Chapter 34 – Changes

 

Back in the darkness…

 

 

 

The black shadows seemed to envelop the weary captives of this underground cage.

 

Ephiny sat with the now sleeping child nestled in her arms.  The members of her own tribe surrounded her eager to make sure that both their queen and the child were protected at all times. 

 

On the other of the darkness were Amazons from different tribes each segregated by the location they had ridden from rather than the heritage they all shared as one people.

 

The queen took a deep breath and glanced at the sick child in her hold.   “Damn it! Why can’t we all just work together?” she whispered, knowing there would be no response to the question.

 

 

 

Ephiny’s thoughts of unity were halted by the sound of the large metal door that kept them prisoners in this world of darkness again creaking open.

 

 

All immediately jumped to their feet. 

 

The only time this door ever opened was to toss in scraps of food or another unfortunate captive. In any case one needed to be prepared for anything.

 

The queen gently placed the sick little girl down on the large rock beside her and stood.  “Sheloppa you and Solari stay with Tarren.  If anyone comes within a pace of her…kill them,” she said loud enough for all to hear.

 

 

The two warriors nodded in understanding knowing that they would have to do so with their bare hands.

 

As the metal hinges clanked and the door swung open a bit of filtered light gave way and a tall figure moved into the center of the cavern.  The shape was Argonian but he was larger and more muscular than the other men and on his arm he wore the symbol of a sword being pushed through a stone.

 

 That single mark made him the leader, the king.

 

 

Seeing the shadow of the symbol the queen stepped forward already knowing who had just joined them.  “You are Barlon,” she growled, remembering the legend she had been told since birth. 

 

This was the man who was responsible for all that had happened to her people.  This was the creature that had deceived queen Reea and ordered the attack on the Amazon nation forever splitting it into smaller tribes and bringing down the great nation of once peaceful warriors.

 


Barlon stepped forward. He had an air of intellect and regal presence about him but his appearance and demeanor were no different then the other Argonian animals. “Very good woman. Yes I am King Barlon and what is your name?” he asked with a smirk.

The queen held her head high. “I am Ephiny.  Why have you brought us here?” she demanded to know.  She allowed no sign of fear but instead kept a regal poise that she knew would send the message that these creatures had not broken the spirit of the Amazons

 

The man laughed. “You know who we are and who I am and yet you ask that question.  He looked around the room at the collection of women.  “I am your new master.” He reached out to touch one of the Amazons and the young woman stepped back repulsed by the gesture. Again he laughed but brought his attention back to Ephiny. “I guess you wonder where we went?  What happened to us?  How we are here now?  Is that right Amazon Woman?” he asked with an eerie smile.

 

He spoke the last words as if they were a curse to be whispered in private.


The queen nodded. “Yes we would like to know why we are being cursed with your presence twice in our history?” she replied through clenched teeth.

 

Barlon grinned with an evil twist of his lips. “Of course you should know and I will be very happy to tell you.” He smiled and looked around the room wanting to be sure that all his prisoners were paying close attention. “You all know of the great battle between the Amazons of long ago and the mighty Argonians I am sure,” he said loud enough for all to hear.

Ephiny again nodded. “We know that you were untrustworthy and low life trash that attacked our people while flying a flag of peace,” she replied still feeling her teeth grinding against each other.

 

The man spat on the ground and moved closer to Ephiny. “Well then you know we were cheated from a rightful victory by that spirited tramp Artemis.”  He stood so close that the queen could now feel the hot and vile breath of this man blowing against her skin but she said nothing

There was a rustling of feet behind the queen and she knew that her warriors were eager to step forward and defend the name of their goddess but Ephiny raised a hand in the air to stop them and stop they did.

 

Barlon allowed himself a loud belly laugh at the action.  “Very good Woman.”  He looked deep into her eyes.  “You just saved their lives,” he hissed, motioning around the cavern to indicate the figures that would have dared to attack him.

 

Barlon started moving slowly around the cave as if inspecting his stock. “Well I should continue my story.  Shouldn’t I?  After Artemis interfered we were sent into this dark pit you now call home as well.” He paused and stared at the sick little girl and then moved on. “That was so many summers ago. I do not even know for sure just how many it has been.  Your Artemis offered us eternity here.  That meant we would not die of any natural causes,” he said in a tone that was becoming more feral with every breath.


Ephiny shrugged.  “Doesn’t sound like such a bad offer for a handsome group like yours,” she replied, deciding that words would be her greatest weapon now.  She smiled knowing her bardly friend would be proud of the effort.

 

There was a low chuckle across the darkness of the cavern.

Barlon immediately turned and the queen could see the fury in his little pupils.  “Careful woman there are those here that would kill you all just for the fun of it,” he growled. 

 

The man took a deep breath and tried to regain his regal pose. “You see Artemis knew that our ways as true warriors did not allow us to kill one another or take our own lives.  To do so meant an eternity of dishonor and never being allowed to cross to the other side and be with our fathers and brothers.” His voice became vengeful and filled with hatred for all around him. “She damned us here to a 100 lifetimes of never ending madness and….” Realizing he was no longer in control of his words Barlon paused and his voice softened a bit.

