," her grey eyes swept the hall to include the assembled Amazons.

Getting no disagreements, - Not that I expected any, - thought the Eldest grimly, - Not if they all know what's good for them, anyway. - Amara turned to Tarelle and asked, "Do you wish to continue with your examination of the Queen?"

The prosecutor stood and answered with a firm, though respectful, "Yes if it pleases the court."

"Just make sure that you don't get too enthusiastic in your questioning, Tarelle," warned Borayne, a dour Elder with a red thatch of hair that had been liberally sprinkled with the grey of age. She had the reputation of speaking rarely and only when she had a clear point to make. Tarelle, knew it was a warning that the Elders didn't intend to have their patience stretched.

At Amara's invitation, Gabrielle resumed her place on the witness stand and waited for Tarelle's first question which, as expected, resumed at the point where the proceedings had been disturbed by an angry Warrior Princess out to protect her best friend.

"My Queen," began the prosecutor with a vicious smirk, "I believe you were about to tell us what happened to you when you emerged from the purification hut." Gabrielle looked at her in silence, "Queen Gabrielle?" pressed Tarelle, although not forcefully, "What did you see when you came out of the purification hut?"

Reluctantly, Gabrielle responded, "I saw Xena surrounded by Amazons, with Ephiny on the ground before her."

"And what happened next?" continued Tarelle who noticed the grimace that flitted across the young Queen's face as she remembered.

"Xena went to throw the chakram towards me, but Ephiny disrupted her aim." she answered flatly.

"What happened then," persisted the red haired prosecutor who was enjoying seeing her Queen squirm as she incriminated her proud, deadly, champion.

"Ephiny shouted out for Joxer to run, but Xena caught up with us. Joxer tried to protect me, but was knocked down and then Xena used the whip to snag my feet." Gabrielle's voice was toneless and her eyes were on the Warrior Princess who's sapphire eyes seemed haunted by the freshly raw memories. The bard forced a quirk of her lips as encouragement for her friend.

"Please tell us of the events that followed," invited Tarelle, who'd seen the brief smile and had taken the chance for a quick look at Xena who seemed discomforted by what was being revealed, - Your turn soon, Warrior Princess, - she silently snarled.

"There isn't a lot I can tell," shrugged Gabrielle uncomfortably. "Xena dragged me behind a horse. I lost consciousness somewhere on the journey. I came to on a cliff. We struggled and I took us over that cliff, intending to kill us both."

There was a hushed gasp that traveled around the meeting hall as the Amazons registered what their Queen had said. None of them had known about the events on the cliff. They knew that the Queen and her champion had disappeared from there, but any fall from that height should have killed both of them.

Waiting for silence to return to the court, Tarelle thought furiously what she should say next. She didn't want to press matters here; Xena's attempt at dragging their Queen to death had pretty much been covered. The last thing she wanted was to get into the sticky mire of Gabrielle's attempting to kill the Warrior Princess. She decided that she'd covered everything necessary here. When the noise finally abated she said simply, "I have no further questions for this witness."

"My Queen?" invited Amara.

Gabrielle turned to the Elders saying, "Since I can hardly question myself," that drew some chuckles from the crowd, "I'd like to make a statement at this point, to clarify some of the things that happened that were the root cause of the deaths of our Amazon sisters, and what happened to me."

Elder Amara looked at the other Elders to gain the agreed consensus before replying, "Please make your statement, Queen Gabrielle."

The bard composed her thoughts carefully. She knew that this was going to hurt both her and Xena, and had to steel herself for the ordeal that she felt would be like thrusting her hand into a furnace, "Some months ago," she began, " Xena and I travelled to Britannia to help Queen Boadicea in her fight against Caesar and his Roman Legions. While we were there, I became interested in a religion that pretended to goodness, whilst really being the worship of ultimate evil ... Dahak."


She paused to collect her thoughts, knowing that her expression was grim. A glance at Xena's face showed that it was set in stone, but the bard was well aware that violent emotions churned beneath the surface, "Xena rescued me from Dahak's altar, but not before he had planted his seed in me." Gabrielle smiled wanly at the Warrior Princess, reliving the terrifying ordeal that Xena had risked her life to rescue her from.

"Within days I gave birth to a baby girl, Hope. Obviously my pregnancy was far from normal, but the father was a god and who knows what is normal to them." She explained to the assembly, "I thought that she was the most perfect, beautiful child that had ever been born and, against all the evidence to the contrary, I was convinced that she was an innocent ... she was, after all, my daughter.

"Xena, however, was convinced that Hope was the embodiment of evil. Her father's gateway into our world. She was certain that Hope had strangled a young warrior who was helping to protect us. He was good and kind and the only people in that room had been me, Xena and Hope. Xena accused my child and prepared to thrust her sword through her. My best friend wanted to kill my baby!" She heard Xena's knuckles begin to crack as her fists clenched tighter at the recollection of the memories and the angry mutters of the Amazons at the callousness of the Warrior Princess.

"I managed to escape with Hope, who was growing at an amazing rate, and eventually, when I knew that I'd never be able to lose Xena, I tricked her into believing that I had thrown Hope off of a cliff. Abandoning my child," she said quietly, "was the only way I had of ensuring her safety."

All eyes were on the Amazon Queen and the Warrior Princess. The suffering and anguish were clear to those who cared to read the signs. The powerful emotions played clearly on Gabrielle's expressive face, while Xena's stone faced blankness could not hide the rigid tenseness that her body language displayed.

Swallowing hard, Gabrielle forced herself to continue, "Some moons later, Hope, no longer a baby, but a growing child, turned up here and freed Callisto from the lava pit where Xena had sealed her and Valesca. An act of evilness in itself," the bard explained. "But, when I found Hope again, all I saw was my beautiful child. Not the daughter of Dahak, the Daughter of Darkness. My blindness to what her father was, and who she was, led to the death of Solon, a truly innocent and good child. And not only him, but others too. There could have been so many more deaths if it hadn't been for Xena!" she declared passionately.

She looked up at Amara and told her, "I poisoned Hope, but it was too late for Solon, and Xena's grief was all the deeper because she had never told him that she was his mother."

Taking a deep breath and allowing the listeners to digest the story she had told them, she then began to explain how these events had lead to the deaths of Amazons, "With emotions twisted into tatters, it was the perfect time for Ares to return to reclaim his Warrior Princess," she told them. "All here know how much the God of War want's Xena, the Destroyer of Nations, to return to his flock.

"He went to Xena and tugged at her frayed emotions, playing on the hatred she felt towards me because of Hope. My deception in Britannia and the end result of Solon's death earned the hatred that was driving Xena at that time, and Ares used that to warp her judgement. She was in no mental condition to fight against Ares' arguments and clever blandishments. He used everything in his armoury to turn her back to her dark side and sent her here to kill me. Not only that, but his interference wiped her memory of these events and we were only able to break through those blocks last night. Needless to say, Xena is suffering through these revelations, the more so since to her they are a fresh, new, wound."

