Destiny’s Dominion
Chapter Forty Four: Oh, Gods!

"What's the matter, bro'?" asked the bubbly blonde as she materialised in a sheen of glistening light, "You look like when you lost your favourite toy and discovered the one you stole to replace it wasn't near as good."

Ares forced himself to control his startlement as he turned to face his flighty sister who flounced, as ever, in the scandalous pink garment that hid nothing and promised everything, "None of your business," he growled moodily, as he watched Aphrodite tour around his abode, trailing delicately sensuous fingers over the deadly weapons of war that decorated the place.

Ignoring her, Ares stumped over to his throne-like chair and thumped into it in a heap, hanging his left leg over the arm to present his visitor with an image of arrogant power. "What do you want 'Dite?" he demanded belligerently, "You here to gloat, or is it just my turn to suffer from your inanity?"

She grinned at him, turning on the full power of her dumb blonde act, "Hey, can't a girl visit her brother once in a while?" she asked with a brainless giggle, "I mean," she added, "especially since he's barely set foot on Olympus since that business with Strife and ...." an enraged growl brought her up short, as she looked at him and registered the snarl on his face. "Oh get over it will you!" she chided.

"I'm not exactly welcome around our brethren at the moment," he commented acidly, "or are you so busy playing matchmaker to a bunch of mortals that you failed to register the fact?"

She looked closely at her brother and noticed the signs of despondency that underlay his arrogant moodiness, "Look Are'," she said in a far more gentle tone as she moved to his side and touched his hand, which he drew away from her with a petulant lack of grace, "You've been shut up in this mausoleum of yours for far too long. What you need is a hobby, something to give you back a bit of interest in life."

He stared at her from under hooded brows, "I'm not interested 'Dite! There's nothing out there for me to enjoy."

"What!" she demanded, hands on hips her voice sounding incredulous, "All those wars an' things going on and you're not interested!" She climbed up on the dias, placed a hand to his brow and ignored his attempts to try and shake her off, "Well you're not sick, so that takes us back to you being a spoiled kid who's lost his favourite toy. So c'mon, Ares, snap out of it, get a life, 'kay?"

"Listen, sis. Athena's quite happy playing soldiers in my absence, and Zeus has made it very clear that I'm a disgrace to the family, so just what in Tartarus is the point?!" he demanded, his voice rising from a dull roar to crashing thunder as it crescendoed.

"My, my, we are in a funk, aren't we?" noted a silky feminine voice reinforced by just a hint of steel.

"What is this?" demanded Ares finding his patience being sorely eroded by the sudden appearance of another sister, "What do you want, Artemis?" he yelled unsociably, "I've not been messing with your Amazon's and that's about the only reason that forces you to pay me a visit?"

He watched as the new arrival turned to Aphrodite. She was tall, lithe with a sleekly muscular frame, had curling, chestnut coloured hair and sea green eyes. She carried herself with the elegant poise of a hunter. Which, of course, was exactly what she was.

"Have you told him yet?" Artemis demanded of her sister.

Aphrodite twisted her fingers in the fabric of her gown and pouted as she answered, "Not yet. He's in such a bad mood he's really not about to listen to anything I say to him."

"What are you two talking about," demanded Ares, "C'mon, c'mon, hurry up and tell me so that we can get this little family reunion over with."

Artemis shook her head in disgust, "Really, Aphrodite, you've got to try and concentrate on things. It's bad enough having one member of the family lost in his own world of sulks and temper tantrums, without having an airhead floating around on some fluff ball as well."

"Cut that out, Artemis. If you weren't so worried that he'd just toss a fireball at you when you first showed up, I wouldn't be here at all. I'm doing this as a favour for you, my sister," she pointed out, her words dripping with sarcasm, "I can always haul my butt outta here. I've got much better things to do with my time." she patted a vagrant curl back into place

Ares was even more bemused by this exchange and asked his question firmly and loudly to try and cut through the squabble, "Exactly what are you two here for?!" .... And got absolutely no response from the two goddesses.

"Listen bubble brain," snarled Artemis insultingly, "All you had to do was come in here and mention Xena, and muscles would have even left a devoted conquering army in the lurch to hear what you had to say!"

"Xena?" Ares queried.

"Listen here dear, or should I say deer?" Aphrodite returned insultingly to her sister, "Just because you've got your leathers in a tangle over the warrior babe and her irritating friend, doesn't mean I have to share your interests. I came here outta the goodness of my heart, and I can see that my attendance is no longer required, so I'm outta here. You can tell bro' all he needs to know."

"APHRODITE!" yelled Ares losing his temper.

"Later," she grinned and blew him a kiss as she shimmered into nothingness.

"Artemis, for the love of Zeus! Will you tell me what all this is about and what does it have to do with Xena!" snarled the God of War as he turned on his sister.

She gave him a considering look before saying, "You really don't know, do you? I thought you kept a special watch on what the Warrior Princess was doing."

His eyes turned menacing, "Just tell me what you've got to say about Xena, and what in Hades name is your interest in her anyway."

Artemis's eyes also took on a threatening cast, "Well brother mine, one of your toy soldiers captured your ex-pet warlord and kidnapped my Amazon Queen. Both of them have been suffering from their captivity, although your darling Xena has taken the brunt of the beatings. Did you know she almost died a couple of moons ago?"

"Will you just tell me what's going on, without speaking in these cryptic riddles, Artemis, or I swear I'll send the biggest baddest warlord against your Amazons that I can find!" he threatened.

Artemis considered retorting in kind, but decided that filling Ares in on the situation would be far more telling, "Caesar captured Xena using a trick nearly three moons ago. He's had her chained, beaten, tormented and near death on a couple of occasions since. I wouldn't have worried, but he also took Gabrielle, my Amazon Queen, and had her beaten too. So I want you to use your influence with him to back off!" his sister told him bluntly.

"Well, well, well," Ares almost purred, "Xena's in the hands of Caesar ... again. I wonder if she's ready to listen to reason now."

"You never know your luck, Ares," she baited him, "But if Caesar gets her killed, your favourite hobby will be long past any way for you to tempt her back to your side. You need to get her away from him."

"Not that easy, my dear," he told her as his brain whirled around the situation. "Caesar tends to go his own way ... Oh I'm pleased enough with what he accomplishes, but he doesn't always listen to my ... 'suggestions'."

"Can't you control any of your people?" she demanded scathingly.

"He's too good at what he does for me to crush out his adherence in an overt act against him and, in his way, he wants Xena as much as I do. No I'll try to get her to pledge herself back to me, if she did that it would be worth losing Caesar, but I'll work on another way to release her as well, just as a back up ... something that comes from a direction away from me." He stroked his right hand along his beard as he thought, "If anyone's going to toy with Xena, or kill her, it will be me. In my time, when I'm ready to," he muttered absently.

"What about ..." began Artemis only to be rudely cut off by her brother.

"Haven't got time now. Been great chatting with you and 'Dite. Must do it again some time, sweet cheeks. Now why don't you go back and play with your Harlots and let me work a few things out."

"Ares you're absolutely insufferable," she shouted at him in outrage.

"Bye," he waved at her, blowing her a kiss, as she vanished in a shimmering green and gold haze.

"Time I took a grip of things," chuckled Ares to himself, enjoying the prospect of the diversion, as he sauntered across to a table and waved a hand across the waters of the scrying bowl that rested there. "Xena, Xena, Xena!" he chided to the reflection of his recalcitrant ex-warlord as he saw her hanging upside down from a ships mast, "What have you got yourself into now?" He laughed heartily, waved a hand and disappeared in a bluish silver light.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Artemis re-materialized in Aphrodite's sumptuously splendid apartments, "Well," demanded the Goddess of Love, "Did he go for it?"

"Hook line and sinker," grinned her sister as she stalked across to where the other woman was standing.

"Ohhhhh goody," screeched the blonde with evident delight.

"You can knock off the dumb blonde act now, Dite," grinned her sister, "It really doesn't do anything for me, or for you for that matter."

"Ah but it's so useful when I'm dealing with a man," she laughed, a rich full throated sound.

"I can't believe that they don't see through that act," Artemis laughed with her.

"Well, what's he going to do?" asked Aphrodite as she lounged back on a chaise longue.

"I've no idea, but anything has got to be better than letting him curdle in his own juices," came the reply, "Besides, Athena's getting way too big for her boots. It's time Ares returned to his responsibilities, and if he can help Xena while he's at it I'll be just as pleased."

"You know," grinned the blonde goddess, "One of these days he's gonna figure out that there's more than one of us whose interested in the big bad warrior babe. It's only because she has totally no respect for any of us that she hasn't been claimed as chosen by any number of the family."

"Well no one better get too many ideas. I want Xena bound to the Amazons, and as one of my own chosen." She gave a feral grin, "And I intend to get her too ... eventually."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Caesar tried to sit patiently as Patroclese ministered to the sunburn, on his body and bruising around his neck, with some soothing salves. They were still awaiting the guard to return, with the keys to the manacles that held him, so that his broken wrist could be cared for and set. Feeling sick with the pain, his face was a pallid white, beneath the burnt red, that reflected the agony of his fractured wrist and the swollen flesh that was being painfully cut by the metal of the cuff.

A knock at the door brought a curt, "Come!" from his lips, and Flaccus entered with the key which he handed to Patroclese who worked quickly to remove the restraints, although he took extra care as he opened the one around the broken bone. "Well what have you done with her?" he demanded of the Centurion.

"She's hanging by her ankles from the yard arm for the night. I thought you'd want to determine punishment and watch its execution in the morning, sir," offered Flaccus in explanation.

"Very good. I'll give you your orders about that on the morrow." His brown eyes grew hard, "What of the guard that was sent to escort her to my cabin? They knew how dangerous she is and they failed to secure her properly before bringing her into an open, chaotic, situation."

"The Optio, Lucius Cato, died bravely leading a diversion squad on a boarding mission against the Carthaginian pirates. He volunteered to lead the mission knowing it was certain death, but felt that his life was forfeit for his failure anyway," Flaccus reported. "The other five guards are under arrest awaiting you decision upon their fate, sir," informed the centurion neutrally.

"They'll be executed in the morning," Caesar informed him flatly, "The maniple must understand that Xena is to be given absolutely no room to pull any of her stunts. I didn't go to all the trouble of planning her capture to allow her to break free at will. Is that understood?"

"Perfectly, sir," acknowledged Flaccus. He and the soldiers concerned had expected no less.

"Good now get out of here so Patroclese can do his job," ordered Caesar testily.

Flaccus saluted and left the cabin as the healer pushed a cup of water and herbs into his master's hand, "Drink this, it will help with the pain."

Caesar swallowed the brew and grimaced at the bitter taste, "Why do all medicines taste so foul?" he growled, "Is it a law in some healer's code that nothing that doesn't taste like rancid fish guts should be used?"

Patroclese allowed himself a soft smile, "Something like that, my Lord. My teacher always told me that if the medicine doesn't taste bad then it won't do it's job."

Caesar grunted as the herbs began to take effect and started to relax him, "Thought it must be something like that," he gave the healer a long look, "Well are you ready to get this over with?"

Patroclese had been waiting for some of the swelling to go down, which the removal of the manacle cuff had greatly facilitated. He laid out the splints and bandages that he was going to require on the desk and, once he was certain that the herbs were doing their task, he gripped his patient's arm and looked into his eyes, "Ready?" he asked.