 

For the first time the queen could hear the age of the man in front of her.

 

Barlon took a breath and began again, trying to find strength in his own words.  “Still over the years many of my people chose to fall on their own swords and take their chances with the fates.”  He glared at the queen and she could see the small slits that held his red eyes growing brighter.  “I on the other hand managed to keep a small group together and we dug through these walls using nothing more than our bare hands.” He shook his rough and leather like fists to the queen. “We ate the flesh of those of my brothers that chose the cowards way.” He smiled a bit and let his muscles ease.

 

Barlon waited for a reaction from Ephiny but the queen kept her eyes trained on her adversary and her face cold.

 

The king nodded approvingly at his prisoner’s demeanor. “Very good woman.” He flashed an evil smile and continued. “But then one day we found a stream with fish in it. You see Artemis really didn’t want us to die…so she provided all we needed just to survive and to suffer.”  He began again with new venom. “She did not realize that giving us that stream was a way of showing us a path out of this blackness…We knew the water began somewhere and ended here with us…We moved with only one purpose in mind…seeing the light of day again.” He paused and ran his rough fingers over the stoic Amazon’s soft cheek.  “And then one day we broke through to the surface only to find that the darkness had turned us into these hideous creatures you see before you.” He pulled his hand back and took a deep breath.

 



The queen closed her eyes relieved to have the large hand distant from her form. She raised a brow as she stared at the man before her. “You are damn ugly.”

The king immediately slapped Ephiny across the face. She did not fall but only snapped her head to one side and smiled. “And you’re an animal too but we both knew that already didn’t we?”

 

 

 

Barlon shook his head and gnashed his teeth. “You should show more respect to your king.” He smiled wickedly as he again ran his hand over the queen’s cheek. “And the man you will be breeding with Amazon.”

 

Ephiny forced a smile.  “How did I get so lucky?” she asked, not allowing the size of the bruise forming on her face to affect her demeanor. She shoved his hand away.

The king merely grinned.  “There is that fire and that same look in your eyes that my little Reea had in hers.  She was a foolish child.  She believed in love and peace.  You know better than that Amazon.  You’re people are as bloodthirsty as we are.  We will make wonderful new race together,” he said in a low and teasing voice.



Ephiny thought of Gabrielle’s words about the killing and the blood shed.  The bard had been right.  The Amazon people had become too eager to fight rather than ever consider talking with an enemy.

 

The brave queen held her chin high in the air and spit at the feet of her warden. “If you know what I am then you know that I would rather die then let you touch me,” she said with a such venom that even Barlon took a step back.

With the wave of an arm he motioned around the room.  “And them?  Would you watch each of your women die for the price of your virtue?” He took a step toward the sleeping child only to have his path blocked by a half dozen warriors. He smiled and pointed to the youngster. “And this little one? Would you have me kill her now just as an example?” he asked with a smile.

 

Barlon motioned to one of his guards standing in the doorway to approach and the man drew his sword and moved in the direction of his king.

Ephiny and every Amazon in the dreary cell immediately formed a wall of bodies between the men and little Tarren.

 

“Stay back.” The mighty queen folded her arms against her chest and glared at both Barlon and his followers.  “I will kill you with my bare hands if you even so much as look at that youngster,” she warned in the most threatening tone she could muster.

 

The words were filled with venom and hate for a figure from another Amazon queen’s nightmare that had returned to haunt both she and her people.


The king looked from woman to woman joined in this band of unity beside the queen and laughed. “Do you know who you are speaking too woman?  I am Barlon.  I am King of the Argonians. I command the very clouds in the sky you live under.” He paused and stared at his chosen mate. “I could just kill you all….”

 

He stepped back realizing that there were nearly 60 Amazons now surrounding him.  Even unarmed that could endanger him, so he moved back toward the door. “But my dear Ephiny that would not be practical…my dear you will be mine.  There will be a new race of Argonians and they shall conquer your world,” he said so quietly and with such sincerity that it sent a shiver down the queen’s back.

 

Barlon was about to leave when he turned and gave Ephiny the oddest smile. “Oh and if you are wondering about your horses…They were…delicious.”

 

There was a murmur through the crowd as the words were spoken.  Some had wondered what had happened to their mounts and now the facts had been told.

 

 

 

Ephiny swallowed hard as she watched the door slam shut and darkness overtake them again.  All that could be heard was the familiar dripping of the water down the side of the wall mixed with the evil laugh of a demented king from another time and another place.

 

The mighty queen took a breath and closed her eyes trying to make the darkness seem more bearable.  She glanced back at the small form on the sick child and then the band of Amazons now surrounding her and let her muscles tighten and her fists clench tightly against her sides.  “Ok Amazon it’s time we get the hell out of here.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back at the village…

 

 

 

 

 

Gabrielle pointed to the marked spots on the map in front of her that Xena had set up in the royal cottage.  “Xena said these caves were probably an entrance and the Argonian she captured told her the same thing.” She paused and looked at the now empty pallet a large warrior and a small child had once shared. 