There wasn't a sound in the hall as the Amazon's waited to hear what the bard had to say next, "Well," she continued, "you can see Ares plan worked ... for a while. Xena raided the village, killing and injuring Amazons without really knowing what she was doing. That she eventually regained her senses is shown by the fact that I'm here alive to tell you this story. And the point of me telling you all of this?" she asked rhetorically, "The point is that, if you must blame anyone for the deaths of our Amazon sisters, you could try Ares. Or should Amazon justice require a mortal culprit, then I really am more to blame than Xena is," she finished quietly.

Loud clamouring erupted throughout the hall, but one voice cut clearly across all of the noise, "No! Gabrielle! It was not your fault!" Xena shouted as she pushed the table away so that she could get to her feet, only to be restrained by two Amazon guards.

Gabrielle shot a pleading look at her friend, who appeared ready to do something reckless to the guards, "No Xena," she pleaded, "just let me do this my way. It's something I need to do. Something I have to do." She waited tensely until the Warrior Princess subsided and sank grudgingly back into her chair with the table drawn up in front of her again and the two guards each standing with a hand on a shoulder.

Xena could feel the urgency in the bard's voice and, although it hurt her to allow Gabrielle to try and shoulder the blame, she understood her need to do so. Forcing herself to relax, she allowed bard to continue to handle the situation in the way she chose.

As the noise in the hall gradually abated, the young Queen faced the Elders and declared, "There is no way that I can deny that Xena attacked this village killing and harming sisters. I cannot deny that she took me from here against my will. What I am telling you is that she was not in control of herself. Grief, and Ares, manipulated her actions. She was not responsible for what happened. She was a tool, a pawn, if you like, in the hands of a God."

Tarelle rose to her feet and heatedly shouted, "That's no defence, to hide behind the coattails of a God. She committed the acts. She should suffer the penalty for her actions."

Against restraining hands, Xena forced herself to her feet once more, a deadly look in her eye, her voice the whisper of Tartarus, "I hide behind no man or God!" she declared.

Pandemonium broke out in the meeting hall as the Amazons started to yell the arguments for the side they backed. Gabrielle moved quickly to Xena's side and hissed, "What do you think you're doing?"

"I won't be accused of cowardice, Gabrielle. I face up to my responsibilities," Xena told her bleakly.

"Just go along with me," pleaded Gabrielle. "Don't let Tarelle get to you. If she pulls you down, her faction won't be long in coming after Ephiny and me." It wasn't exactly fair to use that argument, but it got Xena's attention and a grudging nod of compliance.

With a storm of words raging through the hall, the Elders ordered Solari and her guards to restore order within the chamber so that the hearing could continue. When silence had been finally achieved, Elder Amara asked Tarelle, "Do you wish to ask Queen Gabrielle any more questions?"

"No Elder," the prosecutor replied smugly, "I do not believe that Queen Gabrielle's testimony has any baring on this case."

Elder Katanis looked up sharply and reprimanded Tarelle, "That is not your decision to make Prosecutor. Only the Elder's may decide what is relevant to this case." Tarelle bowed in submission and resumed her seat. Only a twitch at the corner of her mouth showed her annoyance at being spoken to so.

"Thank you Queen Gabrielle," Amara smiled at the young ruler, "Your statement has been most illuminating." She turned to Tarelle, "You may call your next witness, prosecutor."

Tarelle arose and said in a clear, gleeful voice, "I call upon Xena of Amphipolis to hold truth!"

The silence in the meeting house was deafening until Gabrielle stood up and growled, "Now wait a minute! Defendants are not required to testify, unless they chose to do so, under Greek Law."

The red haired prosecutor smirked, "But this trial is being conducted under Amazon law, my Queen, and under Amazon Law I have the right to call anyone as a witness, including the accused. I therefore exercise my right under law to call Xena of Amphipolis to hold truth ... if she's capable of it." she added snidely, almost too quietly to be heard.

The Warrior Princess, though, with her remarkable hearing, heard and stiffened perceptively. Gabrielle heard and shot a murderous glare at Tarelle. Most surprisingly, Elder Sarelle heard the comment and glowered, before having a hurried, whispered, conversation with the other Elders whose face's also turned stormy.

Amara cleared her throat and spoke first to the bard, "Tarelle is right about the law, my Queen. She has the right to call Xena as a witness and may do so," her grey eyes were coldly angry as she turned them on Tarelle, "once she has apologised for the unnecessary, and insulting comment she just made, that demeans the Warrior Princess' honour."

The prosecutor had gone rigid with anger and all colour had drained from her cheeks at Amara's words. Her comment had been meant only for Xena's legendary hearing and maybe the upstart Queen's, if her ears were sharp enough. She had never expected her words to be picked up by the Elders. She was well aware of the loud buzz of speculation in the background, as her fellow Amazons discussed just what kind of comment the redhead had made.

Slowly, under the scrutiny of everyone in the room, Tarelle stood and turned towards the table where Xena was seated. Her furious grey-green eyes bored into the raven haired woman's before she forced herself to mouth the required apology, "I'm sorry for any aspersion that I cast upon your honour," saying it in a flat monotone that carried no conviction whatsoever.

The Warrior princess made a slight bow of her head towards the Elders for their intervention and then ignored the event while, once again, a loud buzz of speculation filled the halls as Amazons again wondered about exactly what had been said.

Amara regained the attention of the packed court when she continued, "Due to implemented safety measures, this Council of Elders feels that it would be more suitable for Xena of Amphipolis to give her evidence from where she is seated. Therefore if you'd care to begin, Prosecutor Tarelle?"

The red head had managed in that short time to pull herself together and was ready once again to wage war upon the Warrior Princess, "You are Xena of Amphipolis?" she questioned as she stood up and moved before the warrior.

"Yes," replied the raven haired woman in a cool, clear voice. "Is it not true that you have other, far less innocuous names?"

The question was met with silence.

"Come now, do you dispute that you are known as the Warrior Princess?" charged Tarelle belligerently.

"No," came the flat answer.

"Or the Destroyer of Nations?" continued the prosecutor detecting a subtle flicker of pain in the other woman's eyes.

"No," came the reply once again, flatly said with no emotion to be heard in her inflection.

"Can you tell the court how your acquired these names .. these titles?" sneered Tarelle getting into the swing of her attack.

Gabrielle jumped to her feet and appealed to the Elders, "I object. These questions don't have any baring on what happened."

"I disagree," responded the prosecutor promptly, "The Queen is the one who has insisted upon bringing evidence from the past into consideration, and the Warlord past of Xena of Amphipolis goes a long way to showing that her actions here, within the bounds of Themiscyra, were far from a one off abhoration in her life."

"But she's no longer that person," persisted the bard, "She's changed so much in the last four summers. It's hardly fair to judge her actions by what happened so long ago."