"As I'll ever be," agreed his master.

Bracing himself, Patroclese grasped Caesar's arm at the elbow and took his hand, then began to pull and twist until he heard the bone grate back into alignment. Beards of perspiration decorated Caesar's brow while the healer set the wrist and he couldn't contain a scream of pain as the injury was manipulated. Satisfied that he'd got the bone back into its proper position, Patroclese took the splints and bandaged them into place, before settling a sling around his master's neck and easing the injured arm into it, "Try not to use it," he advised, "Give it time to heal properly, or you might cause yourself some problems."

Caesar nodded his understanding, before he gave Patroclese a quizzical look, "Aren't you going to try and plead Xena's case this time?" he asked, knowing that the healer had previously done his best to limit the damage done to the slave.

Patroclese rolled up the bandages he hadn't used and set them in his medical kit, "Xena stepped over the bounds with what she did. You could not allow her to go unpunished for that. It would set a bad example amongst the men. Yet I think, as you still want her alive, you will have to temper how far you go," conceded the healer softly.

Caesar had already got that in mind, "Could she withstand fifty lashes?" he asked the healer intently.

Patroclese considered, "Almost certainly. She is far stronger than anyone else I have ever met. If anyone could, it would be her."

"What if they were to be separated into two separate punishments of twenty five? You could treat the injuries after the first session and then the second batch could be administered the following day," considered Caesar.

"That would increase her chances of survival, my Lord. But even she will need time to recover from that beating, and she's going to need my skills to insure that she doesn't get an infection or fever, so that you lose her that way," explained Patroclese unhappily.

"Very well then," decided his master, "Xena can't be allowed to get away with this, and casual punishments are not fitting for this particular crime. It will serve as an example to the troops as well as to my reluctant slave!"

"Do you need me for anything else, my Lord?" enquired the healer solicitously.

"No Patroclese, I'll be fine. Thank you for attending to me," dismissed Caesar absently.

"Should I check on Xena, my Lord?" the blonde man questioned again.

"No Patroclese," repeated his master a far harder voice, "She hasn't come to any real harm yet, she'll keep until after the whipping in the morning."

As my Lord commands," agreed Patroclese reluctantly, bowing deeply before making his exit.

As the door closed behind the healer, Caesar heard a deep, rich voice resonate from the shadows of the cabin, "My, my. After all this time holding her, you still can't control her."

Caesar swung around to confront the owner of the voice ready to call his guards in, "Who are you?" he demanded.

"Oh you know me, Julius," purred Ares as he moved into the light allowing Caesar to take in his large muscular form and the silver decorated, black leathers of the God of War.

"Mars," acknowledged the Roman, "What can I do for you?"

Ares took his place in a comfortable chair, crossed his right leg over his left and contemplated his chosen, "Let's just say that I'm looking up a few of my more favoured adherents ... checking on their progress, perhaps. And what do I find?" he asked raising a dark eyebrow at the arrogant human before him, "I find that one of my favourite generals has dared to lay hands on my favourite da ... um ... disciple." he corrected himself smoothly.

"Xena!" stated Caesar flatly.

"Xena," agreed Ares in a neutral tone. He fixed the Roman with a piercing gaze as he continued, "I want you to release her."

"No," came the stark reply, "She's mine. I've gone to too much trouble to take her to tamely let her go, even for you, oh great God of War."

Ares had expected the refusal, what he hadn't expected was the arrogant assurance with which it was delivered, "You question my command? You think to stand against me, oh puny mortal? I could make you beg to do my bidding. If it wasn't for me, your vaunted glory would be nothing ..."

"Not so," cut in Caesar fearlessly. "I know my destiny, Mars. With your backing, or without it, I would still be where I am today. Don't jeopardise our relationship over one woman. Xena's life is not in overt danger. She may not appreciate her current existence or what I do to her, but I will ensure she lives ... to serve me. And while she serves me, I will continue to serve you to the best of my ability."

"Are you trying to threaten me?" asked Ares dangerously, sitting forward in his chair, looking like a panther ready to spring.

"Not at all, my Lord God," answered Caesar politely, "I just think that you should know that if Xena should be removed from my hands by ... shall we say, divine interference, I am certain that one of your brethren would welcome my services and so be lauded for my conquests."

The Roman watched as Ares glowered at him while he digested this blatant piece of blackmail. Not sure what reaction to expect from the God, Caesar was surprised when the black clad figure threw back his head and laughed at the mortal's temerity. Finally, when his mirth had died, Ares looked at the man with humour still twinkling in his eyes, "It's a good job that I like you, Julius," he chuckled. "Any other man who had spoken to me in that way would now be taking the fast route to Hades domain." He stood up without warning and grabbed a handful of the Roman's tunic, "Still, let me make things quite clear. If you kill Xena, you will envy her death. She is mine, and the only person who gets to kill her is me," he told Caesar, shaking him lightly, "Understand?"

"As you say, Lord Mars, Xena's death is not on the agenda."

"Very well," smiled Ares releasing his hold, "And just to let you know .. I appreciate your good work. I admire a craftsman, and you are sooo good at what you do. Keep it up," he applauded, before vanishing in a scattering of silver blue light.

Caesar, sank unsteadily against his desk.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Not quite in the centre of Rome stood the magnificent edifice dedicated to the triumph of Mars Invictus, or Mars undefeated. Inside the towering portals were housed the battle standards of the conquered, the trophies of victory and the captured instruments of war. From here, Rome pulsed with the need to dominate the known world, to become master of all it surveyed .... And it was here that he came, climbing the marble steps of the portico and entering the temple through the massive doors that stood open to the faithful, even before the sun had risen over the sleeping city.

He strode across the tessellated floor that depicted scenes from the struggles Rome faced as it made itself great, ignoring both the art work and the priests, whom he brushed past without a moment's hesitation. They stood aside and watched the tall, stocky, blonde, armour clad, man with the flowing scarlet cape, make his way towards the altar. It was not their place to interfere with the man who rivalled Caesar for power in their city.

His eyes burned with a righteous anger as he replayed recent events in his mind. First he had received the news that Caesar had been scattering dinars like rose petals to gather information on the Warrior Princess. Next he had heard of the massive personal bounty that his rival had placed on the woman and her bard's heads. Then had come the disquietening news that Caesar had captured both Xena and Gabrielle, condemning them both to slavery for their crimes against the empire, - As was his right, - snarled the man, even though he hated to admit it. But what was far worse was the news that his adversary had concluded a treaty with the Gauls and, his spies assured him, managed to remove Verchinex from the scene entirely. That meant that Caesar was free to return to Rome and, with no trouble emanating from the Gauls, and no chance of Verchinex's name to stir the masses, it meant that the arrogant son of a bitch was free to woo the people of Rome and secure his position ahead of his rival.

What was worse, the man had made a fortune by using the Warrior Princess as a pit fighter. He now had enough dinars to buy Rome, and the blonde man had no illusions that the city wasn't for sale. Rome was the biggest whore in the known world and was willing to embrace anyone who could afford to purchase her favours.

The only good news that he had received was that Brutus had completely botched his task of escorting the bard, and two of her and Xena's friends, to be held safely within the confines of Caesar's palace. He was well aware of the current situation, that Brutus had men all around Rome scouring the countryside for the runaway slave and the men with her. It was also rumoured that there were two more men that Brutus was almost equally frantic to find. On top of all this, an Amazon delegation, including their Queen was due to arrive at any time. He had absolutely no idea what these women's connection to the situation was, but his acute political and honed battle senses told him that they were an interested party in the unfolding drama.

Therefore he had come to the temple to implore aid from Mars. He was, after all a regular worshipper of the God of War. He had paid homage on the battlefields and shed his blood for the greater glory of the Lord of Conflict. All he sought was a little divine guidance. For if he, Pompey the Magnus, couldn't coax Mars into aiding him, no mortal could.

As he reached the high altar, Pompey fell to his knees and then prostrated himself before his God. In his mind he cried out his petition and beseeched acknowledgement, - Oh Mighty God of War, Greatest of all of the Gods. Famed for your deeds in battle, your courage, your honour! Help me in this, my time of greatest need, guide me on the path to victory that I might serve you better yet! -

He awaited an answer, a sign, some signal that Mars had heard and acknowledged him. He waited in vain. Finally, after a candlemark's prostration, he arose from the chilling touch of the stone floor and stalked out of the temple the way he had come. Although he felt disappointment at being ignored, the exercise had not only been to seek the aid of Mars, but also to prove his religious devotion to the people of the city.

Outside, once more, in the hot early morning sun, Pompey leapt into the saddle of his great black warhorse and, looking the very image of the conquering hero, rode through the streets of Rome, accepting the adulation of the masses as his due, as he returned to his palace in the northern quarter of the city ahead of his personal guards.

When he arrived there, he threw the reins of his mount to the waiting stable hand and took the steps three at a time as he hurried back to the work that awaited him in his office. He had much to do before Caesar returned, and the news was that his adversary would be back in just a few short days. He marched past the sentries on duty outside his door and swung them closed behind himself. It was then that he felt the presence of another being.

Turning swiftly, he quickly located the shadowy form, but before he could raise his voice to call for the guards, a commanding, richly seductive, voice spoke saying, "You asked for my aid, " Ares stepped out into the bright space of the large well appointed room, "and I am a God who likes to give help to my faithful, when called upon to do so." He smiled as Pompey dropped to one knee before him and bowed his head.

"My Lord Mars," he answered, "I am but a humble servant, and am truly appreciative of the great honour that you do me by being here."

- Far more deferential, - approved Ares as he observed the Roman before him, - but just as stiff necked and arrogant as Caesar in his way. No wonder the two can't get along. - "Get up, man" he ordered and waited until Pompey had once more risen to his feet, "Just what is it you want from me?

Chapter Forty Five: First Arrivals

By the time they reached the Port of Rome, the Amazons had become far better than competent seamen. Nebula was quietly impressed with how quickly the woman warriors had picked up the rudiments of running a large ship and several of them showed such promise at being natural sailors that she'd have accepted them as part of her crew anytime, - Might even offer some of them the chance to sail with me permanently after all this is over, - she mused, as she turned the wheel to catch the fitful wind.

It had taken an uneventful half-moon to sail 'Wave Dancer' from Acanthus to Rome. During that time the pirate captain had been entertained by Amazon weapons training as Eponin put her warriors through their paces on the main deck at scheduled periods throughout the day. The training was gruelling and woe betide any Amazon who didn't match up to the Weapon Master's exacting standards and, Nebula had been surprised to note, that included the Regent herself.

She took a careful check on her bearings as she navigated the busy River Tiber, heading for the upper wharves that were reserved for the use of the higher echelon of Roman dignitaries and visiting officials from other states.

They had passed the lower port of Ostia, down at the mouth of the River about three candlemarks after dawn. Nebula had been conscious of the watch towers that flanked the river entrance and tried to memorize details of the port's defences, keeping very much in the background. This allowed Ephiny to deal with the harbour master's assistant, who had been ferried out to the ship to inspect their papers and inquire about their business. When the man realised that it was the expected embassy from the Amazons, he fell over himself in his eagerness to please.

They were cleared to pass and given instruction on where to berth the ship when they reached the upper harbour within the city itself. The pirate had listened closely to the directions, but kept carefully in the background. She didn't think it likely that anyone would recognise her here, but the situation was complicated and dangerous enough without that little twist being added to the mix.