 

 

The young woman swallowed hard and forced her attention back to the map. “And I think if we take a large group straight in that way we won’t have a chance.” She pointed to an open clearing just beside the caves. “This is where we will have to make our stand.”

 

Mussona stared at the spot.  “But how will we draw them out of their dark hiding spot?” she asked noting the distance between the caves and the large field.

Gabrielle grinned.  “I think we can trust that Xena and Ephiny will be doing that for us and when they do we will be right there to support them.”

 

Penela nodded her approval at the strategy.  “It is a good plan and when the rest of our warrior’s arrive….”

“No we won’t wait.” Gabrielle turned her head and motioned to her weapon’s master who had just joined them in the meeting. “Eponon you will take all the children, the elderly and wounded to the centaurs immediately.” She held up a hand before the woman could protest the assignment. “They need to arrive safely and you are the one I trust to get them there.  Besides you’re already wounded and Ephiny would skin me alive if I let you fight with one arm.”  Gabrielle smiled at her friend to show that this was not just the action of a queen but a caring friend as well.

 

Eponon swallowed hard and lowered her eyes. “We will leave immediately my Queen.”

 

The weapons master bowed as she remembered Xena’s words adding her own to them.  “A leader must know when to step down…and a warrior must know when not to fight,” she thought as she left the cottage to do the job that at that moment she was most suited for.

 

 

Gabrielle turned back to Mussona.  “Everyone else that’s here goes with us.  This village will be left empty.  Any grown Amazon willing to hold a sword or staff in battle will fight.  We will either come back as one tribe or we will fall as one people.”

Penela pounded her fist on the table.  “Now that’s the way I like to hear an Amazon talk!”

 

 

Gabrielle grinned and placed a gentle hand on the old queen’s shoulder.  “Queen Penela you are the oldest and most respected of the queens.  I must ask you and you alone to remain here at the village until your people and the other tribes arrive.” She paused knowing she was asking a lot. “It will take all of your influence and perhaps the sight of the Argonian bodies to convince the foreign tribes to join us in battle.  Will you do that?” she asked, knowing that such a request said the wrong way would be interpreted as an insult.



Penela nodded and closed her eyes in contemplation.  “A true leader goes where they can be of the most good.  If my age and big mouth can help defeat the enemy then I shall remain and when the other tribes arrive we shall bring up the rear and bring all our people home…together.”

 

Gabrielle bowed her head respectfully.  “Thank you.” She then looked at Mussona.  “Queen Mussona you are well know for your tactical skills so I will ask that you take half the party up the side here.” She pointed to the map. “ I will lead the other half straight down the middle,” she said knowing she would be taking the very same trail her warrior friend had earlier.

“You?” Mussona said in disbelief. “Have you ever led an army to war?”

 

The new queen took a deep breath as she remembered a battle long ago where she had watched a friend die in what she considered a useless war. 

 

Xena had told her that he had died for the greater good and that it had been a good fight and she should remember that, but the young woman still had nightmares about her own hesitations to act in that battle.  She could not allow that to happen again. “Yes once.” She replied looking form one questioning face to the other. Gabrielle held her chin high. “I am the queen and this is my tribe and I will lead them into battle no matter what the cost.”

 

The words were spoken with enough force and determination to answer the questions of her fellow royalty.

 

Penela nodded and offered her arm. “Then today shall be a good day for a fight my friend.”

 

There were those words again.

 

Gabrielle gripped the old queen’s arm in what she knew was a warrior greeting and held as firmly as she could.  “Yes Penela it shall be a…good day.”

 

 

 

On the trail…

 

 

 

Xena motioned Argo along.  Her eyes were no longer filled with tears but instead her heart and soul were filled with a single determination, to get her child back. Nothing but the sight of her young daughter alive an unharmed would drain away the pool of rage growing inside the great warrior.  She paused long enough to pull out her child’s slingshot and hold it in her hand for a moment. 

 

 

The mother smiled as her thumb caressed the spot on the leather -covered handle where she knew the little fingers were usually tightly wrapped. Again she spoke to her absent youngster. “ I remember the look on your face when I out this little stud from my armor on for you.  Do you remember the practice solstice game Gabrielle made us play?”  She took a deep breath and let her voice drop to a tender and loving tone that only her child had ever heard her speak. “Don’t worry baby. Momma is coming for you.”  She tucked the slingshot safely back in her armor and kicked the horse forward. 

 

 

Xena knew that as the sun started to set the Argonians would appear more boldly then the sporadic attacks from dark spots on the trail she had been experiencing. 

 

It was obvious that the Argonians did not view this single rider as enough of a threat to send their cloud-covered army after. 

 

That was their second mistake.

 

 

The warrior heard a branch break above her and without so much as the blink of an eye tossed her chakrum straight in the air slicing down more of the dark creatures that she now knew watched her every move.  She caught the weapon in her hand and moved forward never even pausing long enough to see just how many she had killed.