The Elders conferred for several moments before Amara turned back to them with a decision, "We will allow this line of questioning. However much she's changed, the Xena of then and now is still the same person and the latitude we allowed you, my Queen, must be allowed to the prosecutor also."

"Just make sure that your questions are to the point, prosecutor," Elder Borayne interjected.

Tarelle gave a short bow towards the Elder's bench before turning back in time to see Gabrielle return to her seat with a disappointed look on her face. Not bothering to hide a grin of triumph she returned to her question, "So how did you earn those titles?"

There was a long stretch of silence as the whole meeting house waited to hear what Xena would say. Just when it looked as if the Warrior Princess had no intention of answering the question, she gave a soft sigh and said simply, "I was a warlord for ten years. In that time I acquired many names and titles. Those two are the most well known. There were many more, mostly in foreign languages."

"You were a warlord?" prodded Tarelle.

"I have admitted so, yes," agreed Xena.

"And as a warlord you did what? Help farmers? protect villages? What?" pushed the prosecutor.

Xena glared at her before answering in a cold, distant voice, "I led a god's be damned successful army that conquered territory and the cities, towns and villages within those territories."

Tarelle nodded thoughtfully, "You ravaged the land?"

"My army did, yes," conceded the warrior.

"Ah, your army!" the prosecutor repeated as if stunned by the insight. She looked Xena full in the face, "So your army did the things you directed? You didn't participate in the fighting at all?"

"I was the leader," she took a deep breath and added, "I usually led from the front."

"So you were a full participant in the raiding, burning, looting and killing that went on at your orders?" prompted Tarelle sharply.

"Yes," came the agreement.

Tarelle wandered across the floor in front of the Elders bench, then turned abruptly and flung out the question, "Just how many people have you personally killed, Xena?" she demanded.

Gabrielle fought against the urge to squirm as she saw the look of self-loathing fill Xena's eyes. She wanted to stop this, but the Elders had made their position clear here. She watched helplessly as her best friend replied very softly, "I don't know."

Cupping a hand to her ear, Tarelle said sarcastically, "I'm sorry, I didn't hear that answer."

In a firmer voice the raven haired woman replied, "I said, I don't know."

"Oh," nodded Tarelle in a disappointed tone, "Now why is that, I wonder? Could it be that you've killed so many men, women and children that no one would ever be able to count the people that you've personally slaughtered."

"I object!" shouted Gabrielle angrily, "It's well known that Xena has never killed women and children."

"Prosecutor?" questioned Amara giving Tarelle the chance to back up her claim.

"The women and children of Cirra are a well known case, Elder Amara. I'm certain there are others, without the women warriors that have been slain by her hand."

"Can you dispute these?" the Elder asked Gabrielle.

"Well, no," admitted the bard edgily, "But Cirra was an accident. Xena has never deliberately set out to injure defenceless women and children."

"Just defenceless men?" sniped in Tarelle.

"You may have a little longer with your line of questioning prosecutor, but I want to see a connection to the issues we are looking at before much longer" Amara insisted.

"The Point I'm trying to make here, Elder Amara, is that Xena, the Warrior Princess, Destroyer of Nations, has for a large part of her life, gloried in spilling blood and taking innocent lives. She's killed so many people by her own hand that she cannot count the deaths attributable to her. Whatever changes she's made in her life, she is still the woman who has done these things."

"Have you finished with you questions to her?" asked Amara.

"Almost," agreed the prosecutor and turned back to face the defendant. "When you rode into Themiscyra that day, what did you intend to do?"

Xena stared at her for a few heartbeats before answering, "I came to kill Gabrielle."

"Like you have killed countless others before her?"

"Yes," the warrior admitted, feeling the burden of her overwhelming guilt grow heavy once more on her shoulders.

"Was there any difference between the Xena who came here bent upon murder, and the Xena of old? The Xena who was a bloody, murdering warlord?"

"No," came the quiet admission that carried across the silent hall.

"I have no further questions," said Tarelle as she returned to her seat.

"My Queen?" asked Amara, "Do you wish to ask any questions?"

The bard gave the Elders a wan smile as she stood and answered, "It seems that I need to." She walked in front of the table so that she could look at her friend. Her brows knitted in concentration as she looked to find the best way to begin. Her face brightened suddenly and she asked, "Xena, in the last three to four seasons, what have you been doing?"

"I .. I have sought to help people who couldn't help themselves," she replied slowly.

"Why is that?" questioned Gabrielle gently.

"I wanted to .. needed to try and make amends for what I have done in my past," she told her.

The bard assumed a perplexed look on her face "Why?" she asked, "I mean, weren't you happy as a warlord? You'd managed to conquer half of Greece at one time. You were pretty good at what you did."

Xena looked at her friend, puzzled over what she was trying to get at, "Hercules made me realise that what I was doing was wrong. He gave me a chance to change."

"Ah," the bard nodded her head, "So Hercules looked you up, had a chat and asked you to change, so you did?"

"Um, not quite," responded the warrior, beginning to get an inkling of how Gabrielle was handling this.

"Oh? So what happened?" the blonde asked.

"I was trying to kill him," Xena relied matter of factly, and almost grinned at the rumble that ran around the hall at that news. There had always been rumours, but this was the first definite confirmation on it most of them had heard. "We fought. I almost succeeded .. would have succeeded if it hadn't been for his cousin interfering .. but finally he had me down with a blade to my throat. I told him to kill me. He let me go." A very straightforward recitation of bare facts.

Gabrielle nodded and wandered around in the clear space between the Elder's bench and the two tables occupied by prosecution and defence, before turning back and saying, "So you're telling us that the greatest hero in Greece, a man known for his stance on law and justice, had the opportunity to kill you or take you captive? and he just let you go?"

"Yes," agreed the Warrior Princess.

"Why?"

"He said afterwards that .." she paused somewhat embarrassed by what she was going to say next, "there was goodness in my heart." She shrugged.

"So the son of Zeus released you because he saw goodness within you?" re-iterated the bard.

"That's what he said," confirmed Xena.

"Why did you try to kill me?" asked the Amazon Queen suddenly.

The raven haired woman looked at her for a long moment before answering slowly and carefully, "Because you betrayed me."

"Some moons ago, I betrayed you to an enemy in the land of Chin and nearly caused your execution. Why didn't you try to kill me then?" the bard asked feeling a fresh stab of pain at the memories that she was raking over and hearing more muttering from the assembled Amazons, who knew nothing of this.

Xena looked at her manacled hands and tried to find the right words for the answer, "You are my best friend. Your intentions were good, I was angry with you, but I couldn't blame you for what you did."

"Why did you try to kill me here, then?" pushed Gabrielle.

"After the death of Solon .. of my son," she felt a constriction in her throat as the emotion boiled up again, "I wasn't thinking clearly. All I thought of was the time I never got to spend with him, because I had to hide him from my enemies. My heart was full of rage and grief .. and Ares came. You know the rest."

The bard thought for a moment, looking at her boots as she tried to cover the angles, "How many people who have betrayed you more than once are still living?" she asked carefully.