With a clear passage ahead of her, Nebula allowed her gaze to drift towards Hercules who stood at the bow dressed in his loin cloth and ownership bands, having clothed himself in them, once more, when they had reached the entrance to the river.

- The man is more than impressive, - she grinned to herself, appreciating the way his muscles rippled under his smooth golden skin, - I wonder if he realises just what effect he's going to have on the matrons of Rome? - she almost laughed out loud at the thought.

She had been grateful for all of his help on the voyage as well. Being the only experienced sailor, other than herself, aboard the vessel, had meant that the two of them had had to share the responsibility of captaining the ship, - He makes a damn fine first officer, - she grinned, - Pity he's got those scruples. Being a pirate might suit him. -

With her and Hercules to instruct the Amazon's and give the necessary orders and guidance, the voyage had passed quickly without any major troubles to deal with. She had noted that there was a small dissident element amongst the women .. about eight of the Amazons kept entirely to themselves when not actively engaged in ships duties .. and most of the other warriors tended to keep a wary eye on them. Something was obviously amiss in that area, but equally obvious was the fact that it was a domestic matter, and she doubted anyone would appreciate her interference. She shrugged to herself, barked an order for the topmen to shorten sail as they neared their destination, and decided that so long as it didn't cause a problem with the smooth running of the ship, it really wasn't any of her business.

As 'Wave Dancer' slowly glided into position on the mooring spot she had selected, Nebula noticed that both Ephiny and Eponin had ducked below decks, - No doubt gone to prepare themselves for the Roman public, - she thought wryly, knowing that the initial plan was to stun the jaded pallets of the Roman elite with a taste of the exotic, barbarian splendour of the Amazon nation, - While everyone is chattering about superficial appearances, it might deflect anyone from getting too curious about what exactly we're doing here in the first place. Trade negotiations might wear a bit thin, although it's the only convincing cover story we could come up with, - acknowledged the pirate. - Well it stands a chance of working. I'm sure they'll have something else in mind if they need to cover themselves ... I hope! -

As soon as the ship stopped moving, those designated to handle the side ropes, leapt over the rails and secured 'Wave Dancer' to the mooring stakes. Nebula noticed that Hercules had also gone below deck, and wasn't surprised when she saw two Amazons in full ceremonial dress, complete with masks, make their way over to the rail, one of them clutching a scroll.

The moment the gangplank was run out, the two were down it and heading for the Legionaries who were approaching the ship from the wharf master's building. A quick exchange took place, and the group stood waiting as a man was sent off on some errand. Within a short while the soldier returned, mounted with five others and two spare horses for the Amazons. Once the women were in the saddle, the group made their way away from the wharves to deliver their greeting and announce the arrival of the Amazon Queen to whomever would be receiving them.

Nebula concerned herself with the hundred and one things that were required of her: she had to allow a customs inspection, sign many forms as well as making sure that the ship was correctly secured, she didn't want to incur any fines for breaking Roman port regulations.

After about a half candlemark, the two Amazon's returned with their escort, boarded the ship and disappeared below. Nebula kept an eye on the traffic around the wharf, alert to any signs of danger to her ship, but could detect nothing overt from the Romans. Everything seemed to be progressing as planned, and the Amazon visit seemed to be accepted at face value.

The waiting continued as Nebula continued to work at the myriad things that always needed seeing to on a ship. She had arranged, with Ephiny, to retain the services of six of the Amazons, basically as a skeleton crew for the vessel and for running messages to wherever the Amazon embassy ended up staying. The pirate captain would keep an ear open in any of the taverns for gossip concerning the people they were looking for and send any information along to the Regent.

In a remarkably short space of time (which suggested that the relevant authorities had been alerted to their imminent arrival), there was a blasting fanfare of trumpets as a Legion Cohort marched it's way down to the wharf burnished breastplates gleaming in the mid-afternoon sunshine. At their head, on a magnificent black stallion rode a tall, well built, man with short cropped blonde hair and an air of authority about him that almost seemed tangible.

As the sound of the trumpets resonated through the air, Amazons dressed in their ceremonial garb began to assemble on the deck of the ship, before flowing down to the wharf, drawing themselves up in colourfully exotic ranks that rivalled even the splendour of the Roman soldiers.

As the Romans drew up opposite the ship, Ephiny, wearing the mask and full attire of the Amazon Queen, stepped out onto the deck. She was followed by a subservient Hercules, who knelt by her feet and then both were quickly flanked by Eponin and Malonda, resplendent in the finery of court advisors, both of these women carried warstaffs and in unison they rapped them three times upon the deck of the ship, the heavy sounds echoing through the heavy planking.

When the vibration halted, Eponin stepped forward, "Harken, harken ye Gods and Mortals all. Ephiny, by the grace of Artemis, her Regent and Queen of the Amazons, Lioness of Themiscyra, Daughter of the Moon, stands amongst you." At that point the Amazon guard turned as one to face the ship.

"Pay homage to her and welcome her coming," commanded Eponin.

Together the Amazons knelt and bowed their heads. Ephiny moved forward, followed by Hercules, who had risen, unnoticed, to his feet, and both Malonda and Eponin. When they reached the stone of the wharf, the Amazon guard stood and turned back to face the Romans, who had remained at attention through the ceremony. Standing a little in front of her entourage, Ephiny waited for the man on the black horse to make himself known to her.

Nebula stood proud on the bridge of her ship watching the pageant before her. Her mouth was pursed in consideration as she watched the reactions of the Romans to the Amazon display .. especially the Roman leader. She had been briefed about Eponin's role and knew that the ritual greeting had been shortened and subtly altered due to the fact that Ephiny was the Regent and not the Queen.

The Romans couldn't know this, and the effect of the proclamation was to leave them rather bemused and impressed by the menacing, women in their exotic and more than slightly erotic combination of leather and feathers. Here was something to spark the interest of even these world wise soldiers who, up until that day, believed that they had seen and done everything.

Looking at the blonde Roman leader, Nebula got the impression that he wasn't as taken by surprise as had been his men, not that he hadn't been ... impressed, just that he seemed to have recovered his poise far quicker than could have been reasonably expected. She watched closely as he swung down off of his horse, waited while a soldier stepped forward to take the reins, and for two of his officers to join him, before he stepped forward to greet his Royal guest.

Eschewing all ceremony and formality, he announced for himself, "In the name of Rome I, Pompey the Magnus, greet and welcome Queen Ephiny and the representatives of the Amazon nation." He struck and held his right hand to his left breast as he made a slight bow towards the regent, "I would be honoured if you would allow me to extend to you, and your retainers, the humble comforts of my home for the duration of your stay in our fair city."

- That's a surprise! - thought Nebula as she arched an eyebrow at the announcement. - The great Pompey deigning to greet a barbarian queen personally .. and offering his own hospitality. Seems that the Magnus has plans of his own afoot. -

Stepping forward, Ephiny slowly raised her ceremonial mask revealing the luxuriant blonde curls and intelligent brown eyes that fastened on the Roman's grey ones, "I thank you for your gracious greeting and offer, Great Pompey. My Amazon sisters and I would be grateful to accept your generous offer of hospitality."

And so it was settled with a far greater ease than Nebula had expected. Ephiny and Hercules had wanted to form an early connection with Pompey knowing that this man was the only real rival to Caesar's power and could, they hoped, be brought around to aid them in their quest to recover their friends. This personal greeting at the harbour had accomplished that and also given them access to him through guest-right at his home.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Unlike many of her sisters, Ephiny had travelled and knew something about the splendours of modern architecture. She had, after all, seen Athens and a few other Greek cities whilst she had been in semi-exile during her marriage to Phantes and after his death and the birth of her son Xenan, - But Rome, I have to admit, is truly magnificent! - she conceded to herself.

She was glad that she had resumed the coverage of her mask, and that her sisters had remained masked, throughout the procession to Pompey's palace. It allowed them to stare in open eyed wonder at such sites as the Circus Maximus, off the Forum Boarim, the Capitol above the Roman Forum and in the distance the towering Coliseum.

They passed through the Servian Walls, the ancient fortifications that were the original boundaries of the city and north into one of the newer quarters of Rome where Pompey had erected his imposing palace. By the end of the procession, the Amazon's felt oppressed by the opulent magnificence that was everywhere to behold, and knew they were truly a world away from the rustic simplicity of their towns and forests ... their home.

While Ephiny with Hercules, Eponin and Malonda were shown lavishly furnished and luxuriously appointed apartments in the palace, the Amazon guard were given a barracks within the grounds of the building. It was large, spacious and had access to bathing facilities the likes of which the women had never before experienced. The only thing wrong with the arrangement was that the warriors were effectively separated from their leaders. However, Eponin came up with a partial answer by assigning extra guards, not only to Ephiny, but also to herself and Malonda as well, which gave them some sixteen warriors to guard the wing of the building that had been assigned as theirs for the duration of their visit.

Once Pompey had departed, after issuing them with an invitation to join him for dinner and making sure that they had no complaints as to their accommodations, the group made shift to settle in. Hercules, who had remained silently in the background whilst everything happened around him, slumped onto Ephiny's bed feeling a nervous exhaustion garnered from the tenseness he felt at the situation. "This is not going to be easy to get used to," he said quietly.

"You're doing fine Hercules," encouraged Ephiny, "Hardly anyone looked at you more than once. They've accepted you at face value for now, which is what is important."

"You know Eph," broke in Eponin as she looked appreciatively at Hercules again , - I might not be able to touch, but no one had said anything about not looking. - she smirked quietly. She heard Hercules groan at her glance and allowed the smirk to crease her features into a grin as she continued, "I don't think anyone has heard, muscles speak. If he could just play dumb around the Romans it might just prove useful."

"What makes you say that Poni?" questioned the Regent trying hard to keep the grin of her face at the stricken looks Hercules was giving her at Eponin's continuing predatory looks.

Eponin moved over to the bed and sat down about a body's width away from the demi-god, noting that his muscles twitched with the urge to move further away from the Weapons Master, only strength of will and the need to not further embarrass himself kept him there. Ephiny coughed to get some attention and raised an eyebrow in suggestion that her friend answer her question, "Um, well. I think Pompey might just have a hidden agenda of his own. At some point he's likely to try and get you alone for 'discussions', and it might be useful if you had Hercules available to protect your interests. I don't think there would be a problem, but an extra pair of ears listening, especially if Pompey believes them deaf ears, might just get us an inside edge."

"It's an interesting idea," agreed Ephiny thoughtfully before turning her attention on her 'concubine', "Could you do it? Maintain the fiction throughout our stay here?" she asked him.

Hercules rested his arms on his knees as he thought about it, "I don't see why not. I've got a pretty good hold on my reactions ..." he broke off as his body flinched away from the light touch of Eponin's trailing fingers, "cut that out, Eponin," he growled mortified by the involuntary reaction, "At least normally I do," he glared at the smug Weapon's Master.

"Poni!" snapped Ephiny, trying to be stern and failing miserably as she struggled to keep from creasing up, "I told you he was mine. Just keep your hands off of him."

"Aw, Eph! You take all the fun out of everything." groaned Eponin in very mock contrition.

"Come on we've got plans to make," the Regent tried to be firm, "Do the warriors know what to do?"