 

 

Xena glanced at the trees above and noted that the high branches had been bent and tied to join with the trees on the opposite side of the trail so as to create a block of the sun.  She shook her head.  “Well…That will just never do.” She dismounted and placed a single finger in the air to test the direction of the wind before tossing her chakrum again straight in the air sliced all the bindings sending branches swinging back and the sun shining through.

 

 

The warrior took a deep breath as she felt the sun bathe her skin and heard the screams of Argonians dropping to the ground in fits of agony all around her.  She pushed Argo to the side and pulled out her sword ready to make her first stand. “Ok come and get me,” she yelled.

 

Dozens of the creatures kept their eyes low as they attempted to attack the great warrior.

 

 

Xena gave an evil grin as she threw kick after kick and twirled her sword in every direction until all that was left before her was a road filled with bloody bodies. She watched as the remaining men ran to the trees for cover.

 

 

The famed Warrior Princess stood tall and held her blade straight up to the sun. The rays of light hit the cold steel and reflected with such power that the metal looked to be made of fire itself. “That’s right run.  You run and tell everyone I’m coming and I’m coming with a vengeance.”

 

 

 

 

Back at the village…

 

 

 

Gabrielle watched as the last of the Amazon children were herded down a safe path with an armed escort headed by Eponon.  She took a deep breath and scanned the now lifeless village. “What am I doing?” she questioned.

 

All of the remaining Amazons were arming themselves with weapons of some kind.  Even the old cook, Boralla had blown the dust off of her sword to join in the battle for the glory of the Amazon nation.

 

 

The new queen moved back to the royal hut she had once, just days ago, shared with Xena and Tarren.  She looked around the now empty cottage remembering the playful water fights in the large tub and the way Xena hidden the large bag of confections in different places always knowing her little daughter would find it.

 

Gabrielle smiled as she caught sight of a small piece of burlap protruding from underneath the mattress and gave it a yank. She pulled out the remains of a once full bag of confections. “Well Xena looks like Tarren found it again,” she whispered as she placed the candy next to the child’s pillow. “I’ll just leave it right here where she can find it when you two get back,” she said, hoping her words were not just spoken in hope.

 

 

Gabrielle sat on the large pallet, smiled and closed her eyes trying to recapture the sight of both of her friends sitting beside her in front of a small fire on some off the road campground that Xena had discovered.  “Gods…Tarren always loves those special spots you find warrior,” she said to the empty air around her.

 

The young woman let her fingertips run alongside the edge of the sheets of the large pallet. “She’s never going to sleep without you close by Xena.  She loves you too damn much.  She needs you…loves you. You are her Momma,” she said in a faint whisper.

 

 

Gabrielle folded her arms against her chest and for the first time allowed a few stray tears to fall as she spoke to whatever essence of her warrior friend still filled the room. “Xena I’m going to do it.  I’m going to lead these people into a bloody war.  I hope it’s the right thing to do.  I don’t know what else to do.” She paused. “Ephiny was right.  There can be no talking with these animals.” Her features grew cold and she wiped away her tears. “So the gentle bard is no more.  Now I am Gabrielle Queen of the Amazons and I will fight for them…for you and for…Little Tarren.”

 

The last words were spoken in a soft whisper but the young woman did not allow her emotions to get control.

 

There was a knock at the door that brought the new queen’s thoughts back to the reality around her.

 

“Enter,” she said in a controlled but quiet response.

 

 

A young Amazon bowed her head and stood on the doorway. “My queen.  The tribe is ready.”

”So it begins.”  Gabrielle nodded and turned ready to do what she must. The chest was thrown out and the shoulders straightened. “Tell Mussona to take her group west.” She paused and let her voice become a bit softer. “Then please get my horse and go to Ephiny’s chambers and get me a sword.  I’ll need to borrow one.  I don’t have one.” She lowered her head as she remembered Xena’s warning about carrying a blade making one a target. “No never mind…I’ll use my staff.  Tell everyone we’re moving out now.”

 

These were the orders of an Amazon queen.

 

The young warrior nodded and sprinted out of the hut to do her queen’s bidding.

 

 

Gabrielle took a deep breath and allowed her shoulders to sag. She nodded as she looked around the empty cottage.  “Until we are together again my friends…my family…I love you both…I hope you know that.”  She took a deep breath threw back her shoulders and left the peaceful cottage never again looking back.

 

 

As the young queen made her way to the center of the compound she could not help but be impressed by the hundreds of Amazons seated on horseback holding swords and staffs in the air in salute.  Some were old and some probably too young but all were willing if not eager to fight and die for their people and their queen.

 

 

Gabrielle stopped in front of an old queen bowed and gave a quirky little smile. “You have the toughest job of all Queen Penela.  If the other tribes come and do not listen to your words….”


Penela smiled and raised a halting hand in the air. “They will listen if they know what’s good for them.” She removed her sword from its sheath and studied it for a moment. “They will listen.  Do not fear of that.” 

 

The words were filled with such authority and confidence that even Gabrielle found some comfort in them.  Penela smiled and handed the blade to the young queen.  “My mother and her mother before carried this sword in battle.  I would be honored if you would lead these people with it.”