"Just one," returned the Warrior Princess grimly.

"What about the people who have betrayed you just once?" the Queen asked.

"Just one," replied Xena coldly.

Gabrielle looked up at the Elders and said, "Since I betrayed you twice I know who the first person is. But who is this other, that betrayed you."

"Caesar!" the warrior almost snarled.

"Every other betrayer is dead?" queried the bard academically.

"Yes," agreed Xena.

"Then why is he still alive?" she demanded bluntly.

"Because I've never had an appropriate opportunity to kill him," snapped the Warrior Princess.

"If you had the chance, would you kill him?" probed the blonde.

"Yes," agreed the warrior eagerly.

"Then why should the Elders and the Amazons believe that you won't try to kill me again?" came the succinct question.

Xena looked at her blankly for a moment before blurting, "Because you're you. You're my best friend. Gods, Gabrielle! If I was going to kill I would have done it moons ago. No one would have been around to stop me, not that anyone would have been able to should I have really wanted to."

"Thank you, Xena," the bard smiled warmly, "I've finished with my questions, she told the Elders.

"Have you anymore witness's to call, prosecutor?" asked Avena, the smallest of the Elders, a neat, petite woman who sat ramrod straight and had a stern face.

"No Elder, I have finished calling my witnesses," answered Tarelle demurely, giving a slight bow.

"Queen Gabrielle," Avena addressed the bard, "Have you any further witnesses that you wish to question?" "If the court will allow, I would like to ask Solari some questions," responded the honey blonde woman.

Solari came forward to the witness stand as the Elders nodded agreement. She turned and awaited Gabrielle's first question. The bard knew that she could trust Solari to answer truthfully and only intended to use her testimony to emphasise the fact that Xena bore the Amazons no ill will.

"When we met as we entered Amazon territory, did Xena show any hostility towards any Amazon?" she asked.

"No," was the simple reply.

"Did Xena cause any harm to, or any problems for, any Amazon sister?" asked the bard.

"No," returned Solari for the second time.

"During the evening, when we were attacked, can you tell the Elders what actually happened," invited Gabrielle.

Tarelle stood and asked in a weary tone, "Can I ask the relevance of this to the attack on the village?"

"I'm trying to show, that the attack was an abhorration performed at a time of severe mental trauma and not within the bounds of Xena's normal dealings or attitudes towards the Amazons," answered Gabrielle hotly.

"We'll allow this, so long as it's brief," instructed Amara.

Taking a deep breath, Solari gave an honest description of the events of that evening, finishing with, "If Xena hadn't warned us about the imminent danger, we'd all have been dead. Both Alexa and I owe our lives to Xena, who blocked killing blows aimed at us by attackers."

"So in conclusion, could you honestly say, in your own personal opinion, that Xena holds any hatred toward or for the Amazon people or that, in normal circumstances, she would do anything to harm an Amazon sister?" questioned the bard.

"In truth," conceded Solari, "No. Xena has always proven herself to be a friend of the Amazons."

"Thank you," Gabrielle said, turning back to the Elders, "I hope that from the testimony given, and the explanation of the events that led up to the attack, you will see and believe that it would be a very harsh judgement to hold Xena responsible for what happened. It would also be poor thanks for all of the help that she has given the Amazon Nation in the past. Additionally, I hope that you can see that I am in no personal danger from Xena." having finished, Gabrielle returned to her seat next to her friend.

Amara looked at Tarelle, "Do you have anything that you wish to say, before we retire to consider out judgement?"

"If it pleases the Elders," began Tarelle, standing up, "All I wish to say is that Xena is responsible for the deaths and injuries of Amazon sisters. Whatever circumstances led her to do this, there can be no doubt that she is responsible for those deaths and injuries, nor can there be any doubt that she abducted the Queen and so committed an act of Treason, and the judgement should be rendered accordingly."

Amara and the other Elders rose as Tarelle took her seat once again. The Eldest announced, "We will withdraw to consider all that has been said here. We hope to give our decision shortly."

As the Elders left, Gabrielle patted her friend lightly on the shoulder, "It will be all right," she tried to reassure.

"Gabrielle," the warrior said softly, "I ... you ...," she stumbled trying to find the right words as she stumbled over a host of emotions that she had tried to bury, " ... Thank you," she said simply at last.

"Hey," smiled the bard, "What are friends for."


Chapter Nine: A Long Wait
With the Elders leaving to deliberate upon their verdict, the Amazon's slowly left the meeting hall to continue their daily chores. Xena was released from the leg restraints that had kept her in place during the second half of the trial, and escorted back to her cell, even though Gabrielle remonstrated with Solari to release the Warrior Princess into her custody until the Elders announced their decision.

"I'm sorry, Queen Gabrielle," the big Amazon told her, "The law doesn't allow for that. Xena must remain in custody until the judgement of the Elders is made."

"Don't worry over it, Gabrielle," Xena told her, "It's only for a little while longer, and It's as comfortable a place to wait as any." she reassured.

"Xena ...." the bard said, laying her hand on her friend's arm.

"Hey," smiled the warrior softly, recognising the concern in the blonde's mannerisms and loss of words, "I'll be fine. You did a great job as an advocate. No one could have done better."

"Move you," growled one of the guards, giving Xena a rough shove on the shoulder to get her started.

The Warrior Princess gave the Amazon a dangerously feral look before leaning close to her and saying softly so only the other woman could hear, "Bite me!" Before turning and smiling reassuringly at the bard as she allowed the guards to steer her away towards the door.

As Xena was lead away by her guards, Gabrielle looked after and whispered, "But will it be enough? Did I convince them?" She allowed her vacant gaze to flick across the banners of fallen foes that decorated the walls of the meeting hall. Here were the honoured trophies that Amazon Warriors had collected throughout their battle history. She closed her eyes as against the prospect of her Amazons being the ones to bring the Warrior Princess down. - Of all the enemies she has made, is it going to be her friends that finally destroy her? - she wondered miserably.

Patroclese came over to join the bard. He too had watched Xena being led away, standing quietly, recognising that Gabrielle needed time to collect herself. When she finally turned to him she said, "Well, now you know all the details of the problem. As an outsider, how do you think it went?"

The healer looked at her thoughtfully for a moment or two before replying, "You understand that I'm a sceptic about Gods manifesting themselves to ordinary mortals?" Gabrielle nodded her head impatiently, and motioned for him to continue what he thought. "Well, from an outsiders view, the whole thing seems incredible! I mean this thing with Ares chasing after Xena! .... You made it sound like it's an ongoing contest, or something," the healer mused trying to get a grasp on the concept.

"It is," the bard told him quietly, "Xena was once Ares' greatest creation. His Chosen. She revelled in war and destruction. Not only that she was very, very good at what she did. Shall we say very good at being wickedly bad. It's only in the last few years that she turned away from that side of her nature to begin to make amends for all the evil she has done in her life. Ares, however, hasn't given up on her, and he tries his best to return her to the dark path that she followed as his greatest disciple."