Malonda from her self imposed position at the door nodded and affirmed, "They're going to mix with Pompey's soldiers and see what rumours they can pick up from them. They ought to be a good source of information, and the girls are looking to have some fun with them"

"What kind of fun?" questioned Ephiny tensely, "I don't want them to start anything that's going to put us in a compromising position."

"Don't worry, Eph," Eponin tried to assure her friend, "nothing to bad, just a few drinking games and maybe an offer to spar, you know, normal ... stuff!"

- Oh no! - thought the Regent anxiously, - Nothing to worry about. How's it going to look when my Amazon guard drinks half his troops under the table and then whups the rest at sparring practice! - "Eponin!" she growled dangerously.

"It's okay, Eph, honest," the Weapon's Master repeated her assurance, "The girls know not to go over the top, and I think it could save an awful lot of time in gathering information."

Seeing that Ephiny was far from convinced, Hercules attempted to sooth the situation, "I'm sure it will be fine, Ephiny. Your guards are all responsible women, I'm sure that there's very little that they could hurt."

She turned her glare on him, and it was his turn to try an hide the grin that kept wanting to force itself onto his face, "Have you ever attended any Amazon drinking parties or contests?" she asked him pointedly.

"Ah, no," he conceded, "I've never been invited."

"Just be thankful for small mercies," she assured him. She returned her mallet like gaze to Eponin, "Poni, I forbid you to get involved with any of the frivolities. I need you with a clear head in the mornings."

"But Eph ...." the Weapons Master began to protest.

"No buts," snapped the Regent sternly, "That's a royal command."

Eponin stood, accepting the order with a dark look, she ducked her head in a slight bow and replied, "If your majesty so commands."

"My majesty does," Ephiny assured her with a grin. "Come on, we've got to get cleaned up for dinner."

"Oh my," came Hercules's voice from the bed, "And me with nothing new to wear!"

Giggling as they left for their rooms, they failed to notice the demi-god fall back onto the bed in exasperation at the thought of the continuing charade.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Pompey spared no expense at the banquet he threw for the visiting Amazons. The meal was started with the delicacies of pork stuffed dormice and milk fed snails. The next course was of fish: tunny, hake and sea bream proliferated, along with oysters, mussels and other shell fish. Next came the fowl: Duck, goose and swan jostled with the more exotic plover crane and stork. This was followed by suckling pig, veal, hams and goat, before the tables were decked in cheeses and the sweet sticky things that could always be made room for; sweet wine cakes, stuffed dates and honey cakes were all great favourites. Finally, when everyone had eaten far more than they had ever thought possible, the remnants of the meal were cleared away and great amphoras of wine were brought in.

>From his place, kneeling behind Ephiny's chair, Hercules had had to rely upon, his 'mistress' to pass him the occasional tid-bit of food to satisfy his hunger. No one took any notice of him, other than when Pompey had asked a couple of pointed questions about his function in the Regent's retinue. Ephiny had explained in forthright terms that he was her 'concubine' along for her pleasure, and had manage to drop into the conversation that he was both deaf and mute.

After giving the big man a vaguely curious glance, Pompey had ignored him, which suited Hercules fine. He just wished that he didn't have to be in attendance on Ephiny at this function. Feasts and big gatherings appealed to him about as much as they did to Xena.

That stray thought encouraged a dozen others about the Warrior Princess and their friends. He was so totally absorbed in his own memories that he almost spoke when he felt Ephiny's hand on his shoulder, catching himself only at the last minute. He looked up into her eyes as she motioned for him to follow her. The feast had obviously ended for the guest of honour and her host, and Pompey wanted some private words with the Queen of the Amazons.

Following the Regent and Pompey out of the banqueting hall, he padded along silently as the Roman led the Amazon into a side chamber. Once the trio were within, the sentry who stood outside swung the door closed behind them. Pompey motioned Ephiny to a seat and took one opposite her. Hercules, sank down on his haunches by the doorway.

After a prolonged length of silence, the Roman leaned forward and said in the most casual tone he could manage, "I know why you're here." When Ephiny remained silent he continued, "You want to take the Warrior Princess back to Greece," he saw her eyes harden before he added, "and you want to rescue the true Queen of the Amazons, the bard, Gabrielle." He sat back and waited to hear how she would respond.

Chapter Forty Six: Stuck in the Middle With You

Gabrielle struggled along the edge of the hillside keeping as much of the scrubby cover around herself as possible. Since she and her friends had left the village of Cannetto, they had been hounded, chased and hunted in a wild game of tag that pursued them over the countryside of Italia. This had left them tense, angry and frustrated as well as afraid. A mix that wasn't really conducive to creating a happy atmosphere when they stopped to rest.

Three times they had almost fallen into ambushes set by the Roman troops that sought them. It was pure luck that they had managed to avoid them, although the last occasion had been a close run thing and it had only been Autolycus's quick thinking that had kept them out of trouble when he had managed to start a small landslide in a ravine.

Now they traveled with even more caution, finding places to hide as soon as daylight threatened, traveling only as night fell, and stopping before dawn broke. They had by-passed the city of Volaterrae, and any other smaller villages that they stumbled across, not wanting to leave more of a trail than possible in the memories of the people that Brutus would be able to track them by. Even so, it was obvious by the reactions they got from the odd traveler that they met on the roads in the early and late hours, that their descriptions were widely known and recognised. So they had taken to traveling in the rough country and avoiding everyone and everything. The farther south they went, the more patrols they had had to avoid. They had taken an easterly route and followed the path of the Via Cassia, before striking back towards the west in an effort to try and dodge the insistent patrols that dogged them. As Autolycus had predicted, the further south they managed to get the more soldiers seemed to be deployed to find them. Their lives had become a difficult game of hide and seek with their freedom, and Xena's, as the ultimate prize. It was frustrating, wearing and very hard on the nerves.

More and more frequently, Gabrielle found her thoughts turning towards her captive friend. She was certain that she was alive, for if Caesar had wanted to kill her he wouldn't have dragged the warrior across the countryside of Narbonensis, nor would he have bothered with sending her to Rome for safekeeping. No! What worried the bard, and haunted her dreams, was the knowledge that the Roman would be doing his very best to destroy Xena's resistance and crush her will. Confining her, chaining her, tormenting her, all these things would be taking a toll on the Warrior Princess, weakening her ability to confine the darkness that battled for the dominance of her soul. Gabrielle prayed daily that her friend would find the strength to hold on to her humanity.

After eight nights of hard traveling, they had found a concealed crevice in a rocky valley wall. Pushing through the spiky bushes that hid the entrance, they had discovered a hidden rocky bowl that was supplied with cool spring water. Relief was evident in all of them, knowing that they had found their hiding place just in time to avoid a patrol that was crossing the area.

Autolycus, who had lingered around the bushes to make sure that their passage was covered, heard the soldiers speaking as they took a break close to where their quarry was hiding. He crouched silently and listened intently to all they had to say, not moving until the patrol was far down the valley and well away from where he and his companions were hidden.

Moving quietly back to where Gabrielle and Joxer waited anxiously, he gave them the signal that all was well and that they were likely safe enough there for the day. Gabrielle lit a small, well hidden, cook fire, making certain to use only the driest wood to avoid smoke, so that she could quickly throw together a bean and lentil stew, into which she added a few chopped, wild onions that she'd stumbled across as they traveled during the night, and some of their rapidly depleting stock of salt pork. They needed a hot meal to keep up their strength if they had any hope of reaching Rome.

As Joxer laid out their blankets Autolycus sat down on a rock and, using the soft tones that they had all taken to employing in their current situation, informed the others, "Looks like our soldier friends are looking for some other 'fugitives' as well."

"What did ya hear?" questioned Joxer showing interest.

Autolycus poked at the fire until Gabrielle slapped his hand away, "Don't, you'll burn the soup," she scolded, "Now answer Joxer's question. What's going on? What did you hear?"

"Yes mother," he grinned insolently at the small honey blonde, getting another slap for his pains. As she opened her mouth to scold him again, he held up his hands in surrender and said, "Okay, okay, I'll tell you." He expertly stole a biscuit from the food packs, earning himself a glare from Gabrielle who jealously guarded their stores, before starting with a question, "You know we've been wondering why so many patrols have been heading north, when they've been tracking us south?"

"Yeah," agreed Joxer, "We thought they might have thought that we would try to double back on ourselves, only we thought that they thought that we would think ...." He sank cross-legged onto the ground as the thief waved him down and into silence.

Gabrielle, shook her head to try and clear it from the babble and issued a soft command, "Quiet Joxer," before motioning Autolycus to continue.

Giving the other man an intent glare and muttering something that sounded suspiciously like, "Joxer the mouthy!" the thief cleared his throat and continued, "Well it seems that the soldiers are after more game than just us, and from what they were saying, it looks like Iolaus and Toris have made it here and are looking to get to Rome as well. So," he said giving his mustache a brush with his index finger, a habit he'd picked up to show when he was being clever, "that means that Xena and Caesar are either on their way to Rome or are already there." He looked at the other two who watched him silently almost as if they were expecting him to say something else. Finally, to break the silence he asked, "Well what are you thinking?"

Gabrielle took a deep breath and forestalled Joxer when she replied, "This isn't going to make things any easier, is it?"

Autolycus looked a little surprised at the question and shrugged his shoulders as he answered, "Well, no ... but we're hardly any worse off, now are we?"

The bard stirred the soup absently, "Gods! why does everything have to be so difficult!" she muttered, before looking back at the thief, "Can we find Iolaus and Toris ... before the soldiers do I mean?"

Shaking his head, Autolycus nibbled on his stolen biscuit as he explained, "Too dangerous. Too impractical."

"Why," asked the blonde, who would have liked to have the other two men with them ... especially Iolaus, with whom she always felt a comforting bond.

"Because," returned the thief.

"That's not an answer you know," the bard told him softly.

"Alright. If you insist," came the huffy reply, "If we go looking for the others we're just putting ourselves into more danger, giving Brutus more chance to pick us all up. Now I'm not sure about you, but spending several painful years as a guest of Caesar is not on my top ten list of things to do. Besides the fact that if we do get snagged, we're just going to put Xena right back in the same fix she was in before I got us out of their clutches."

"You got us out of their clutches?" snarled Gabrielle in pique, "Who was it that managed, against all the odds, to get a fire going so we didn't freeze to death, as well as fixing your arm and his head!"

Autolycus looked at her in utter disbelief, "That's all very well, miss-I-was-taught-by-the-Warrior-Princess, but you never would have got the chance to do that if I hadn't got those chains unlocked so we could get off that boat. Besides which if I hadn't blocked that cave entrance, the light from your fire would have given you away, and you'd be sitting right now in some dungeon in Caesar's palace."

"Egotistical thief!" snapped back the bard.

"Irritating blonde!" snarled the thief.

"Purloiner of peoples personal possessions!"

"Bardic brat!"

"Um, guys" broke in Joxer, "Don'tcha think your being a little bit childish," he swallowed as he added, "and loud?"

"Shut up Joxer!" they growled together while glaring at each other.

A moment or two lapsed before a frustrated Gabrielle spoke once more, in substantially quieter tones, "He's right you know."

"Well that's a first," grumbled Autolycus moodily.

"Hey!" objected the other man.

"We can't let our nerves and frustrations get the better of us," continued the bard, trying to convince herself as much as the others, "We're just under a lot of stress at the moment and we need to calm down, for Xena's sake." She let out a long breath as she finished.