Gabrielle eyed the old blade and knew that all eyes were now upon her.  She could not refuse such a request and perhaps it would be wiser to be with a sword after all even if she did not plan to use it. 

 

“I would be most honored,” the young queen replied, taking the sword by the hilt and placing it in a sheath on the saddle of the mount brought beside her all the while trying to remain unaffected by the weight of the weapon.

 

The young queen offered out her arm to Penela as she had seen Xena do with many warriors in departure.   “Good luck.”

 

 

Penela smiled and gripped the younger woman’s arm. “And to you Queen Gabrielle.” She paused and held her chin high in the air. “Bring our people home…all of them.”

 

Gabrielle closed her eyes and bowed her head respectively and then mounted her horse.  “We will.”  She took one last glance at the faces of her followers and then waved her hand forward.  “Amazons…Move out!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the trail…

 

 

 

 

Xena eyes scanned the road ahead as she patted the side of her horse’s mane.  She had reached the edge of a large field and could see that to cover the distance to the caves without being attacked in great number by the Argonians she knew surrounded her. “Well girl.  I think that Argonian trash wants us to move right down this trail and into those caves.” She shook her head. “As much as I would love to oblige them with a fast sword fight I can’t.” She thought of Tarren.  “No Argo, we’ll just take that little side trail over there and work our way around.” She motioned toward a small narrow path that was barely wide enough to ride through. “Then we’ll get real close to the mouth of those caves and call our friends out into the clearing for a chat.”  She motioned the horse forward. “And then we meet them on an even field of battle,” she said through clenched teeth.

 

 

 

 

 

Back at the cavern…

 

 

 

 

 

Ephiny lifted the small child up and cradled her in her arms as she tried to think of the best way to an attempt an escape.  All of the Amazons had joined their thoughts together and ideas were being tossed back and forth in small circles mixed with every tribe.  They were not yet bound as one group but they were a step closer than they had been.

 

The youngster’s cough had gotten worse and the fever had grown with such force that the little one now felt warmer than the burning fire it the center of the cave.

 

The child reached up her hand to her friend’s face. “Thanks Aunt Eph.  I don’t mean to be so much trouble for ya.  I know you’d be better off if I weren’t here with ya.  I’m sorry.” She lowered her eyes knowing her presence forced the queen to be constantly at her side.

 

Ephiny closed her eyes and wiped a few beads of sweat from child’s to cheek with the side of her finger. “Now you listen to me Junior.  I wish you were not here.  I wish none of us were here.” She paused. “Just how you came to be here is a matter that’s between you and your mother.  But your being here is no trouble to me.” She paused and glanced at the fire in the center of the room that now had members of various tribes surrounding it. “As a matter of fact you’ve given these people….” She motioned to the Amazons now joined in one group in the center. “Well let’s just say you helped pull everyone together a bit.”

The youngster shrugged her shoulders but could not turn her head to look at the other Amazons. “Me?  What did I do?”

 

Ephiny shook her head not quite sure how to respond because she was not sure herself just how this small child seemed to have an ability to alter the lives of the people she touched. “You were just you and that seems to be all it takes kid.”

 

The little girl considered the words as she tried to decide if this was indeed a compliment. “Oh… I want ya to know that Momma and me will understand if ya wanna leave me here when you escape.  I don’t think I can walk and Momma wouldn’t want me to be a bigger pain then I already been to ya.” She bit her lip. “You go.  Momma will come for me soon and I can wait for her here. It’s Ok.”

 

Ephiny’s eyes flared with anger at the mere suggestion that she would ever leave a sick child or anyone else behind not to mention one that belonged to one of her closest friends. “Hey don’t you dare even think like that or your Momma will have to get behind me to tan that little backside of yours.” She shook a warning finger. “When we leave here we leave as a team or not at all.  Do you understand me?” she said in the most parental no nonsense tone she could muster.

 

Tarren’s mouth dropped open. “Yes ma’am.” the awe struck child replied in a near whisper.

 

The queen nodded approvingly at the show of respect knowing that it meant that the child now understood her value at that her protector meant business. “That’s more like it.”

 

“Wow you even sound like Momma,” the confused little girl replied.

 

Ephiny wiped a few sweaty hairs from the little girl’s forehead and ran the damp cloth over the hot skin once again. “That youngster is because I am a Momma.  I told you I have a son named Xenon.”

 

Tarren turned her head and nestled in closer to her Aunt’s side wrapping her arms around the Amazon’s waist. “Where is he?”

 

The queen stared at the little girl for a long moment and then smiled at the way the youngster had in one instant decided that Ephiny was a safe source for affection.  “He’s with…his grandfather right now,” she replied, closing her eyes and trying to gather an image of her young boy.

 

The little one coughed and the Amazon Aunt rolled the child closer and held her until the hacking stopped. 

 

The child took a few deep breaths and smiled finding comfort in the gentle hold of her newest family member. “Why isn’t he with you Aunt Eph?”