She looked at Patroclese and offered him a half smile, "None of that is questioned by the Amazons. They've had their own brushes with the whims of the gods, so they won't be sceptical over that. No, the problem here is that Xena's reputation as a cold blooded killer is too well known, and the fact that she unleashed her might upon them may well have scared them enough to make them forget all the good she has done for them as well."

"Look," Patroclese said taking her arm, "We might as well sit down. We don't know how long the Elder's will be, so we might as well be comfortable, and here's as good a place as any. We've got it to ourselves at the moment." So the pair took seats at the table where Xena had sat with Gabrielle during the hearing and continued the discussion.

"Alright," the healer began, "lets take it as read that the gods played a part in this whole affair." He looked at her with a slight frown of concern, "You really gave birth to a half goddess, and then abandoned her?"

A look of loss and hurt came into Gabrielle's eyes. She really hated talking about something that had caused both her and Xena such pain, but since the story was now common knowledge amongst the Amazons, and Patroclese was fast becoming a friend, she felt she needed to explain her actions, "Patroclese, I know it's hard for you to understand, but although Hope was my child she was always her father's tool. I was blinded to that when she was born. Even after Hope killed her first victim when she was but a few candlemarks old, I couldn't see the evil in her. Xena did. And she wanted to kill her."

The bard wiped a tear from her cheek that escaped through her tightly wound emotions, "I felt I had to protect my baby. Xena doesn't stop once she makes her mind up about something. The only way for me to save Hope was to convince Xena that she was already dead, and that meant I had to abandon her." Her eyes were red with tears she refused to shed, "If I had let Xena kill Hope, so much hurt and suffering would never have had to happen."

They sat silently for some while, Gabrielle lost in her tormented memories, the healer worrying over the conundrum that he had found himself spectator to. - Everything has become so complicated, - he mused. - From the time I met up with Xena until now, I've done nothing but stumble from one scrape into another. I wonder if their lives are always like this? -

Looking across at the tense bard, he asked a question that had been puzzling him, "This other Goddess ... Callisto? Why does she figure in the story?" he asked.

"Callisto was once a mortal. She was everything that Xena once was, cold, uncaring, deadly, ruthless, but where Xena always had a spark of humanity in her soul, Callisto was eaten up by the desire for revenge. She has been Xena's most deadly enemy for a long time. Her hatred consumes her and she will do anything to destroy Xena ... and me. She murdered my husband, Perdicus, and she played her part in the death of Solon," she told him with little emotion, then a thought flickered in her mind and she said in an absent way "I'm not sure if Xena hates her more, or Caesar." She thought about that for a moment, "No I think Xena feels responsible for Callisto, feels pity for her, perhaps, angry that she tries to hurt me and those Xena holds dear, definitely ... but her real hatred belongs to Caesar."

Patroclese looked confused, "What's Caesar got to do with this?"

"Nothing," the bard told him, "Maybe everything." the bard seemed to get a distant look in her eye, "Caesar is so responsible for so much that has happened in Xena's life. If he hadn't had her crucified, and her legs broken, all those years ago, so much of the evilness that she has been responsible for, may never have had to happen. In a very real way, Caesar moulded Xena into what she became and must share the blame for her actions."

"Why was she crucified?" he asked, a hint of concern in his eyes. He had formed a grudging liking for the warrior woman he had heard such bloodthirsty, evil, tales about. In the time he had been with her he had gotten the chance to see that there was so much more to her than the stories could ever convey. - She is. - he admitted to himself, - the most enigmatic person I have ever met. -

"She captured Caesar years ago when they were both very young. Xena, in truth, was not much more than a child. She'd cut her teeth on fighting off a Warlord who attacked her village, and was determined not to allow her family and friends to be threatened again." Gabrielle sighed as she thought about what she knew of those early years in Xena's rise to infamy.

"She lost sight of her objectives though, and she became something of a Warlord and a pirate herself, although she only attacked targets that threatened her village. Caesar was picked up on such a raid. She ransomed him for a huge amount, but while he was with her she fell in love with him, and he made her believe that he felt the same way. He promised her that he'd find her again once he was free. He did, but he came as an enemy, not a lover. He had her, and all her men who survived his attack, crucified. He also had her legs smashed as she hung on the cross."

She looked Patroclese in the eye, "She escaped with the help of a friend, but even then Caesar wouldn't let her go. He sent soldiers after her to kill her. They managed to kill Xena's friend before the Warrior Princess killed them, but that final betrayal was enough to turn her into the murderous monster that you've probably heard about in the stories. She wasn't more than sixteen or seventeen summers old at the time and after that fateful encounter she went from being misguided into a dedicated killer of any and all who stood in her path. So you can see, Caesar has much to answer for."

Gabrielle fell silent for a while lost in a world of painful memories that the hearing had brought crashing back to the forefront of her mind. At last she came back to the present, she looked at Patroclese and said, "You know, you haven't answered my question. How do you think it went?"

Patroclese frowned into thoughtfulness, his long fingers tracing the patterns of the wood grained table top, "It will depend if the Elders want to take mitigation into account," the healer said after some thought. "You built a good case to show that Xena was not fully in control of herself, and you backed it well by showing that Xena had proven to be a friend of the Amazons in the past and present, but none of that will matter if the Elders decide that it bears no relation to the charges."

"Ephiny says that the Elders are all fair minded and not part of any faction, so we can hope that they'll take all the circumstances into consideration," the bard sighed in a worried way.

"Did I hear someone taking my name in vain," asked Ephiny cheerfully, as she returned to the meeting hall with a tray of fresh bread, cheese, fruit and a jug of wine. She saw Gabrielle looking at the food, "I thought you might be hungry." she told them with a grin.

"I'm too worried to eat," the bard told her, just moment before her stomach growled to betray her.

"Eat!" Ephiny instructed, slapping an apple into her hand, "Xena will have my hide if I let you waste away."

Gabrielle looked about to protest, but the apple did look inviting, so she obediently bit into it with a satisfying crunch. She gave Ephiny a sideways look as the Amazon sat on the table beside her, "You know, I'm gonna have Tasha assign you full time duties as a meal server," she grinned.

"Ha!" retorted the Regent, "Who d'ya think you'd get to run the Amazons in my place, then?" she smirked.

Gabrielle's grin faded slightly, "You may have a point Eph," she said softly.

The blonde Amazon gave her friend a worried look, "Hey, I was only joking," she told her softly.

The bard nodded her head solemnly, "I know you were, but I don't think I've really thanked you for taking on the burden, and you've done such a good job here." She looked up at the Regent, drew a deep breath and said, "So thank you, Ephiny, for all you've done for me."

Not quite sure what to say, the blonde attempted to lighten the suddenly very heavy atmosphere, "Hey no problem, but you owe me big-time, ya know?"

Understanding what her friend was trying to do, Gabrielle forced a half grin onto her face and asked, "What do you have in mind?"