Autolycus crunched through the rest of his biscuit as though chomping on nails. The argument had sprung up out of nowhere, and Gabrielle had been right ... frustration, tenseness and fear, was getting to them all. He replayed the little spat in his mind and a wry grin edged onto his face as he said softly, "Purloiner of people's personal possessions. How in Hades did you come up with that?"

Gabrielle shrugged her shoulders and grinned back, "It's a gift. It's what bardic brats do."

"Um, sorry about that," he apologised.

"Yeah, well, I shouldn't have called you an egotistical thief," she replied.

"Well I'm glad you two have made up," interrupted Joxer, using his I-am-an-adult voice, "I was pretty well ready to give you two kids a good hiding,"

Autolycus looked at Gabrielle.

Gabrielle looked at Autolycus.

They both looked at Joxer.

Then at the pool the spring made.

Then back at Joxer.

"Uh, guys," said the wannabe warrior in a worried tone, as the pair stood and advanced on him, "Uh, don't do something that I'm gonna regret," he pleaded as they grabbed an arm and a leg each, "Hey guys!" he tried again a note of panic creeping into his voice as they picked him up and advanced on the pool, "This is not acting ..."

'SPLASH!!!!!!'

He sat up and spat a stream of water out of his mouth onto the rocky edge of the pool, before finishing what he'd been saying, " ... responsibly or maturely."

When he hauled himself out of the water, he was not happy about having to strip off all the wet leather again .. although at least the sun would dry it out while he slept. He wrapped a blanket around his skinny frame and sulked as he sat on another one waiting for his meal. At least the bout of silliness had helped clear the air between them a little bit, although Joxer was certain they could have found a way that hadn't involved him in getting a soaking.

For the first time in days, the brooding, fear laden atmosphere had lightened and the meal was eaten with a touch of friendly banter that even nudged Joxer out of his sulk. However, when they had eaten their fill, and before they settled to get some much needed rest, they knew that they needed to discuss the options raised by the news that Iolaus and Toris were behind them.

"You're certain we can't go back," asked Gabrielle more to herself than anything else.

"Far too risky," Autolycus reiterated. "Besides, since we're all going in the same direction, we've got just as much chance of bumping into each other, as we'd have if we went off looking for them."

"I suppose that's the logical way of looking at it. It's just ...."

"I know. You feel responsible for us being here," his brown eyes surreptitiously examined the bard and saw a young woman torn with concern, "but we're grown men, Gabrielle, and we made our own choices. You and Xena are our friends, and friends stick together. If I was in trouble, I know both of you would do your best to help me. In fact I remember a certain bard trying to free me from a chain gang," he said with a smile ticking the edges of his lips.

"Not very successfully," she laughed and then shrugged, "I know, I know, I'm just worried ...." she trailed off.

"What? About Xena?" smiled Autolycus, and then spotted her about to form an angry protest. He moved quickly next to her and draped a brotherly arm across her shoulders, "She'll be alright, Gabrielle. You know she will. She might be uncomfortable, and even in pain, but if anyone can cope it's her," he turned her despondent face towards him so that he could look her in the eyes, "And we will get her back ... that's a promise."

After so long of trying to be brave, the bard finally gave in to her need to cry and she sobbed into the thief's shoulder as she allowed the anguish and terror and guilt that she was somehow responsible for the whole mess to finally come out. Autolycus just sat holding her, gently smoothing her hair and making soft soothing noises as she cried herself out.

Joxer watched all of this from his seat on his blanket. He felt an irrational jealousy that Autolycus should be the one to offer comfort to the bard. Although he knew that Gabrielle viewed both him, and even to some extent the thief, as brothers, he couldn't stop himself from loving her. She was his great romantic passion. The unobtainable bard that he longed to make his own. Feelings he knew she didn't and would never return. A fact that scalded him to the very heart and soul. He turned his eyes from the scene and forbade the tears to form. Finally, Gabrielle, exhausted but far more relaxed, had lay down on her blankets and drifted off to sleep, joined shortly after by Joxer on his own bedding, while Autolycus had taken the first watch.

**********

Since that day, they had continued to try and work their way south, though they continually found their path was being pushed more southwest by the heavy patrols that they dodged as they cautiously pressed on. Increasingly they were herded away from the 'Via Cassia', towards the margins between the 'Via Aurelia Vetus', and the 'Via Clodia', both of which also ran directly into Rome.

For most of a night they had scrambled through rocky gullies interspersed with noisomely fragrant marshes as the slipped past patrols or hid silently while soldiers passed them by. It was dangerous and intensely difficult to make any headway through the ring of troops that was getting thicker and thicker the further south they managed to go.

It was rapidly approaching dawn when the trio stumbled into a steep, down sloping, gully looking for somewhere safe to wait out the day. They were tired, irritable and had hardly managed to make any forward progress during the night at all. They knew that there was a patrol somewhere too close behind them and tracking them by torchlight, but as they struggled along the rocky ravine they had a bit of luck, or to put it another way, Joxer's bad luck gave them a place to hide in.

They were about halfway down the crevice when the 'warrior', who was traveling at the back of the group, gave a sudden low yelp that was almost immediately cut off. Gabrielle turned around and hissed, "Joxer," keeping her voice down, knowing that there were searching soldiers in the immediate vicinity.

She turned back up the gully, searching the dark ground for signs that her friend had fallen and knocked himself unconscious. She almost jumped out of her skin when Autolycus clamped a hand around her mouth and whispered close to her ear, "Someone's coming up the ravine."

"Son of a Bacchae!" she swore softly, "And I've lost Joxer."

"Oh great, just great," muttered the thief as he cast worried glances behind him, "The master of mayhem strikes again. I'm telling you Gabrielle ...."

"Hey guys," whispered a disembodied voice.

"Joxer?" answered the bard looking round vainly searching for him.

"Over here," the voice came again.

Autolycus zeroed in on where he thought the words were coming from and moved hesitantly over to the gully wall hands out before him. As he got close he could feel a covering of some kind of springy vine, but as he began to move along it a hand shot out and pulled at him.

"Whoa!" he cried softly as he found himself being swallowed by the vines.

Gabrielle, having seen the thief disappear, guessed that there must be some kind of hole that was hidden effectively by something. She crossed to where Autolycus had been standing and before she had time to utter a word, two pairs of hands grabbed her and hauled her into the enveloping blackness of a surprisingly large cave.

"Hey, cut that out," she warned them as she landed in a tangle of limbs with the two men.

"Sorry, Gab," grinned Joxer, "but you need quite a pull or a shove to get through those vines, and it was just easier to do it that way."

It was pitch black in the cave making it impossible for them to see each other, but over by the vine wall, the eerie cast of the moon allowed them to see something of the ravine outside. "Well," sighed the bard, "we can't light a fire or a torch," she said quietly to the others, "It would be sure to be seen." She turned her attention towards where she guessed Joxer to be standing, "How did you find this place?" she questioned.

"Well we warrior types, have many skills, ya know," he answered importantly.

"Quit that, Joxer, and just tell me how you did it?" she ordered.

There was silence for a few heartbeats as he tried to find a way to make it appear as something clever and cunning. But when it came right down to it, Joxer was a very honest sort of a person and he couldn't bring himself to lie to the young woman, even to make himself look better, - Well at least not sustain a lie, - he thought ruefully as he remembered the lies he'd told Gabrielle when her memories had been taken by Mnemosine. "I tripped," he answered.

"You tripped," persisted the honey blonde.

"And fell through that curtain," he admitted. "When I realised that you couldn't see where I'd gone, I thought it might make us a good base for the day," he added.

"That's okay, Joxer. You're right. It's perfect," she complimented him.

"Hush you two," warned Autolycus, "There's someone out there."

The three froze, listening with bated breath as they heard movement outside their haven. There was the sound of feet moving as quietly as could be managed on the rocky ground, and somewhat further away could be heard the unmistakable sound of metal jingling, a noise recognised by all three of the caves occupants as belonging to the equipment of patrolling soldiers.

As they continued to watch and listen, two men edged into view. They seemed to swap worried glances before looking back over their shoulders. To those within the cave it appeared that they were ready to sacrifice stealth for speed as they began to scramble up the gully at a faster rate. However, a noise ahead of them left the pair in little doubt that they were in trouble. They couldn't go back, they couldn't go forward and the sides of the gully were too steep to climb without making the kind of noise that would bring the patrols at the double. In frustration they looked at each other knowing that they were caught like rats in a trap.

Both men backed up against the wall of the gully and drew their swords, prepared to sell themselves dearly if they had to. The rocky wall behind them would protect them from attacks from the rear and, depending just how many men were in those patrols, they might even be able to fight their way clear of trouble.

As they braced themselves for the coming fight, both men suddenly felt hands being clamped around their mouths from behind, and their bodies were hauled back into, and beyond, the face of the ravine.

"Shhhhh!" ordered a familiar voice.

Toris and Iolaus tried to make out just where they were. The sudden blackness that surrounded them seemed to rob them of their reactions for the moment needed to become aware of the soft female voice beside them, "Keep quiet," Gabrielle told them. "We don't want the Romans to find their way in here."

Realising that they were with friends, the two men relaxed a little. Iolaus gave Gabrielle a delighted hug before turning his attention, with the others, to the vine curtain they had been dragged through to watch the passing of those that hunted for them. They edged cautiously closer to the vines and strained their ears to listen. As they waited they could all hear the heavy approach of soldiers coming up the gully following after the trail of Toris and Iolaus, and down following the tracks of Gabrielle, Autolycus and Joxer. They met, as could be predicted in front of the vine covered cave.

"Halt in the name of Rome!" ordered the officer in charge of the upward moving group, "State your business here."

"Is that you Leonicus?" questioned the officer in charge of the downward moving patrol, "Have you seen anything?"

"Oh it's you is it, Martinus," recognised his counterpart, "I was trailing those two men that have come south from Pisse. I can't have been far behind them, you must have seen them as you came down."

"I haven't seen them," the second officer denied shaking his head as he moved forward to stand with Leonicus, squinting up at the sky, pleased that the darkness was beginning to break, "I've been trailing that escaped slave and her two companions. They weren't that far ahead of me, but they seem to have a knack for disappearing just as we get close." He took off his helmet and wiped a cloth around the inside to mop up some of the sweat accumulated from a hard night's patrol.

Leonicus pushed back his own helmet and scratched at his short cropped hair, "Well the five of them can't have just vanished, Martinus. Well not unless they climbed the walls to this gully. They're pretty steep, more like a ravine in places. If you followed yours down, and I followed mine up, there must be someplace around here that they can hide."

"Well I dunno about that," returned his fellow optio, "This gully seems just about devoid of places to hide anything."

They were interrupted by a man in Martinus's command, "’Scuse me sir, but my brother and his wife live in Chalmis, that little village on the cliff above this ravine. He told me that smugglers used to use this gully and that they had some kind of cave about halfway up. Do you think that the runaway and the criminals could have stumbled upon it?"

That gave everyone pause for thought. The officers looked up at the sky and judged that they'd have light in less than a candlemark, "Alright men, spread out and be prepared for a thorough search of the area once we get enough light." He signaled a couple of men over and spoke with them in a low voice. Inside the cave, the five stood in miserable dejection. It was light enough to count heads and Iolaus calculated that there were close to a hundred soldiers out there. Once the sun came up and a serious search of the area started they were bound to be discovered. It was only a matter of time. If nothing else they were bound to send someone up to Chalmis and demand to be shown the whereabouts of the smugglers cave. He signaled to the others to follow him to the back of the cavern where they'd be able to talk in hushed voices without giving their location away, "Unless there's another way out of here, they're going to find us," he told his friends.