 

Ephiny was truly starting to enjoy the sound of her new title and hoped it would last longer that just their days in the dark cell.  She was beginning to see why it had been so easy for the stoic Warrior Princess to sacrifice so much for this one special child. “Well Tarren…My son is…a bit different and he is sometimes better off with people who understand him better,” she replied, remembering the sad look on the little boy’s face as she had departed the centaur village leaving him behind.

 

The youngster rolled out her lower lip and made an attempt at arching her brow. “Momma says you should never leave your family behind.  A kid needs a Momma.  There’s nobody that can ever take the place of a Momma.” She lowered her eyes. “I know cause I didn’t have mine with me for a long time and now I do and I never ever want Momma to go away again,” she said with a tear, wishing her mother would break down the walls and race to the child’s side.

 

The Amazon let out a long breath. “Tarren it’s not the same. Xenon is better off with his grandfather right now especially while all the negotiations going on.  It’s too hard for him to be in the village when I don’t have a lot of time to pay attention to him.”

 

Tarren frowned and shook her little finger at the great queen of the Amazons. “Momma says that having a kid is a Momma’s great goody and it should be work ya love doin.”

 

Ephiny sighed and tasseled the child’s hair. “Oh really.  What else does you’re very wise Momma say?”

 

Tarren considered the question. This covered a lot of ground. “Momma says never touch swords…and stuff and don’t fib…and do what she says or else…and be respectable to old people and…well I forget lots of it but she reminds me when I do.”

The queen grinned knowing some of those reminders were well placed on the seat of the youngster’s britches. “I’ll bet she does,” she replied with a soft smile.

 

Tarren twisted her lips and suppressed a cough and Solari offered the little girl a handful of water.

 

“Drink this child.  It will help a bit,” the Amazon warrior said with a wink and a smile.

 

Tarren took the liquid thankfully and eyed the woman. “Thanks lady.”

 

Solari nodded and moved back beside the fire to join her thoughts with the others in attempt to form an escape plan.

 

The youngster lowered her eyes and her expression became instantly sullen. “Aunt Eph do ya think Momma will be real mad at me for following her?”

 

The queen thought of her warrior friend and the fear that she knew was now racing through the mother’s soul. “Yup but I think she’ll be so happy to see you that she’ll forget all about that...for a while.”

 

The small child bit her lip and let her eyes grow as wide as she could as she stared at her Aunt. “Do ya think she’ll send me away or trade me in for a better kid?” she asked nervously playing with her pieced together blanket. “I heard there are places where ya take bad little kids and get better ones ya know.”

 

Ephiny’s expression went from amused to serious at what she knew was now a genuine fear of this little girl’s. “No Junior of course not.  Your Momma loves you very much.  She’d never send you away or trade you for anything in the world.  Don’t you know that?”

 

The little girl nodded. “Uh huh. She loves me lots and so does Gabby.” All of a sudden the small child was filled with confidence in this love.

 

The Aunt let out a long breath. “Then why would you ever ask anything like that?” she asked confused by the conflicting statements.

Tarren shrugged her shoulders again and glanced up at the queen. “You sent your little boy away so I figure he must have done something really bad for you not to want him with ya. I figure that if he could be sent away by his Momma when you say you love him that maybe I can get sent away by mine too for being bad.”

 

Ephiny rolled her eyes at the way the youngster had manipulated the conversation back to Xenon. She wrapped her arms around the child and pulled her closer. “Look Tarren.  I love my son very much and he’s a very good little boy. I didn’t send him away.  I just sent him to be where it would be best for him.”

Tarren shook her head. “Nope you sent him away. Aunt Eph you are a being a very bad Mommy,” the youngster declared.

 

The words cut like a knife.

 

The queen frowned at this small child who was daring to challenge her choice of parenting skills. “No I didn’t send him away.  I just wanted him to be happy. It can be very hard for him to be around the Amazon village and…” Her voice had risen back to that same parental tone again. “And I am getting a little tired of explaining my actions to someone closer to going over my knee than one who barely reaches past it.”

 

The youngster backed away a bit and tried to cover her mouth to hide her coughs. “Sorry,” she mumbled.

 

Ephiny let out a long breath and closed her eyes. “No I’m sorry Junior.  I’m not your Momma and I shouldn’t be yelling at you like that.  I know you’re just trying to help…in your own way and I appreciate it.” She pulled the child closer once again. “Look Tarren sometimes Momma’s have to do things that are really hard even though they don’t want to.”

The little girl frowned at the thought. “Ya mean like when I get a spankin from Momma cause I did somethin real naughty?” she asked, not really eager to bring up the possibility of such an event.

The queen nodded and tapped the child on the leg. “That’s exactly it.”

 

Tarren let her small fingers finger the silver beads around her new Aunt’s neck. “But your little boy wasn’t naughty.  Why are you punishin him Aunt Eph?”