Ephiny shot an impish look at her, "I don't know. How about you take over running this place for a moon and let me go and have a holiday?"

Her Queen looked back at her with mock terror in her eyes, "Do you know what Xena would do to me if I agreed to that?" she demanded playfully.

The Regent smiled back at her, "Gods forbid," she laughed, "how about we make it a half moon, then? Your warrior shouldn't be able to object too hard at staying in one place for that length of time."

"Hah!" responded Gabrielle, a real smile shining from her expressive features, "Xena doesn't like staying in one place more than a couple of days .. fourteen would be pure torture."

"Well that will be paybacks for my arm then," snickered Ephiny.

Taking another large bite of the fruit, the bard's mind turned back to the present situation. "How long do you think they'll take to decide?" she asked around a mouthful of apple.

"I don't know. But I think the longer they take the better," Ephiny answered, adding the explanation, "Tarelle was certain that things were cut and dried. She had all the evidence of the attack, after all. But the longer the Elders take, the more it means that they're considering your arguments."

"How do you feel about her now, Eph?" asked the bard softly.

"I think .. I really hope .. that you're right, Gabrielle. For all Xena has done for me in the past, I hope the Elders agree with you. Xena's suffered enough, is still suffering, I think," she smiled as the bard squeezed her arm in gratitude for her words.

Patroclese finished chewing on a piece of cheese and asked, "How long do these things normally take?"

Ephiny considered a moment, "That's difficult to answer. Nothing like this has ever really come up before. Normally though, in straight forward cases, the judgement is usually delivered within a candlemark."

"How long has it been now?" asked Gabrielle who had lost all track of time. She reached for some of the bread and cheese.

"The Elders have been deliberating for about five candlemarks now." the Amazon told her.

"No wonder I'm hungry," admitted the bard.

"I suggest that you go home and get some rest," encouraged Ephiny. "The Elders could be a long time yet."

Patroclese nodded his agreement. He could see that Gabrielle was running on nervous tension, and felt that she should at least try to take a nap while they waited, as he knew that she had got little sleep the night before. Knowing that she hadn't got anything else she could do made up the bard's mind, although she privately felt that she was too restless to relax.

Patroclese and Ephiny walked with her back to her house. They passed the gaol on the way and Gabrielle stopped saying, "I think I'll go and talk to Xena for a while."

Ephiny took a grip on her arm and told her, "You won't be allowed to see her, Gabrielle. She's under the authority of the Elders, and no one but Solari is allowed to communicate with her. And she can only do so with express orders from the Elders."

Gabrielle relented and allowed the pair to guide her back to her hut, where she forced herself to lay down on her bed, and much to her surprise soon found herself asleep.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Xena struggled with the urge to break something .. namely the Amazon who kept prodding her. Keeping her temper with difficulty she made it back to the cell without resorting to bodily damaging anyone. That was probably a good thing as her surrounding guards looked tense and more than ready to subdue any hostile act from their prisoner.

When they reached the thick, stone walled, gaol, she was conducted through the solid, metal studded, oak door and down the short corridor to the cell that had been her lodgings for the last few days. The heavy iron door was opened and a shove propelled her through into the room. Keeping her balance with ease, Xena turned and channelled a burning look at the culprit, wiping the grin off the woman's' face with the menace that she projected. Behind the guard, stood a grim faced Malonda.

"Cut out the rough stuff, Cassie!" warned the Head of Scouts.

Xena just glared at them as the door was swung shut, bolts were shot home and the lock tumblers turned over to the pressure of the key. Sighing, she twisted her wrists irritably in her manacles, moved across to her cot and sat down to brood over the situation.

She knew that Gabrielle had done the best job possible in defending her, but the fact remained that she had killed two Amazon warriors, she had assaulted Ephiny and she had abducted the Amazon Queen with the intent of killing her. There had been mitigating circumstances .. the whole unedifying episode was full of so many unique occurrences that it was impossible to believe that something like that could take place without divine interference. But, however you looked at it, she knew herself to be guilty of the actions .. and so did everyone else. The question was, what should she do about it?

- If they come back with a guilty verdict and a death sentence, do I accept it? - she pondered.

It was very tempting to leave the problems of her life behind her. Tartarus awaited her and all of her past misdeeds would finally get the punishment that they deserved. It would also break her free of the problem of Caesar and leave Gabrielle to live her life in safety. But then, the problem with allowing that was Gabrielle.

- I promised not to leave her again, - she acknowledged guiltily.

There were other problems to consider too. Xena knew that if the Amazons should decide to execute her, then her bard would find it impossible to remain in the Nation. She would see the Amazon's as responsible for her best friend's death, and would never be able to settle with them .. which meant, what would she do? She loved her family and home dearly, but had always found it far to restrictive for her, so returning there would not be a happy option for her. Athens and the Academy might provide the answer, but she'd already turned her back on that life once .. - Would she be able to settle to a life of study and teaching? -

She shook her head, - If they decide to execute me .. and I break out of here .. I can't take her with me. Caesar's not going to have gone away and it would be too dangerous for her to be around me. But ... I know she'd follow me, - her mind worried at the problem.

Unable to sit still any longer, she started to pace the cell, the same problems swirling around in her mind as she tried to find someway .. anyway .. out of the situation she found herself in. - C'mon, warrior, think! Use your brain! You're supposed to be able to come up with a plan to tackle any situation! -

A mirthless grin slowly edged it's way onto her face and she stopped pacing as the seeds of an idea germinated in her fertile mind, - Oh yeah. If there's no other way .. if they condemn me to death, then that's what I'll do! -

Chapter Ten: The Verdict
It was well into the early candlemarks of darkness when the summons came to return to the meeting hall. Gabrielle felt sandy eyed and no better for the long, deep, sleep that she had slipped into. She had been one of the first notified that the Elders had reached their decision, and so was back in her chair as the hall filled up and Xena was brought back to the chamber under escort.

"You okay?" asked the bard, as Xena took her seat next to her friend.

"Fine, " assured the Warrior Princess, gritting her teeth as the leg irons were locked back around her ankles. "I'll just be glad when all of this is over," she told the blonde, and allowed the faintest of smiles to flicker as the bard squeezed her hand in support.

Once the Amazons had taken their places on benches that stood in serried tiers around the edges of the meeting hall, the Elders returned to Solari's summons, and took their places on the dias behind the table there. They swept their eyes over the assembled Amazons and finally came to rest upon their Queen and her accused Champion. When silence had been attained, the five elders of the Council of Judgement took their seats, followed by everyone else in the hall.

Tarelle looked malevolently across at both Xena and Gabrielle. She exuded confidence, almost as if she already knew the decision that the Elders had arrived at. Gabrielle knew that was impossible, but she was feeling insecure and was looking for trouble where perhaps none existed. The muted whispers and shuffling from the spectators did little to soothe her fragile nerves, either.