"We'd better see if there's a back door to this place then," offered Toris. "I'm not too keen on the idea of just standing around waiting for them to find us."

"Without a torch we've got little chance of finding another way out," put in Autolycus, "And if we lit one they'd just find their way in here all the faster." The thief took an educated look around the dark space, "Smugglers would have made sure that their bolt hole was well hidden. We could probably spend days looking for it and still not find it."

"So you're saying we should just give up?" demanded the tall dark-haired man with startling blue eyes, so reminiscent of his sister's especially when they sparkled with anger.

"Look! If they think that we're not going to cause them any problems, they might be lax enough so that I can get us out of anywhere they lock us up," he pointed out, "I am after all pretty good at what I do. What am I saying," he corrected in a pained tone, "I'm the best at what I do!"

"That's just why they're not going to be lax," put in Joxer, "Face it. Caesar knows what each of us is capable of and, besides anything else, as soon as they get their hands on us they're going to whisk Gabby off to somewhere where even Hades Legions couldn't get to her."

"Joxer's right," put in Iolaus, "So I figure what we've got to do is make sure that if all else fails, that she can get away. What I think we should do, is crash out of here. Me, Joxer and Autolycus will draw the soldiers attention, and as they concentrate on taking us, Toris can get Gabrielle to safety."

That pleased no one, and there were several hotly whispered protests before Iolaus got them to calm down saying, "One at a time, one at a time, and make it quick because we don't have long before they start searching."

"I don't like it, Iolaus. It's not right for you to sacrifice yourselves for me. I'm the one that got you into this mess, and it's me they really want. If I make a run for it they'll follow and you four could slip away and make a plan to help me and Xena later." she told him earnestly.

"It won't work, Gabrielle," he answered running a soothing hand down her arm, "Besides if we going to have any chance of getting Xena loose, we need to keep you out of Caesar's hands."

"But ...."

"No buts, Gabrielle. You know I'm right," the blonde man insisted gently.

"Well I think Joxer should go with her," Toris spoke up. "I fight better than he does, and it will buy more time for her to get away."

"Toris, my friend. I know that you're not going to like this, but you've got to go with Gabrielle for pretty much the same reasons. Xena won't put your life in jeopardy for her own. You're almost as big a prize as my friend the bard here," he said ruffling Gabrielle's hair as he spoke.

"That's nuts," snapped Toris angrily.

"But unfortunately true," repeated Iolaus. "Look it's almost fully light out there. We have to make our move now." He quelled the remaining grumbles with a stern look.

They moved back over to the cave entrance and noticed that the Romans were beginning to start to search. The hastily conceived plan of attack was for Iolaus to lead, being the only man, besides Toris, with a sword, and knock a couple of weapons free for Autolycus and Joxer to use. Once the soldiers had their hands full, Toris and Gabrielle were to slip out of the cave and head either up or down the gully, depending upon which route looked easiest.

With nothing else to be done, Gabrielle hugged each of the three men, trying to hide the tears that fell unchecked down her cheeks. She felt responsible for them, and she knew that Xena would too. It was only the knowledge that Iolaus was right about her own and Toris' importance to her best friend that made her accept the plan.

With one last look, the short blonde man leapt through the vines yelling at the top of his lungs, followed quickly by Joxer and Autolycus. Watching intently, Gabrielle and Toris could see that the noise and suddenness of the attack, caught the soldiers by surprise, allowing Iolaus to achieve his first aim, which was to secure weapons for his two compatriots.

All too soon though, the training and discipline of the legionaries slid into place as they began to close in on the three, using their shields as a form of barricade to surround their prey without causing injury. Seeing their chance, Toris grabbed the bard's hand and slipped out of the cave, intending to head down the gully. But no sooner had they edged their way out and around the milling mass, than they were suddenly borne down by a weighted net dropped upon them from above.

Toris fought furiously, aware that they had been negligent in not realising that the soldiers would take some precautions and set such traps in case their quarry tried to bolt. The mesh of the net, however, was strong and held both him and the bard secure until the legionaries were able to secure them.

Within moments the struggle was over. The men were disarmed and their hands bound tightly behind their backs, two men detailed to watch each of them, while Gabrielle had a leash attached to her collar and her hands tied in front of her.

The two officers, Martinus and Leonicus grinned happily. They would gain a reward from this and would rise in their commander's ranks. Things couldn't have gone better for them if it had all been planned, "Take them to Rome," ordered Martinus.

Chapter Forty Seven: Out of the Frying Pan

Hercules felt decidedly out of sorts. He was ready to admit that he felt fractious and more than just a tad unsociable, and he knew just exactly what his problem was. Through all his life he had been looked at, pointed at, followed around and generally been an object of admiration and attention. He'd learnt to handle that. But since he'd been in Rome, he'd been prodded, stroked, grabbed, touched in embarrassingly intimate ways, drooled over, pinned in corners, lusted over, propositioned and ultimately been made to feel nothing more than some kind of sex object, and he was far from amused about it, - It's just a good thing that Iolaus isn't here to see this or I'd never live it down! - he brooded unhappily as he slumped on the huge bed in Ephiny's suite in sullen disgruntlement.

They had been ensconced in Pompey's palace for five days now and it had been a round of feasts and 'social gatherings' and generally a time where Rome's finest did their best to outshine each other, as they jostled to get a look at the barbarian Queen whole ruled over a tribe of women, and where men had been reduced to the role of mere possessions.

The Roman matrons and their daughters were fascinated by the concept, almost as much as they were fascinated by the hulking presence of Hercules. On more than one occasion he'd heard a Roman noblewoman speculate on the attributes of any other men that the Amazon's had at home. But there were other occasions when he truly wished he were deaf as they discussed his potential virility and various portions of his anatomy. It had taken all his strength of will to avoid blushing at some of their more pointed comments.

On top of all that aggravation, since their meeting with Pompey, they'd had no further news of any of their friends. Hercules allowed a frown to crease his brow as he thought about that first meeting between Ephiny and the Roman.

**********

"I know why you're here," Pompey had said with smiling confidence, "You want to take the Warrior Princess back to Greece, and you want to rescue the true Queen of the Amazons, Gabrielle." He sat back and waited to hear the response.

Ephiny had stiffened for a moment, before relaxing back in her chair, resisting an impulse to look over at Hercules. She knew it wasn't a well known fact that Gabrielle was true Queen of the Amazons. It was something both the bard and her people tended to keep to themselves as much as possible, because the Queen being out on the road, even with a 'personal bodyguard' like Xena, was risky. Gabrielle would make a tempting target for anyone seeking to hold the Amazons to ransom.

Settling on his haunches, knowing that he was in for a long session, Hercules waited to see how Ephiny would handle the situation. The Regent pursed her lips as she directed a calculating stare at the Roman, "We came here looking for Queen Gabrielle," she admitted, "Xena ...." she paused for a moment seeking the best way to tackle that particular bunch of thorns. "Xena is currently serving a sentence of banishment imposed by the Amazon council, but she remains Queen's champion, and as such is of concern to the Amazon people."

Hercules had watched Pompey intently through that speech, seeing no reaction, which gave the impression that the man already knew the situation ... something not really possible, - Unless he's been given a full briefing by someone. - He covered a frown by running his hand over his face, pushing his hair out of his eyes, - And the only way for someone to have such intimate knowledge of Amazon affairs is if they are an Amazon, - an idea that he discarded almost immediately, - or a God! - His thoughts immediately turned to Ares.

Pompey smiled. Hercules had never met either him or Caesar before, but from what he'd heard there was really little to chose between them. Both were obsessed in gaining ascendancy in Rome, and once that had been achieved, they wanted to rule the World! The one thing that was stopping either one from attaining his goal, was the cutthroat competition they had going with each other. - A small mercy to be thankful for, - thought the son of Zeus, - that and the fact that their hate for each other might just allow us to get our friends out of here. -

"Caesar has Xena," Pompey dropped into the silence, "but you already know that, or had guessed it. They are on their way to Rome, according to my sources, and should arrive any time now." He watched the blonde Regent for any sign of impatience, and found only a pair of brown eyes that had turned rock hard as they bored into him.

"He also had your Queen ...." he began before Ephiny interrupted him.

"Had?" she questioned pointedly.

Pompey smiled, as he rose from his seat and moved across to a table where refreshments had been laid for them, "Some wine?" he inquired politely, pouring one for himself and his guest when she nodded acceptance.

Ephiny, Hercules noted, had schooled herself to patience and had not pressed her question. The Roman was controlling the game for the moment, she needed to exert restraint if she was going to maintain a tenable position. She accepted the goblet that was passed to her and sipped appreciatively at the sweet red wine.

"Brutus was detailed to bring Queen Gabrielle back to Rome for safekeeping," he explained as he resumed his seat, "He also had two men, friends of hers I believe, in custody. The three of them escaped by picking the locks on their shackles and jumping off the ship in a storm ... quite a daring escape by all accounts."

- Autolycus, - thought Hercules immediately, - he must be with Gabrielle. But who's the other man? Iolaus or Toris? -

Ephiny softened her look a little, although the big man guessed that she was burning inside with impatience. He knew that she had a fiery temper, but his admiration for her rose as she, not only kept it firmly in check, but also presented the image of cool control as she asked, "And just where is my Queen now?"

"That," he admitted, "is a little difficult to say right now. Reports suggest that she and the two men with her, plus another two men that Caesar is interested in, are all currently heading south for Rome." He gave her a charming smile as he set his wine cup down on a side table, "Of course, Brutus is desperate to make good on his failure, and has got half the men stationed in Italia patrolling the area to make certain that they are safely back in custody, before Caesar returns."

- Four men? - thought Hercules distracted by the number, - Ephiny said that three letters were sent out, one to Iolaus and the others to Toris and Autolycus. Who's the fourth man? -

"What then," asked Ephiny in a level tone, "are you offering, or suggesting here?" Her look made it plain that there was nothing in what he had said that was of any real use to her.

Allowing the smile to linger on his face, Pompey leaned forward conspiratorially and whispered, "I'm suggesting, that we take Caesar's toys away from him and upset his little plans." He gave her a speculative look of his own as he continued, "I've no doubt that you know all about my little ... shall we say contest, with Caesar. At the moment .. by holding the Warrior Princess and, if he retakes her bard .. he has the upper hand in our game. The pair are but pawns on a large chess board. I could...." He frowned, taking a draught from his cup before continuing the sentence, "easily find ways to remove those pawns from the game ... for good. However," he again smiled as he set his cup aside, "I found Xena to be quite stimulating when we met a short time ago and I would regret doing something permanent to her ... or your Queen of course."

Hercules saw the tightening around Ephiny's mouth as she recognised the veiled threat to her friends. Yet she waited, knowing that Pompey was merely establishing his position, knowing that he still had more to say. Something that he obviously believed would gain her co-operation.

"Personally," continued Pompey unworried by the sharp look he had attracted, "I'd far prefer to take them all away from Caesar and send them back home with you. It would annoy him far more, and of course, has the added benefit of retaining Xena as a threat to his personal safety."