Ephiny struggled with a way to explain her actions realizing that only weeks ago she would have told this child to mind her manners and shut up. Now the Amazon Aunt was eager to offer explanation to this small child that seemed to be like a sponge constantly in need of information to help understand the world around her. “I’m not punishing him Junior…or I don’t want to.  I just need to do what I feel is best for him just like Xena does for you.” She paused and lowered her eyes. “And believe me youngster it hurts me a lot to have him away from me,” she replied, feeling an all too familiar lump forming in her throat.


 

Tarren lowered her head as soon as she realized her words had caused her friend pain. “I’m sorry Aunt Eph. I didn’t wanna hurt your feelings but kids need Mommas.  I need mine.  I wish she was here right now even if it meant I’d get the really big one.  I love her lots and I sure do miss her.”  In an instant the small child’s cheeks were again covered with tears.

 

Ephiny held the youngster close. “It’s Ok…I know you miss your momma and we’re both gonna see her real soon. I promise.” She forced a smile in an effort to keep the sick child focused and talking. “Now in the meantime tell me more of what Xena says about being a good mother. It’s obvious I can use the help,” she whispered, not sure if it was really part of her strategy or the truth.

 

Tarren sniffled a bit and wiped a few stray tears away with the back of her hand before again wagging the little finger. “ Momma says that kids belong with their Momma’s and any excuses that people make is just Argo droppings.” 

 

Ephiny covered her own face with her own hand and hid a smile. “Really is that what she says?  And does she let you say that?” she asked with a smirk, remembering the scolding the child had received for swearing just days earlier.

The youngster immediately shook her head and looked at the queen with pleading eyes. “Uh no…Aunt Eph…Do we haffta tell her I said it?  I am in lots of trouble already ya know.”

 

 

The queen grinned and tilted her head to one side. “No we don’t have to tell her…this time.” She paused and thought of her son. All of a sudden it seemed important to make it clear to Tarren just why Xenon was not living in the village for a while. “Tarren I want you to understand that the reason my son is not with me is because I love him…not because I don’t.”

 

Maybe it was not Tarren the queen was trying to convince.

 

The child lowered her eyes feeling sad for this little boy she had never met. “Ok Aunt Eph…if you say so but all I know is that I don’t care how much trouble I get in or where we go…I’d never ever wanna be away from my Momma for nothin…not for all the candy in Greece even.”

This was a great compliment.

 

Ephiny settled back against the wall wondering if perhaps Xena and therefore Tarren were both right and she should bring her son home.  It was definitely something she would consider. She glanced at the little moppet lying so close to her heart that she could feel the child’s breath on her skin.  “Hey Junior would you trade Gabrielle for a bag of candy?” she asked with a smile, wondering just how the youngster viewed the bard in her life.

 

The answer was immediate and without hesitation. “Oh no! She’s my Gabby.

 

The Aunt grinned at the term. “And just what is a Gabby?” she asked, looking for a definition of the strange nickname.

 

Tarren hated when grown-ups needed precise instructions on the obvious but made an attempt at explanation anyway.  “Ya know…a Gabby.  She tells me stories and helps take care of me and stuff.”

 

“Well doesn’t your Momma do that?” the Amazon asked with a smirk, knowing Xena was putting her greatest efforts into becoming the best mother in Greece.

”Yeah but she does it like a Momma not like a Gabby.  Don’t you understand the difference Aunt Eph?” the little voice asked with frustration.

The queen smiled and kissed the little girl gently on the cheek.  “I think I am beginning to understand a lot of things Junior.”

 

The youngster sighed with relief happy not to have to attempt at a further definition of her family. “Can I ask you a question without you getting mad at me?”

Ephiny chuckled a bit at the way the question had been asked. “Oh this sounds bad.  Do go ahead and ask. I promise I won’t get mad Junior.”

The growing wealth of affection the Amazon had for this warrior’s child was becoming more obvious with every word spoken

The little girl tilted her head to the side a bit and stared at the Amazons standing in the shadows of the fire.  There were so many unfamiliar faces.  She had heard that all the prisoners were Amazons and yet some wore feather and others did not.  They all seemed the same but were quite different.

 

The youngster coughed a bit and nestled her head in her Aunt’s side. “Aunt Eph…Are Amazons all one family?”

The queen raised a brow surprised by the simplicity of the question. This seemed too easy but it was still a question deserving an answer.  She took a deep breath and stared at the dark images of the group. “Yes once long ago we were as one family Tarren. You remember the story I told you of the Legend of the Last Amazon with queen Reea?”

Tarren immediately smiled as she remembered the wonderful story she had been told on the trail. “Uh huh… it was a really great story Aunt Eph.”

Ephiny tilted her head to one side again and ran her slender fingers through the youngster’s mop of damp hair. “You see Tarren it was more than just a story.  It really happened.  It’s part of my history.  As a matter of fact queen Reea was my ancestor...That means part of my family.” She paused long enough to allow the awe struck child to absorb this new information. “At that time long ago we were like one big family and now….” She shrugged her shoulders. “We are lots of little families spread out all over the place.  That’s why we have been having these big talks at the village.  We’re trying to become one big family again. Can you understand that Tarren?” she asked, knowing that at the child’s age it would seem like a lot.