Solari moved to a position in front of the dias and rapped her ceremonial staff on the wooden floor three times. The sound echoed through the hall which became suddenly still and silent in anticipation of the announcement that was about to be made, "Quiet!" ordered the Amazon, unnecessarily, but it was part of the ritual of judgement, "All quiet for the decision of the Elders!" she declared in loud, ringing tones, "Amazons stand to hear what has been decided!"

The entire gathering within the hall stood attentively to await the pronouncement of the Elders. Xena stood with the lazy grace that characterized all of her normal movements. Gabrielle could never work out how something so smooth and fluid could appear so threatening at the same time.

When quiet had descended once more over the hall, Amara delivered the Elder's findings to the expectant crowd, "This particular issue has proven to be very complex," she began in a strong voice that carried without difficulty through the hall. "It is far from the simple issue that the charges appeared to present." She looked thoughtful for a moment before continuing, "We hold it as truth that Xena has often aided the Amazon Nation, even though we haven't dwelt upon these issues, it is a well known fact that the Warrior Princess saved the Nation from a senseless, and potentially totally self destructive, war with the Centaurs, as well as ensuring that Valesca, in her madness, didn't lead our people to annihilation. But however important her past actions may have been to the continuity of our people, those actions cannot be used as a broom to brush over the wrongs that she has committed here. The deaths, injuries, abduction and treason are all issues that are required to be addressed."

The statement caused an outbreak of loud mutterings amongst the assembly. Tarelle grinned smugly at the bard and the Warrior Princess triumphantly, certain of her successful prosecution of the case. Gabrielle's face bore a worried look as she began to feel more uncertain about the outcome, while Xena stood in stoic silence, almost apart from the whole affair.

Amara continued as the noise abated, "However, what cannot be cast aside is the interference from the Gods. This has become a problem that occurs far too often in the affairs of humankind. So often, the Gods seek to use us as pawns in their games, and the victims of that interference .. whether they be an ordinary person living their lives as best they may, or one of the mighty, whose lives and actions affect those around them .. suffer enough through the God's whims, without us further inflicting penalties upon them."

The murmurs and noise were even louder this time as the assembled crowd discussed and digested what Amara had said. It was Gabrielle's turn to shoot a look of vindication at Tarelle, and the bard could plainly see the disbelief and bright outrage etched on the redhead's features. Feeling a little more confident, the blonde waited impatiently for the noise to die down once again. She glanced at Xena, who remained stoney faced as she waited for the hearing to play out.

Once again Amara continued as the sound level died, "In this case, it seems that more than one God could have been causing turmoil within the lives of many, Xena included. Evidence given makes it clear that both Callisto and Hope sought to destroy, and cause torment, to not only Xena, but all those present at the Centaur gathering. However, did all those who suffered losses react as the Warrior Princess did? Argument has been given that Ares intruded himself upon her grief, distorting her perceptions. However, we have no proof of this. Queen Gabrielle has told us this was so, having undoubtedly heard the tale from the defendant, but there is no one to corroborate that meeting, making it suspect in the eyes of the law."

Again Amara was forced to wait as the gathering argued amongst itself about the validity of Ares role in the affair. Tempers rose and it wasn't until Solari demanded order, punctuating her demands with the striking of her staff on the floor, that some semblance of control was restored. "Any more of these interruptions and I will start ejecting people from the hall," the Guard Captain warned sternly, glaring at the assembly with intense grey eyes.

"Another aspect," Amara resumed, "that has to be taken into consideration, is the fact that Xena saved the lives of Solari and Alexa, even though she was already under restraint and had been advised that she would be tried for her criminal acts. Her actions here, although they can in no way be used to excuse her killing of Mariss and Denara, do show that whatever drove her to attack the village, had nothing to do with animosity towards the Amazon people."

That raised little in the way of speculation from the assembly as they waited to see where Amara intended to go from there, and were mindful of Solari's warning, "Everyone is well aware of the blood stained reputation belonging to Xena, the Destroyer of Nations," Amara continued, "Her propensity for violence and slaughter has been talked about for many years. Yet in recent times, she has also begun to redress those actions and she has begun to garner a reputation as a Champion of the People, someone who stands for the downtrodden and victimized. We see in Xena a woman of a deeply complex nature who is capable of performing acts of great evil or great good."

Again there was an electric buzz as this was discussed by the Amazons. The pro and anti-Xena factions began to loudly debate their standpoints, almost coming to blows as the arguments became more heated. Solari signalled her guards to move in and eject the loudest and most belligerent of the crowd in an attempt to restore proper order, while Tarelle looked elated. She was certain that the Elders must find Xena guilty: the whole of Amara's summary had looked at and then seemed to discard the defence that Gabrielle had given.

Gabrielle felt desolated. She had been so sure that the Elders would understand what had taken place once it had all been explained. - Surely they can't just dismiss it out of hand when everything had been so crucial to the events that had taken place here? - A glance at Xena showed her to be dispassionately observing the whole affair. - How can she remain so cool? - wondered the bard.

When Solari once more restored order to the hall, Amara finally got to the heart of the judgement, "As to the charges, we the Amazon Elders, find you, Xena of Amphipolis, guilty of causing the death and injury of Amazon sisters. The charges of abduction and Treason we feel to be misplaced. Queen Gabrielle has been returned to us alive and unharmed, and her feelings that those two charges should never have been made, we have decided to respect."

Tarelle had a sour look playing around her mouth, but her eyes gleamed with delight at the guilty sentence passed on the first part of the charge. She waited expectantly for the Elders decision on the punishment.

"We have adjudged you guilty of these crimes, even though we harbour reservations about the events that led up to them," Amara told the hushed crowd, "Our decision is, therefore, that you, Xena, should be banished from Amazon territories for a year and a day, on pain of imprisonment, should you return during this period. The sentence to be enforced from sundown tomorrow to allow you time to remove yourself from Amazon lands."

The hall erupted as the Amazons on both sides of the debate roared their opinions of the verdict. Tarelle looked ready to explode. She undoubtedly had wanted and expected the death penalty to be passed, and viewed banishment as little more than a slap on the wrists. She turned towards the Queen and her Champion and treated them to a glare full of hate and the promise of future retribution, before collecting her scrolls and stalking from the building.

Relief flooded through Gabrielle as she heard the pronouncement. Banishment was just about the lightest penalty that could have been imposed. She turned to Xena and gave her a long tight hug, overjoyed at the outcome to the case that she had feared would be far worse. Xena was uncomfortable with public displays of affection, although she was aware of the bard's need for such comfort, and so stood a little stiffly, but made no effort to disengage from her friend's embrace.

Gabrielle looked up into the Warrior Princess's face and beamed with delight, "Well, it's over with. Things are going to be okay."

Xena disentangled herself from the young woman's arms and waited while a guard released her from the leg restraints. Turning back to Gabrielle, she allowed a tight smile to light on her lips as she said, "I'm going to have to get my things together and leave pretty soon." Two guards remained at her shoulders, and the manacles remained on her wrists. She was a convicted felon of Amazon justice and would remain under restraint until she had been escorted from Amazon land.