"And do you have a plan for doing this?" asked Ephiny neutrally. She could not afford to appear too eager here. She would need to discuss her options with Eponin and Hercules before deciding what to do.

"Actually, I do," he told her with unassumed confidence, "At least as far as your Queen and the men with her are concerned. It might take a little work to extract Xena from Caesar's clutches. He really has an obsession with her, you know? Not that I blame him exactly, but it's going to make it all the more difficult to free her, and we're probably going to need her help."

Ephiny still wasn't sure whether this Roman could be trusted, but she recognised that he was playing a game that coincided with her own requirements, so for now, at least, it made sense to work together, "Xena will do nothing to endanger Gabrielle," she told him with certainty, even though her memory winced at the image of the bard being dragged from the village behind Xena's horse. "Before we can get her co-operation, we're going to have to prove to her that Gabrielle is safe."

"That is not going to be easy," he conceded. "Getting Gabrielle here and away from Caesar's men, may prove to be less difficult than could be anticipated, but getting a message to Xena, in a way that she would accept the message for truth ... now that is going to be far more problematical. Caesar has a full maniple of guards around her at nearly all times. No one gets to see her without direct authorisation from him. She has at least six guards watching her every move both day and night. The only time she's free of really close scrutiny is when she performs in a pit fight .. but then there are usually guards stationed everywhere around the pit watching her every move." He grinned, "Just in case she decides she's had enough and opts to try and dismember Caesar."

Ephiny frowned. She wasn't really surprised an that. Xena would, given the opportunity, attack Caesar no doubt about it. "These pit fights," inquired the Regent, an idea forming in her mind, "Just what happens? Are weapons used? And just what is the set up?"

"Can you honestly see Caesar willingly allow Xena to get her hands on a weapon? Any weapon?" he laughed at the thought of the discomfiture that such a situation would bring to his rival, "To be honest, she did actually get a dagger in one of those fights she had in Narbonensis. Some fool dropped the weapon to his fighter, hoping he'd beat Xena with it. She got hold of it and threw it straight at Caesar. He's got a nice scar down the right side of his face to show for it." He laughed again.

"The pit fights are kind of like private entertainment for the rich and the nobility. Most of the larger houses have their own gladiator pit, and often, during a celebration or dinner party, the host will have arranged a series of pit fights to entertain his guests. The guests usually wager outrageous amounts on the outcome of the fight, and Caesar has accumulated quite a large fortune by wagering on Xena." He thought for a few moments noting her interest.

"The rules and conditions of the entertainment are decided by the owners of the slaves or gladiators being matched together. Some may want to see a blood match where the fighters use weapons and fight until first blood is drawn. Others might wish to see a death match, which is pretty self explanatory. Caesar only fights Xena in unarmed combat, sometimes she's matched against a single opponent, more often she's expected to fight off two, three, four or more. The fight ends when one side is unable to continue."

"The gladiators in Rome are of a far tougher breed than those found in the provinces, and I have little doubt that Caesar intends to continue to use Xena to stuff his treasury. It's unlikely that he'll risk her in the coliseum fights, unless there is some huge prize to be won. The fights in the coliseum are always performed with weapons, something he'll probably consider too dangerous to allow. As far as I can see, the only way we can possibly contact her is to get someone into a pit with her." He arched an eyebrow in question at her, "Could one of your Amazons be persuaded to take on the task?"

Ephiny relaxed into her chair and allowed her eyes to warm a little, "I think we may be able to arrange something," she agreed.

Hercules groaned inwardly. He just knew that that particular task was going to come down to him. He leaned back against the wall and closed his eyes, knowing that he'd have to spend some time here while Ephiny and Pompey exchanged a little social banter. It proved to be a long evening.

**********

His mind focused back on the present as he pulled himself up off of the bed and walked through to the opulent bathroom where he poured water into a marble bowl and splashed it over his face, before groping for a piece of linen to wipe the excess off.

**********

After the meeting with Pompey, Ephiny, he and Eponin had discussed what they had learned back in Ephiny's chambers. The Regent had fully explained everything to her Weapons Master and they had discussed at length their options. Eponin had been eager to send out some Amazon scouts to track down Gabrielle, but had to reluctantly agree with Ephiny that that particular move would have attracted far too much attention. It irked the dark Amazon that they had to 'play politics' as she put it, rather than take a far more direct approach.

"Pompey knows exactly what we're doing here," Ephiny had reminded them, "How? Only the Gods know!"

"Never a truer word," put in Hercules, and continued when he saw her questioning look, "I think it's a fairly safe bet that Ares is taking a hand in this somehow, even though Pompey made it clear that Gabrielle was betrayed by that healer, Patroclese. Any information he gave Caesar, about the Amazons and Gabrielle's position with you, would have been kept strictly between the two of them, Pompey couldn't have got it from that source. And given Ares infatuation with Xena, I can only presume ...."

"Fine, so we've got him to worry about too," groaned Ephiny.

"Probably not directly," assured the big man. "Ares has a connection to Caesar. I doubt if he'd want to damage his relationship by direct interference, which is probably why he's using Pompey."

"We'll just have to keep it in mind," shrugged Poni, "and hope Artemis is watching out for our interests." She grinned looking at Hercules, "What kind of terms are you on with your sister?" she asked.

"I try to avoid too much contact with members of my father's family," he replied dryly, "It's not good for my peace of mind."

"Getting back to the point," Ephiny interrupted, "We need to keep Pompey happy and play along with him. If he thinks that we're not going to be of use to him in his conflict with Caesar, he may just decided to eliminate Gabrielle and the others. By doing that he'll probably ensure Xena's death, because I have little doubt that she would do something ... rash."

"Well what's the plan?" asked Eponin, straight to the point.

"I think that Ephiny has got it in mind that I earn my keep," offered Hercules smoothly. "I'm going to need to establish a reputation amongst the Romans as a pit fighter of some quality."

**********

Since then, he'd had two fights, arranged by Pompey as he hosted two elaborate gatherings in honour of the Amazon Queen. The gladiators had been good quality fighters, but they proved to be of little consequence to the demi-god, although for the sake of appearances, he did make something of a show of both contests.

That's when his problems with the matrons of Rome had really started as well. There was something about a big muscular guy, who could beat the stuffing out of other men, without raising a sweat, that really turned them on. If he hadn't been a grown man, Hercules would have cried in frustration. - At least Eponin's leaving me alone, - he brooded moodily.

He knew that Ephiny had had a long serious talk with the other Amazon after seeing just what the big man was being called upon to endure. Eponin had grinned mischievously and muttered something about 'being able to wait' that had made the hairs on the nape of his neck rise, but at least she had backed off for the interim, for which he was profoundly grateful.

Pompey had not been able to get them any further information about the hunt for Gabrielle, although he had mentioned, earlier in the day, that the area around Rome had become thick with patrols as the net was slowly tightened to catch the game that was being hunted. He had also dropped some hints that he had men of his own out on the hunt, although they were having to be circumspect so as to avoid clashes with Brutus' men.

Hercules sighed. He was currently doing his best to stay hidden in Ephiny's rooms. There was another fight scheduled for the evening and he was supposed to be resting. He felt relief at being out of the public eye, but he was feeling unsettled; he was not used to sitting on the sidelines while events unwrapped themselves around him. He knew that he just had to be patient.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

The encampment was set in the fold of a range of rolling hills. It wasn't big, consisting of a command tent and a few other tens for the men who had returned from their patrol and were grabbing some sleep before being sent out again. There were several similar camps dotted all around Rome, but this was the one where Brutus had established himself.

There was much coming and going as scouts were sent in to report on trails discovered and areas swept for sign of the fugitives. The frustrating, commonplace, answer was that no trace of the five, hunted, people had been found or, which was worse, that the trail had been lost. Brutus was beginning to get nervously fidgety, knowing that Caesar was on his way back to Rome.

Sitting within his tent, the darkly good looking Roman was contemplating the ruination of his political aspirations. He had been friends with, and confident to, Julius Caesar since they were little more than boys first making their way in Rome's turbulent society. He'd recognised the genius in his friend and had firmly hitched his wagon to that of Caesar's rising star, making a lot of enemies in the process, but counting that a fair exchange for his own advancement.

- Now, - he brooded silently, - Now, every thing looks like it's going to be destroyed by some bratty Greek bard, just because she gave me the slip! - he slammed his hand onto the table in front of him that was strewn with maps of the search area immediately around Rome. - She is somewhere out there, just beyond my reach, - he breathed heavily, - I can almost feel her. I just need a little luck and I'll have her! -

He looked up as Tribune Granius, the duty officer for the day, entered his tent and saluted sharply, "Lord Brutus," he began, "we have reports in from our patrols that have spotted troops of men sent out by the Senate and by Pompey. They seem to be checking on what our men are doing and are causing disruptions in the search patterns."

Brutus pulled a map from the untidy pile on his desk, "Show me where they've been seen, Granius," he commanded grimly. - That's all I need, - he snarled to himself. - If that vainglorious ass, Pompey gets his hands on them, I might as well start looking for a new career, because Caesar will never forget I failed him. -

The tribune spent some time pointing out the sectors in which troops from the senate and Pompey's IInd Legion had been identified, noting that at least two of the sectors were amongst the regions believed to be the most likely to be hiding the wanted fugitives.

"Have you had any word that they've found anything?" demanded the Roman commander.

"No my Lord. Both the Senate's troops and Pompey's are keeping mostly clear of our patrols."

"Make sure we have scouts keeping an eye on these 'interlopers' at all times," ordered Brutus. "If they find anything, anything at all, I want to know about it!" he instructed.

As Granius left him, Brutus felt the roiling acid of his stomach churn with an almost fatalistic knowledge that he was playing a game that he could not win.

Gabrielle sat despondently in the centre of a large tent. The others had done their best to try and cheer her up, but she was well aware what their capture meant for Xena ... the end of all hope. Caesar now had an even stronger hand with which to compel her friend into submitting to his mastery ... and it was all her fault!

Glumly avoiding eye contact with the four men who sat close to her, their hands still bound and all of them watched by alert guards, the bard sent out a silent message to her friend:

- Xena, you'll probably never hear this, but I have to hope that somehow you'll understand that I tried everything I knew to give you the freedom to get away from Caesar.
The others don't really understand just how terrible your situation is, or how bad ours will become once Caesar has us at his mercy.

All of this is my fault!

I should have done things differently. I should never have sent those letters to Iolaus, Autolycus and, especially Toris! By doing so I have given Caesar more power over you. Over us, because he will use our friends against both of us.
Please be careful in your dealings with him. He is not a forgiving man, and he intends, I think, to make your life Tartarus in this world. Try not to provoke him more than necessary.
I shall tell you all this when and if I get the chance to speak to you. I don't doubt that our 'master' will use me to hurt you, but whether he will allow me to spend time with you, I hesitate to predict. For now, I must hope that, by the Gods' benevolence, you will know that I'm thinking of you, and feel the message that I so dearly need to communicate to you.

Be well, my friend. Be safe.

I love you Xena. -

"Hey! Gabrielle," said Iolaus softly, nudging her with his shoulder, "C'mon. Don't give up on us yet. We can get out of this, right?"

The bard shook her head, but looked up into his concerned face, and glanced around at her other companions, "I feel so helpless," she admitted with a miserable sigh. "After everything. All the effort ... everything. I'm back where I started, and all I've done is get you all into this fix as well."