Tarren bit her lip and thought about the situation and all the information she had just been given. “No but that’s OK.  Momma says someday I’ll understand all the stupid stuff grown-ups do,” she replied still amazed that Ephiny was relate to the legend in one of her favorite stories.

 

The queen smiled. “Well in the meantime can you understand that it’s really important to have all the Amazons be one family again just like you and Xena and Gabrielle…always together and always helping one another.”

 

The small child blinked her answer but then again bit her lip as if trying to decide if her next questions should be asked. “But aren’t ya all from different places and stuff?” she asked.

Ephiny took a deep breath as she thought of just how wide spread the tribes of the once mighty nation had indeed become. “Yes we are but we are all Amazons Tarren and I hope that is enough to make us one people and keep us together.” She paused and tapped her finger on the little girl’s chest. “Besides youngster it’s what’s in ones heart that makes one a family not where one comes from.” 

Again little Tarren tried to arch a brow. “Ya mean like I keep telling ya about my Gabby?” she asked with her own little smirk.

“Yeah just like your Gabby,” the Amazon replied with a nod, for the first time realizing that in this child’s heart Gabrielle was indeed true family.

 

Tarren smiled proudly knowing she had one some small battle. “So then that’s a good thing…family being together. Right Aunt Eph?”

The queen could feel the hairs on the back of her neck stand up knowing that this small child of the Warrior Princess was circling for an attack the Amazon had no defense for. “A very good thing and you know it,” she replied.


There was a twinkle in the little girl’s blue eyes that said the time for dropping the net had arrived. “Oh…Can I ask the question that’s gonna make ya mad now?”

 

Ephiny placed her hands up in mock surrender. “I knew it had been too easy…Go ahead finish me. Your strategy is just like Xena’s and you talk faster than Gabrielle. I know I can’t win,” she said with a soft smile.

There was a giggle mixed with a low husky cough and the youngster grinned knowing she had just earned a compliment of great value. “Ok Aunt Eph if you’re real sure…See I was just thinkin that if you’re havin all these talks and stuff to make Amazons a big family like me Momma and Gabby cause it’s important even though you’re all different….” She took a quick breath. “Then how come your little boy has to stay away just cause he’s different?  Ya see I’m much smaller than Momma and Gabby and I don’t like vegeterribles and stuff and I get in lots of trouble all the time cause Momma says that’s what little kids do…especially hers…and….” Another breath is taken. “Momma says there is just no one in the world like me…Yup I’m one of a kind she says…and Momma hasn’t sent me away.”

The words held a child’s wisdom that seemed so pure and insightful and simple that one had to wonder how any grown up did not see the obvious.  If there were a white flag to place in the air surely the mighty queen would have done so.

 

“Amazing.” Ephiny stared at the little girl for a very long moment as she considered the question.  All of a sudden every reason she had given herself for keeping her son, Xenon, with the centaurs had been stripped away by a very small child. 

 

The Aunt gently caressed the youngster’s cheek. “I guess…he really doesn’t Tarren.” She swallowed hard and smiled at the youngster. “I think maybe you and your Momma have the right idea…Family should stick together no matter what and my son should be as much a part of everything that is going on as anyone.”

Tarren sighed heavily.  Training grown ups was really tough on a kid. “So are ya gonna bring your little boy home?” she asked hoping her work was done.

 

 

Ephiny closed her eyes and smiled at the way this youngster had in a moment changed her life around. “I’ll tell you what…When we get out of this mess maybe I’ll bring my son home for a visit so you can meet him.” She paused. “I’ll see how it goes from there. Ok?”

Tarren nodded deciding she was too weak and uncomfortable to push for a more definite response from her regal friend. “Does he like to play Warrior Princess?” she asked hopefully, thinking of her favorite game.

Realizing that the child had no idea just what a centaur was made the queen suppress a chuckle. “Uh no…Centaur King is more his game,” she replied quietly.

 

The youngster frowned at the response realizing the boy she had just worked in defense of did not even play games she knew. “Oh…Does he like to play in the mud? Cause I really like covering up in mud and acting like I’m part of the tree.  Momma told me that’s the best way to hide…Ya gotta be one with nature Momma says…That’s how I hide from Eponon so easy.” She chuckled a bit and let her voice drop to a husky whisper. “But don’t tell her. It would spoil all the fun.” She chuckled and coughed.

 

Ephiny started to smile and then as if struck by the thunder of Zeus, her eyes widened.  “That’s it!  That’s how we’re gonna get out of here.”  She looked down at the little girl. “You Junior are a genius just like your Momma.”

 

Tarren smiled broadly.  While she was still not quite sure what a genius was.  The child did know that any comparison to her mother had to be a very good thing.  “Thanks Aunt Eph.”

 

The great queen hugged the little girl tight.  “No thank you for reminding me that everything we do or see has value. It’s all in how we use it.” She looked to the rest of the Amazons who were not staring oddly at their overly exuberant queen. “Gather around Amazons.  Tarren and I have a plan to get out of this rat hole.”

 

Continued...


Return to The Bard's Corner