"I know," replied the bard sombrely as she realized just how much she was going to miss the travel, the adventures, and most especially, her taciturn, unpredictable best friend.

"I'll send for you as soon as I can," promised Xena as they pushed through the still arguing crowds in the hall, ignoring those around them and the black looks thrown at them by Tarelle and her clique.

Patroclese and Ephiny managed to catch up to the pair as they finally got out of the hall. The Regent, greatly daring, gave the warrior a quick hug before pulling back, brown eyes meeting blue, saying all that needed to be said between them. The healer had a cheerful grin for both of them as they headed for Gabrielle's house, to collect the weapons and belongings that Xena had entrusted to the bard's keeping.

As they walked Ephiny told them, "I don't think that I'd want to go through that again. And it wasn't me on trial." she smiled.

"Well if it had gone totally wrong, there was always the 'Rite of Truth'," Gabrielle returned lightly.

Ephiny stopped and looked hard at the bard, "Gods, but that would have to have been a last resort," she said in a shocked voice.

"That's why I didn't bring it up before," Gabrielle told her. "And death would have pretty much been the last resort," she pointed out.

"What's the Rite of Truth?" demanded Patroclese, as they walked on, quickly arriving at Gabrielle's door.

"It's where the convicted felon may attempt to prove her innocence by force of arms," Xena told him as she pushed the door open.

"Well, why didn't we go straight to that?" asked the healer, "I doubt that anyone here could beat you one on one."

"That's just the point," Ephiny told him, "She'd have to beat the twenty best Amazon warriors in one fight, and not only that, but the fighting takes place over a stake filled pit covered by about ten poles. Any of the Amazon's may move onto or off of the poles at any time during the Rite. But the woman undertaking the rite, must not touch the ground until she has defeated all of her opponents."

"That would have made things interesting," Xena said dryly.

"You knew about the Rite?" asked Gabrielle.

"I was ready to demand it if Tarelle had got her way with the sentencing," Xena told her with a smile, "I was kinda hoping that Tarelle would have been one of the warriors that I got to face."

"But that's a barbaric way of deciding things," object Patroclese, "It wouldn't have been fair. It hardly supports the innocent, just the strong. Has anyone ever gained their freedom by winning?" he demanded of Ephiny, as Xena began to gather her things.

"Nooo," she told him slowly, "I don't think anyone ever has." She threw a glance at Xena and grinned, "But I bet there would have been a first time if she'd tried it."

"Oh, c'mon!" Patroclese said incredulously, "I know she's good ... but is anyone that good?"

"Yes!" came the emphatic reply from both the bard and Ephiny at the same time.

"Look," said the blonde Amazon, "I'll go and get Xena some supplies. She'll need some food for the journey." Gabrielle gave her a grateful look.

Patroclese, having shook off his stunned disbelief, began to hurriedly gather his own belongings together.

"Where do you think you're going?" demanded Xena as she looked up and saw the healer's sudden activity.

"I thought I'd go with you as far as the nearest town,' Patroclese answered quickly, "I think I've seen enough of the Amazons," he told them suppressing a shudder, "And I need to get somewhere where I can start to earn my living again." Xena looked distinctly doubtful about the idea, so the healer added, "You know I won't slow you down and I can defend myself if necessary."

Handing her weapons and armour over to the guards that still shadowed her, Xena gave him a brief nod of agreement before, checking through her saddlebags to make sure that she had everything that she needed.

Ephiny returned at that moment with the promised provisions, "Cheese, fruit and trail bread," she said apologetically, "I didn't have time to find anything else.

"Don't worry," Xena told her, "I'm not going to have time to cook."

"Hrmmph?" coughed Gabrielle, thinking about the Warrior Princess's culinary abilities.

"Be nice," Xena told her with a slight quirky smile.

"Um. Patroclese," Ephiny said, noting the healer had got his own gear packed and making the right guess about it's meaning, "If you're going with Xena, why don't you bring her saddlebags and I'll take you down to the stable to get the horses."

Patroclese looked a question at the Amazon, who raised her eyebrows and gestured towards the two friends, "Oh! Right ... yeah," he agreed, suddenly falling in to the fact that Xena and Gabrielle probably wanted privacy to say their farewells. He led the way to the door as Xena threw Ephiny a look of gratitude.

"You two can wait outside until she's ready," the Regent instructed the guards.

"But we're supposed to stay with her," objected one of them.

"Look, she won't go anywhere without her weapons, so just do as I say," growled Ephiny very definitely invoking her authority.

When the door closed behind the Amazons and the healer, the bard and the Warrior Princess stood in silence, neither really knowing how to, overcome the awkwardness that had suddenly risen. Gabrielle finally took the bull by the horns saying, "You know I hate this, don't you?"

"I know," agreed Xena moving to the bard's side to give her a hug, "but it'll only be for a short while." She could feel the emotion building in the younger woman and so pushed her back to arms length and told her lightly, "Hey, look at it this way. You've got a chance to put in some intensive training with the Amazon staff masters. Who know's, by the time we get back together, you might just be able to show me a thing or two."

"As if," laughed Gabrielle sadly. She looked steadily up into the blue eyes that usually appeared so cold .. at least for other people. The bard knew that she was one of the honoured few that got to see some of the soft warmth that was normally shielded by the ice. "You be careful," she warned seriously, "Without me to keep an eye on you, you're bound to get into all kinds of trouble."

Xena chuckled throatily, "That'll make a change."

"I mean it Xena," the bard insisted, "Caesar has it in for you. Don't be too overconfident about it. You're ahead on points, but he's not going to like that and he'll want to even the score."

"I know, I know," The Warrior Princess assured her, "and I promise I'll be careful." she attempted a reassuring smile.

"That'll be the day," grumped the bard, knowing her friend far too well to believe that.

"You just make sure that you stay close to the village," Xena told her in return, "No wandering off on your own."

"I know," Gabrielle told her, "he wants to get at you through me. I'll stay tucked up safe like some chick in a nest," she said in a martyred tone.

"Good!" Xena told her with heavy emphasis. She lifted her manacled hands over the bard's head and pulled the bard into another hug and kissed her lightly on the top of the head. "I'll send Joxer with a message as soon as I get back from Narbonensis," she said as she moved apart from the bard "He'll let you know if it's safe to join me and where I'll be." For a brief, poignant moment, she stood looking at Gabrielle, seeming to imprint her features onto her memory, "I've got to go," she said all too soon as she turned for the door.

"Xena," called the bard as the Warrior Princess reached for the latch. When the dark haired woman turned back to look, Gabrielle said softly, "I love you."

Xena smiled, one of those stunning smiles that changed the whole character of her face and was so rarely seen by anyone, including the bard, "I love you too, Gabrielle," she told her and then she turned and was gone.

Chapter 11 - 13


Return to Destiny's Dominion - Main Page

Return to The Bard's Corner