"Sheesh, Gabrielle!" broke in Autolycus, "Why should you get all the credit for this? You did everything you could. It's not your fault that the odds were stacked against us."

"That's right, Gabby," chimed in Joxer, "Don't blame yourself. It's not your fault."

She looked at the silent Toris, who focused on her with those so very blue eyes that were almost a match for his sister's, "No blame from me," he told her, "I would have come anyway, for Xena ... and for you."

She sucked in a deep breath and tried to force a halfhearted smile, which was pretty much a failure as she replied, "Thanks guys. You're all very sweet, but ...."

"No but's, Gabrielle," broke in Iolaus, "The games not over yet. Who knows, Herc might turn up to bust us loose yet."

Her attempt at a smile was a little better this time, "Okay, you win. But you might have to remind me sometimes. It just seems that very little has gone right for me recently. I think I must have some kind of curse on me."

"Nah!" shrugged the small blonde man, "It's just a phase. Happens to us all." He looked closely at the bard, knowing that she needed something to cheer her up, "Ah Gabrielle," he offered, "Did I ever tell you about the time just after Herc was turned into a pig, what Ares did to me and Autolycus for interfering with his plans?" He saw the spark of interest in her eyes and knew that she couldn't resist a new story.

"You promised you'd never tell anyone about that," groaned the thief knowing he was about to be embarrassed.

"It's in a good cause," Iolaus growled at him, "and I suffered too, you know."

"Come on Iolaus, spill it," ordered Gabrielle, the bard in her unable to resist a story and was grateful for the distraction that her friend was trying to offer.

Grinning, the blonde man began his tale, "It all started when a certain thief went and stole Artemis's bow, and then sold it to Discord. You know all about her turning Herc into a porker, I told you that last time we got together. Well after we got Herc turned back to normal, I kinda used the bow to turn Discord into a chicken."

"Oh, I like it?" grinned the bard, "I bet she was spitting feathers?"

"Well she wasn't crowing about it," put in Autolycus, "And Ares was more than a little bit miffed about the whole thing as well. Nearly laid an egg as I recall," he joked, getting groans from the others.

"Anyway, " continued Iolaus, "Ares decided that me and the thief were due for some 'serious' behavioural correction, so he chained us together with some shackles made by Hephestus ..."

"Yeah, and the miserable son of Zeus made certain that there weren't any locks to pick, either," grumbled Autolycus.

"But that wasn't the worst of it," came back the smaller man, "He also did something so that we could talk normally to each other, but all anyone else heard was some vicious snarling and growling ... pretty much how Autolycus normally sounds really," he added as an after-thought.

"You know, shorty, that smart mouth of yours is really gonna get you in trouble one of these days!" growled the thief.

"See what I mean," grinned Iolaus, getting a smile in return from the bard. "Anyway, did I tell you that Ares also left us in the middle of nowhere wearing nothing but a smile ... or a scowl in his case."

"That does it, blondie. When I get my hands loose I'm gonna ...."

"Yeah!" challenged Iolaus, "You're gonna what?"

"Hey guys," broke in Joxer, "just finish the story. It makes a change for someone else to have all the trouble."

"Break it up you lot," broke in the stern voice of one of the guards, "Just settle down and get on with the story, like he said." he emphasised pointing to where Joxer sat.

Autolycus rolled his eyes in resignation and listened as Iolaus continued with the tale, explaining how they'd managed to improvise clothes from stolen sacking, but then had been fighting each other so much that they'd fallen into a bog and got plastered in thick, evil smelling mud and were hunted by villagers, thinking that they were some kind of swamp monster.

"Then mastermind went and ate a gussenberry and passed out cold on me, so I had to lug his carcass along. Unfortunately, while I was crossing a rope bridge, I muttered something about wishing I had some boots. Well Ares was watching and, being Ares he thought it would be a great joke to let me have them along with size twenty feet. Autolycus ended up with the same treatment and we both had our features slightly re-arranged," he told them, pleased to see Gabrielle rolling with laughter, even if it was highly embarrassing for both him and Autolycus.

Next had come his explanation of winding up in a freak show cum Circus and that was where Hercules had found them, "Once Herc broke those chains that Hephestus had made, all the of Ares tricks collapsed. But things weren't quite finished. Ares enlarged Discord in her Chicken form and she came after us, and anyone else who got in her way."

"Let me tell you, that was one big chicken," put in Autolycus.

"Well, me and my 'partner' there, we cooked up a scheme using Gussenberries to knock the stuffing out of ol' Discord, and because Ares hadn't laughed so much in eons, he kind of let us off the hook."

Tears streaming down her face with mirth as she imagined just what had happened, Gabrielle finally managed to ask, "Why didn't you tell me all this before? And what happened to Hercules?"

"Ah, well. The reason I didn't tell you about this Fowl," he winced at the groans from everyone in the tent including the guards, "story was because I promised twinkle toes, over there, that I'd never tell anyone the gory details, but you needed cheering up, so... and as for Herc. Well once he set us free, he had to take Katherine, the pig, back to her home, so he missed all the fun."

"Thank you, Iolaus," smiled the bard. "I think I needed something to remind me that things could be worse."

Feeling better, simply for knowing that she had friends with her, Gabrielle settled down to get some sleep and was soon joined by the others. None of them were particularly comfortable, but they were all exhausted, so the day slipped by without them really being aware of it.

Gabrielle thought that it was less than a candlemark until dusk, as close as she could judge it, when Martinus entered the tent and ordered them to their feet, "We're leaving for Rome, now," he informed the guards. "Get them up and outside. I want to be ready to move within a quarter of a candlemark."

Standing next to Toris, the bard leaned over and whispered to him, "Something's not right here. I thought we were being held awaiting the arrival of Brutus before we were taken on to Rome, but we haven't heard his arrival, so it seems as if our captors were just waiting for nightfall before moving us."

"What do you think's going on?" Toris asked softly.

Gabrielle looked around trying to spot anything that might give her a clue as to where the loyalty of these soldiers lay. She remembered all of Xena's lectures about looking for colours, banners and badges, but she really didn't know enough about the Roman system to be able to make out anything of use, "I'd say that someone else has gotten interested in what Brutus is doing."

"The Senate?" suggested Toris.

"Maybe," agreed the bard, "Either them or Pompey. He'd want to inconvenience Caesar anyway he could."

The guards began hauling the men roughly to their feet and pushed them towards the tent flap. Toris got behind Gabrielle trying to screen her from the rough handling, and saw that the other men were doing pretty much the same around the sides, "Is being Pompey's prisoner a better prospect, or worse?" he questioned her softly.

Gabrielle thought hard for a moment, "Could be either," she reluctantly said at last, "It depends what game he's playing with Caesar, currently. As for what the Senate would do with us, that's anyone's guess."

"So we're not really any better off," muttered the big, dark haired man.

"No," agreed the bard, "Except ... " she added hesitantly.

"Except?" prompted Toris.

"Except, neither the senate, nor Pompey, is likely to know very much about some very specialised skills one or two of us have," she answered, "It might give us an important edge."

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Hercules stood in the familiar pit and observed his latest opponent. Crusher - What an original name, - he thought sardonically, was taller and far broader than he was himself. Muscles bulged on the man who had a mean look in his eyes that spoke of the enjoyment he took in causing pain to his opponents.

As with the other fights he had participated in, this one was to be fought without weapons. He was trying to build up a reputation in the unarmed combat field, a reputation that would be sure to attract Caesar's interest, especially with the vast sums that Ephiny was wagering on his victories. News of that would also reach Caesar, and with the man's unceasing need for dinars, the Amazon's deaf, mute champion would be an attraction he'd find hard to resist.

Crusher advanced on his intended victim, his arms were spread wide as he tried to corner Hercules so that he could pin him in his trade mark crush that so often broke his opponents back.

Bouncing on the balls of his feet, the demi-god swung a decent right at the hulk, the kind of blow that would normally, at least, stagger anyone that it was thrown at. It connected beautifully on Crusher's jaw, snapping the brutes head to his right, but instead of falling or being forced back, Crusher slowly turned his head back towards the son of Zeus and grinned.

- Oh boy, - thought Herc as he backed up slowly. He needed to beat this man, but he had to make the fight look good, and it looked like he was going to have to exert more of his great strength to do so. The problem was, that he had to draw the fight out to impress the 'paying' public, which meant he was going to take some damage from the ham fisted brute strength of the lump of muscle looking to nail him.

- Ephiny, you are going to owe me big time for this! - he allowed the thought to register in his mind before ducking under one of the outstretched arms, only to be caught by a back flung fist that slammed hard into his shoulders, - Ooof! - he grunted silently, knowing that he had to avoid making any sound.

Spinning around he realised that Crusher was deceptively fast, for the man mountain stood ready for him and was in fact beginning to advance on him once more. - Okay chum, - the demi-god spoke silently, - let's see how you handle this! - and he launched himself forward in a charge, head butting his adversary squarely in the stomach. He heard the air whistle out of Crusher, and felt the vibration as the man dropped to the ground. However, Herc was too busy with his own pain to take advantage of the situation. Clutching his head he moaned to himself, - Ughh! What does he have in there? Rocks!? -

Shaking the crick out of his compressed neck he recovered in time to see Crusher getting slowly to his feet, a scowl etched onto his features, and deadly intent in his eyes, - Oh, Oh! Looks like I've got him mad! - his mind had time to register before a backhanded slap connected to the side of his head, leaving the sound of ringing bells as Hercules was thrown across the pit into the wall, - Guess he doesn't like getting hurt! - his mind teased.

Easing himself back up with the help of the wall, Hercules was confronted by the immediacy of his opponent, who gave a wicked grin and aimed a right fist that was intended to plaster the hero's face across the pit wall.

Herc ducked!

Crusher's hand hit solid stone and seemed to crumple as the bones shattered. - That's gotta hurt, - thought Hercules as he took advantage of his opponent's injury, by sending two crashing blows into the giant's jaw, driving him back to gain enough room to place a well timed kick to the groin that had Crusher folding up as he made small, animal-like squeaking noises.

When his opponent failed to rise to continue the combat, the demi-god held his hands up in a victory salute, as was expected, and ignored the excited applause of the crowd, and the happy winners who showered dinars upon him as a sign of their favour. Hercules was just pleased to escape from the pit so he could seek the refuge of Ephiny's suite.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

It was late that night when Pompey arrived, unaccompanied, at Ephiny's door. The Amazon guards made him wait while the Regent was alerted and, more importantly, Hercules could climb into her bed and arrange to look dishevelled. When Pompey was admitted, he found the Amazon Queen Regent clothed in a flowing silk robe, standing in the middle of the room, while the demi-god was sprawled in a tangle of bedding.

"He's such an animal after a good fight," explained Ephiny adjusting artfully tousled hair back into place. "What can I do for you?" she inquired pointedly.

"My men have just brought in some prisoners. I want to see if you can identify them as your friends," he explained, "They may not be the right people, but they answer to the descriptions."

"Where are they?" demanded Ephiny pointedly.

"Currently? They're in my dungeons. I wanted everything to look as natural as possible to anyone who was watching .. spies are rife in Rome. They were brought in as captives so the natural place for them to be taken was the dungeon. But if they are your friends, then we'll have to find alternative accommodation for them ... as long as you are willing to go on with our plan."